Predictions for the season.. - How are we gonmna go?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Scottbot » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:30 am

Dalglish wrote:On my own personal away day blues that was quite a few seasons ago and I'm happy to report that my recent record on "aways" has improved significantly ! :D

In the season before last we lost just 2 games away all season (Boro and Spurs), I was at neither ! :O

I can't talk mate, only did 3 games last season, all aways, Chelsea, Reading and Blackburn. Say no more! :D
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:34 am

That's 2 draws and a loss.............should be enough to stave off relegation ! :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:42 am

Dalglish wrote:That's 2 draws and a loss.............should be enough to stave off relegation ! :D

Yep, 270 minutes of football and the only goals scored came from Chelsea players! Hoping for better luck this season. To be honest the season can't start soon enough for me, no matter what happens in the summer. I just wanna get on with it and try and pretend last season never happened!
Last edited by Scottbot on Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:49 am

SouthCoastShankly wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:Cisse has just said he wants to come back and play for us ???

Your Siamese twin will be changing her name back then.  :p

???  ???
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:54 am

NANNY RED wrote:
SouthCoastShankly wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:Cisse has just said he wants to come back and play for us ???

Your Siamese twin will be changing her name back then.  :p

???  ???

Think he means Lynds changing back to her original 'Cisses gonna get ya' name Sange!
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DaMo » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:14 am

The Premiership
Chelsea
Man Utd
Man City
Liverpool
Arsenal
Tottenham

The Cups
I can see us having a good run in one, possibly even both domestic cups. If Roy can get a mediocre Fulham side to the Europa League final, I don't see why we can't be in at least one cup final.

Rejuvenated players
Aquilani: I can see Aquilani proving a lot of people wrong and being a big player for us. It's laughable that he was considered "the worst singing" last signing in some sections of the media considering the amount of time he was injured and/or out of the team due to still building up his fitness. If he doesn't get injured, I can see him doing well and I don't read too much into him not getting into the Italian squad for the WC. When he played for us last season, I felt that he showed enough touches and vision to suggest that he's capable of creating chances. I find it difficult to write him off until he's had the playing time.

Babel: After reading Yossi's interview (even if it did seem bitter and made him look a right :censored:, in my opinion), I could just about imagine Rafa saying similar things to Babel. i.e. Telling him he's not performing well enough, telling him how he needs to improve, etc. That approach obviously works with some players, Torres being a great example with many of the view that Rafa made him the player he is today, but I doubt this approach was good for Babel. Under a different manager with (presumably) a different style of man management, I can see a confident Babel thriving and ceasing to look a liability.

Lucas: He was never going to be able to for us what Alonso did, but even his harshest critics usually concede that he he looks decent going forward. Who knows, maybe in Roy's system he'll be able to do that more often than at any point previously, and looking a different player in the process. Of course, he could just as easily be surplus to requirements, especially if Gerrard is no longer in the hole and brought into central midfield.

As for the Man City semi-tangent, it's only a matter of time until they're there or thereabouts. I was surprised to see David Silva sign for them, but I suppose it's a sign of the times when some top players don't care too much about not playing in the CL providing there is a lucrative contract on offer. I still think it's too soon for them to genuinely challenge for the title, but to dismiss them as an amalgamation of mercenaries is no different to what people used to say about Chelsea. It seems that the Sheikh is there to stay and he will continue to invest aggressively, therefore City will be strong. Still think the league the will be a two horse race between United and Chelsea, but I can see why some think that they already have the foundations to challenge. Personally, I believe there will be at least one managerial change before the club is stable enough for that.

Regarding the current optimism/pessimism about how we'll fare in the league, as much as I hate to say it, I feel that this represents continuity of what was the pro vs anti divide. At the moment, due to the fact that we have little else to go by and can only speculate about future transfer activity, we're pretty much going by how we rate the squad. For those who think the players were the main factor in our awful showing last season, they don't see us doing well this time around for that reason. Alternatively, for those who believe Rafa was the main factor, it's only natural that they'll be optimistic about the current playing squad doing better under a new manager. I don't believe anyone is being overly optimistic or pessimistic, per se. I just think that in most cases, how you felt before pretty much determines your view now.
Last edited by DaMo on Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaMo

Postby laza » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:19 am

Scottbot wrote:I just wanna get on with it and try and pretend last season never happened!

Amen to that and now that World Cup isnt  providing me with a distraction. I just want the season to start so hopefully all this silly off season media fueled  malarky can come to an end

My expectations are lower as we have a new manager however we have as already stated still strong cadre of a team.
One of worst things for me last year besides our own form and owner situation was the title in respect to previous seasons was there for the taking.

Both Chelsea and Man U dropped a lot unexpected points, it will certainly be interesting to see if the league is as open this season. Throw in the World Cup fatigue factor which Im sure some managers will be using as excuse by end of September and I cant wait for opening match kick off.
Last edited by laza on Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:47 am

TWO MORE GONE,
sad about Duran though he was thought of very highly but sadly injuries ,

Liverpool have confirmed that both Francisco Duran and Nikolay Mihaylov have left the club.
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby In and Out » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:04 am

Scottbot wrote:
Dalglish wrote:Whilst I appreciate the mess we are in at present, I believe the doom and gloom pervading the club has filtered through to the future aspirations of the Fans of LFC. This must be what it feels like supporting  Wigan or Sunderland !

Maybe it's just me (it usually is!) but I think we may well surprise even ourselves this coming season.

Chelsea are an ageing side, United are ultra reliant on Rooney and City could implode under the weight of the players ego's.

That leaves Arsenal and Spurs. Spurs lack the pedigree to sustain but might surprise so for me it will be Arsenal who finally convert their huge potential and deliver the Premiership title to their next generation.

Us ? Keep Torres and Gerrard and we have a serious chance of making the Top 4. As good as Masca is, he will be easier to replace than Stevie and Fernando. You could argue that we have Lucas to fill in that role except he can't tackle !

Whatever the case there are several players currently on the books who have got to step up to the line and deliver. Choose any from Rierra, Babel, Agger, Skirtel, Ngog and to a lesser extent but no less important Acquilani.

The spine of the team is excellent Reina ,Carra, Masca, Gerrard, Torres would grace any top team in any league. Ok maybe I'm being nostalgic over Jamie !

I remain optimistic that we can have a big say in who ultimatly wins the Prem and maybe, just maybe we can make the Top4 and build from there.

Walk on ............

Nice and optimistic which is good to hear from a regular match goer. Careful not to listen to Lynds though coz she will remind you that Hodgson only won one game away all of last season and if you couple that with your (I seem to remember) very dubious record at away matches and we'll be doomed!

It's funny coz every year under Rafa we go into the new season full of hope that we might have a run at the title and virtually every year we were out of it by December. this year it's the complete opposite, we've been written off by the press and the majority of our fan base it seems. don't think we'll be putting in a title charge but I also have a feeling we'll surprise a few people, not least our own fans.

I thought it was common knowledge that those who live in Liverpool and that those who are regular match goers held the consensus that we're doomed and that we'll be relegated. " ???"

Perhaps Mr beergoggles is wrong when he speaks for the people of Liverpool and regular match goers.
Football is a relatively simple game and Roy knows it ;)
In and Out
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:16 am

Well that's a can of worms opened up right there
Benny The Noon

Postby stmichael » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:16 am

Scottbot wrote:
Dalglish wrote:On my own personal away day blues that was quite a few seasons ago and I'm happy to report that my recent record on "aways" has improved significantly ! :D

In the season before last we lost just 2 games away all season (Boro and Spurs), I was at neither ! :O

I can't talk mate, only did 3 games last season, all aways, Chelsea, Reading and Blackburn. Say no more! :D

don't worry. mine was worse. i went to the following away games:

leeds (won 1-0 but could easily have lost).

sunderland (were absolutely awful, beachball goal etc)

blackburn (0-0. possibly the worst game of "football i've ever seen)

villa (appalling weather and a dreadful game rescued by a last minute winner from torres.

man city (took over blackburn as the worst game of football i've ever seen).

:D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Redman in wales » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:22 am

NANNY RED wrote:TWO MORE GONE,

Liverpool have confirmed that both Francisco Duran and Nikolay Mihaylov have left the club.

meh. neither were ever gonna feature in the first team.

Duran had most promise, but was very unlucky with injuries.  he will turn 23 next season, so hardly a spring chicken anymore
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:23 pm

NANNY RED wrote:TWO MORE GONE,

Squad needed trimming, sad thing is these players were almost on a conveyor belt in and out of LFC without ever getting near the 1st team.

Maybe someone would like to produce a list of players signed and sold during Rafa's reign without ever getting into the 1st XI (squad)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby brentd4 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:06 pm

1.chelsea
2.man utd
3.man city
4.tottenham
5.liverpool
6.arsenal

fa cup.     man city
league cup.     chelsea
brentd4

Postby bigmick » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:11 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:Well that's a can of worms opened up right there

Where's the picture Ben, I always thought that and the broken record were the best pitctorial posts. That and the Kerry Katona (Ciggy's?).
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion