Liverpool 2007/08 - Season predictions

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Forever_Red » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:17 pm

that was my next point...but thanks LFC2007 :D
Reclaim The Kop

YNWA
Forever_Red

Postby kunilson » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:18 pm

top 3. wont get over-excited, not again.

for some reason i think we will win the carling cup, and have a good run in the FA Cup and dont know about the Champs league.
Think Aurelio will do well when he comes back from injury...the new signings i wouldnt wanna say anything at this point. they all look promising though...

top scorer i think will be Crouch. i can see him forming a good partnership with Torres, and i think that although Benitez will initially start playing Torres and Kuyt together more regularly, crouch will be the better option and will win favour. know it sounds far-fetched after last season but i really think this will be a good year for crouch.
Kuyt has shown his work-rate is great, but until i see him playing higher up the line i dont know if he will be that lethal even though he has a great record in holland. .i want to see that with us, hopefully Torres can help bring it out of him like others have said, and rafa will have a great problem on his hands with who to choose up front.
Voronin will be a super sub.
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby Emerald Red » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:33 pm

I'm not going to predict anythng. We all know what's required, now it's up to Rafa and his players to deliver. It's as simple as that.

If we get Chelsea or United in the Champions League or FA (prefere United) and knock them out, and then do them in the league home and away, and be there in with a shout at the end of the season to win the title, I'll take that as a success.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kewell2Dominate » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:47 am

Prem- Top 2
CL- Top 4
FA- Its a lottery but i expect a good run.

Suprises will include kewell scoring 10+ and staying fit. Voronin playing alongside torres on many occasions and scoring goals. Heinze scoring in the 89th min at OT.

Expected. Gerrard player of the year, torres 20+, Carra team of the season, alonso scoring for 50 yards!
Kewell2Dominate

Postby steviec » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:02 am

Dont wannabe a doom merchant but, Heinze has been sh#t for the mancs for 2 years now, so why do we want him?
Save money on expensive binoculars by standing closer to the object you are trying to observe
steviec

Postby burjennio » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:39 am

Although there is another thread for this I want to clear this "Heinze is :censored:" nonsense up here and now.

Heinze is 2nd choice at the mancs only because Evra is more attacking and that is what Taggart prefers. Heinze asked to be transferred to play 1st team football. Taggart then thought he better cash in on his defender knowing he could not kick a ball and get paid for 2 yrs so offered an agreement to his agent stating that if a club matched Utds valuation he would be free to join them. He never expected that bid to come in from the mighty reds so now his panties are in a bunch because if Heinze was to come to us and we were to say, win the frekkin league he would have many accusing fingers pointing straight at him asking why he helped his greatest rivals win their first championship in 18 years

The mind games have well and truly begun
burjennio

Postby stmichael » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:21 pm

I think we'll finish 3rd, possibly 2nd.

I'm expecting Chelsea to win it. They'll get more out of Sheva/Terry/Ballack/Cole/Cech than last season and Essien won't have to spend most of the season out of position. Mourinho will also not be as agitated with Abramovich.

The Mancs will not do as well. Giggs and Scholes will not be as good and a year older. Ronaldo will have a quieter season and the new recruits will be a waste of money.

I'm more concerned with how many points we get than whether we finish 2nd/3rd/4th. If we get 80 points we'll be challenging, anything less than 75 will be abject failure considering the money spent in the last few seasons.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby burjennio » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:09 pm

Mike I agree with you that Utd will be inferior compared to last season, as I believe will Arsenal so I can see it being between us and Chelsea (If we start strong!!). I also think the title will be won with about 10 less points than previous seasons with maybe 80-85points lifting it.
burjennio

Postby burjennio » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:14 pm

And if you know me you'll know that thats a green light to back Arsenal winning the league with about 104points!!!!!!! :p
burjennio

Postby Anfield rapper » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:27 pm

I think the top 3 will be the same as last year with Utd winning it again. If they get Tevez i really cannot see much weakness in their team and think they will just blow teams away. I've got a feeling the season will be frustratingly similar to the last one. Man U will win the first several games and we will drop points early on. I really thought last season was going to be our break through season with Kyut Bellamy and others joining plus the fact that Utd really hadn't seemed to strengthen and the friction between their top two players. I thought it would be between us and Chelsea. Now that Utd have strengthened i can't see much changing. We may possibly overtake Chelsea and take 2nd. I just don't feel the players we have added will be good enough to tear teams apart as Man U do.
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby GOAT » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:53 pm

stmichael wrote:I think we'll finish 3rd, possibly 2nd.

I'm expecting Chelsea to win it. They'll get more out of Sheva/Terry/Ballack/Cole/Cech than last season and Essien won't have to spend most of the season out of position. Mourinho will also not be as agitated with Abramovich.

The Mancs will not do as well. Giggs and Scholes will not be as good and a year older. Ronaldo will have a quieter season and the new recruits will be a waste of money.

I'm more concerned with how many points we get than whether we finish 2nd/3rd/4th. If we get 80 points we'll be challenging, anything less than 75 will be abject failure considering the money spent in the last few seasons.

Source?

:D
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby jeffiroquai » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:05 pm

I think anything anything below top 2 and more than 8 pts off the pace will be disappointing.

Cups- Carling and a trip to Moscow

Players-  Harry Kewell.  I think his run out in the Asian Cup has been a superb pre-season training session for him.  If he can return to the form he had at the end of '04-05, and bang in 10+, I think we have a legitimate shot at the  Prem.  Our backline is solid, we have superb CM, and  enough strike power now (I'll have to change my sig).

As much as I want to go to Moscow in May, I want  the league.
'Obviously Rafa is notorious for chopping and changing but he is chopping and changing with cream and caviar.'-Steve Coppell
jeffiroquai
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:11 pm

The fact that Jose has already come out and started slabbering about us so early, rather than the Mancs, is a sign that he fears us for the coming season, and possibly sees us as the main threat this time. He states that we have to win the league because we spent a few quid. Begging your f*cking pardon, you smug c*nt, but that's not for you to say or to dictate.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:57 pm

Surprise surprise but I think the key is how we approach the season, with the need to establish momnetum early absolutely key. Obviously, as anyone who has read any of my posts over the last couple of years will know, I'm talking about rotation here.

If we approach the season with a desire to find our optimum first-team and largely stick with it until circumstances dictate otherwise ( injuries, players coming off the bench and outperforming those who started, starters losing form, Playing Crouch against teams who like to defend deep, resting the odd player etc etc) then I think we'll go very close to winning the league, infact feck it, I think we'll be champions.

If we on the other hand feck around like we did last season, chopping and changing the team without rhyme or reason until we were too far behind to have a say in matters, we will struggle to finish in the top four as those below us have strengthened.

I've said it a couple of times on here, the first game of the season at Villa will tell all. If we go there with the same type of ridiculous selections as we did at Bramhall Lane last season, and then settle for an extremely fortuitous point at the end, you can forget about the title. If we go there all guns blazing though, going all out for a win for the whole ninety minutes with a sensibly selected team, even if we lose I'll be doing the "you don't lose it on the first game of the season" thing along with everyone else.

Please God, lets hope we have learnt the error of our ways. Chelsea at Home is our next game after the Villa one, draw at Villa Park and lose at Home to Chelsea and we could be five points behind before we've got out of bed. I wonder if Mourinho and Ferguson will mass rotate at the start of the season? Hmmm I think I know the answer to that one.

Please Rafa, give the players a chance and we can win it.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:59 pm

OK since people question my comparison between Kuyt and Doyle. Did Kuyt do better than Berbatov in Berbatov's 1st year? Did Kuyt do better than what Van Nistelrooy did for United in his 1st year? Comparing players works both ways.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion