Liverpool 2007/08 - Season predictions

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Rafa D » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:53 am

Well, well, well folks its that time of year again. After a good few months of the summer sun (yeah get fucked summer!) and intense speculation the football season is nearly upon us. This has been one of the weirdest pre-seasons for me in living memory what with the whole West Ham / Sheff Utd arbitration, the prolonged and drawn out transfer of Carlos Tevez which will enivitably end up with the Manc's signing one of the most exciting players in the Premiership last year (from April onwards!). Also Liverpool have actually done well and acted fast!  :wwww

This time last year I was awaiting the first "competitive" game of the season against Chelsea in the F.A Community Shield. This year we are not in the Community Shield but a whole lot of things have changed this year compared to last. Firstly we are actually winning our pre-season friendlies, not much to shout about but it instills a winning mentality and all that. Secondly and more importantly considering Rafa's public attack on the lacklustre methods of the club, the club has actually gone about their business quietly, efficiently and effectively. Babel, Yossi, Torres, Voronin, Lucas and possibly Heinze, if we are to believe that this matter is being pushed all the way by Liverpool, are the main names that will stand out as our pieces of summer business and rightly so. Torres is a Spanish international and I have no qualms with him becoming our new record signing, Yossi has been admired from a distance for a while now by Rafa and I'm sure he is much bigger part of his plans than a stop gap to fill the void by Luis Garcia (he drinks sangria, he came from.... :sniffle   going to miss that). Voronin we all know won't hack it and we won't even give the lad a chance. Sell,SELL, SELL!!  :D, in all seriousness, he might just shock a few people. And finally Ryan Babel and Lucas Leiva. Ryan Babel for me is the most exciting transfer we have done this season. And to be quite honest, before this summers U21 Euro 2008, I had never seen the lad play. Some will point out I should not expect so much from a young lad and some will argue he's rubbish as they might have seen more of him, however I am not excited by what I saw at the Euro's so-much, I am excited at what his transfer shows us, our opponents and the footballing world. He is exactly the type of player (along with Lucas) that before this season, Liverpool wouldn't of dreamed of going for. I actually said this to a friend during the Euro's about Babel, I said "we should go after him, but we won't". He's young, full of potential and highly coveted in the footballing world.

The reason we didn't go after these players before Uncle Tom and Uncle George, was because of a few factors. Firstly and most importantly was the price. As we all know we did not have the financial muscle to compete with the likes of Man Utd and Chelsea over the last few years, therefore to spend 12m and 7m on two young and talented players under the age of 20 would of been a big big risk. We were always playing catch up anyway, so to spend our budgets on players who can't guarantee anything would of been unwise. Secondly our club is a lot more exposed now worldwide thanks to the unheralded success that Rafa has acheived in the European Cup. Coupled this with the fact that we havbe brand new owners with a big brand new stadium on the way and players know we are going the right way. Up.

Coupled with the 32 teenagers we have signed it looks like we really are looking at nuturing talent for the long term. A very good thing in my opinion.

I am not going to get ahead of myself, because we all know the pitfalls that awaited us in the first few months of last season, were we were out of the league come the end of September, but its very exciting to be a Liverpool fan now, and all for the right reasons. So I am asking everyone for there predictions on how the new season ahead will go, the glory, the tears and what will we all be saying come the end of May next year:

League Position  -  Not going to name a position, top 3 yet again and I think, think we might just put in a good challenge.

Any Cups    -   No

Top Scorer  -  Dirk Kuyt

Surprise Package   -  Dirk Kuyt, expect a hell of a season from the dutchman. He started brilliantly last year but came in for some stick and has been harshly labelled a workhorse, I expect him to score a lot next year. John Arne Riise will also improve immeasurably next year IMO, he always seems to have one good year, one bad year and last year he was attrocious.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:58 am

I would disagree with you about Kuyt, I hope im wrong though.

I think we will win a trophy this season, I don't know which one, but we will win one.

I expect us to challenge for the title this season, hopefully we can give Manc and Chelsea something to worry about.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Elchris » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:07 pm

A great season for gerrard and alonso  , our midfield will start banging in goals .
Pennant to be one of the best premiership wingers.
Kewell back on form.
All our strikers getting 10-15 goals which we all know are capable of doing that.
Agger to stamp why he needs to be liverpool main no.1 centreback.

That is what i am hoping for. We have a fair chance to challenge the title but i think we'll finish top 3 with a very close gap..!!
Elchris

Postby Rafa D » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:10 pm

metalhead wrote:I expect us to challenge for the title this season, hopefully we can give Manc and Chelsea something to worry about.

That's the consensus of most fans I believe and at least it drops from the expectation that we placed on the players last year when most believed the title could be won.
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:14 pm

Elchris wrote:A great season for gerrard and alonso  , our midfield will start banging in goals .
Kewell back on form.
All our strikers getting 10-15 goals which we all know are capable of doing that.

That is what i am hoping for. We have a fair chance to challenge the title but i think we'll finish top 3 with a very close gap..!!

If, A BIG IF, all of that happened that I would have no doubt in my mind that we would be there or there abouts come the end of the season. We missed Gerrards goals a lot last year and I just hope we see Stevie G of 2005/06 where he was scoring for fun. Xabi's goal's are few and far between so I dont expect more than 3 or 4 goals from him, do you expect more than that? How many?

Pennant, ah, Jermaine Pennant, will he hack it? he certainly showed signs of his quality towards the end of last year and from all accounts he has been a star man in most of the pre-season friendlies but I still having a nagging doubt about his work ethic and his attitude on the field. He feels sorry for himself too much and is too quick off the mark to praise his own sub-standard game. I would love though for him to prove me wrong.
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:21 pm

I am hoping we are still in with a shout of the title come May, any other cup will be a bonus, but I want us to make a real challenge for the EPL more than anything this season.

Like Metalhead I don't think Kuyt will be top scorer, but hope he proves me wrong and has a great season. I think Torres may actually live up to his price tag and finish top scorer.

Surprises :- Kewell staying fit and having a great season, and Voronin getting more games and doing much better than expected.

Expected :- Reina, Finnan, Carra, Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano, and Torres to be our mainstays with Gerrard as player of the season.

I also hope Lucas gets a few games to show what he can do.

Fears :- Out of the league by November, Torres turns out worse than Sabre said, and we get loads of injuries.
account deleted by request

Postby Elchris » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:28 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:
Elchris wrote:A great season for gerrard and alonso  , our midfield will start banging in goals .
Kewell back on form.

If, A BIG IF, all of that happened that I would have no doubt in my mind that we would be there or there abouts come the end of the season. We missed Gerrards goals a lot last year and I just hope we see Stevie G of 2005/06 where he was scoring for fun. Xabi's goal's are few and far between so I dont expect more than 3 or 4 goals from him, do you expect more than that? How many?

Pennant, ah, Jermaine Pennant, will he hack it? he certainly showed signs of his quality towards the end of last year and from all accounts he has been a star man in most of the pre-season friendlies but I still having a nagging doubt about his work ethic and his attitude on the field. He feels sorry for himself too much and is too quick off the mark to praise his own sub-standard game. I would love though for him to prove me wrong.

Typed that with a Big HOPE in my heart...

Just thinking the new signings will help the squad a lot and bring in confidence, freshness , which will help gerrard. Alonso not a typical goal scorer but if he can dictate the game well we can see alot of assit from him which results in more goals for others to score.

About pennant , it's his make or break season , he's capable , in the end itz all up to him. Doing alrite until now.

If the injuries are being kind we'll do good
Elchris

Postby heimdall » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:47 pm

I'm also optimistic for the coming season but don't think we'll win the league this tiem either. BUT I do expect us to win a cup, just have a funny feeling about it, I don't think it will be champions league thoguh so hopefully the FA Cup again!!!!  :D

What I do expect is for a big improvement in the overall team and us pushing Manure and Chavski all the way.
heimdall

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:53 pm

If we have an average season we will win the league-champions league and league cup :D
Yet if we perform as well as we can the FA Cup shouldn't be a problem either :D

In all serious though I do expect us to win the league, simply because I do every year. Other competitions I don't care about this year, I'm only interested in the league. As for top scorer then I'm going to pick Peter Crouch (that is if he plays) Players I'm looking for to impress are Dirk Kuyt needs to improve a lot. He runs his heart out but his overall game needs work IMO. Pennant if he can keep the form he showed at the back end of last year then he'll be fine. Alonso/Sissoko/Mascheranho at least 15 goals from the 3 of them. Torres a lot of money been spent we need something in return. Babel the same as Torres.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby burjennio » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:13 pm

I not gonna make any predictions because they ALWAYS come back to bite me in the bbag! I just hope that by the end of October we're within 3pts of the top of the table, then the game is on my friends!
burjennio

Postby Forever_Red » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:33 pm

we need to survive the begining of the season, particularly the away fixtures, I expect us to be within a shout for the title for sure

I agree with Doddy about Dirk, he did well in his first season (better than Drogba did in his) and think now he has experience in this league he will improve a lot on last season)

My biggest fear is Torres as well, I hope he can adapt to this league quickly, he'ss either be really good or really bad...heres hoping! :D
Reclaim The Kop

YNWA
Forever_Red

Postby Forever_Red » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:42 pm

Alonso/Sissoko/Mascheranho

Sissoko....you sure mate? :D
Reclaim The Kop

YNWA
Forever_Red

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:44 pm

Dirk done better than Drogba did in Drogba's first year but did Kuyt do as well as Kevin Doyle in Doyle's first year.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Forever_Red » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:04 pm

a good pooint but the Kuyt's first season has shown some promise hasn't it?
Reclaim The Kop

YNWA
Forever_Red

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:07 pm

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:Dirk done better than Drogba did in Drogba's first year but did Kuyt do as well as Kevin Doyle in Doyle's first year.

Doyle played for Reading, the Drogba comparison is at least on the same level.
LFC2007

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion