Particularly Lucas but also Ryan Babel, - I know it's early but ..........

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:58 pm

Can anyone else a remember a great Liverpool player from the past decade who only used one foot? Patrick Burger anyone...

Think Houllier had this fella lined up but couldn't get the work permit approved.

Couldn't get him, signed Cisse instead
Last edited by woof woof ! on Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:01 pm

King Carra wrote:
Redman in wales wrote:Did anyone see MoTD on sunday? - not that i care about what them lot on there think - but they did highlight the fact that babel only ever uses his right foot and never his left. All his shots on goal and a majority of his play all comes from his right - even when it would be better to use his left. he seems purely one footed. obviously they only highlight the bits that back-up their arguement, but it might be something to watch out for.

I do think he's got phenominal potential though.

Hence why Benitez is playing him on the left in an effort to get him better used to his left foot.

I don't think that's the foremost idea behind it, he rarely uses his left peg when he plays on the left anyway. I think the main reason for utilising him there is because our other options aren't particularly great. He offers pace, a bit of ability and a stinging shot. I took Rafa's comments regarding Babel's position in the team, now and in the future (i.e. future second striker), to mean that he's probably looking for a left winger, which is an encouraging thought.

Intelligent defenders have tended to and will tend to nulify Babel's threat on the left due to his overwhelming tendancy to cut inside. I think he needs to vary it a bit more, develop his left foot as much as possible, improve his crossing, and his decision making.
LFC2007

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:26 am

King Carra wrote:
Redman in wales wrote:Did anyone see MoTD on sunday? - not that i care about what them lot on there think - but they did highlight the fact that babel only ever uses his right foot and never his left. All his shots on goal and a majority of his play all comes from his right - even when it would be better to use his left. he seems purely one footed. obviously they only highlight the bits that back-up their arguement, but it might be something to watch out for.

I do think he's got phenominal potential though.

Hence why Benitez is playing him on the left in an effort to get him better used to his left foot.

Can anyone else a remember a great Liverpool player from the past decade who only used one foot? Patrick Burger anyone...

John Arne Riise...if he used his right foot he'd fall over (except one pass he played for Morientes against Pompey a few years back).

Aurellio is another left footer who doesn't use his right.

Carra is a right footer who can't use his left that much.

Kewell...tries not to use either foot  :D  (sorry but couldn't resist it)

any goalkeeper, they hate it when the ball falls onto their weaker foot.

it's not just Babel, it's just he's performing well of late, we as a team are performing well (going forward wise) and the media need to bring us down a notch or two so they criticise us.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:19 am

I like what I see from him lately, starting for 5 consecutive games has really helped his confidence, especially in the last match.  It could also be the new formation that is helping him.  If Babel, Torres and Gerrard form more understanding between each other, then they will become a very deadly trio.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion