Particularly Lucas but also Ryan Babel, - I know it's early but ..........

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:30 pm

Babel and Lucas must play as much as possible from now until the end of the season and not just against the cr@p teams in the cup. I would be tempted to start them both in every reaming league game.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:32 pm

Many strikers have spent time on the wing, Henry, Walcott and Rooney off the top of my head. I don’t know why people are getting their knickers in a twist about Babel playing on the left wing, its not as if that is his position set in stone for the rest of his Liverpool career.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JamCar05 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:52 pm

Cool Hand Luke wrote:Many strikers have spent time on the wing, Henry, Walcott and Rooney off the top of my head. I don’t know why people are getting their knickers in a twist about Babel playing on the left wing, its not as if that is his position set in stone for the rest of his Liverpool career.

I don't know if you're referring to me here mate, but if you are, I can assure you that I'm not "getting my knickers in a twist" regarding Babel playing as a left wing. I think he's done okay in this position, and I'm also fully aware this doesn't mean he'll play there his entire Liverpool career (hell, in the quote I've included in my previous post Rafa himself even directly mentions, that Babel might play as a striker in the future). I think most of the people (including myself) are simply asking for Babel to get a few games as a striker, because he has already proven himself to be more prolific than our other so-called strikers (bar Torres of course). So all of this has (imo) got more to do with us having a very weak strikeforce atm than fearing Babel will forever be stuck on the left wing.

Whether Babel and Torres would actually complement each other is a whole other issue, which I won't get into here (some posters on here have already discussed this further above in this thread anyway).
JamCar05

Postby tel » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:15 am

Dont worry about it. Ryan babel is going to be an absolute star for the club.
tel

Postby Kharhaz » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:23 am

JamCar05 wrote:
Cool Hand Luke wrote:Many strikers have spent time on the wing, Henry, Walcott and Rooney off the top of my head. I don’t know why people are getting their knickers in a twist about Babel playing on the left wing, its not as if that is his position set in stone for the rest of his Liverpool career.

I don't know if you're referring to me here mate, but if you are, I can assure you that I'm not "getting my knickers in a twist" regarding Babel playing as a left wing. I think he's done okay in this position, and I'm also fully aware this doesn't mean he'll play there his entire Liverpool career (hell, in the quote I've included in my previous post Rafa himself even directly mentions, that Babel might play as a striker in the future). I think most of the people (including myself) are simply asking for Babel to get a few games as a striker, because he has already proven himself to be more prolific than our other so-called strikers (bar Torres of course). So all of this has (imo) got more to do with us having a very weak strikeforce atm than fearing Babel will forever be stuck on the left wing.

Whether Babel and Torres would actually complement each other is a whole other issue, which I won't get into here (some posters on here have already discussed this further above in this thread anyway).

That reminds me of what we did in the playground at school. We used to ask "ya ever been caught sniffing ya mams knickers?" in which they would look at ya, pull a face and reply "NO!" and you would have the satisfaction of saying "Oh ya good at it then?"

:D
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:25 am

For me, Lucas is the so-called "real deal". A truly excellent player who has already showed what he's capable of in the few games he's been called on. IMO, he's got excellent movement and touch, is capable of supplying both short and long balls extremely well and has the intelligence to dictate the tempo of the match. He's also got very good positional sense to boot.

But he is still young and will need time on the pitch. Until we get the fiasco with G&H sorted out, it certainly looks like we're not gonna be signing Mascherano on a permanent basis. With Lucas on our books, however, I feel a lot less upset (but no less dissapointed, mind you) about that. With Stevie, Xabi and Lucas on our books, I think we'll do ok.... BUT we definitely need to get Momo back to his initial form or replaced if that is not possible.

Not to "big" him up to much, but I'll stick my head out and say that in Lucas, we have a world beater just waiting to happen. Whether it happens or not, largely depends on how and how often he's utilised.

In Babel, I remain deeply sceptical. Potential is there for all to see in terms of ability but he's got a lot of sorting out to do to iron out the little inadequacies in his game. Whether out on the wing or as a striker, I just cannot see him going on to be a world class player. Raw ability is not enough.... Intelligence, attitude and application is equally important and Ryan has yet to convince me that he has the qualities to overcome these particular hurdles. Perhaps I'll be proven wrong as he matures.

BTW..... Right now, imo,... he's the lesser of the evils in terms of options upfront and we should use him there unless Crouch comes back into the frame.

Long term though, I don't believe he's the solution to our need for a creative 2nd striker.
ConnO'var

Postby stmichael » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:35 pm

Good piece on Babel from the Echo:

IT DIDN’T take long for Ryan Babel to realise there’s no hiding place from football in Liverpool.

The Dutchman was enjoying an afternoon’s shopping with his girlfriend Lindsay soon after his £11.5million summer move from Ajax when he noticed something wasn’t quite right.

“We went shopping twice and we met the same people in both shops,” recalls Babel. “I watched them closely for some time and they appeared to be following us. It was a weird experience; I’ve never come across a similar thing in Amsterdam.

“But I’m having a great time here. I obviously miss my family, friends and the town of Amsterdam, but I don’t feel homesick, leading such a beautiful, attractive and exciting life.”

Babel certainly hasn’t wasted any time in ascending his career ladder to ensure that existence.

Having only turned 21 last month, the striker had already appeared in a World Cup and won the European Under-21 Championships for his country before Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez came calling in July.

The Anfield faithful have been impressed by Babel’s contribution thus far, often as an impact substitute as he acclimatises to life in English football. Indeed, of his 29 appearances, 16 have come from the bench.

Babel will be hoping for only his sixth Premier League start when Aston Villa visit tonight as Benitez’s side aim to move back into the Champions League qualification places.

But the player himself is the first to admit that, given his tender years, he remains very much a work in progress.

“Benitez told me he had signed me as he wanted to have players available in his squad that are able to round their marker,” says Babel.

“I was told I would be given time to get used to playing games at a high level. I felt reassured for I had taken an important step in my career.

“I realise that people have high expectations of an expensive signing, but I am like a rough diamond that needs polishing.”

The promise has certainly already been evident at Liverpool. His goal against Luton Town in the FA Cup in midweek was his seventh of the season, although tellingly five of those have come as substitute.

Indeed, Babel has not played a full 90 minutes in the league this season for Liverpool as Benitez eases him into the first-team fray.

But the player concedes the intensive demands of the top flight have taken some getting used to.

“I would obviously relish more playing time,” admits Babel.

“I am ambitious and want to play. I am sometimes a bit disappointed not to play, but I appreciate Benitez’s ideas.

“He adopts a rotation policy, I knew that beforehand. He has his own special ideas. He announces his startling XI one hour before kick-off.

He will never give a hint at training whether you start or not.

“But I don’t think it is awkward for me not to be on the pitch for the full 90 minutes. I can’t physically cope with the terrific pace in the Premier League. I invariably face a tall task, even also against the so-called small clubs.

“We play compact as a team and must be on the move constantly, closing down opponents all over the park. I must provide cover for the left-back. But I never shirk my duties any more and nobody will ever catch me napping.”

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liv....ge.html
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby maguskwt » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:29 pm

Toffeehater wrote:
username wrote:
maguskwt wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:
maguskwt wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:
maguskwt wrote:I've seen enough of him getting to a striker's position (by cutting in) to make this comment... it's not a judgement... it's an opinion... time and time again he gets to a good position to strike because of his pace... but time and time again he misses just wide... don't get me wrong I like his shooting technique alot... the ball is always kept lower than the bar and the shots are always fast and powerful... but he's not calculative enough... he just looks down and shoots wishing for it to go in... how about sidestepping your marker and make a simple well placed shot?... haven't seen this kind of calculativeness from him... in other words he doesn't use his head enough...

About the side stepping his marker comment, did you not see the goal at home to Derby when he sent two players the wrong way with a drop of the shoulder, then finished with a brilliant placed shot ?

Babels finish yesterday was excellent , also his shot that hit the post was really unlucky . He's defo got the ability to score alot of goals, he's proved that already this season .

all very good examples mate... but he doesn't do it often enough is my critique... he probably does it 1 out of 10 attempts he make on goal...

i wouldnt say that at all, everytime he shoots looks close to me, the problem is he fades out of games, so he gets less chances all together

Like i said play him more often and maguswat give the kid a break , its only his first season , he has not done too much wrong and like some of us have mentioned , he's looks like the only other player to score

I don't know mate... i dont' see the same level of raw talent in him that players like rooney, ronaldo, owen, fowler, and now torres have... maybe he can improve... we'll see...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:48 pm

maguskwt wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:
username wrote:
maguskwt wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:
maguskwt wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:
maguskwt wrote:I've seen enough of him getting to a striker's position (by cutting in) to make this comment... it's not a judgement... it's an opinion... time and time again he gets to a good position to strike because of his pace... but time and time again he misses just wide... don't get me wrong I like his shooting technique alot... the ball is always kept lower than the bar and the shots are always fast and powerful... but he's not calculative enough... he just looks down and shoots wishing for it to go in... how about sidestepping your marker and make a simple well placed shot?... haven't seen this kind of calculativeness from him... in other words he doesn't use his head enough...

About the side stepping his marker comment, did you not see the goal at home to Derby when he sent two players the wrong way with a drop of the shoulder, then finished with a brilliant placed shot ?

Babels finish yesterday was excellent , also his shot that hit the post was really unlucky . He's defo got the ability to score alot of goals, he's proved that already this season .

all very good examples mate... but he doesn't do it often enough is my critique... he probably does it 1 out of 10 attempts he make on goal...

i wouldnt say that at all, everytime he shoots looks close to me, the problem is he fades out of games, so he gets less chances all together

Like i said play him more often and maguswat give the kid a break , its only his first season , he has not done too much wrong and like some of us have mentioned , he's looks like the only other player to score

I don't know mate... i dont' see the same level of raw talent in him that players like rooney, ronaldo, owen, fowler, and now torres have... maybe he can improve... we'll see...

like i said time will tell
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Marcos » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:29 pm

I am a gremio fan and i feel really happy to see lucas doing so well. I go to many liverpool matches
as i am living in liverpool. Lucas was a good player for us but he is no were near as good as anderson,
this is another example of man scum getting the cream of the crop and liverpool getting the scraps.

:( :( :(
Marcos

Postby mikopool » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:40 pm

Marcos wrote:I am a gremio fan and i feel really happy to see lucas doing so well. I go to many liverpool matches
as i am living in liverpool. Lucas was a good player for us but he is no were near as good as anderson,
this is another example of man scum getting the cream of the crop and liverpool getting the scraps.

:( :( :(

If we are talking about brazillian midfielders that are playing for manure instead of Liverpool, that doesn't really say much.
" Some people say football is a matter of life and death, I don't like this attitude, I can assure them, its much more serious then that "

- Billy Shanks.

For life.
mikopool

Postby Marcos » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:48 pm

Since anderson has been at man u he has been quality he has benched carrick hargreaves. I went to
the liverpool man utd game at anfield, anderson was awsome in that game liverpool should of got him
instead. :(  :(  :(
Marcos

Postby slickrick » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:29 am

anderson cost more than twice the price of lucas, he signed from porto and not the brazilian league! lucas was player of the year in brazilian league last year.

so as for you saying we got the scraps, i don't think so mate!
we'll see who's the best in 2 years
slickrick

Postby Kukilon » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:31 am

Marcos wrote:Since anderson has been at man u he has been quality he has benched carrick hargreaves. I went to
the liverpool man utd game at anfield, anderson was awsome in that game liverpool should of got him
instead. :(  :(  :(

Get your SCUM :censored: off our message board.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:59 pm

cracking goal from lucas on saturday. excellent prospect. his range of passing is excellent for one so young.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion