Next Season - Early Days but ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:20 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:16 pm wrote:
Lando_Griffin » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:48 pm wrote:The priorities as I see them are:

1. Get Pepe back as Mignolet's distribution and command of his area are abysmal.

2. Buy a top right back and get rid of Glen Johnson, who lately looks like he's never even seen a football before. (I'm disappointed with him as he was excellent for us early doors.)

3. New Leftback as Enrique, as good as he is, clearly doesn't turn Rodgers on even when he's fit.

4. New winger to give us extra depth in the wide areas. Konoplyanka is obviously a target but I have no idea if he's good enough.

5. New striker to replace Aspas as he is, and let's be fair to him, utter dog w@nk. We need someone who can make an impact and score goals, not run around 3 miles off the pace.

6. Find Gerrard's replacement and find him soon so they have time to adjust. He's not going to play forever.

Yeah I'd agree with most of that, I can't see Reina coming back though mate, his relationship with Brendan seems to be past repairing, I don't think Brendan took to kindly to Reina's open letter to the fans when he was only going out on loan.

Sadly I think you're right. It's a real shame as Pepe is tailor made for our style of play.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:42 am

Stu the Red » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:50 pm wrote:You're really suggesting Carra made as many mistakes as skrtel? Behave yourself lad. Ridiculous statement.

And you clearly dont remember the city game very well. It was skertel trying to wrestle and for the first it was his error and stupidity that allowed the situation to develop in the first place.

:laugh:  when did I say Carra made more mistakes than Skrtel, I said he had his share of howlers which he did.

I remember the City game well enough. Skrtel was wrestling but giving back what Kompany was giving but it was a mismatch as kompany is much bigger. Negredo's shot a hopeful shot 35 yards out or so which most goalies would have dealt with. How you could blame him for that I don't know regardless on the lead up. He may have not helped the situation but clearly he was not the reason we lost.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:07 am

Some people will only appreciate what they had when it's gone. I appreciate having Skrtel in the team and think he's our best defender and it's nice to have an aerial threat once more. Been ages since we were a threat at set pieces.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby aCe' » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:16 am

maypaxvobiscum » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:07 am wrote:Some people will only appreciate what they had when it's gone. I appreciate having Skrtel in the team and think he's our best defender and it's nice to have an aerial threat once more. Been ages since we were a threat at set pieces.

Skrtel has been fantastic in the second half of the season. Down both ends in my opnion. Bu do you honestly see him coming in next season and picking up where he left off ? For me, much like Flanagan  (and for large periods Henderson), Skrtel has been playing above his abilities this season and the main reason behind the improvement in his performances is the fact that he's in form and high on confidence. On ability alone (which to a large extent is the basis for consistency), he's a player we could improve on and perhaps should regardless of where we end up this season.

Dont get me wrong, if we come in next season and have a centerhalf pairing of Skrtel and Sakho, I wouldnt be too disappointed. He has been brilliant for us in the title run and I can see Rodgers struggling with deciding to part with 15-20 mill to bring in a player to replace one who will deservedly make the league's team of the season.
Last edited by aCe' on Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:20 am

aCe' » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:16 am wrote:
maypaxvobiscum » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:07 am wrote:Some people will only appreciate what they had when it's gone. I appreciate having Skrtel in the team and think he's our best defender and it's nice to have an aerial threat once more. Been ages since we were a threat at set pieces.

Skrtel has been fantastic in the second half of the season. Down both ends in my opnion. Bu do you honestly see him coming in next season and picking up where he left off ? For me, much like Flanagan  (and for large periods Henderson), Skrtel has been playing above his abilities this season and the main reason behind the improvement in his performances is the fact that he's in form and high on confidence. On ability alone (which to a large extent is the basis for consistency), he's a player we could improve on and perhaps should regardless of where we end up this season.

Dont get me wrong, if we come in next season and have a centerhalf pairing of Skrtel and Sakho, I wouldnt be too disappointed. He has been brilliant for us in the title run and I can see Rodgers struggling with deciding to part with 15-20 mill to bring in a player who will deservedly make the league's team of the season.

It's not a priority. Too many changes would disrupt the team. Besides, we have Ilori who looks like an outstanding prospect.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby devaney » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:59 am

Stu I find it fascinating that you use Skrtel's mistakes against City as an example of how poor he is, in your opinion. City have actually shown interest in buying him which just about says it all. All you ever do is criticise his mistakes. You seem to conveniently ignore the times when he has successfully got us out of trouble which more than make up fro the occasional mistake.You are a massive Suarez fan and we share the view that he can do very little wrong. If your assessments were consistent you would be criticising Suarez for making occasional poor decisions and failing to convert a decent scoring opportunity but you choose not to do that. Skrtel's deserves considerably more credit than you afford him.

You regard yourself as an excellent judge of players and yet you assess Carragher as a distinctly average footballer. He has spent his entire career playing at the highest possible level and you dismiss his ability as distinctly average. Distinctly average compared to what? This is the problem I have with people making statements without substance. If you were to suggest that he isn't as good as Kompany or Vidic when he was at his best then I would have a better idea of what you are trying to say. To us the words distinctly average and Jamie Carragher in the same sentence is downright disrespectful.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:21 am

kazza » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:42 am wrote:
Stu the Red » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:50 pm wrote:You're really suggesting Carra made as many mistakes as skrtel? Behave yourself lad. Ridiculous statement.

And you clearly dont remember the city game very well. It was skertel trying to wrestle and for the first it was his error and stupidity that allowed the situation to develop in the first place.

:laugh:  when did I say Carra made more mistakes than Skrtel, I said he had his share of howlers which he did.

I remember the City game well enough. Skrtel was wrestling but giving back what Kompany was giving but it was a mismatch as kompany is much bigger. Negredo's shot a hopeful shot 35 yards out or so which most goalies would have dealt with. How you could blame him for that I don't know regardless on the lead up. He may have not helped the situation but clearly he was not the reason we lost.

You made a comparison between the two, everyone makes mistakes... the fact I'm having to repeat myself time and time again is becoming extremely tedious. The standard of Skrtel's mistakes are very common in the Evo Stick league, watching Prescot Cables you see the same mistakes made at that level on a regular basis.

As for the City game, Skrtel was too busy wrestling to even attempt to win the header. Had Kompany simply got above him and won it, there wouldn't be an argument, however, Skrtel failed to put a challenge in as he was off balance because he decided to grap Kompany, NOT the other way round.

You then go into the Negredo goal... As I've said previously, the chance arose from a shocking amateurish decision to try and be a hero and he ended up taking his team mate completely out of the game.

Look at the goal in the replay, Sahko had Navas exactly where he wanted him, he was forcing him wide, Skrtel was in a good position, then came across the pitch (instead of running backwards in a straight line, which any half decent centre half would do) and that was what can only be described as a complete and utter schoolboy error. The standard of that mistake is absolutely p!ss poor... you get taught from the age of 9 to not do that and to trust your team mate. Had Skrtel have done his own job that ball was never on and that particular situation never arises.... again, not that I'd expect you to understand that.

I have no problem with Skrtel when he plays well. I do have a problem with brain farts and amateurish mistakes. Anyone can have a howler, anyone can f*ck up a decent situation, when someone keeps repeating the same p!ss poor mistakes it becomes rather tedious.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:25 am

devaney » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:59 am wrote:Stu I find it fascinating that you use Skrtel's mistakes against City as an example of how poor he is, in your opinion. City have actually shown interest in buying him which just about says it all. All you ever do is criticise his mistakes. You seem to conveniently ignore the times when he has successfully got us out of trouble which more than make up fro the occasional mistake.You are a massive Suarez fan and we share the view that he can do very little wrong. If your assessments were consistent you would be criticising Suarez for making occasional poor decisions and failing to convert a decent scoring opportunity but you choose not to do that. Skrtel's deserves considerably more credit than you afford him.

You regard yourself as an excellent judge of players and yet you assess Carragher as a distinctly average footballer. He has spent his entire career playing at the highest possible level and you dismiss his ability as distinctly average. Distinctly average compared to what? This is the problem I have with people making statements without substance. If you were to suggest that he isn't as good as Kompany or Vidic when he was at his best then I would have a better idea of what you are trying to say. To us the words distinctly average and Jamie Carragher in the same sentence is downright disrespectful.

Same old Sh*t Dev.

If people wanna criticize Lucas or Toure or Mignolet, then fair enough, but Skrtel?  :no
He's been one of the top 6 players for us this season alongside Gerrard, Suarez, Sterling, Henderson and Sturridge.

That's the problem, he thinks he's always right.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:12 pm

devaney » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:59 am wrote:Stu I find it fascinating that you use Skrtel's mistakes against City as an example of how poor he is, in your opinion. City have actually shown interest in buying him which just about says it all. All you ever do is criticise his mistakes. You seem to conveniently ignore the times when he has successfully got us out of trouble which more than make up fro the occasional mistake.You are a massive Suarez fan and we share the view that he can do very little wrong. If your assessments were consistent you would be criticising Suarez for making occasional poor decisions and failing to convert a decent scoring opportunity but you choose not to do that. Skrtel's deserves considerably more credit than you afford him.

Getting bored of repeating myself.

Skrtel's mistakes are amateurish, always have been, always will be. He's simply not good enough. Suarez is a world class footballer and the fact you use the two as a comparison is quite frankly ridiculous.

On Carragher, he was an average centre half, who made the most of what he had. Simple as that.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Sun May 04, 2014 10:48 am

In: (Priorities)

Begovic - £15,000,000
Richards - £10,000,000
Pedro - £28,000,000
Top centre half - £20,000,000

Out:

Mignolet - £6,000,000
Reina - £4,000,000
Aspas - £4,000,000
Lucas - £5,000,000
Agger - £12,000,000
Johson - £350,000

Leaving us with a team of...

GK - Begovic

RB - Richards
CB - New centre half
CB - Sahko
LB - Enrique

CM - Gerrard
CM - Henderson
CM - Coutinho

RW - Sterling
LW - Pedro
CF - Suarez

Subs:

GK - Jones
FB - Flannagan
CB - Skrtel
CB - Wisdom/Illori
MF - Allen
MF - Alberto (or someone new)
AT - Sturridge

Which would be a strong enough squad to allow us to rotate certain players and have a superb attacking option from the bench should we need a goal. :) Also, if we then have injuries we can replace any player in the side with someone who's at least capable...

But we'd have to spend £50,000,000 :D
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sun May 04, 2014 2:14 pm

How about Jedinak from Crystal Palace or Redmond from Norwich? They would be smart buys for a nominal fee.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby metalhead » Sun May 04, 2014 6:07 pm

Well looks like Eden Hazard is not happy under Mourinho...

Cheeky bid for Hazard? anyone?
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 04, 2014 6:22 pm

metalhead » Sun May 04, 2014 5:07 pm wrote:Well looks like Eden Hazard is not happy under Mourinho...

Even if we could afford the astronomical transfer fee the likes of City and PSG could offer him far more in wages than we ever could. I don't see Chelsea selling him anyway, quite frankly they need him, a lot of big money signings aren't doing the business for them.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby metalhead » Sun May 04, 2014 10:20 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 04, 2014 5:22 pm wrote:
metalhead » Sun May 04, 2014 5:07 pm wrote:Well looks like Eden Hazard is not happy under Mourinho...

Even if we could afford the astronomical transfer fee the likes of City and PSG could offer him far more in wages than we ever could. I don't see Chelsea selling him anyway, quite frankly they need him, a lot of big money signings aren't doing the business for them.

Yeh I know mate, would be a nice dream though.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Tue May 06, 2014 1:11 am

Just some quick points after tonight's disappointing results...

I think the team have set such a high expectations all season, so this disappointing result should not take away my appreciation of our season. A few things that we need to learn from this season tho...

- our defensive frailties need to be addressed, immediately! We have scored 99 league goals and yet we are still chasing an inferior goal difference primarily due to us giving up far too goals especially in the final 30 minutes of the game. Johnson (£100K/week)  is not pulling his weight, Skrtel is too unreliable and capable of the most basic mistake far too frequently. Sakho still need to improve and should improve as well as young Flano's concentration at the most crucial time. If we could defend, we would already be champion this season...FACT

- lack of leadership. Stevie is a legend to this club so how is it fair to even criticising him? but we know he is no Carra, someone who could organise the team and not be afraid to mouth off if any players don't pull the weight

- we need a player who could dictate the tempo of the game and be the key game changer/play maker for us. We have no one to replace Xabi since he left and we need players like that especially when oppositions are parking their bus.

- I don't care what Brendan says, we do need to have a Plan B because teams will know how to sit tight in the first half then run us over in the last 30 mins. This has been our weakness all season since Game #1 so this needs to be addressed. I love our playing style but unfortunately defending is also a part of our game and it is not as easy as Brendan would make it sounds like.

We have already the core players in place and more (Ibe, Tex, Suso etc) are being groomed. I believe adding a couple of world class players in the key position and we will be ready to make another run next season.

Allin all, a great season although not the finish that we could dream of, but much much more than what we could have hoped for back in August. I shed a tear or two tonight but I'll drink to a great season come next Sunday. YNWA
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion