Predictions for the season.. - How are we gonmna go?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:19 am

JBG wrote:Its impossible to predict what will happen at this point. It could be as good as fourth or as bad as twelveth, who knows.

I probably should have put riders on it JBG, as obviously if we sold Gerrard, Torres and Masherano before replacing them with Sharner, Benjani and Danny Murphy on frees, the picture would look different.

That said, people are no doubt able to revisit the thing if we did cash in big style. I personally think we can afford to lose Masherano and only spend a small portion of the fee on a replacement, but we wouldn't be able to face losing the other two and still have too much confidence, or I wouldn't anyway.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:25 am

Cisse has just said he wants to come back and play for us ???
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:31 am

NANNY RED wrote:Cisse has just said he wants to come back and play for us ???

Just saw that!  He can feck all the way off!
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:36 am

:laugh: Fecking hell he was usless that lad wasn't he. What was the game when he came on as sub when we were trying to close the game out and he kept trying 50 yard crossfield balls and losing posession :laugh:.

Funnily enough playing at a team which is perenially under the cosh like Sunderland suited him and made him look better than he was. He could kind of mope around and wait for a punt ovet the top and get onto it. He was quick I'll give him that. In one of my all too infrequent live games, I saw him play at Fulham (the game where we were 2-0 down at half time and Alonso came on and we won 4-2) and he played wide right. Feck me he was lightening, that much you've got to give him.

Not in a million years would I have him back though.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:34 am

Premier League

LIVERPOOL FC
Chelsea
Arsenal
Man Utd

FA Cup - LIVERPOOL FC

League Cup - LIVERPOOL FC

CL - Real Madrid

UEFA - LIVERPOOL FC

The boat race - LIVERPOOL FC

National Egg and spoon race - LIVERPOOL FC

Scottish Cup - LIVERPOOL FC

Irish Lottery - LIVERPOOL FC

Braithwaite village gala tombola - LIVERPOOL FC

hey, lets be optomistic  :D
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:40 am

JBG wrote:Its impossible to predict what will happen at this point. It could be as good as fourth or as bad as twelveth, who knows.

Could be even higher than that if we kept everyone, our signings all clicked, everyone stayed fit and Roy got us playing as a team. Too early to say yet, I'll start a prediction thread the week before the season starts and when we've more idea of our squad and that of our competitors.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:47 am

Just looked at whos left and who's come in since the end of the 2008/9 season when we finished 4 pts off the mancs with 86 pts. We need to see who stays and who comes in this transfer window to get a better idea where we stand.

Out:
Paul Anderson Nottm For £250,000 30.06.2009
Astrit Ajdarevic Leicester Free 30.06.2009
Sebastian Leto Panathinaikos £3,000,000 01.07.2009
Jermaine Pennant Real Zaragoza Free* 01.07.2009
Miki Roque Unknown Free 01.07.2009
Álvaro Arbeloa Real Madrid £3,500,000 30.07.2009
Xabi Alonso Real Madrid £30,000,000 05.08.2009
Andrea Dossena Napoli £4,700,000 08.01.2010
Andriy Voronin Dinamo Moscow £1,800,000 10.01.2010
Nikolay Mihaylov FC Twente £1,500,000 04.02.2010
Mikel San José Domínguez Athletic Bilbao £2,600,000 19.05.2010
Fábio Aurélio Unknown Free* 01.07.2010
David Martin MK Dons Free* 01.07.2010
Yossi Benayoun Chelsea £6,000,000 02.07.2010
Sami Hyypia

In:
Glen Johnson Portsmouth £17,500,000 26.06.2009
Alberto Aquilani AS Roma £17,100,000* 07.08.2009
Sotirios Kyrgiakos AEK Athens £2,000,000 21.08.2009
Daniel Ayala Sevilla £160,000 17.09.2009
Maxi Rodriguez Atletico Madrid Free 12.01.2010
Jonjo Shelvey Charlton £1,700,000* 10.05.2010
Milan Jovanovic Standard Liege Free 08.07.2010
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby shawnk » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:19 pm

Can't wait for the season to begin. Really want to see how things turn out and I predict that we would do better than last season with the same sets of players, top 4. One of the thing I hope for this season is to allow Dani Pacheco to have a run or at least a regular sub as a winger. He looked very promising with the very limited chances he had last season. And use Lucas more often as sub.
shawnk

Postby boodiddy1 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:25 pm

CHAMPIONS:) Europa league 1/4 finals.

ROYS REDS!!! :D  CMON
boodiddy1

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:01 pm

bigmick wrote:The Premiership:

I think Man City will win it.

I'd love to have a bet against you on that.

What odds will you give me ?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:26 pm

Your Siamese twin will be changing her name back then.  :p
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:46 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
bigmick wrote:The Premiership:

I think Man City will win it.

I'd love to have a bet against you on that.

What odds will you give me ?

What, you mean odds that they won't win it? Well without checking they are probably about 14/1 to win it with the bookies. NOT to win it, they would therefore be about 1/10 (daws might have a better idea).

I know it's a bit out there, but I genuinely think they will win it over the next couple of seasons, and it might as well be this one. I said they'd finish top four last season though and was wrong just, so no doubt I'll be wrong this time as well.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:27 pm

Whilst I appreciate the mess we are in at present, I believe the doom and gloom pervading the club has filtered through to the future aspirations of the Fans of LFC. This must be what it feels like supporting  Wigan or Sunderland !

Maybe it's just me (it usually is!) but I think we may well surprise even ourselves this coming season.

Chelsea are an ageing side, United are ultra reliant on Rooney and City could implode under the weight of the players ego's.

That leaves Arsenal and Spurs. Spurs lack the pedigree to sustain but might surprise so for me it will be Arsenal who finally convert their huge potential and deliver the Premiership title to their next generation.

Us ? Keep Torres and Gerrard and we have a serious chance of making the Top 4. As good as Masca is, he will be easier to replace than Stevie and Fernando. You could argue that we have Lucas to fill in that role except he can't tackle !

Whatever the case there are several players currently on the books who have got to step up to the line and deliver. Choose any from Rierra, Babel, Agger, Skirtel, Ngog and to a lesser extent but no less important Acquilani.

The spine of the team is excellent Reina ,Carra, Masca, Gerrard, Torres would grace any top team in any league. Ok maybe I'm being nostalgic over Jamie !

I remain optimistic that we can have a big say in who ultimatly wins the Prem and maybe, just maybe we can make the Top4 and build from there.

Walk on ............
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:46 pm

Dalglish wrote:Whilst I appreciate the mess we are in at present, I believe the doom and gloom pervading the club has filtered through to the future aspirations of the Fans of LFC. This must be what it feels like supporting  Wigan or Sunderland !

Maybe it's just me (it usually is!) but I think we may well surprise even ourselves this coming season.

Chelsea are an ageing side, United are ultra reliant on Rooney and City could implode under the weight of the players ego's.

That leaves Arsenal and Spurs. Spurs lack the pedigree to sustain but might surprise so for me it will be Arsenal who finally convert their huge potential and deliver the Premiership title to their next generation.

Us ? Keep Torres and Gerrard and we have a serious chance of making the Top 4. As good as Masca is, he will be easier to replace than Stevie and Fernando. You could argue that we have Lucas to fill in that role except he can't tackle !

Whatever the case there are several players currently on the books who have got to step up to the line and deliver. Choose any from Rierra, Babel, Agger, Skirtel, Ngog and to a lesser extent but no less important Acquilani.

The spine of the team is excellent Reina ,Carra, Masca, Gerrard, Torres would grace any top team in any league. Ok maybe I'm being nostalgic over Jamie !

I remain optimistic that we can have a big say in who ultimatly wins the Prem and maybe, just maybe we can make the Top4 and build from there.

Walk on ............

Nice and optimistic which is good to hear from a regular match goer. Careful not to listen to Lynds though coz she will remind you that Hodgson only won one game away all of last season and if you couple that with your (I seem to remember) very dubious record at away matches and we'll be doomed!

It's funny coz every year under Rafa we go into the new season full of hope that we might have a run at the title and virtually every year we were out of it by December. this year it's the complete opposite, we've been written off by the press and the majority of our fan base it seems. don't think we'll be putting in a title charge but I also have a feeling we'll surprise a few people, not least our own fans.
Last edited by Scottbot on Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:21 am

As much as I admire Lynsey's passionate and vociferous approach she is not the "oracle" on all things football  :D

She cares for the state the club finds herself in and you can't argue with that.

I also care but take a slightly different approach. To my mind we are fully expected to bomb out and we can use that to our advantage. I don't care what people say , a team with Gerrard, Torres, Reina, Agger, Carra, Acqualani, Johnson and with a  huge slice of luck, Mascherano is going to be able to compete with any team !   

On my own personal away day blues that was quite a few seasons ago and I'm happy to report that my recent record on "aways" has improved significantly ! :D

In the season before last we lost just 2 games away all season (Boro and Spurs), I was at neither ! :O
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion