PEPE REINA - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:46 am

akumaface wrote:Do they have a record regarding most assist by a GK in a season? :D

Dunno, but as it happens I was about to look on FPL at leading keepers and their assists.

*checking*

Fantasy Premier League Goalkeepers 2008/09

Leading Points

142 Schwarzer
132 Reina
132 Cech
130 Van Der Sar
130 Almunia

Leading Assists

2 Reina
1 Given, Jaaskelainen

Bit surprised it is only two for Reina, not surprised he's top. I would have thought VDS would be further up given his run of clean sheets, but then he probably doesn't save much. 13 clean sheets in a row, ironically the last was against Fulham. VDS has 62 saves according to FPL, Reina 70 and Schwarzer 117.

Most Saves

123 Carson (WBA)
117 Schwarzer (Fulham)
111 Jaaskelainen (Bolton)
99 Friedel (A Villa)

Saves as a percentage of shots might be a better way of representing the keepers, WBA have conceded 55 so you could say* he's saved 69.10% while Liverpool have conceded 21 so Reina has saved 76.92%. Then again FPL is rather flawed, a defender gets more points for scoring than doing his job and keeping a clean sheet - and more for scoring than a forward whose job it is to score. And why don't assists count as much as goals?

*assuming that anything there isn't to save doesn't go in, anything there is to save is either saved or goes in.

By the by, made Ashley Young my captain to jinx him, terrific game he had! Best remove all villa players from my side to stop them being jinxed next game up, already loaded my side with Fulham players
Last edited by Owzat on Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:27 pm

The Spaniard's clean sheet in the recent victory over Aston Villa was his 100th for the Reds and meant he became the quickest custodian in the club's history to reach the milestone.

It's a statistic that has impressed his Anfield captain, who also highlighted Reina's contribution to Liverpool's excellent recent run of form.

"We're really happy with the keeper that we've got at Liverpool and as far as I'm concerned Pepe is probably the best in the world in his position right now," said Gerrard.

"If you look at the games we've won of late, Pepe has played a really important part in those victories by making important saves at vital moments and he's even created a couple of goals as well.

"So we know just how good he is and he is definitely one of the world's best."

Meanwhile, Gerrard is tipping Reds youngster Jay Spearing to challenge for a first-team place at Anfield.

The 20-year-old made an impressive cameo appearance in the 4-0 demolition of Real Madrid earlier this month and Gerrard believes the Academy graduate has what it takes to make an impact on Rafa Benitez's senior setup.

"I was delighted for Jay because I think a few people will have been surprised by the way he performed after coming on against Real Madrid but I wasn't one of them," added the Liverpool skipper.

"First of all, you have to give credit to the manager for giving a young player a chance in such a big game and Jay certainly did not let him down.

"I see him in training all the time and he's got a good touch, he passes the ball well and he keeps thing simple and it was good to see him show what he is all about in a game like this.

"He certainly won't let anyone down if he is given more chances in the future."

It seems the captain is giving credit to several players of the team, and I like that.

Certainly Reina deserves all the praises and I don't think it's mad to say he's a world class keeper. I certainly wouldn't change Reina for anyone.

As for Spearing, it's important Gerrard encourages the lad, not only because of him, but because it's important other local lads can see that reaching the first team is possible.

Good words of the captain again.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:29 pm

Sabes is in a good mood tonight........ :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ste123lfc » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:35 pm

Pepe doesn't get the praise he deserves, he's won the Golden Glove every year he's been at Liverpool. Any mention of it in the papers at the time? Not a ferkin word. If Van der :censored: wins it this year it will be all over the back pages. The press are Manure loving c*ck sucking nobheads.

Anyway keep it up Pepe.
From Shankly to Brendan we follow our team, Rome to Istanbul we've all lived the dream. Our journey is long, our goal stays the same, to keep for our children the famous red name.
ste123lfc
LFC Super Member

Postby Madmax » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:59 am

pepe is our shield without him i wonder where we would be. Top goal keeper!!!  Since out clumsy james days we have had decent keepers in westerweld and dudek and now pepe reina who excels them all!!
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:23 am

Madmax wrote:pepe is our shield without him i wonder where we would be. Top goal keeper!!!  Since out clumsy james days we have had decent keepers in westerweld and dudek and now pepe reina who excels them all!!

I wouldn't of said westerweld was good ,he seemed good at first because of the clown he replaced, we had the best keeper in Friedel as James no 2 and as for Dudek he could be very good some games but was all over the place on other games.

One thing for sure tho we have the best keeper in years and I'm made up Rafa is staying because I think Reina could of left and we already know how hard it is to find a top quality goalkeeper.
roberto green

Postby Owzat » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:21 pm

Clean Sheets (Premiership 08/09)

18 Van Der Sar
17 Reina
16 Cech
14 Almunia

source : FPL

It could be tricky for Reina to over-take VDS, one extra game for the manc keeper and so few games left
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:36 pm

We need him to be on form for the rest of the season. He made a few shockers against Chelsea so it's important he gets that out of his system quick.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:44 pm

PEPE REINA'S GUIDE TO HIS TEAMMATES

Jamie Carragher

It's his heart and his head. He is very important in the dressing room. His mind is always on football and he is 100 per cent professional. He has real character and tries to help the team with this character. He tries to help his teammates positionally, both with and without the ball. It's important to have someone like that - it's like a manager on the pitch.

Martin Skrtel

He does a good job. We have all been surprised at his performances because he is so young. He can still improve but already he has a brilliant character and he's a really tough guy. He is one of the toughest in the squad because he's powerful and so determined. It's unbelievable. He is quite quiet, that's his way, but once he gets onto the pitch he is not shy any more. He always wants the ball.

Daniel Agger

He's different from the other centre-backs in terms of playing the ball nicely and playing beautiful football. But he's also a tough guy - he has great character. He is an important player for us. The fact he is left-footed is also important for the team. He's not very talkative off the pitch, he's shy; but he has a couple of businesses and this shows how comfortable he is in Liverpool. He's a nice lad.

Alvaro Arbeloa

He's been one of our most consistent players this season. Maybe he's underrated with the public but he knows how important he is and that's all that matters.

Fabio Aurelio

He's one of the best players, not just at Liverpool but the entire Premier League. He has been unlucky with injuries but he's very important for us both defending and attacking. He's very good at set pieces also.

Steven Gerrard

He is the heart and soul of Liverpool, and is probably our most important player alongside Fernando. The character he shows in every single training session and every single game makes all of us feel even more commitment to Liverpool. I have played alongside many good players and he is one of the very best without doubt. He's also our penalty taker, and in training he always beats me. We need to do something about this because it hurts my morale! More importantly, he also does it at key times on the pitch.

Xabi Alonso

He is the man with the ball. He can pass five yards and 45 yards exactly the same way. He had his best season so far last year. He is Spanish, so it's always easy to speak to him off the pitch. We spend a lot of time together.

Javier Mascherano

He is a real winner. He is brave, quick and has passion. He knows what his qualities are and he exploits them really well. He's the kind of player you don't want to play against - he's annoying to play against.

Lucas Leiva

He is young but has shown great spirit. He is never intimidated by anyone even though he's 22-years-old and playing in the Premier League. Lucas fights for every ball and puts in good tackles. He can still improve but he has a lot of qualities to exploit.

Albert Riera

We knew each other from the national team even before he arrived here, and I think that's made it easier for him to settle down in Liverpool. He is skilful and has a good left foot. He's a great player and gives us a lot of variety down the left.

Dirk Kuyt

It's annoying how much he runs! He never stops. The stamina he has is just unbelievable. For any team, this kind of thing is important. He is a lovely guy off the field too. I am very close to him because he plays golf and cards. We are always together and I'd say I know him better than I know any of my teammates.

Yossi Benayoun

He's also a lovely guy. He's skilful between the lines and maybe he's the only one in the squad with these qualities. He's clever and quick with his feet.

Fernando Torres

He is always trying to improve. People probably don't realise how much he looks at his own mistakes and tries to sort them out. He wants to be the best player in the world. It's that commitment, that unselfish personality, which makes him the player he is. He's already in the top three players in the world and of course he can be the best one day because he's still only 25. He has so much potential and is at the best club in the world. I would like to look like him as well! He takes care of himself!

Pepe Reina

You'd have to ask my teammates. But I try to be as professional as I can and help my teammates. I think I'm a nice, normal guy. Probably I'm one of the loudest in the squad, that's how I've always been.

Best friends with Dirk?
Aurelio best player in the Premiership?
Skrtel and Agger (both Shy apparently)?
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:48 pm

Reina is the best keeper in the world imo and I hope he stays with us for a long time.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:05 pm

Dundalk wrote:Dirk Kuyt

It's annoying how much he runs! He never stops. The stamina he has is just unbelievable. For any team, this kind of thing is important.

FFS, another Kuyt basher?  :angry:   :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Dundalk » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:37 am

Pepe - We cant win the league with this lot

Liverpool goalkeeper Jose Reina has said that winning the league is "not a realistic objective" with the current squad.

The Reds finished second last year and were hoping to go one better this season, ending their search for a first Premier League title.

But after a mixed start to the campaign, including two defeats from their first four outings, Spain international Reina has raised doubts about the depth of the playing staff.

"We all want to win the league but right now it's not a realistic objective," he told The Guardian.

"There isn't frustration, there's resignation. We know what's in the squad; we can't do anything about it. All we can do is roll our sleeves up, work hard and try to win matches.

"Teams like Manchester United have lots of players who can tip the balance; we haven't got the individuals.

"There are games that get congested and we haven't got the vision other sides boast. There is a problem."

Reina also suggested that it was the responsibility of the club's American co-owner George Gillett and Tom Hicks to improve Liverpool's chances by freeing up further funds.

"It would be good if the owners made an effort economically," he added.

"It would be lovely if we found ourselves in an economic position where we can bring in players and build a squad that can compete with other sides.

"But it's up to the owners to try to bring players in, not us."
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:56 am

Shame we have one of the best keepers in the league/world and our defensive system/defending leaves him so exposed. If we tighten up defensively then we are scoring enough goals that we could still mount a title challenge, if our scoring form continues. Just need to score more than one in more games, three games of 3+ goals (all won) and two games of only one goal (both lost)
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrPepe » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:39 am

Owzat wrote:Shame we have one of the best keepers in the league/world and our defensive system/defending leaves him so exposed. If we tighten up defensively then we are scoring enough goals that we could still mount a title challenge, if our scoring form continues. Just need to score more than one in more games, three games of 3+ goals (all won) and two games of only one goal (both lost)

agree that pepe should have more protection

titles seem to be won on the back of tight defences and we haven't had that ability for a couple of seasons to grind out 1-0s

could do with a vidic to go alongside carra right now  :no
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:07 am

Now I know Pepe should probably be getting more protection from his defenders but at the same time I think his form has dipped slightly. In the big games he seems to let in goals that he probably should be saving. eg 2 of the goals at Cheslea last season in the CL. Even this season he probably should have got to a few more.

meh im going back to sleep now.
Last edited by tubby on Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion