LUIS ALBERTO - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kazza » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:37 am

Kenny Kan » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:47 am wrote:
Benny The Noon » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:59 pm wrote:Judgement definitely reserved until he has played , all the sound bites and nice words and you tube vids will count for nothing unless he produces the goods - we had a mass hysteria about Gonzalez from You Tube vids and he was awful.

Can't get away from the price tag for him, such a lot of money for him. I could understand it for players like Tello or Defaflou ( sp?)

Your first post in this thread declared Alberto a "good signing" since then it's been a barrel of negativity - what happened?

He looked up and saw that black cloud over his head
:grinning:
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:22 am

Reg » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:40 am wrote:Cheer up Benny FFS...     :suspect:  :suspect:

I'm happy Reg ;)
Benny The Noon

Postby eds » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:18 am

Guys rather then having a pop at Benny, can we actually stick to the football debate.

I really don't believe it's negativity, but some sensible points being made.

Did we really need to spend 8m on a player we know nothing about when we have a lot of youngsters at the club, all ready to prove they can make the next big step into the starting XI.

This is 8 million that could have easily be thrown the way of the Armenian kid or the Greek lad we are after.

Look if Alberto becomes a world beater and sets this place on fire like Coutinho has then I will gladly s**t the f**k up but after all is said and done we all agreed fundamentally at the end of last season we needed to bring in quality not quantity and yet here we are with 4 players brought in, without a single one being a certainty to improve our starting XI. 

I really can't understand most of your attitudes thinking nothing is wrong, when it contradicts every thing we need to do to get 4th place this season :no
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby Red Focus » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:24 am

eds » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:18 am wrote:Guys rather then having a pop at Benny, can we actually stick to the football debate.

I really don't believe it's negativity, but some sensible points being made.

Did we really need to spend 8m on a player we know nothing about when we have a lot of youngsters at the club, all ready to prove they can make the next big step into the starting XI.

This is 8 million that could have easily be thrown the way of the Armenian kid or the Greek lad we are after.

Look if Alberto becomes a world beater and sets this place on fire like Coutinho has then I will gladly s**t the f**k up but after all is said and done we all agreed fundamentally at the end of last season we needed to bring in quality not quantity and yet here we are with 4 players brought in, without a single one being a certainty to improve our starting XI. 

I really can't understand most of your attitudes thinking nothing is wrong, when it contradicts every thing we need to do to get 4th place this season :no

Exactly, FSG policy is signing up kids, kids,kids......... and more kids to build for the future. That is their main aim. Their logic behind that is, they are not going to splash 40 to 50M on any single player regardless of how good he is and with today's CL era, no quality player would want to come to LFC anyway because we are not even in the Europa League. Only Ian Ayre the idiot was dum enough to boldly say we can still attract world class players because we are Liverpool. Because FSG are not a Sheikh or a Roman Abromovich, they have to invest in potential youngsters who will hopefully become world beaters in 5 years time. In theory this is a bright idea but I can see a lot of flaws and risks there. So guys this is what we have to get used to because we have FSG as owners unless they sell up to some rich oil tycoon.
Red Focus
LFC Member

Postby paisleyred » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:40 am

Bollox........what is it with some folk craving  a multi billionaire to spunk money into every position......away and play football manager.
paisleyred

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:46 am

paisleyred » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:40 am wrote:Bollox........what is it with some folk craving  a multi billionaire to spunk money into every position......away and play football manager.
What he said ^^^

Corporate responsibility is the name of the game here, and I fully back it. YOu only have to see what happened when H&G overspent, borrowed to spend, exactly. I'd settle for last season, in terms of renewed stability, a philosophy that is aimed at growing a sustainable future over the turmoil that those two brought any day.

For what it is worth, I don't think we will always favour up and coming talent over big money spending. Champions League is key, the owners do not want to invest huge amounts of time and resource pursuing players - who let's be honest are unlikely to come here. The only ones who would are the money mercenaries, who give very little back to a team. The quality ones who enjoy the football and want to compete, want and need Champions League football.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:42 pm

the problem with opting for the stability approach though is if you `stabilize` around 6th or 7th, the coutinho`s and suarez`s of this world want more out of their careers than that.
along with all the potential i still think the club should be aiming to bring in one marquee signing per window, thats the least a club of our size should expect.
dont forget even without CL football we are earning more now than when benitez was regularly getting us to the latter stages of the tournament and deloitte have us down as the 8th biggest club in the world in terms of turnover.
we`ve got to be careful that the club doesnt turn into a sort of arsenal-lite - a great business model that makes money for the owners but achieves very little in terms of silverware.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:02 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:46 am wrote:
paisleyred » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:40 am wrote:Bollox........what is it with some folk craving  a multi billionaire to spunk money into every position......away and play football manager.
What he said ^^^

Corporate responsibility is the name of the game here, and I fully back it. YOu only have to see what happened when H&G overspent, borrowed to spend, exactly. I'd settle for last season, in terms of renewed stability, a philosophy that is aimed at growing a sustainable future over the turmoil that those two brought any day.

For what it is worth, I don't think we will always favour up and coming talent over big money spending. Champions League is key, the owners do not want to invest huge amounts of time and resource pursuing players - who let's be honest are unlikely to come here. The only ones who would are the money mercenaries, who give very little back to a team. The quality ones who enjoy the football and want to compete, want and need Champions League football.

Money mercenaries are who City bought before they were in the CL - the spent big on wages to get the quality of players needed to get into the CL.

Just because players play for a big wage doesn't mean they give very little back ! If they being quality that helps a team qualify for CL then they earn their money.

Spending 5-8 mil on 19-21 year old kids who fill the squad won't get a team CL. We are lacking in two key areas within the squad - two crucial areas - CB and DM. With the money spent we could have sorted those two areas out already then looked to fill the squad.

Currently I believe we have spent a good deal of money but not improved the overall quality of the first 11.

Most players these days want the big wages - if a club doesn't pay them then they struggle to get the quality players
Benny The Noon

Postby ethanr » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:21 pm

It's not like every signing is the young up-and-coming type.  Aspas and Mignolet are both 25, which is young enough to still have a lot of time in them, and their best at that, but old enough to have some good professional experience (I know keepers ages are staggered a bit, but Mignolet has clearly shown his ability).

What FSG are doing tells us one thing- they're here for the long run.  They want to be involved in this football club for a long time, and they know that fans won't be happy if we continue to under achieve, so they know they must get us back into the CL or they'll have some issues.  They aren't just trying to make a lot of money, but do so by being successful.

And for what it's worth, I've been perfectly happy with FSG as of now.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Scottbot » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:43 pm

I don't have a problem with the change-up in transfer approach and if it means scouting in the Spanish 2nd div to get the jump on some of our rivals then so be it. What is it now? 4 seasons out of the Champions League? It's gonna be dififculty to compete with clubs who are regulars in the competition so Rodgers will try and find players another way. Spain certainly seems ot be the place to find the depth of talent and maybe tyhis kid will be the next Michu.

I must admit I wasn't blown away by his highlight reels. He looks a bit like Albery Riera to me ie. a decent player but a bit lightweight. He certainly looks like he has fantastic delivery at deadballs and nice vision and weight of pass plus a decent finish. However, the physical stuff may be a problem for him, I couldn't see a single example of him having to do anything with defenders right on top of him in any of those highlight vids and neitehr did I see any clips of him running at (and beating players).
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:54 pm

Can't see Alberto walking into the first team to be honest.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him play a few games in the development team this side of Christmas and maybe see him come off the bench a lot in his first season.  The premier league will be a serious culture shock coming from the Spanish second division.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:10 pm

money money money, the British disease of short terminism.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:07 am

Scottbot » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:43 pm wrote:I don't have a problem with the change-up in transfer approach and if it means scouting in the Spanish 2nd div to get the jump on some of our rivals then so be it. What is it now? 4 seasons out of the Champions League? It's gonna be dififculty to compete with clubs who are regulars in the competition so Rodgers will try and find players another way. Spain certainly seems ot be the place to find the depth of talent and maybe tyhis kid will be the next Michu.

I must admit I wasn't blown away by his highlight reels. He looks a bit like Albery Riera to me ie. a decent player but a bit lightweight. He certainly looks like he has fantastic delivery at deadballs and nice vision and weight of pass plus a decent finish. However, the physical stuff may be a problem for him, I couldn't see a single example of him having to do anything with defenders right on top of him in any of those highlight vids and neitehr did I see any clips of him running at (and beating players).

and you reckon trawling the spanish second division will eventually lead us to the title?
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:17 am

john craig » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:54 pm wrote:Can't see Alberto walking into the first team to be honest.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him play a few games in the development team this side of Christmas and maybe see him come off the bench a lot in his first season.  The premier league will be a serious culture shock coming from the Spanish second division.

Then I have to question why we spent do much on him when we have a plethora of our own young kids waiting in the sidelines for a chance.
Benny The Noon

Postby eds » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:57 am

Benny The Noon » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:17 am wrote:
john craig » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:54 pm wrote:Can't see Alberto walking into the first team to be honest.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him play a few games in the development team this side of Christmas and maybe see him come off the bench a lot in his first season.  The premier league will be a serious culture shock coming from the Spanish second division.

Then I have to question why we spent do much on him when we have a plethora of our own young kids waiting in the sidelines for a chance.

Exactly.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not asking for some billionaire to come in and destroy our club and history, no.

What I asking for is that we need to stop this scatter-gun approach with "low cost" players, as this strategy will not improve us.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion