Next Season - Early Days but ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:18 pm

leeroy74 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:34 am wrote:If we win this league this season does anyone else think Brendan has set the bar a bit high for next year? I mean, I love BR and I want to win the league but then say we finish 3rd next season...  I don't want the owners to do a city and bin BR off... maybe I'm thinking too much about it.

i think what we have achieved this year has been exceptional and well beyond anyone's expectation, including fenway considering the money they have given. it would be very unfair if rodgers would be canned for failing to replicate next season.
he has a 3 year contract in which to return us to the CL so the fact that we are going to make it a year early is testament to the great work that he has achieved in such a short time. as long as he makes the CL next season then i wouldnt think there will be a problem.
all fenway want is the extra revenue that comes with it and once they have it they wont take losing it lightly so its important they back him this year and give him the control he wants along with the funds or else he might be tempted elsewhere now that he has raised his standing within the game. i think that might be the likeliest out come should he fall out with henry & co.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:14 pm

leeroy74 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:34 am wrote:If we win this league this season does anyone else think Brendan has set the bar a bit high for next year? I mean, I love BR and I want to win the league but then say we finish 3rd next season...  I don't want the owners to do a city and bin BR off... maybe I'm thinking too much about it.

If (that's a big if) he wins the title I think he'll basically have a job for life, don't forget over the past 24 years this club has spent hundreds upon hundreds of millions of pounds and managers have ended up on operating tables due to the stress of  trying to bring that title back to Anfield. We've had some tremendous players like Fowler, Owen, Mcmanaman, Torres, Alonso, Mascherano, Carragher, Hyypia, Litmanen etc etc who gave everything in a red shirt but never managed to hold that trophy above their heads.
It's not called the Holy Grail for nothing.
If Brendan manages to win the title in an era where you not only have the traditional giants like United and Arsenal to contend with but TWO financially doped petro-dollar behemoths then it would be a brave chairman to show him the door.
Let's not forget it was only 2 or 3 years ago that this club was in absolute turmoil.
Rodgers has done an incredible job to get us this far, if he does manage to take us from 7th to the title he will have performed a miracle of biblical water into wine type proportions.
Long way to go yet though, Chelsea went to City earlier on in the season when City were battering everyone and won, not only did they win they played them off the park, they are more than capable of beating us at Anfield and Palace won't be easy either.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:19 pm

leeroy74 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:34 am wrote:If we win this league this season does anyone else think Brendan has set the bar a bit high for next year? I mean, I love BR and I want to win the league but then say we finish 3rd next season...  I don't want the owners to do a city and bin BR off... maybe I'm thinking too much about it.

I think he's already achieved far more than anyone, including the owners, expected. I'd be surprised when they sit down to talk about extending his contract if it wasn't a 4-5 year deal plus a lot more authority on transfer dealings.

As for where's the bar set ? Continued CL qualification would probably suit the owners, they are after all "business men" before they are footy fans, check Wenger's reign at Arsenal  as an example of what the men in suits will settle for, i.e you don't have to actually win a trophy, you just have to keep us eating at the top table.

As fans we can only hope that FSG are prepared to give us the money that will allow BR to make us far more than just guests at that table. In the meantime, for the foreseeable future, imo provided we continue to qualify for CL footy Brendans job is safe.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:39 am

With the end of the season fast approaching it looks like the miracle is more on now than ever, providing there is nothing daft. All in though, the reality is if even if we finish as low as we possibly can now, we've had an absolutely unbelievable season.

The form in the league has been exceptional to say the least and the attacking play at times has been absolutely breathtaking. The first 25 minutes against Arsenal was the best football I've ever seen Liverpool play, we made some very good players look like amateurs and it was superb to watch.

Its clear this side has goals in it. And a lot of them. We can bang on about our strengths all we like... but the reality is this summer we're going to need to improve, and improve greatly. If we stand still I firmly believe we could find ourselves outside the top four again next sesaon.

The fact is, we've been extremely lucky with injuries this season. We've also been lucky with the patterns in form of our players, we've always had one of our best players performing when the others aren't quite firing on all cylinders, also the fixture list has been kind, allowing us to build on runs with easier games to follow them up (City and Chelsea away aside). This has all contributed to us being in the position we're in. Also not having midweek distractions has given our management team 5 days to prepare for games rather than 2 or 3, this also has a major impact.

Next season we need more players and players of better quality. For me, a "wide striker" is one of our priority positions. We need someone who can come in and play in a front three and preferably be better than Sturridge. For me, Sterling and Suarez compliment each other superbly and I think in terms of balance, if we can get Luis back in his best position with a class winger in the side then we'd have options, quality and depth, which next season will be important. Pedro is being spoken about as wanting to leave Barcelona and he'd be absolutely top notch for us especially in our style of play as its not to dis similar to the one he's used to.

Being able to pick three from a front four of Suarez, Pedro, Sterling and Sturridge would be as good as anything in europe for me. Coutinho could also fill in wide if we were desperate.

Coming into the midfield I think the main aim in this area is to find Gerrard's replacement. Henderson has certainly proven he deserves another season with his energy and link up play and I think the signing of a "future Gerrard" or a Morgan Schneiderlin type would be ideal. Someone who can add physical presence, power and defensive awareness would be a good choice. If we signed a prospect in this area I don't believe it would be the end of the world providing that they have the ability to dislodge Gerrard depending on injuries, form etc. This area for me is something that has improved greatly this season. Lucas for me must be shown the door as he contributes nothing to the way the side plays and is eating up wages. Allen has shown flashes at times and I believe is a good squad player, while Coutinho is one of the first names on the team sheet.

Onto the weakest part of the side and this is where I believe we need an overhaul. Sahko and Agger are fine. Toure is past his best and Skrtel is too error prone, although he's had a strong end to the season he's only ever had runs of games where he's performed and never shown it over a full season and I think its time he was released if the right offer comes in. We will need to replace his goal threat however. Flannagan is fine at full back, primarily as back up and Rodgers clearly doesn't fancy Jose Enrique so we're going to need two full backs. Richards is on a free and his ability to also cover at centre half would push me towards him. Johnson should F*CK OFF because he's dog wa*k.

And we need a new keeper. Reina or Begovic please. This summer is not a time to stand still.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby metalhead » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:46 pm

Stu the Red » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:39 am wrote:With the end of the season fast approaching it looks like the miracle is more on now than ever, providing there is nothing daft. All in though, the reality is if even if we finish as low as we possibly can now, we've had an absolutely unbelievable season.

The form in the league has been exceptional to say the least and the attacking play at times has been absolutely breathtaking. The first 25 minutes against Arsenal was the best football I've ever seen Liverpool play, we made some very good players look like amateurs and it was superb to watch.

Its clear this side has goals in it. And a lot of them. We can bang on about our strengths all we like... but the reality is this summer we're going to need to improve, and improve greatly. If we stand still I firmly believe we could find ourselves outside the top four again next sesaon.

The fact is, we've been extremely lucky with injuries this season. We've also been lucky with the patterns in form of our players, we've always had one of our best players performing when the others aren't quite firing on all cylinders, also the fixture list has been kind, allowing us to build on runs with easier games to follow them up (City and Chelsea away aside). This has all contributed to us being in the position we're in. Also not having midweek distractions has given our management team 5 days to prepare for games rather than 2 or 3, this also has a major impact.

Next season we need more players and players of better quality. For me, a "wide striker" is one of our priority positions. We need someone who can come in and play in a front three and preferably be better than Sturridge. For me, Sterling and Suarez compliment each other superbly and I think in terms of balance, if we can get Luis back in his best position with a class winger in the side then we'd have options, quality and depth, which next season will be important. Pedro is being spoken about as wanting to leave Barcelona and he'd be absolutely top notch for us especially in our style of play as its not to dis similar to the one he's used to.

Being able to pick three from a front four of Suarez, Pedro, Sterling and Sturridge would be as good as anything in europe for me. Coutinho could also fill in wide if we were desperate.

Coming into the midfield I think the main aim in this area is to find Gerrard's replacement. Henderson has certainly proven he deserves another season with his energy and link up play and I think the signing of a "future Gerrard" or a Morgan Schneiderlin type would be ideal. Someone who can add physical presence, power and defensive awareness would be a good choice. If we signed a prospect in this area I don't believe it would be the end of the world providing that they have the ability to dislodge Gerrard depending on injuries, form etc. This area for me is something that has improved greatly this season. Lucas for me must be shown the door as he contributes nothing to the way the side plays and is eating up wages. Allen has shown flashes at times and I believe is a good squad player, while Coutinho is one of the first names on the team sheet.

Onto the weakest part of the side and this is where I believe we need an overhaul. Sahko and Agger are fine. Toure is past his best and Skrtel is too error prone, although he's had a strong end to the season he's only ever had runs of games where he's performed and never shown it over a full season and I think its time he was released if the right offer comes in. We will need to replace his goal threat however. Flannagan is fine at full back, primarily as back up and Rodgers clearly doesn't fancy Jose Enrique so we're going to need two full backs. Richards is on a free and his ability to also cover at centre half would push me towards him. Johnson should F*CK OFF because he's dog wa*k.

And we need a new keeper. Reina or Begovic please. This summer is not a time to stand still.

Very good post Stu.

It's already been talked in the media that Rodgers is looking to strengthen in defense and getting a wide player is a priority, looks like we might go again for the Ukranian fella.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:07 pm

Get rid of Aly Cissokho and Victor Moses first. Please God don't make their moves permanent. They make the Diao and Diouf signings look decent. 

Martin Kelly and Sebastian Coates should be sold too. They aren't young anymore, both being 23/24. We have Tiago Ilori, Andre Wisdom and Ryan McLaughlin who are younger and have more potential. Coates has been unlucky with injuries and it's really unfortunate but I really don't see a future for him at this club. He reminds me a lot of Gaby Palleta and perhaps the Serie A would suit him better. Same goes for Martin Kelly. Not been the same since his lengthy lay off. Think the Italian league would suit them really well.

Next, sell Iago Aspas and Michael Ngoo. They offer nothing to the team and we've better players such as Samed Yesil and Fabio Borini. The Italian has been really good at Sunderland having seen quite a number of their games this season and he's good at pressing from the top. Good option to have off the bench. Plus some people are forgetting he's just 21 and has been unlucky with injuries. He deserves another season or two.

As for the others out on loan, would be nice to have Pepe Reina back and give Mignolet some competition. Oussama Assaidi on the other hand, can leave.

Really unsure about Glen Johnson. He's been abysmal so the best thing is not to offer him an extension but keep him till it runs out.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby damjan193 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:40 pm

maypaxvobiscum » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:07 pm wrote:Get rid of Aly Cissokho and Victor Moses first. Please God don't make their moves permanent.

Don't worry mate.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2014/04/vi ... he-summer/
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:43 pm

Stu the Red » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:39 pm wrote:With the end of the season fast approaching it looks like the miracle is more on now than ever, providing there is nothing daft. All in though, the reality is if even if we finish as low as we possibly can now, we've had an absolutely unbelievable season.

Good post overall but 1 main point that I'll disagree with. A few months ago, I would have gone with the idea of bringing in a wide forward and benching Sturridge more often than not. After the season he's had though and the success that the side has had with the current setup and particularly with 2 upfront, I wouldnt change that regardless of who the player coming in is.

For me Sterling has had a fantastic season and if his performances this year dont buy him another season as a starter then nothing will. Obviously, we'll need another option or two but I wouldnt go out and spend the bulk of our budget on a wide player. If we bring in Pedro for big money, then my money would be on Coutinho (maybe Sterling) making way in the lineup rather than Sturridge and probably rightfully so. 

If I had to pick 3 players to bring in next season I'd go for these:

GK - Stegen/Begovic/Lloris
CB - Subotic/Caulker/Lovren
FW - Bony

We could also do with a RB, CM, and wide player but I'd probably settle for lower quality players for these positions since most would be squad players competing with what we have (assuming we keep the same squad we have for next season).
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:01 pm

woof woof ! » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:44 pm wrote:Some interesting choices Stu.

"Regulars" apparently out of your squad (?) Mignolet, Johnson , Skrtel, Toure and Lucas, whilst the likes of Wisdom and Robinson are given a place.

Still no room for Illori, Alberto or Ibe ?

Mignolet, Johnson and Skrtel have all featured heavily for us in what might be a title winning season. As it is we will need to beef up the squad to account for our participation in the CL. That alone means change and giving those players ample time to settle into a winning unit. Personally whilst I think we will sign some more quality in the summer, I don't think we will find ourselves with the luxury of being able to remove those 3 players. Too much change too soon can have a negative impact and the key thing for us will be maintaining our performances in the league whilst incrementally adding to that to compete in Europe as well.

Depending on what the transfer strategy looks like in the summer we may have to lose some people anyway but I seriously doubt we will get rid of all 3 of those. Toure maybe and Lucas at a stretch.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:27 pm

Skrtel and Mignolet have done considerably more good than harm and wouldn't be high on my list to change unless we suddenly have Man city's cheque book. Johnson is on massive money and we could certainly do better but ironically we seem to play better when he is in the team, or am I imagining things. Lucas can be useful as a squad player but I'm not sure that he is first choice quality any longer. Injuries have caused him real problems.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:48 pm

The priorities as I see them are:

1. Get Pepe back as Mignolet's distribution and command of his area are abysmal.

2. Buy a top right back and get rid of Glen Johnson, who lately looks like he's never even seen a football before. (I'm disappointed with him as he was excellent for us early doors.)

3. New Leftback as Enrique, as good as he is, clearly doesn't turn Rodgers on even when he's fit.

4. New winger to give us extra depth in the wide areas. Konoplyanka is obviously a target but I have no idea if he's good enough.

5. New striker to replace Aspas as he is, and let's be fair to him, utter dog w@nk. We need someone who can make an impact and score goals, not run around 3 miles off the pace.

6. Find Gerrard's replacement and find him soon so they have time to adjust. He's not going to play forever.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:02 pm

devaney » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:27 pm wrote:Skrtel and Mignolet have done considerably more good than harm

We've conceded more than Palace and Hull.

Use your imagination, do you think if we had Hyypia at his best and Reina at his best instead of these two we'd have conceded anything like the same number of goals?

My bet is it would be more around the late 20's.

We absolutely must improve the defence in the summer. If we stand still we'll be back to square one. Unfortunately I want us to dominate this country again, not just do a Blackburn Rovers and win it once and disappear.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:30 pm

Stu the Red » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:02 pm wrote:
devaney » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:27 pm wrote:Skrtel and Mignolet have done considerably more good than harm

Use your imagination, do you think if we had Hyypia at his best and Reina at his best instead of these two we'd have conceded anything like the same number of goals?

We absolutely must improve the defence in the summer. If we stand still we'll be back to square one. Unfortunately I want us to dominate this country again, not just do a Blackburn Rovers and win it once and disappear.

I don't know Stu. I know that you'll disagree but I don't think that the fact we've conceded so many goals is down to our defenders. Actually, I think that we're good in both quality and quantity when it comes to our CBs. We've been a bit unlucky with injuries in that department as well so that contributed a lot to us conceding so many goals. Our problem in defending, as I said in another thread, is tactical and because of the lack of support by our midfield. Also, we're an attacking side, so even if we sort out our problems we still won't concede less than 35-40 goals per season.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:07 pm

damjan193 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:30 pm wrote:
Stu the Red » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:02 pm wrote:

I don't know Stu. I know that you'll disagree but I don't think that the fact we've conceded so many goals is down to our defenders. Actually, I think that we're good in both quality and quantity when it comes to our CBs. We've been a bit unlucky with injuries in that department as well so that contributed a lot to us conceding so many goals. Our problem in defending, as I said in another thread, is tactical and because of the lack of support by our midfield. Also, we're an attacking side, so even if we sort out our problems we still won't concede less than 35-40 goals per season.

Exactly, in Hyppia's hay day under GH when we conceded very few goals we were playing with Heskey as a striker because he was a good defender. We conceded few and scored few.

More important than how many we conceded is goal diff and it is not too shabby.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:16 pm

Lando_Griffin » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:48 pm wrote:The priorities as I see them are:

1. Get Pepe back as Mignolet's distribution and command of his area are abysmal.

2. Buy a top right back and get rid of Glen Johnson, who lately looks like he's never even seen a football before. (I'm disappointed with him as he was excellent for us early doors.)

3. New Leftback as Enrique, as good as he is, clearly doesn't turn Rodgers on even when he's fit.

4. New winger to give us extra depth in the wide areas. Konoplyanka is obviously a target but I have no idea if he's good enough.

5. New striker to replace Aspas as he is, and let's be fair to him, utter dog w@nk. We need someone who can make an impact and score goals, not run around 3 miles off the pace.

6. Find Gerrard's replacement and find him soon so they have time to adjust. He's not going to play forever.

Yeah I'd agree with most of that, I can't see Reina coming back though mate, his relationship with Brendan seems to be past repairing, I don't think Brendan took to kindly to Reina's open letter to the fans when he was only going out on loan.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion