10th or below
No votes

Total votes : 78

Postby TheLad » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:41 pm

3rd and i will be very happy with that
TheLad
LFC Super Member

Postby TarnRed » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:51 pm

bavlondon wrote:I don't think Spurs will finish in the top 4 again. I also think with the money they are spending City should be favorites for a top 4 finish. It's going to be quite hard tbh but it is possible. I suppose not having to worry about CL football means we use our top players more sparingly so we are fresher for league games. I know we should be looking to win the Europa League but to be honest even the group stages it should be a piece of :censored: to get through even if we rotate a few players.

Totally agree with this. Had to laugh at Redknapp on SSN yesterday thinking they can win the league with 3 signings... :p

If we don't suffer the injuries we have over the last few seasons, Hodgson has the team set out in a way where we go out to win the game rather than thinking about not losing first then I'm well confident we can finish at least 4th.
TarnRed

Postby tubby » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:57 pm

Yeah we could really do with a bit of luck going our way this season with injuries. Our first few games are quite touch but even City play 3 of last seasons top 4 in their first few too.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:11 pm

As things stand now I'll say 6th, just losing out to spurs for 5th.
Our squad just isn't good enough an NO, Kuyt "type" players will not win us trophies!

GK: Reina (Cavalieri)  good
RB: Johnson (Kelly) decent enough
LB: in the market for 1 or 2 apparently (Darby seemed decent backup) no need to comment
CB: Carra, Agger (Skrtel, Greek, Wilson?) Carra will only get worse as he was already in decline last season. Don't think any of the rest is a stalwart which you need a the back to end up in the top positions. Don't buy that Agger is so great. Injury prone and weak.
CM: Gerrard, Mascherano, Aquilani (Lucas, Shelvey?)
Masch is a big question mark, Lucas is never going to be good enough ans Shelvey is too young.
LM: Joe Cole (Jovanovic, Babel) Babel is terrible at the left and Jovanovic is a big question mark as to what he can do.
RM: Kuyt (Maxi, Babel?) Kuyt= accepting mediocrity
ST: Torres (need one more, Ngog) with other words we have 1 striker that can deliver on a constant basis.

We have lost 4 players and got 2 new ones and invested a mighty -15 million. Transfer fee spent= £0

1. Chelski
2. Manure
3. Arsenal
4. City
5. Spurs
6. us
7. Villa

If we get lucky with injuries we might sneak 5th.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby LittleHobo » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:06 pm

defence worries me alot

last season it wasnt good enough and this year carra is a year older and both agger and skertel aint got no better...still glen johnson is a poor defender who should be a right winger

with the same defence i predict 6th
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby TarnRed » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:18 pm

LittleHobo wrote:defence worries me alot

last season it wasnt good enough and this year carra is a year older and both agger and skertel aint got no better...still glen johnson is a poor defender who should be a right winger

with the same defence i predict 6th

This defence conceded the third least goals in the Premier League last season, and was joint with Chelsea for having the most clean sheets.

It wasn't the defence that caused us to finish 7th trust me, having no backup striker(s) and playing the holding midfielders against the likes of Wigan, Wolves, Stoke etc caused us to finish where we ended up.
TarnRed

Postby Greavesie » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:22 pm

correct me if I'm wrong but surely a holding midfielder contributes towards that great defensive record you speak of? ???
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby TarnRed » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:51 pm

yes, as I'm a staunch believer in.

The 2008-2009 season we had what I would call as one holding / DM midfielder in Masch and conceded 27 goals. Last season we had 2 and the constant non imaginative sideways passing put the defence under constant pressure and caused the likes of Gerrard, Kuyt, Riera, Babel etc to drop even deeper leaving a bigger gap between the lone striker and right / centre / left attacking midfielders. Hence the reason why the ball was pinged back so much and our retention of the ball was good but non-creative, hence the defence been put under so much pressure
Last edited by TarnRed on Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TarnRed

Postby bigmick » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:33 pm

TarnRed wrote:yes, as I'm a staunch believer in.

The 2008-2009 season we had what I would call as one holding / DM midfielder in Masch and conceded 27 goals. Last season we had 2 and the constant non imaginative sideways passing put the defence under constant pressure and caused the likes of Gerrard, Kuyt, Riera, Babel etc to drop even deeper leaving a bigger gap between the lone striker and right / centre / left attacking midfielders. Hence the reason why the ball was pinged back so much and our retention of the ball was good but non-creative, hence the defence been put under so much pressure

Good post that mate, pretty much agree with all of it.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:35 pm

Penguins wrote:As things stand now I'll say 6th, just losing out to spurs for 5th.

6th? You were practically predicting releagation a couple of weeks ago so it's nice to see you getting a bit positive.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:56 pm

I think we have the squad to challenge for the title, if everyone stays fit for most of the season.  However, I don't think Hodgson is the man who can take us there.  We could have done it with Mourinho or Cappelo, but not with him.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby dundreamin » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:57 pm

I,ve gone for 3rd. But to be honest back in CL. Yanks sell up and we move on from there. Deffo not bothered about man city a money grabbing circus of mercenaries. And not especially good ones at that. The mange are going to come 2nd proving the prem is nowhere as good as the media make out,but lie sports have to put a spin on it. Chavski to win it at a canter
dundreamin
LFC Super Member

Location: skelmersdale. Land of the roundabouts and utter boredom

Postby Penguins » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:51 pm

bigmick wrote:
Penguins wrote:As things stand now I'll say 6th, just losing out to spurs for 5th.

6th? You were practically predicting releagation a couple of weeks ago so it's nice to see you getting a bit positive.

Very funny. Where is the quote that I predicted relegation?

As ususal you are spewing lies to suit your agenda.

More ignorant than you is hard find, believing everything was Rafa's fault and now all is rosy again.  :no

Who are you going to blame when we end up 5th/6th after the season now that Rafa is gone?
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby ben oseman » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:35 pm

i can definately see us coming in the top 4. we have a great strike force at our disposal, our defence isent to bad when you consider.
alberto aquilani = class footballer. only a matter of time my friends and we will be enlightened
ben oseman

Postby TarnRed » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:44 pm

ben oseman wrote:i can definately see us coming in the top 4. we have a great strike force at our disposal, our defence isent to bad when you consider.

Is dat reyt blud?.
TarnRed

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion