Next Season - Early Days but ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Boocity » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:13 am

Early days yes but I think any talk of a title is over as I can't see Chelsea losing too many games this year. However, we must regroup and make sure we get into the top 4.
For me BR needs to make some tough decisions and that is in regard to the midfield and particularly Gerrard and Lucas. Yes I know we have injuries and probably Allen would have played instead of Lucas had he been fit but can we honestly say that even if we had a fully fit squad SG's name would not have been one of the first on the teamsheet. He is 34, he looks knackered and he cannot play week in week out and definitely not 3 games a week. Its pretty obvious from the Villa and WH games that teams know how to play us, get at us fast from the off, cut through the weak midfield which in turn puts the defence under pressure and we get panicky and concede. Then lock up shop as even with suarez last season we were very poor at trying to break teams down that defend enmass. I can just see Martinez going through videos of our games and hitting us exactly the same way. Until we get either Allen or Can back, I think we would be better off playing Hendo and Lallana back there than SG and/or Lucas.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby killerp » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:09 am

Asking Rodgers to fix our problems defensively right now feels like rearranging deck chairs on Titanic. No matter what you do the end result is the same.

This season is fooked is so many ways already. Let's hope we don't embarrass ourselves further and give the enemy too much ammunition.
killerp

Postby C-R » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:12 am

Basing my comments purely on the first 6 games (5 league and 1 CL), i would be surprised if we make top 6 this season, we need to get Emre Can fit as soon as possible and drop the skipper and pair Can and Hendo together, well at least until january

In Januray, we need a real enforcer central midfielder (any ideas anyone???) and a rock solid keeper, if not Valdes then who? Begovic ?
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:33 am

Never really thought we would be challenging for the league even before the team started. Top four is the realistic aim and we will be there  or thereabouts come the end of the season. It is going to be a dogfight though between ourselves, Arsenal and Utd for 3rd and 4th IMO, with the bitters and spurs the outsiders looking to sneak into that group. As I mentioned in another thread, this is going to be a real test for BR. He has lost a world class player, has lots of new players to integrate, has to deal with more games with the CL and also deal with the heightened expectancy after last season.
Doeboy

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:58 am

Like I said in August

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:31 pm
Maybe it's the Suarez hangover but I'm not as optimistic this term as I was at the beginning of the last one.

Hoping BR with his questionable buying spree will surprise me and produce a plan that'll make all these new signings actually succeed as a team.

Sturridge picks up lots of knocks and with him out (even for short spells) our attack will suffer, we'll probably get loads of possession but I fear we'll struggle to score

Can only continue to pray that BR brings in a class striker, if that happens I feel we could maybe end up 3rd or 4th if we're lucky  :)  , and 5th, 6th or even back to 7th if we're not   :(

:(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:01 pm

woof woof ! » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:58 am wrote:Like I said in August

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:31 pm
Maybe it's the Suarez hangover but I'm not as optimistic this term as I was at the beginning of the last one.

Hoping BR with his questionable buying spree will surprise me and produce a plan that'll make all these new signings actually succeed as a team.

Sturridge picks up lots of knocks and with him out (even for short spells) our attack will suffer, we'll probably get loads of possession but I fear we'll struggle to score

Can only continue to pray that BR brings in a class striker, if that happens I feel we could maybe end up 3rd or 4th if we're lucky  :)  , and 5th, 6th or even back to 7th if we're not   :(

That was a good post.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:23 pm

In all honesty, at that time I never addressed our defensive problems, I thought with Loveren on board and some more than handy additions to of FB options we'd be smarter defensively and our priority with Suarez gone should just be to re-inforce up front

How Fu*king wrong was I  :(

Cliched I know BUT winning teams are built from the back, something that our manager is either unaware of OR just  something he chooses to ignore.

The rest of the prem have got us and BR sussed. Like Man U, teams are now thinking "just throw everything at them, tactically they're not equipped to cope"

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion