Are we using our " european champions " status ? - In the transfer market ......

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby fivecups » Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:20 pm

Fernando Morientes > 19 < wrote:Is Liverpool fc using the power of being European Champions in the transfer market ?

We haven't had a signing up to now. The  English Yankees are on the verge of signing Park Ji Sung, Newcastle got Scott Parker although they can't promise first team football.

I trust Rafa in the transfer market but it appears to be so long before we making the our first move. It appears that we are almost certain on signing Jose Reina, who in my opinion is fabulous, but nothing has happened yet and Frenchman Sebastien Frey is also available for around 7 millions Euros.

Gabriel Milito will certainly be a great addition. Watched him play a couple of times with Villareal and Argentina and can tell you that he is solid and composed defender.

Bolo Zenden would prove to be great on the left wing. Proven talent in the premiership and would also certainly be playing as Harry Kewell is always injured(ex fan of the aussie).

Dirk Kuyt - Watched him a couple of times. Scores a lot and phenomenal work rate. No comparison to Chelsea' s Kezman. Dirk is a different player. He is always back helping in defence. Hope Mr Parry will get him.

Luis Figo - would be great addition but the determining factors would be the age and 'w'age. Great crosser of the ball.

Andy Johnson - wouldn't really want him at Liverpool ,firstly coz he will cost a lot of money and secondly most of his goals came from the penalty spot.

And now with SWP attending Djbril's wedding, there is more speculation about him joining the Frenchman at Liverpool. We have to be realistic that such players will cost so much of money that we won't be able to buy others. SWP is a great great talent tough.

Peter Crouch - He might be the tallest player but not really a proven goal scorer. Wouldn't want him.

We need some quality and cheap backups as well for our midfield.

I'm sure we will see a totally different fernando morientes in the coming season. I believe he will get us some great assists and some great goals.

I have also noticed that Gerard Houllier is also tracking those we are tracking ? Is he fed up of signing the future " Zidane"(Cheyrou) , or future " Henry "(Le Tallec) and future "Makelele"(Diarra)?

Any views ?

Excellent, thoughtful post.

I think it's hard not to get 'itchy feet' at this time. I think Rafa's refusing to buy just for the sake of it - he wants to get the right men in and that can only be good for the club.

I think Zara's right as well though. Everyone knows we're European Champions - and that coupled with the fact that we'll be playing in the CL again next season makes us a much more desirable club.

I'd love to see SWP at Liverpool - but he's going to be overpriced and would probably prefer Arsenal. I like Andy Johnson as a striker, he looked good even in his Birmingham days, and he'll always give everything for the team - but again - overpriced.

Peter Crouch just doesn't look like a footballer to me - I keep waiting for him to snap. We know Rafa is interested though so who am I to argue.

There's still plenty of time left in the transfer market.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:11 am

I CAN'T WAIT 'till the season starts because I'm tired of negativity about us not buying players quickly, players being linked with us that fans don't want then a whole lot of b1tching getting started of it,etc..

Benitez won the Champions League in nine months, I had faith him then and I'll have faith in him now during the transfer window. We're in safe hands, end of discussion really.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:42 am

Fernando Morientes > 19 < wrote:Is Liverpool fc using the power of being European Champions in the transfer market ?

You might be overestimating the "power" inferred by being champions of europe .Financial considerations aside, I didn't see a posse of top players become suddenly desperate to sign for Porto when they won it.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby wil-kop » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:56 am

You might be overestimating the "power" inferred by being champions of europe .Financial considerations aside, I didn't see a posse of top players become suddenly desperate to sign for Porto when they won it.

interesting point that mate, but we have the added bonus of being a really successful club in the past as well as this. There was a stage about 4 years ago when houllier bought a few players from all over the place n they all said they were "liverpool" fans when they were youngsters. This shows that players all around the world hold an admiration for liverpool football club and to be frank who wouldn't want to play for a team with a past as glorious as ours?
"Thats it, game well and truly over, and I hate to say that" - Andy Gray - he always was a gobsh*ite
wil-kop

Postby Fernando Morientes > 19 < » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:51 am

Well said Wil-Kop.

Just read on SkySports.Com that Mr Houllier is also tracking Dirk Kuyt.

I think he no more believes in the concept of future stars such as Bruno Zidane, Erik Meijer & Saun Dundee(1999), El-Hadji Ronaldo, Salif Makelele, Jean-Michel Ferri(1999),etc...

Karlheinz Riedle and Paul Ince did well though. At least Troare and Biscan have improved under Rafa.

!!! Lol !!!
"He is the player that Liverpool have been looking for." - Ian Rush
Fernando Morientes > 19 <
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:37 am

wil-kop wrote:to be frank who wouldn't want to play for a team with a past as glorious as ours?

To be frank , how about Michael Owen for starters ?
Don't let your heart interfere with your brain.   :kungfu:
Last edited by woof woof ! on Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby wil-kop » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:47 am

i dunno what you talkin bout mate michael owen DID play 4 us and he swapped us for one of the best teams in europe (in which we werent classed this time last year) he probably thought taht he had no chance of winning any more major honours than he already had won at liverpool. Another thing is that michael owen has not ruled out a return to us in the future so it seems undoubtable that owen likes the club
"Thats it, game well and truly over, and I hate to say that" - Andy Gray - he always was a gobsh*ite
wil-kop

Postby stmichael » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:50 am

wil-kop wrote:michael owen DID play 4 us and he swapped us for one of the best teams in europe

remind me what real madrid have won in the last two years again? ???

they're a team in decline. their days of just throwing a team of world superstars together and winning things have long gone.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby wil-kop » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:53 am

yea but u know very well that seeing them not do well only encourages them to whip out the big bad boy of a wallet that their president has! they have basically alredy signed robinho this summer and will probably nab a couple more players. they definitely are not a spent force and i doubt it will be long before their winning comes back
wil-kop

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:54 am

wil-kop wrote:i dunno what you talkin bout mate michael owen DID play 4 us and he swapped us for one of the best teams in europe (in which we werent classed this time last year) he probably thought taht he had no chance of winning any more major honours than he already had won at liverpool. Another thing is that michael owen has not ruled out a return to us in the future so it seems undoubtable that owen likes the club

You asked the question "who wouldn't want to play for a team with a past as glorious as ours" 

Michael Owen left us for another team so obviously he didn't want to play for us .

Am I going to fast for yer "mate"
Last edited by woof woof ! on Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby wil-kop » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:57 am

no not at all i dont think ur gettin what im sayin. michael owen did leave but he didnt necessarily not want to play 4 us. if he would have not wanted to play 4 us he would have handed in a transfer request and actually a week or so before the owen deal was done to real he said that he was happy at liverpool. we decided to sell him, and usually when your team accepts a bid from a team like real you dont refuse to go to them
wil-kop

Postby stmichael » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:01 pm

wil-kop wrote:no not at all i dont think ur gettin what im sayin. michael owen did leave but he didnt necessarily not want to play 4 us. if he would have not wanted to play 4 us he would have handed in a transfer request.

or simply refused to sign a contract which was branded under his nose for the best part of a year. ???

oh wait a minute, that rings a bell :veryangry
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby wil-kop » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:02 pm

yea maybe because the contract we offered wasnt good enough
wil-kop

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:08 pm

Wil Kop if Owen wanted to play for us he would still be here . But lets not turn this into a debate on Owen . Your original question was about "who wouldn't want to play for us " my response is merely to point out that you might be geting a tad carried away with that remark. A certain A J Boumsong turned us down to go an play in Scotland  ! Scotland :D  ffs .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby wil-kop » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:09 pm

ur right there but that was plainly because rangers offered more money to him and to be honest im glab cos hes looked poor in the prem with the barcodes
wil-kop

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion