Next Season - Early Days but ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby mkingdom » Tue May 06, 2014 1:28 pm

BR has been quoted as saying we need 5 or 6 new players. What we don't know is if they are in addition to what we have (probably) or to replace some outgoing. It might be a mix of the two.

Firstly he has to make a call on which loanees will be added to the squad.

Suso - AM
Illori - CB
Borini - ST
Wisdom  - RB/CB
Ibe - Wide Attacker

seem to be the obvious ones but what of

Robinson
Assaidi
Coates
and all the others I forgot.

and seperately is McLaughlin ready yet, or does he need another loan? Is Texeira going to feature or go out on loan?

So that's five new players in, with likely outs of

Assaidi
Coates
Robinson
Aspas
Johnson (maybe)
Agger (maybe)
Reina
Kelly

We'll also of course lose Moses and Cissokho, and probably Toure.

So with all that in the mix, we're losing more than we gain, and need to bolster the squad for the higher number of games we'll be playing.

To me it feels like we need -

CB - We could be losing Toure, Coates, Kelly and maybe Agger, and gaining Wisdom and Illori. We need a first team starter. We'd have Sakho, Skrtel, Illori, Wisdom and a new CB.

Forward - We have Suarez, Sturridge and Borini so need another back up to give us the four we'll need (assuming Aspas goes). A tricky signing this as we need first team quality, but someone who may not be first choice if SAS are fit.

Wide forward - Ibe joins the squad but it's been clear we really missed a game changer from the bench. Konoplankya might be the one here as BR likes forwards who can play across the front line and have pace and power.

CM - We've really missed Henderson since his red card, and in my view it's a big reason we've picked up 1 point from six. We need another athletic mobile CM as cover because Allen or Lucas are not it, although I think Allen has done pretty well. Lucas doesn't look comfortable when not in the DM role, which is now clearly Gerrard's for the next 2-3 years.

RB - Johnson might not get the contract he wants, and at 29/30, could be allowed to make his last big move. Flanaghan can play here as can Wisdom but neither are the finished article and lack experience. I'd worry about them in top level CL games.  Micah Richards has been linked, and when he used to get games at City always looked a decent player. Whoever we get needs to be able to come straight into the team.

LB - Depends on what happens at RB of course and if Enrique ever gets fit/plays for us again.

That's six signings, and add those to the returning loan players should give us a squad capable of competing over the 60 or so games we'll be playing.
mkingdom

Postby kazza » Wed May 07, 2014 8:47 pm

mkingdom » Tue May 06, 2014 12:28 pm wrote:BR has been quoted as saying we need 5 or 6 new players. What we don't know is if they are in addition to what we have (probably) or to replace some outgoing. It might be a mix of the two.

Firstly he has to make a call on which loanees will be added to the squad.

Suso - AM
Illori - CB
Borini - ST
Wisdom  - RB/CB
Ibe - Wide Attacker

seem to be the obvious ones but what of

Robinson
Assaidi
Coates
and all the others I forgot.

and seperately is McLaughlin ready yet, or does he need another loan? Is Texeira going to feature or go out on loan?

So that's five new players in, with likely outs of

Assaidi
Coates
Robinson
Aspas
Johnson (maybe)
Agger (maybe)
Reina
Kelly

We'll also of course lose Moses and Cissokho, and probably Toure.

So with all that in the mix, we're losing more than we gain, and need to bolster the squad for the higher number of games we'll be playing.

To me it feels like we need -

CB - We could be losing Toure, Coates, Kelly and maybe Agger, and gaining Wisdom and Illori. We need a first team starter. We'd have Sakho, Skrtel, Illori, Wisdom and a new CB.

Forward - We have Suarez, Sturridge and Borini so need another back up to give us the four we'll need (assuming Aspas goes). A tricky signing this as we need first team quality, but someone who may not be first choice if SAS are fit.

Wide forward - Ibe joins the squad but it's been clear we really missed a game changer from the bench. Konoplankya might be the one here as BR likes forwards who can play across the front line and have pace and power.

CM - We've really missed Henderson since his red card, and in my view it's a big reason we've picked up 1 point from six. We need another athletic mobile CM as cover because Allen or Lucas are not it, although I think Allen has done pretty well. Lucas doesn't look comfortable when not in the DM role, which is now clearly Gerrard's for the next 2-3 years.

RB - Johnson might not get the contract he wants, and at 29/30, could be allowed to make his last big move. Flanaghan can play here as can Wisdom but neither are the finished article and lack experience. I'd worry about them in top level CL games.  Micah Richards has been linked, and when he used to get games at City always looked a decent player. Whoever we get needs to be able to come straight into the team.

LB - Depends on what happens at RB of course and if Enrique ever gets fit/plays for us again.

That's six signings, and add those to the returning loan players should give us a squad capable of competing over the 60 or so games we'll be playing.

Good post
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Fri May 09, 2014 4:12 pm

It seems to me that our first signing MIGHT be Lallana.

He could add a lot of competition to the likes of Coutinho & Henderson
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri May 09, 2014 9:09 pm

Working on the basis that we’re going to make another 6/7 signing this is my guess:

1 – GK:   Mignolet, ???, Jones
4/5 – CB:   ???, Sakho, Skrtel, Toure
2 – RB:   Johnson, Kelly, Flanagan
3 – LB:   ???, Enrique,
6 – DM:   Gerrard, Lucus
8 – CM:   Henderson, Allen
10 – AM:   ???, Coutinho
7/11 – WF:   ???, Sterling, ???, Suso
9 – ST:   Suárez, Sturridge, ???

It’s clear that some of the first team players will be moving on. But it’s time for some of those playing in the U21s to move on or go out on loan to PL teams (Wisdom and Ilori) and allow the group below them to step up into the U21s.

Sell: Reina, Agger, Coates, Sama, Robinson, Coady, Roddan, Assaidi, Alberto, Adorjan Aspas, Borini, Mukendi
Loan: Wisdom, Ilori, McLaughlin, Smith, Teixeira

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Fri May 09, 2014 9:47 pm

Marco Reus and Javi Martinez for the midfield. The latter is being linked with Arsenal for just 20m. If we actually succeed in those 2 signings, what a statement that would be to the rest of Europe. Other good options are Dzagoev, Bender and Lallana. As for the keeper, we're probably gonna end up with Ochoa if we sign any at all.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby parchpea » Fri May 09, 2014 10:36 pm

Think we need two full backs and a holding midfielder as a priority with another centre back
and optional extra if there is deal too good to miss.

After that its strength in attack again, which is Rodgers forte, two or 3 up there providing
serious competition.

Think Johnson may be done at Liverpool and Flano has been mint but we need power and
muscle and he is still built like a boy yet, needs more time.

I reckon we will be alright at centre back if we get good cover in front and in the full back
positions, but my dream player is Hummels at centre back, possibly as good as any pairing
we have on his own, but doubt we could lure him to Anfield.

City should go for him though seeing as FFP means nothing in points terms  :no
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby killerp » Sat May 10, 2014 8:54 am

Some names I think would really help us out;

CDM, CM - Matuidi
CB - Varane
LB, CB - Rojo
RB - Sagna

That should fix our defensive issues.
killerp

Postby damjan193 » Sat May 10, 2014 3:46 pm

maypaxvobiscum » Fri May 09, 2014 9:47 pm wrote:Marco Reus and Javi Martinez for the midfield. The latter is being linked with Arsenal for just 20m. If we actually succeed in those 2 signings, what a statement that would be to the rest of Europe. Other good options are Dzagoev, Bender and Lallana. As for the keeper, we're probably gonna end up with Ochoa if we sign any at all.

Javi Martinez is one of the best DMs around. I doubt that Bayern will sell him for as little as 20m but if it's true he should be our top target. Although his natural position is in midfield, he could be a great center back for us. Arsenal are being linked with some good players. Heard that they're after one of the Bender brothers as well (Lars I think), another fantastic DM. We should copy their short-list ala Tottenham.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sat May 10, 2014 9:58 pm

damjan193 » Sat May 10, 2014 2:46 pm wrote:
maypaxvobiscum » Fri May 09, 2014 9:47 pm wrote:Marco Reus and Javi Martinez for the midfield. The latter is being linked with Arsenal for just 20m. If we actually succeed in those 2 signings, what a statement that would be to the rest of Europe. Other good options are Dzagoev, Bender and Lallana. As for the keeper, we're probably gonna end up with Ochoa if we sign any at all.

Javi Martinez is one of the best DMs around. I doubt that Bayern will sell him for as little as 20m but if it's true he should be our top target. Although his natural position is in midfield, he could be a great center back for us. Arsenal are being linked with some good players. Heard that they're after one of the Bender brothers as well (Lars I think), another fantastic DM. We should copy their short-list ala Tottenham.

Juventus are in for Dzagoev :( That's a shame as he's a very good player and has a superb left foot. He's just 23 and could go for as low as 7m. Another 2 players I'm really keen on us getting is Nathan Redmond and Loic Remy. I think Arsenal is after the Bender from Leverkusen. Not sure which one he is.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun May 11, 2014 12:34 am

Can't say I rate Remy to be honest...he's either great or garbage and I don't think he's that much of a team player.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sun May 11, 2014 5:57 am

7_Kewell » Sat May 10, 2014 11:34 pm wrote:Can't say I rate Remy to be honest...he's either great or garbage and I don't think he's that much of a team player.

Yeah true he is French after all hence the personality disorder :D

I was thinking we need a good 3rd striker who is reliable and can score goals. City has Aguero, Jovetic, Dzeko and Negredo. Dzeko was seen as 3rd choice but he's been instrumental this season. Considering the system BR uses, it doesn't have to be an out and out striker. Hence in that case, my first choice would always be Tello or  Menez. Or perhaps we could find someone from within our academy - Yesil or Ibe.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Stu the Red » Sun May 11, 2014 12:12 pm

maypaxvobiscum » Sun May 11, 2014 5:57 am wrote:
7_Kewell » Sat May 10, 2014 11:34 pm wrote:Can't say I rate Remy to be honest...he's either great or garbage and I don't think he's that much of a team player.

Yeah true he is French after all hence the personality disorder :D

I was thinking we need a good 3rd striker who is reliable and can score goals. City has Aguero, Jovetic, Dzeko and Negredo. Dzeko was seen as 3rd choice but he's been instrumental this season. Considering the system BR uses, it doesn't have to be an out and out striker. Hence in that case, my first choice would always be Tello or  Menez. Or perhaps we could find someone from within our academy - Yesil or Ibe.

Boardering on racism... ???

Remy's a good player but isn't an improvement on what we have already so for me wouldn't really be a great signing. However, if he's available for a good price I could cope with that signing as he would certainly improve the squad and options. There isn't to much of a difference in him and Sturridge however.

Pedro though would be a massive improvement and also give us that option of a wide forward we desperately need. As for Redmond you have to be joking? Bang average and no better than Assaidi.

I'm finding it very hard to look beyond Schneiderlin, Begovic, Richards, Tello and Pedro... The only others I'd consider are are Tiote, Lallana and Remy. We need quality who are an improvement but also versitile. Lallana can do a job wide right if you're desperate, he can also play in Coutinho's position and Henderson's and is a better player than Henderson. Remy could fill in in a wide area, however thats not his natural position so I wouldn't be overly keen on signing him. If Tiote came in he'd be looking to replace Gerrard, you'd certainly get physical presence and more athetlisism with him, he'd screen the back four better, but I believe we could lose out slightly in terms of attacking play as although he's decent on the ball, he's nowhere near Gerrard's standard.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sun May 11, 2014 12:17 pm

I want Marek Hamsik. He's top top class.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Greavesie » Sun May 11, 2014 9:50 pm

Right well here's my take:

Our downfall this season has been glaringly obvious, shipping 50 goals has cost us and that needs addressed in the summer, in terms of centre backs I have no idea who I'd get in but for me Skrtel has to go, just a complete liability. Sakho may be suited to the European competition so I would stick with him. Not happy about the talk of Agger going but depending on who comes in I'm happy to let him go though part of me is worried about changing too much too soon. I'd love us to go for someone like Luke Shaw as well, could well go the way of Gareth Bale. I'm also not sold on Mignolet, good shot stopper but that doesn't make him solid enough for me - he hasn't got the presence 'great' keepers have. Personally I'd be temped give Pepe another crack of the whip or get Courtois in, or Timmy Krul - it does look like Ming will be between the sticks next season tho.

Lallana seems a good place to start, certainly in away games or when we have the lead he'll be a good player to have on the pitch, seems well balanced so he should fit into our style of play quite well. I'm happy to let Lucas go as well if it means improving the squad tho for numbers' sake I'd leave him for now. I think we need an alternative to Studge tho, I like the look of that Koke who plays for Atletico, certainly caught my eye against Chelsea. Kroos or Reus would be dream signings, happy also to see us linked with that Bayern lad as well

GK:   Mignolet, Jones, ??
CB:   Sakho, Toure, Agger, ??
RB:   Johnson, Kelly, Flanagan
LB:   Enrique, Shaw
CM:   Gerrard, Lucas, Henderson, Allen, Lallana, Coutinho, ??
ATT:   Sterling, Suso, Suárez, Sturridge, Koke

I don't know who I WANT at CB but I THINK we'll end up with Ashley Williams or Caulker
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Red Focus » Mon May 12, 2014 3:42 am

Our porous and sometimes farcical defence is a major problem. We've leaked in more goals than some mid table sides and would have finished mid table had our front men not bail the defence out. We have guys like Agger, Skrtel, Sakho, Illori at our disposal and I personally think they are good enough centre backs but Brendan's defence tactics need to be re-assessed and improved. Brendan's weakness is that he emphasised too much on attack and defence seems to have taken a backseat and got exposed at the Chelsea and Palace games.

Yesterday's game, I think we've learned a lesson from the Palace game in that we closed shop when leading 2-1 though only playing against 10 and later 9 men. We were happy to casually stroll the ball around and wait for final whistle. Nevertheless, we need strengthening in midfield and one more clinical striker for next season because we are now a feared side esp. at Anfield and all teams will come to Anfield to park a bus and to waste time trying to steal a win. Brendan must now learn how to deal with such tactics with the right signings and tighten up the defence.
Red Focus
LFC Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion