Next Season - Early Days but ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby eds » Fri May 16, 2014 3:03 pm

Sorry Leon, but Borini, Ibe and Suso will not add any real depth to our squad as they aren't good enough to be anywhere near our starting XI next season. Our standards now need to improve to what we have been use to.

The only player worth keeping is Ilori who probably needs another season to become a regular in our side.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby Stu the Red » Fri May 16, 2014 11:32 pm

Ibe looks exciting from the glimpses we have seen. Ilori is a complete mystery and the others need to leave. Only really sakho has shown anything of the summer signings. Even he needs to step it up. Which I believe he will when enrique returns and we sign a good goalie, centre back partner and right back.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby parchpea » Sat May 17, 2014 1:32 am

My only wish is that we don't start buying young kids or chance buys again.

4 top class proven players, a left back, a centre back, a holding midfield player and an attacking
player.

This is the minimum requirement and lads that will more often than not start games.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat May 17, 2014 11:16 am

parchpea » Sat May 17, 2014 12:32 am wrote:My only wish is that we don't start buying young kids or chance buys again.

4 top class proven players, a left back, a centre back, a holding midfield player and an attacking
player.

This is the minimum requirement and lads that will more often than not start games.

From what BR said, this is what we are trying to do. The extra money from finishing second, getting into the CL and selling the likes of Reina should give us a decent wad to spend. Let's hope we use it wisely, because we are on the verge of pushing on to greatness. Let's not squander it!
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Focus » Sat May 17, 2014 12:25 pm

I don't know whether there's another reason for this but I've noticed of all the players Brendan signed since he took over, with the exception of Sturridge and Coutinho, the others have been either flops or average. The flops are Assaidi, Borini, Aspas, Alberto. The average are Mignolet, Sakho and Toure while the loanees Sashin, Moses and Cissokho have all underperformed. Illori has been a blank screen as we haven't had the chance to see much of him. So I hope he can do better in this window with some quality additions. I don't know how much the owners will give him, but anything less than 100 million will not win us the title next season as Chelsea, City, Manure, Spurs and Arsenal will all strenthen.Brendan, I have no doubt and he has proven it, that he is good but there is only that much he can do without some serious funding.
Red Focus
LFC Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sat May 17, 2014 12:30 pm

Who do you guys think will breakthrough next season? The likely suspects are as follows, with their age alongside names:

Jordan Ibe - 18
Suso - 20
Andre Wisdom - 21
Luis Alberto - 21
Jack Robinson - 20
Tiago Ilori - 21
Samed Yesil - 19
Joao Carlos - 21

Of course there's Martin Kelly and Sebastian Coates but as I've mentioned before, they are already gonna turn 24 and it's clear they aren't good enough hence should be moved on. Would be good to keep Kelly though, as he adds to the home-grown quota (if they even take it seriously to begin with!).

I'm really hoping to see more of Yesil and Suso. Perhaps send Alberto on loan to Swansea or something? He might be more comfortable there seeing the number of Spanish lads.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby woof woof ! » Sat May 17, 2014 1:23 pm

Red Focus » Sat May 17, 2014 12:25 pm wrote:I don't know whether there's another reason for this but I've noticed of all the players Brendan signed since he took over, with the exception of Sturridge and Coutinho, the others have been either flops or average.

Since his arrival the clubs transfer policy has perhaps inhibited Brendan's ability to sign players he really wants, however it doesn't excuse how millions and millions were blown on players that subsequently rarely featured and when they did had most of wondering why the fk did we sign him ?

Appreciate that he apparently had to work within a "transfer committee" BUT he is after all the manager and I'm sure he was as p'issed of as we were at how many of our targets slipped away, however I'm equally sure that no player would have actually been signed without Brendans agreement.

Transfers are for me still the biggest question mark against Brendan's management . I can only hope that after the season we've had he realises that status wise he now wields a bit more clout, and uses it !

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Santa » Sun May 18, 2014 6:48 am

Look at it this way...we could have lost Henderson and got Dempsey and Sigurdsson if Brendan has got his way
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby CELIK » Fri May 23, 2014 3:29 am

A right fullback, Johnson was very disappointing this past season. It's evident that we're in the market for another centerhalf, maybe two depending if Toure stays or not. Other than that, another central/holding midfielder is a must, a wide forward and attacking midfielder.
CELIK
LFC newBie

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri May 23, 2014 12:37 pm

CELIK » Fri May 23, 2014 2:29 am wrote:A right fullback, Johnson was very disappointing this past season. It's evident that we're in the market for another centerhalf, maybe two depending if Toure stays or not. Other than that, another central/holding midfielder is a must, a wide forward and attacking midfielder.

We are desperate for a quality CM, I thought our strike force papered over a lot of cracks last season.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:59 am

CELIK » Fri May 23, 2014 3:29 am wrote:A right fullback, Johnson was very disappointing this past season. It's evident that we're in the market for another centerhalf, maybe two depending if Toure stays or not. Other than that, another central/holding midfielder is a must, a wide forward and attacking midfielder.

Loads of prem experience with City and Spurs and his performance against Brazil reminded me what a good player  Croatia's Vedran Corluka is.

Can play RB, CB and at a pinch LB., aged 28 and would cost under £10 mill.

Maybe worth a punt if available ?

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:00 am

Santa » Sun May 18, 2014 5:48 am wrote:Look at it this way...we could have lost Henderson and got Dempsey and Sigurdsson if Brendan has got his way

Kick him out I say...
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:29 pm

woof woof ! » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:59 am wrote:
CELIK » Fri May 23, 2014 3:29 am wrote:A right fullback, Johnson was very disappointing this past season. It's evident that we're in the market for another centerhalf, maybe two depending if Toure stays or not. Other than that, another central/holding midfielder is a must, a wide forward and attacking midfielder.

Loads of prem experience with City and Spurs and his performance against Brazil reminded me what a good player  Croatia's Vedran Corluka is.

Can play RB, CB and at a pinch LB., aged 28 and would cost under £10 mill.

Maybe worth a punt if available ?

Not bad by any stretch, would rather him there than the joke!
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Jesus » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:35 am

We need a decent winger + attacking box to box midfielder, as Hendo, lucas and joe allen + an ageing stevie g, do.not inspire confidence. We are well short there, and in defence
Jesus
LFC Basic Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:11 pm

I think the players return for pre season training tomorrow (those not on World Cup duty anyway).
Our first friendly (against Preston) is less than two weeks away on the 19th so the new season is not that far away now. In fact it kicks off in a little over a month and there's a tour to the States to be squeezed in as well.
This off season has flown over, probably because of the World Cup.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion