Next Season - Early Days but ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:44 pm

Ignore my last post our first game is actually next Wednesday against Brondby in Denmark!
That's only 8 days away. Looking forward to seeing Emre Can play I have to say.
We'll let lee start the match thread, see if he can repeat his heroics of last season  :D
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kopite-Jud » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:32 pm

-----------------Reina--------------------
Flano---Skrtel--------Agger--- Enrique-
---------------Gerrard--------------------
---------Can-----------Hendo------------
--------------------------------------------
---Sterling-------------------Lallana-----
---------------Sturridge-------------------

Ibe,Markovic,Johnson,Sakho,Aspas,Borini,Allen, Mingolet, Lambert,Coutinho

Suarez - Gone
Lucas - Almost certainly gone
Assaidi?
Toure?
Coates?
Alberto - on loan
Llori-?
Suso?
Kelly?
Wisdom?

Jesus christ  :down:  some sh!te there   :help  :help  :help  :help
Kopite-Jud

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:47 pm

We've still got a lot of players on holiday after the World Cup so I'm hoping for something like this. I hope Ilorri gets a chance to show what he can do, he looked very impressive for Granada last year and he was outstanding against Barcelona.                     

Jones

Flanno             Skrtel         Ilorri           Enrique

Can           Allen

Ibe                    Coutinho              Suso

Aspas
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:46 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:47 pm wrote:We've still got a lot of players on holiday after the World Cup so I'm hoping for something like this. I hope Ilorri gets a chance to show what he can do, he looked very impressive for Granada last year and he was outstanding against Barcelona.                     

Jones

Can           Allen

Aspas

swap suso for borini and aspas for lame-bert  :laugh:  and id say thats pretty much it.
likewise i cant wait to see what can is like
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:43 pm

red till i die!! » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:46 am wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:47 pm wrote:We've still got a lot of players on holiday after the World Cup so I'm hoping for something like this. I hope Ilorri gets a chance to show what he can do, he looked very impressive for Granada last year and he was outstanding against Barcelona.                     

Jones

Can           Allen

Aspas

swap suso for borini and aspas for lame-bert  :laugh:  and id say thats pretty much it.
likewise i cant wait to see what can is like

Because Lambert was part of the England WC squad I just assumed he was still on holiday mate.
If he's available I'd definitely start with him but I'm sure I read somewhere that the WC players don't return until just before the pre season tour of the states.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:13 pm

you could be right yakka, thought seen as he didnt feature much in the WC he would link up early but the pre-season tour of the states makes sense.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:27 pm

Still early days and despite the departure of Suarez' I'm still hoping we'll see more days like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-T007CYKmY

At least watching that has cheered me up a bit   :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Kopite-Jud » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:37 pm

woof woof ! » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:27 pm wrote:Still early days and despite the departure of Suarez' I'm still hoping we'll see more days like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-T007CY ... e=youtu.be

At least watching that has cheeredd me up a bit   :D

Maybe Alexis should have watched that before going to Arsenal.
Kopite-Jud

Postby Red Focus » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:36 am

Where do you guys think Liverpool would have finished last season if we didn't have Suarez in the side? I'd say without his presence, we could have finished 5th or 6th because he was the scorer and assist in about 50% of our goals. Now that he's gone, Brendan with an extra 75M to spend would have to strengthen the team as a whole to make up for the huge loss. So we are rebuilding again because we have lost our star man. It would be difficult for us to move one place higher next season, it would be a marvelous achievement if we can finish 2nd again unless we sign a few marquee signing like Benzema, otherwise I won't be setting my sights too high. I hope Brendan is not to sign more youngsters with 'potential' or players he had worked with in the past which seems to be his trend.
Red Focus
LFC Member

Postby leeroy74 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:02 pm

but how many of his games were match winning goals? I mean if we stick 5 past Norwich and Suarez got 3 we'd of still won by 2-0 so still got the 3 points?
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby laza » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:58 pm

leeroy74 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:02 pm wrote:but how many of his games were match winning goals? I mean if we stick 5 past Norwich and Suarez got 3 we'd of still won by 2-0 so still got the 3 points?

Brilliant   :laugh:
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:37 pm

simple maths my friend ;)
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby Red Focus » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:34 am

The centre backs at our disposal are Toure, Skertel, Agger, Sakho and Illori. Now these guys are decent centre backs all except Illori are international players. I may be the only voice in the wilderness on this but, signing Lovren would be fantastic, but the problem with our leaky defence which cost us the title last term was not really due to inept centre backs but due to poor defending tactics. Brendan needs to revamp and reinvent his defence tactics for next campaign because if he doesn't, even if we have a Kompany or s Lovren, it won't make a blind bit of difference.

Brendan's tactics is based on attack, attack, attack and even if our porous defence lets in school boy mistakes goals, never mind, we outscore them to win the game. This is not Roy of Rovers football but PL football. You may be exciting to watch, but this is playing Russian Roulette and won't win you any titles. So bucking up the defence tactics and strategy is more important than looking out for any world class centre backs out there to sign.
Red Focus
LFC Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:24 am

Johnson needs launching asap
:glare:
Thommo's perm

Postby JC_81 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:28 pm

Red Focus » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:34 am wrote:The centre backs at our disposal are Toure, Skertel, Agger, Sakho and Illori. Now these guys are decent centre backs all except Illori are international players. I may be the only voice in the wilderness on this but, signing Lovren would be fantastic, but the problem with our leaky defence which cost us the title last term was not really due to inept centre backs but due to poor defending tactics. Brendan needs to revamp and reinvent his defence tactics for next campaign because if he doesn't, even if we have a Kompany or s Lovren, it won't make a blind bit of difference.

Brendan's tactics is based on attack, attack, attack and even if our porous defence lets in school boy mistakes goals, never mind, we outscore them to win the game. This is not Roy of Rovers football but PL football. You may be exciting to watch, but this is playing Russian Roulette and won't win you any titles. So bucking up the defence tactics and strategy is more important than looking out for any world class centre backs out there to sign.

Spot on.  You could have put Kompany in our team instead of Skrtel last season and I'm not sure it'd have made a significant difference with the tactics we played.

I do think there is room for improvement in terms of the quality of our centre backs.  Skrtel is too rash and occasionally goes to sleep even though he's much improved compared to a few seasons ago.  Agger is injury prone, while Toure is also prone to errors.  Sakho, given he was a Rodgers signing for big money, is likely to be a mainstay as left sided CB for several years, but I do believe we could do with a quality partner for him.  Is Lovren the answer?  Not sure.  I can't shake the memory of how bad he was when we stuffed Southampton at St Marys, even though it's only one game.

I think the biggest difference in terms of goals shipped would be changing what happens in front of the defence.  Whether that is another player sitting alongside Gerrard, rather than Gerrard holding on his own (which he struggles with, especially away from home), or replacing Gerrard with someone more naturally defensive and with the ability to cover more ground, but this obviously would come at a cost in terms of reducing our attacking threat.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion