Post-match discussion thread - Blackburn v. liverpool

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Thingy » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:48 am

I really dont know what to think about todays game and the whole " situation" if there even is one. Part of me thinks " We went away from home agaisnt a decent Blackburn side and could of won" Then the other half thinks " If were gunna win the league we should be winning these games". Blackburn in my opinion are in the same bracket as Pompey, the bitters, Spurs, Villa, Citeh, in away games which you would be chuffed with a win, but not too dissapointed with a draw. So I suppose its not that bad. We do need to improve though.
Thingy

Postby lio » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:53 am

For me a good way to start a 'post-match discussion' perhaps is first to hear 'his' thoughts...
RAFA: WE HAD CHANCES TO WIN IT
Lee Brown at Ewood Park 03 November 2007

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez was left frustrated at the end of his side's 0-0 draw with Blackburn after they missed a host of chances to snatch all three points.
Brad Friedel twice saved well from Steven Gerrard and David Bentley cleared a Peter Crouch header off the line. And as the Reds turned the screw, Dirk Kuyt missed a number of good chances at the end.

"We are very disappointed not to have won the game," said Benitez. "We knew before the game that Blackburn would be tough opponents because they have been playing well and scoring goals.

"After the game we could easily have won this match because we created very clear chances, but we didn't take them.

"The positive things to take into the Besiktas game on Tuesday is if we create the chances we did today then we will score against them.

"We still have one game in hand on most of the teams above us in the table and in the last four games we have been playing better. If we weren't creating the chances we are at the moment then it would be a problem.

"I have confidence we will start scoring goals soon."

The manager also had words of support for Kuyt after he spurned a number of openings.

"He is a fantastic worker and he gives a lot to this team. At least he's getting in the positions to score."

'we could easily have won this match because we created very clear chances, but we didn't take them.'
Standard post-match statement isn't it? Boring. Doesn't he know that all opp managers had the same thoughts too ... in fact like last night their chances were closer by hitting our post twice, remember?

"He is a fantastic worker and he gives a lot to this team. At least he's getting in the positions to score."
Really? I thought half the time he was at the wings and even if so for him getting in positions and not scoring is just as good as not being there.

I'm really upset that we are at this state today. Whether it's team rotation or moral or 'mind vs heart' tell me who's responsibility to make things right from wrong for our team? Don't look anywhere Rafa ... look at the mirror. :(
lio

Postby maguskwt » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:53 am

ok... I'll try to stay objective because sometimes I tend to defend too much because of the OTT criticims on here...

We played 4-5-1 with kuyt up front and mash and sisoko in the middle,gerrard as an advanced midfielder, babel on the left and benyaoun on the right. Even though I been asking rafa to play a similar formation, I have to concede that it doesn't work. Mainly because without torres, our other strikers are too average to play as lone striker up front. People talk about alonso being easy to negate... Gerrard is as easy to negate when he plays as support striker or advance midfielder with a lone striker. Babel doesn't cut it as a winger... too stiff and not tricky enough. Benyaoun tried but he seems to be a player that can turn a game sometimes but in order times very ineffective. Momo's passing is horrendous... the pairing of masherano and sissoko doesn't give anything offensively. And these are the failures when you play 4-5-1. Lone striker not being good enough, the 2 CM and not pressing up and giving support enough and the wide players not getting anywhere. Sorry rafa... not good enough...

when we switched to 4-4-2 again we were much better. And IMO rafa made a good choice about not taking off kuyt even though he was having a horrendous game because if crouch played as a lone striker he will be just as ineffective. I'll have to take back my criticism on kewell as he did make a difference when he came on... clearly a better winger than babel. Gerrard had more time and space when he was moved to the right and became more influential. But yeah too little too late.

As Big Mick and Kharhaz have said... on overall scheme of things it seems to be a fairly good point... but on a day when arsenal and man u drew, a win would have narrowed the gap. So opportunity lost.

2 worrying incidents happened during the match. The first one is at one point Rafa was signalling fustratingly at gerrard and gerrard seems to be gesturing fustratingly back at him. Shows that the communication between them is not too smooth.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:58 am

maguskwt wrote:2 worrying incidents happened during the match. The first one is at one point Rafa was signalling fustratingly at gerrard and gerrard seems to be gesturing fustratingly back at him. Shows that the communication between them is not too smooth.

How ?

IT shows that they both are passionate about the cause.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:45 am

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Stop picking Kuyt
account deleted by request

Postby crazyhorse » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:11 am

I echo most of what has already been written. We got a point, and it is a decent point all things considered.
I think it is still too early to decide whether we are in or out of the title race. Bickmick is right, cement a place in the top four and if we are close by the turn of the year then lets go for it.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby StevieL » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:27 am

Not out of title race... BUT, after watching both man utd vs arsenal and then our game...

even though i was not a manutd/arsenal fan i was absolutely enthralled...
then... watch our game... seriously... apart from the last 15 minutes... bored me $hitless!!! yeah... we had posession.... but what was it like?!?!

hyypia --> benayoun --> finnan --> hyppia --> riise ---> babel ---> masherano --> hyppia...

REPEAT REPEAT REPEAT...

we were doing nothing with the ball and going no where...

even though i dislike KUYT, you cant give him :censored: for playing like he did yesterday... what did he have to do?! he got 2/3 good chances... but so did STevieG...

anyways... pros: kewell is back and going good, a draw is a point... we didnt lose anything on the leaders...

all i gotta say
StevieL

Postby ShaneK » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:10 am

I really think that Riise has dropped off badly. He half heartedly closes down crosses, floats crosses in for the defenders and goalkeepers. He spends most of his time claiming off-sides and thrown ons and has some terrible lapses in concentration resulting in some horrible positioning. I can see why Rafa was looking at bringing in Henize.

Dirk brings little to the game, lacks any great pace, touch, heading or finishing and bad decisions. A very average player.

But then again, the result wasn't that bad, Blackburn are a good team. I did tip a draw for this match, taking into account the injury's to some key players.
ShaneK

Postby The_Rock » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:36 am

Kuyt - 9 Million Pounds
Babel - 12 Million Pounds

Don't tell me rafa doesn't make expensive purchases.....  :no
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:59 am

One good thing about yesterday's match...kewell is back.........

Whoooo Hooooo.....our best LW is back.

A half fit kewell is better than babal, riise, auerlio & leto combined.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:35 am

The team that finished that game should have started it.

Why didnt they Rafa?

To little to late again.

What has Crouch done that he doesnt start?

I am furious we lose ground once again forget the title for another season.

And please hurry back Agger the whole team is having to defend in your absense.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:38 am

Oh and another thing what the fuckinell was that linesman on?

He gave us fuck all what was it with them offsides?

When they wernt?

What a total tw@t he was.
:angry:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the_red_alonso » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:33 am

Kuyt is a joke ..

End of !!
:angry:
the_red_alonso
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby skatesy » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:54 am

ShaneK wrote:I really think that Riise has dropped off badly. He half heartedly closes down crosses, floats crosses in for the defenders and goalkeepers. He spends most of his time claiming off-sides and thrown ons and has some terrible lapses in concentration resulting in some horrible positioning. I can see why Rafa was looking at bringing in Henize.

I am sick of watching Riise - it is so friggin' frustrating. I think he has been relegated to the one who throws the ball in when it goes out of play, that is all he is any good at anymore.
skatesy

Postby Red8 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:17 am

It was immensely frustrating watching Kuyt squander our best chances yesterday.  A simple pass at the byline TWICE and he managed to somehow pass it to Friedel is simply incomprehensible. When he had another chance 5 yards from the goal he managed to whack it into the stands. Did we buy a rugby player?
Red8

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion