Season review - Probs a tad early but hey

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby duk » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:09 pm

After all the hype and performances of the last two seasons I really thought this could be it. August came and started with three 2-1 score lines in a row all of which in our favour, I had doubted the signings of Bellamy and Gonzalez yet there goals at Anfield against Maccabi Haifa opened the season well. The win over Chelsea days later made me even more optimistic that this was our year, we could beat the best. So why did we drop Premiership points at our first game, we could beat Chelsea yet not Sheffield United? Agger’s strike against West Ham was the pick of the first game back at Anfield yet we let the Blues embarrass us at Godison, 3-0 was hard to take. Then we threw some more money away with the signing of Kuyt I couldn’t believe it but it was a done deal and I hoped he would prove me wrong. Away loses to Chelsea, Bolton, Man Utd and Arsenal bought us into November without an away point since that dull day in Sheffield. In the mean time we had booted Birmingham followed by Reading out of the Carling Cup and had qualified for the knockout stages of the CL, once again it seemed that silverware was going to come from the knockout competitions. November 18th …. Finally a point away from home in a boring 0-0 at the riverside.
December came and as always Liverpool finally kicked into gear. Two 4-0 followed by a 2-0 and a 3-0 got me singing again, maybe we could still win the league maybe a run of clean sheets and 3 goals per game was going to land us the titled, then again maybe not, Blackburn played :censored: yet beat us 1-0 on boxing day. Them 9 Arsenal goals in January meant that we had to beat Barcelona in February or that was it, our season over 4 months short of the finish line.
The visit of Chelsea put a smile on my face and I’ll never forgot Pennants goal, January ended on a high. February started with a chance to punish the Blue’s for the 3-0 embarrassment but 0-0 just added to it, we couldn’t beat Everton?! We then went to Spain and played that everything or nothing match, and Thank :censored: we beat them. We then got home and showed Sheffield a thing or two (about how to win penalties!) Manure came and took 3 points despite Liverpool playing the much better football, our problem? We couldn’t finish, the 23 million we had spent on strikers couldn’t find the net, yet a queer united defender could?! Barcelona had a pop at overturning there loss but couldn’t do enough and we went through on away goals. My belief in Liverpool’s destiny in the European cup was re-lit and the draw giving us PSV was proof of it. Arsenal came to get hammered as did PSV and the season in the Premiership looked done. Were made sure we were going on to play Chelsea then spent 2 weeks waiting for them. A 1-0 loss wasn’t the best start but it wasn’t the worst, the maths was simple don’t let them score at Anfield.

The rest of this story is yet to be written let’s hope it ends well …

Overall it's been a frustrating season and we haven't really acheived, we want world class players but what do we have to attract them. Huge wins were followed by gritty, dull defeats. Runs never lasted long enough and 2 points in three months away from home really wasn't good enough  :(

However we have shown once again that we have the potential to do well, lets hope that next season will finally be it
duk

Postby EddieC » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:11 pm

You said in the title you knew it was too early so why post it?
EddieC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:14 pm

duk wrote:After all the hype and performances of the last two seasons I really thought this could be it. August came and started with three 2-1 score lines in a row all of which in our favour, I had doubted the signings of Bellamy and Gonzalez yet there goals at Anfield against Maccabi Haifa opened the season well. The win over Chelsea days later made me even more optimistic that this was our year, we could beat the best. So why did we drop Premiership points at our first game, we could beat Chelsea yet not Sheffield United? Agger’s strike against West Ham was the pick of the first game back at Anfield yet we let the Blues embarrass us at Godison, 3-0 was hard to take. Then we threw some more money away with the signing of Kuyt I couldn’t believe it but it was a done deal and I hoped he would prove me wrong. Away loses to Chelsea, Bolton, Man Utd and Arsenal bought us into November without an away point since that dull day in Sheffield. In the mean time we had booted Birmingham followed by Reading out of the Carling Cup and had qualified for the knockout stages of the CL, once again it seemed that silverware was going to come from the knockout competitions. November 18th …. Finally a point away from home in a boring 0-0 at the riverside.
December came and as always Liverpool finally kicked into gear. Two 4-0 followed by a 2-0 and a 3-0 got me singing again, maybe we could still win the league maybe a run of clean sheets and 3 goals per game was going to land us the titled, then again maybe not, Blackburn played :censored: yet beat us 1-0 on boxing day. Them 9 Arsenal goals in January meant that we had to beat Barcelona in February or that was it, our season over 4 months short of the finish line.
The visit of Chelsea put a smile on my face and I’ll never forgot Pennants goal, January ended on a high. February started with a chance to punish the Blue’s for the 3-0 embarrassment but 0-0 just added to it, we couldn’t beat Everton?! We then went to Spain and played that everything or nothing match, and Thank :censored: we beat them. We then got home and showed Sheffield a thing or two (about how to win penalties!) Manure came and took 3 points despite Liverpool playing the much better football, our problem? We couldn’t finish, the 23 million we had spent on strikers couldn’t find the net, yet a queer united defender could?! Barcelona had a pop at overturning there loss but couldn’t do enough and we went through on away goals. My belief in Liverpool’s destiny in the European cup was re-lit and the draw giving us PSV was proof of it. Arsenal came to get hammered as did PSV and the season in the Premiership looked done. Were made sure we were going on to play Chelsea then spent 2 weeks waiting for them. A 1-0 loss wasn’t the best start but it wasn’t the worst, the maths was simple don’t let them score at Anfield.

The rest of this story is yet to be written let’s hope it ends well …

Overall it's been a frustrating season and we haven't really acheived, we want world class players but what do we have to attract them. Huge wins were followed by gritty, dull defeats. Runs never lasted long enough and 2 points in three months away from home really wasn't good enough  :(

However we have shown once again that we have the potential to do well, lets hope that next season will finally be it

First game of the season was at Brammal Lane and we drew 1-1 so I stopped reading your post at this point.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby duk » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:17 pm

i never said the first game of the season wasn't a 1-1 at brammel lane simply that we played 3 games in August before that anoyin 1-1 and won all of them 2-1
duk

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:26 pm

duk wrote:i never said the first game of the season wasn't a 1-1 at brammel lane simply that we played 3 games in August before that anoyin 1-1 and won all of them 2-1

So you based your assesment of the team and how well we would do this season on hte strength of 3 friendlies ?

Dont give up the day job.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby EddieC » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:31 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
duk wrote:i never said the first game of the season wasn't a 1-1 at brammel lane simply that we played 3 games in August before that anoyin 1-1 and won all of them 2-1

So you based your assesment of the team and how well we would do this season on hte strength of 3 friendlies ?

Dont give up the day job.

And even then I've just checked the friendly results & we didn't win three games 2-1, we won two.
EddieC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby duk » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:26 pm

Hiafa in a CLQ was 2-1 win as was the following friendly with Lincoln City then we beat Chelsea 2-1

i never judged the season on these wins ...

i said they added to the hype, u can't honestly say that after beating chelsea u didn't strt 2 think this cud b our season???
duk

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:27 pm

duk wrote:Hiafa in a CLQ was 2-1 win as was the following friendly with Lincoln City then we beat Chelsea 2-1

i never judged the season on these wins ...

i said they added to the hype, u can't honestly say that after beating chelsea u didn't strt 2 think this cud b our season???

Defeats at Kaiserslauten, Grasshoppers and Mainz got me a little worried that the obvious optomism being a red brings was misplaced this season.

A narrow win at home with the visiting team from Israel scoring was tempered by the obvious joy of beating what looked like a full strength Chelsea.

However score draws away at Sheffield United and in Kiev told me that it might not be our season.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RichardLFC1 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:06 pm

On the bad side:

Losing 3-0 to everton at Goodison then getting a 0-0 at Anfield

Drawing 1st game against sheffield united

Drawing to middelsborough when we were clearly the better team.

Getting knocked out of the Fa cup early and losing to Arsenal in the Carlng cup at the quaters

On the good side:

Beating chelsea at Anfield.

4-1 against Arsenal.

Champions league semi final atleast

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby The Manhattan Project » Tue May 01, 2007 12:32 am

Never thought we could seriously win the title. But we were out of the running after those disasterous away results. Good performances in the Champions League. Disappointing FA Cup and Carling Cup.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion