ALBERTO AQUILANI - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Thommo's perm » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:48 am

The mistake was buying him when he was injured then not playing him when he was fit
Thommo's perm

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:50 pm

devaney » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:42 am wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:46 pm wrote:it`s relevant when we spent over half of our transfer budget on 2 centre mids (allen, sahin) and at the same time aquilani was released for nothing, and imo aquilani looked far more creative than the pair of them put together.
to be fair to allen when he was played in that screening defensive role when lucas was injured he looked very good but since he`s been pushed further forward and asked to contribute creatively he looks way out of his depth.
aquilani wasnt the strongest but when he got the ball in an attacking position he could see a pass, he had vision, allen just looks to offload it sideways and backwards even on the edge of the opposition box.

Aquilani was not released for nothing. Aquilani was sold for £7m and did not want to be in England - SIMPLES !!  I don't understand why people keep going on about him. He was an expensive injury prone mistake.

are you sure we got that amount of money for him? my recollection of the summer was that we actually had to pay to release him from his contract, £7m seems rather a lot for an italian club to spend these days on someone who`s contract was near enough up.
aquilani himself said that he enjoyed playing in england but he wasnt prepared to stay where he wasnt wanted, he said every manager loaned him out without giving him a fair chance even when he was our best player in pre season 2 years on the run.
aquilani (for all his faults) was in his element when he had possession just outside the opposition box, he could see a pass, he was creative and he could deliver a good cross, and just outside the opposition box is exactly where our game falls to pieces at the moment.
as i said i`d rather have aquilani playing attacking mid now than allen or sahin, sahin has said he`s struggling to play there and i dont think allen is a creative player at all, i dont know what rodgers is on about calling him the welsh xavi, thats just embaressing, as bad as houlliers new zidane remark.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RedHands » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:05 pm

Aquilani was a b*tch. Four different managers didn't rate him enough to even keep him on the books. That's all you need to know about Aqua. Horrible, horrible piece of business. Worse than Carrol in my eyes.
RedHands
LFC Basic Member

Postby Boxscarf » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:55 pm

Thommo's perm » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:08 am wrote:Aquilani is the one that got away, and no amount of ***** about him being made of glass or a hypochondriac will change the fact that he is a class player and we are crying out for someone like him.
:nod

I remember being slated to the hilt when Kenny got rid of Meireles and Aquilani. We could really use players like those in our midfield at the moment. The criticism of Aquilani was unwarranted in my book, it's akin to the kind of criticism that Peter Crouch generated.

Aquilani is a brilliant player, make no doubt about it.
Boxscarf

Postby Thommo's perm » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:05 pm

RedHands » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:05 pm wrote:Aquilani was a b*tch. Four different managers didn't rate him enough to even keep him on the books. That's all you need to know about Aqua. Horrible, horrible piece of business. Worse than Carrol in my eyes.

Rafa messed up so he didnt want to stay
:laugh:
Thommo's perm

Postby Eagle » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:43 pm

From what I recall the more reliable sources in the media said whatever Fiorentina forked up ended up in Aquilani’s pocket to compensate him for accepting a far lower wage. So he cost us nothing to get rid of but we also received no money.
Eagle

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:01 pm

Reg » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:50 am wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:26 am wrote:
Reg » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:27 am wrote:I could have scored those....  :rasp

Reg you're a cyclist ,lets not get giddy .

And I wouldn't have needed to get off my bike either!  :buttrock

:laugh: Cmon fella ,lets have it straight ,you struggle to keep your dynamo lit . :rasp
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:33 am

Has it got stabilisers on?
Thommo's perm

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:58 am

RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:03 am

To be fair he wouldnt have to get off them to score
:eyebrow
Thommo's perm

Postby devaney » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:52 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:50 pm wrote:
devaney » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:42 am wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:46 pm wrote:it`s relevant when we spent over half of our transfer budget on 2 centre mids (allen, sahin) and at the same time aquilani was released for nothing, and imo aquilani looked far more creative than the pair of them put together.
to be fair to allen when he was played in that screening defensive role when lucas was injured he looked very good but since he`s been pushed further forward and asked to contribute creatively he looks way out of his depth.
aquilani wasnt the strongest but when he got the ball in an attacking position he could see a pass, he had vision, allen just looks to offload it sideways and backwards even on the edge of the opposition box.

Aquilani was not released for nothing. Aquilani was sold for £7m and did not want to be in England - SIMPLES !!  I don't understand why people keep going on about him. He was an expensive injury prone mistake.

are you sure we got that amount of money for him? my recollection of the summer was that we actually had to pay to release him from his contract, £7m seems rather a lot for an italian club to spend these days on someone who`s contract was near enough up.
aquilani himself said that he enjoyed playing in england but he wasnt prepared to stay where he wasnt wanted, he said every manager loaned him out without giving him a fair chance even when he was our best player in pre season 2 years on the run.
aquilani (for all his faults) was in his element when he had possession just outside the opposition box, he could see a pass, he was creative and he could deliver a good cross, and just outside the opposition box is exactly where our game falls to pieces at the moment.
as i said i`d rather have aquilani playing attacking mid now than allen or sahin, sahin has said he`s struggling to play there and i dont think allen is a creative player at all, i dont know what rodgers is on about calling him the welsh xavi, thats just embaressing, as bad as houlliers new zidane remark.

According to this site which is usually quite reliable we received £7m - http://www.lfchistory.net/Transfers/ByManager/25-0

Not sure about the suggestion that the money went straight into Aquilani's pocket to compensate for reduced wages. Don't know why we would give him £7m when there wasn't that long left on his contract.

I liked the lad but there was definitely stuff going on that we will never know about. Four Liverpool managers refused to play him - why? Why didn't Juventus and Milan buy him after the loan periods?

Don't accept that he was ever being totally truthful about wanting to play in England. His agent did everything possible to secure deals with Italian teams. Serie A is a far cry from the Premiership and I think it suits Alberto's style of play more.

At the moment I would rather have my Granny playing instead of Allen who is going through an awful spell !!

Arividerchi Alberto - I wish it had worked out. You clearly have a lot of talent.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Boxscarf » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:15 am

Any player worth his salt would quite rightly opt to play in technically superior leagues like Bundesliga, La Liga and Serie A over the Premier League. England's top flight league is the most overrated in Europe.
Boxscarf

Postby Kukilon » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:31 am

I would rather say that it's not possible to coast around in the EPL like you can if you get into a top 6th club in la liga or seria a. The tempo is to high and to physical to allow sofish players to survive.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:44 am

Kukilon » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:31 am wrote:I would rather say that it's not possible to coast around in the EPL like you can if you get into a top 6th club in la liga or seria a. The tempo is to high and to physical to allow sofish players to survive.

Totally agree.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:41 pm

Kukilon » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:31 am wrote:I would rather say that it's not possible to coast around in the EPL like you can if you get into a top 6th club in la liga or seria a. The tempo is to high and to physical to allow sofish players to survive.

Are you suggesting Aquilani was coasting when he played for us?
???
Thommo's perm

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion