Back on track? - The newcastle post-match thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby dawson99 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:16 pm

and kuyt last year scored a hatful (quite a big hat) of goals that were vital as well.

dont wanna use the term fickle fans, but some fans are fickle
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:21 pm

dawson99 wrote:and kuyt last year scored a hatful (quite a big hat) of goals that were vital as well.

dont wanna use the term fickle fans, but some fans are fickle

Name five, Dawson.  I'll start you off with his goal against Chelsea so you'll only need to name four more...   ???

For the thousandth time, he's not good enough to be a starting forward in a title winning side.  I had hoped he would be but I've seen enough to be confident he won't be.  If that's fickle, so be it--I prefer to call it making an informed decision after weighing sufficient evidence. :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby dawson99 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:31 pm

erm... 2-0 win over reading he got both? winning penalty against chelsea in the semis of the champs league? newcastle and spurs? (im cheating now)

all im saying is that people are crucifying a guy who last season scored 14 for us. he is not maybe 1st choice, but hes better than what we got in my opinion so give the lad a break!
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:07 pm

dawson99 wrote:erm... 2-0 win over reading he got both? winning penalty against chelsea in the semis of the champs league? newcastle and spurs? (im cheating now)

all im saying is that people are crucifying a guy who last season scored 14 for us. he is not maybe 1st choice, but hes better than what we got in my opinion so give the lad a break!

Not crucifying the guy mate, people are just saying it how it is.  He's not been good enough, I don't think he ever will be.  He's no more than a squad player at best imo, an expensive one at that.  End of.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby imouthep » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:02 pm

[all im saying is that people are crucifying a guy who last season scored 14 for us. he is not maybe 1st choice, but hes better than what we got in my opinion so give the lad a break!]

I disagree with that statement. I think we could definatley use crouch more and we would be a better option than kuyt imho. Voronin my also be on par with him but he's got more confidence at the moment (I think they would probably be neck and neck in the long run though). Babel for me is a great player that i woulb like to see given a start upfront I know he is growing into the prem but in a game against weaker sides maybe we could give him a run up there. He has pace power and a hunger for goal which is always a good trait for a striker.
imouthep

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:20 am

I thought the game was an excellent way to mark our return from the International break.

Although we failed to create any significant opportunities in the opening 25 mins, I thought we controlled the game with ease and with one or two correct movements, could quite easily have opened them up - I thought this was partly down to the balance on the right being skewed,. Rafa had his hands tied somewhat in this respect, having neither Benayoun or Pennant at his disposal.

I thought Lucas was largely outstanding, his tackling and anticipation were spot on. He has fantastic agility, and despite not possessing 'Hollywood' passing ability ala Alonso, I thought his sharp short passing was exceptional. We need to switch the play quickly at times, and this guy can swivel on the ball as good as anyone else. Sissoko did his bit in harrassing the Newcastle players, but he's far from playing near his best. I thought his pace and stamina were important at times in the first half, even if his tackling and timing were poor. Had we faced sterner opposition, I thought the balance of the side, and more specifically having no recognised outlet on the right may have developed into a problem. At times it was a 4-1-3-1-1 formation, with Kewell switching occasionally to the right. When Kewell was on the left, Sissoko was left as our only outlet on the right, and he simply isn't at home there. Arbeloa was afforded the freedom get involved as Newcastle played with sich poor intensity. If we were up against a team who pressed with a really high intensity, I think the formation may have come unstuck.

However...

Ultimately, we prevailed over a slack Newcastle side. Gerrard had a stormer, and Torres could quite easily have netted 3 or 4. Kuyt performed well in my book, creating space, and linking well with Torres.

Kewell makes a big difference IMO, his ball retention and craft is exceptional, and hopefully he can provide plenty of quality deliveries in future games.

The defence was solid and untroubled.

I take the game with a pinch of salt, as I'm well aware that most teams simply won't give us anywhere near the time or space that Newcastle granted us.

It's the points that matter, and the importance of this win cannot be understated given Arsenal's victory.

The manc's  :laugh: and Newcastle fans  :laugh:  made my day.

Now for Oporto.
LFC2007

Postby bigmick » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:27 am

Bad Bob wrote:I don't want to see any Big Mick style 'let's stick with it cos it worked' ( :D ) notions against Porto.

Well I think we should stick with it because it worked  :D No seriously, I wouldn't have gone for the team Rafa did but we won the game and comfortably, I can hardly believe any of the players are tired after that so I wouldn't be changing it too much.

Now Masherano has completed his Phillious Fog on speed bit, I would have thought he'd have to come in for Sissoko but other than that I'd be inclined to leave it. I wouldn't have picked Kuyt in a million years against Newcastle, but Rafa did and he scored a goal so I would definately start him again. You never know, he might score another one and at the very least he'll work his nuts off. Crouch was unlucky not to play at newcastle because he would probably have scored as well (To tell the truth I'd have fancied my own chances if I'd have been given a trundle out (I don't do run outs anymore) against them). But thems the breaks, Kuyt started and scored so for me he stays in and plays.

We really are at the point now where we are in the throws of getting something going. Now is not the time to feck around (if there ever is a time) and my porediction is that Rafa will keep the team exactly the same, save for the introduction of Masherano and the instruction to Gerrard to play a little more conventionally as a right midfielder.

There, job done.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:54 pm

bigmick wrote:my porediction is that Rafa will keep the team exactly the same, save for the introduction of Masherano and the instruction to Gerrard to play a little more conventionally as a right midfielder.

There, job done.

:laugh:

Yes, he'll keep the team exactly the same except for the two absolutely vital changes (one in terms of selection, one in terms of tactics) that would be needed against Porto!  That's all I was advocating, mate: Sissoko on the bench and someone to at least be within commuting distance of our right flank for much of the match.  Because, I can assure you that Quaresma won't be as slow to exploit that gap as Newcastle was.  :oops:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:03 pm

Great result and an OK performance. Taking nothing away from our boys but Newcastle were utter P*SH.

Torres looks like he'll score a barrell load even although he missed a few chances on Saturday
Gerrard was back to his best in his favourite position
We blooded Lucas into the EPL and I was impressed with him. Thought he'd have had a tougher time against Emre, Smith and Co

All round a decent performance and another 3 points.
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:11 pm

HacksawJimDuggin wrote:Gerrard was back to his best in his favourite position

yeah, in other words he didn't have one as such. we were so in control of the game with two so called "defensive minded" central midfielders, that the attacking players could basically just go wherever they wanted in the final thrird.

he's at his best when he's not tied down with positions and tactics and is just allowed to go wherever he likes and destroy teams in the final third of the pitch.
Last edited by stmichael on Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion