Next Season - Early Days but ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:26 pm

Was having a chat with Stu in the Pepe Reina thread and we kinda drifted off topic and found ourselves discussing Next Season and without knowing who we might sign what area's we'd strengthen and what players we'd keep .

Thought it was worth it's own thread.

Stu reckons.

On Mignolet its obvious he's better than Jones.

The point is though if you have a quality keeper they usually play most if not all games, they won't suffer with burn out so I'm not a fan of clogging up the wage bill in such a manor.

Also with regards to Skrtel, he's on more money again than Toure and I don't believe there is a massive difference in ability. Skertel is again the slightly better player, but the point being for me is we'd have Agger, Sahko and another ahead of him so I do believe as long as your fourth choice players are "capable" then we have enough cover.

To be honest, I'd be more than happy for Wisdom/Kelly (fitness depending) to be fourth choice.

My squad for next year would look something like this.... (first choice at top)

GK - New player
GK - Jones

RB - New player
RB - Flannagan

LB - Enrique
LB - Robinson (Flannagan/Kelly)

CB - New player
CB - Sahko
CB - Agger
CB - Wisdom

CM - New player
CM - Henderson, Allen, Gerrard

AM - Coutinho

FW - Suarez
FW - New player
FW - Sterling
FW - Sturridge

Then depending on the system Coutinho could play in a front 3 or midfield 3 Sturridge could partner Suarez etc etc.

Ideally I'd like to see Begovic, Lovren, Schneiderlin and an Arjen Robben type (or someone of that class) come in to fill the gaps. Big ask obviously but thats got to be the aim.
Stu the Red
LFC Super Member

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:44 pm

Some interesting choices Stu.

"Regulars" apparently out of your squad (?) Mignolet, Johnson , Skrtel, Toure and Lucas, whilst the likes of Wisdom and Robinson are given a place.

Still no room for Illori, Alberto or Ibe ?

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:21 pm

I'd be happy with

GK new signing (Bergovic ? )/Reina
GK 2 Mignolet

LB new signing (Ashley Cole ?)
LB2 Enrique/Flanagan

RB Johnson
RB2 Flanagan

CBR New signing
CBR2 Skrtel

CBL Sakho
CBL2 Agger

CM Gerrard
CM Henderson
CM Allen
CM Alberto
CM Coutinho
Cm new player (Lallana ?)

FWD's
Suarez
Sturridge
Sterling
new signing.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:45 pm

woof woof ! » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:44 pm wrote:Some interesting choices Stu.

"Regulars" apparently out of your squad (?) Mignolet, Johnson , Skrtel, Toure and Lucas, whilst the likes of Wisdom and Robinson are given a place.

Still no room for Illori, Alberto or Ibe ?

I just think Skrtel's had his time (5 years of cr*p). Mignolet isn't upto it as are Johnson and Lucas and I think they should be replaced. Robinson is not going to be any worse than Cissokho so I can't see him weakening the squad in that area and the likes or Ibe, Alberto and Illori would be kept around just for the "extra numbers" so to speak, but wouldn't really be in first team plans unless they forced their way in like Sterling and Flannagan have this season. :)
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:55 pm

Good timing for this thread, since we're having a two weeks break.

I'm still not too sure on who should we get rid of and who should we sign in the summer, but one thing is for sure, we'll need a bigger squad so there should be more players coming in than going out. Also, keep in mind that we'll probably have a limited budget, so we can't go around needlessly selling players and signing replacements on positions where we don't need immediate strengthening. With that said, I'd keep Mign who IMO deserves at least one more season and I'd keep players such as Lucas and Toure who would make good squad players. I'm undecided on Skrtel yet, while I'd sell Johnson. This is how my squad would look, more or less:

GK: Mignolet
GK: Jones

RB: New Player
RB: Wisdom (could play CB)
RB: Kelly (could play CB)
RB: McLaughlin

CB: New Player
CB: Sakho
CB: Agger
CB: Ilori
CB: Toure

LB: Enrique
LB: Flanagan (could play RB)
LB: Robinson

CM: New Player (a Xabi Alonso type)
CM: Gerrard
CM: Henderson (could play AM)
CM: Allen
CM: Lucas

AM: Coutinho (could play winger)
AM: Alberto (could play winger)
AM: Suso (Could play winger)

RW: Suarez (could play CF)
RW: Sterling

LW: New Player
LW: Ibe
LW: Texeira

CF: Sturridge
CF: New Player

- We're a bit thin at AM in quality but Hendo could do a job there if needed, which might be often, which is why I wouldn't be selling any of our CM's (including Lucas).
- Our attacking 3 positions are thin in quantity, but most of our AM's could play as wingers so it shouldn't be a problem.
- On the other hand, we're stuffed at defense, but most of the squad players are youngsters, some of which might not see the end of next season, so our wage bill shouldn't suffer too much.

I'd get rid of: Johnson, Coates, Assaidi, Borini and Aspas
*As for Skrtel, I'd only sell him if a good offer arrives, which would cover for the new defender and maybe make a bit of profit.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:17 pm

I read on TIA we're possibly selling Suso. He's one we deffo should keep
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby JC_81 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:24 pm

A few things I'd definitely do...

1)  Get rid of high earners who aren't value for money.  For me it's time to ship out Johnson - second season in a row he's been poor and I think his career is on the down, we cant justify giving him 100k per week.  I wouldn't actively try and sell Lucas, Agger or Skrtel but I'd consider good offers for any of them. I wouldn't get rid of all three in the one window either as they've all been around the club for a while and are good experienced pros, which you need in a squad.

2) Get rid of flops.  Aspas has done nothing.  I 'd try and sell and accept a loss of a few million.  If a buyer cant be found then try and loan him to a PL club.  Alberto can't get a game even with a thin squad so he probably gets loaned, again to an English club to get him used to the style.

3) One more season to prove themselves - Mignolet for me.  Has had a mixed season.  Undoubtedly won us points early season but has been costing goals more recently.  I'd bring in a decent keeper to challenge him - someone mid 30s with good experience and pedigree who's happy to be on the bench but still good enough to drive on Mig.  Also Borini who had an injury hit season with us but now looks to be doing well with a run of games at Sunderland, might have a role as an impact sub with us.

4)  Loanees - Llori, Suso and Ibe have been impressing on loan and could play a bigger part next season.  With possible CL games meaning 2 games a week more often next season then the likes of Wisdom and Robinson might get games too.

5)  Focus should be on marquee signings.  The squad is big enough if we hang on to the bulk of what we have and bring back the loanees.  Full back, central defence and central midfield should be priorities.  I don't think Rodgers will be able to resist bringing in another attacking talent either though!
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:20 pm

I think you summed it up pretty well there JC.

I don't get the impression we have all this money available to us because of FFP, so I'd definitely sell the likes of Aspas and Asaidi, and I'd sell Johnson to be honest. Always been a fan of him, but I just don't see it from him anymore. There's possibly so more (the sale of Reina) that we can get some cash for, and the money has to be sent on higher-level players at this point. No more Alberto's or Llorie's right now. Yes I know they could still do a job, but we need to spend wisely and get some top-class players for the money we have.

-Possibly new GK/Mignolet
-Mignolet/Jones

-New RB
-Flanno

-New CB
-Sakho
-Agger
-Skrtel

-New LB/Enrique (seriously, what's going on with this guy?)
-Enrique/Robinson

-New CM
-Gerrard
-Hendo
-Allen
-Lucas

AM
-Coutinho
-Alberto

Forwards
-Suarez
-Sturridge
-New Forward
-Sterling

The rest of the squad would be filled with the likes of Llori and Texeira, Kelly, Wisdom, etc.

As of now I'm ok with our attack. If we don't get another attacking payer, I'm fine by that. Our number 1 priority for me is another CB to pair up with Sakho. I would be happy with 1 dominate full back, and if we were to spend £30 million on those two players, I'd probably be pretty happy about that summer. Throw in a CM who's better at controlling games and we'll have a really strong side. If we could get a Begovic, or a Vorm (still not sure why we never went after him, good shot stopper and great with the ball at his feet) or even Reina returning and I think we'd have our strongest team in quite a while.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:27 pm

If we qualify for the CL we'll need a bigger squad, we've been stretched at times this year by injuries and suspensions and we aren't even in Europe or had a cup run of any note.
Saying that not playing much football has been a godsend this season in terms of helping us get top 4 but just focusing on the league isn't an option going forward, we want to compete on all fronts.
It's no use padding the squad out with bench fodder though, if Rodgers wants to give Gerrard, Suarez or Sturridge a night off you need players good enough to come in and do a job, and not just in the early rounds of the league cup either but in a CL game if need be.
Tough to say who we should bring in though, the likes of Suso, Ibe, Texiera, Ilori, McLaughlin etc look good enough to be getting some game time next season
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby parchpea » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:10 pm

All I ask is that Rodgers doesn't keep people on reputation and Johnson would be a classic example, and in the
same breath don't recruit purely on reputation or fashion, buy what you need and who suits the club.

I think Rodgers will do that, but if we do get in the champs league its a test for him with more agents knocking
on the door tempting him with a different type of player, so challenges on and off the park.

Surely we will get top 4 now? The qualifier that worries me.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby ethanr » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:37 pm

parchpea » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:10 pm wrote:All I ask is that Rodgers doesn't keep people on reputation and Johnson would be a classic example, and in the
same breath don't recruit purely on reputation or fashion, buy what you need and who suits the club.

I think Rodgers will do that, but if we do get in the champs league its a test for him with more agents knocking
on the door tempting him with a different type of player, so challenges on and off the park.

Getting 3rd could really be a blessing in disguise. I've always kinda liked having early games in the CL to get us a bit more gelled for our PL games, but it would be a disaster if we managed to not qualify for the CL because of a playoff, and we always seem to struggle against those sides we should have no problem putting to the sword.

If we beat or draw united next weekend, that should pretty much end their hopes of fourth. From then on we'll just have to worry about spurs and everton, but we have been slowly separating ourselves from them.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:25 am

ethanr » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:37 pm wrote:
parchpea » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:10 pm wrote:All I ask is that Rodgers doesn't keep people on reputation and Johnson would be a classic example, and in the

Getting 3rd could really be a blessing in disguise. I've always kinda liked having early games in the CL to get us a bit more gelled for our PL games, but it would be a disaster if we managed to not qualify for the CL because of a playoff, and we always seem to struggle against those sides we should have no problem putting to the sword.

If we beat or draw united next weekend, that should pretty much end their hopes of fourth. From then on we'll just have to worry about spurs and everton, but we have been slowly separating ourselves from them.

Our UEFA coefficient or whatever it's called has gone to f##k too, so in other words we wouldn't be protected by the seeding system, if we finish 4th there's a reasonable chance that we'd be drawn against a half decent team.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:43 am

Re Suso, I've been watching him a lot on his loan and I was really impressed with him at first. He was assisting and hockey assisting in almost every game. He was basically involved in Almeria's every goal. But as time passed, I started noticing other things, such as his low work rate off the ball, his low speed, low stamina etc. Most of his performances seemed lethargic. He doesn't want to get physical and doesn't want to chase players. It seems that all he does is finding a player with a pass and no more than that.

Now don't misunderstand me, I'm willing to give the kid a chance with us because I think he deserves it, but I could understand if Rodgers doesn't want him to come back.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:09 am

damjan193 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:43 am wrote:Re Suso, I've been watching him a lot on his loan and I was really impressed with him at first. He was assisting and hockey assisting in almost every game. He was basically involved in Almeria's every goal. But as time passed, I started noticing other things, such as his low work rate off the ball, his low speed, low stamina etc. Most of his performances seemed lethargic. He doesn't want to get physical and doesn't want to chase players. It seems that all he does is finding a player with a pass and no more than that.

Now don't misunderstand me, I'm willing to give the kid a chance with us because I think he deserves it, but I could understand if Rodgers doesn't want him to come back.

As this is his first full season in the top flight maybe he's just running out of steam a bit? He wouldn't be the first young player to find the attritional nature of playing against fit, strong experienced players week in week out a bit of a slog. Playing for a team that spends most of the time on the back foot defending for their lives is not really his forte either. Sterling's early career was a bit bumpy to say the least and look at him now.
Suso was probably the most talented of all the lads coming through our ranks, I'd be very wary of writing him off too soon.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:09 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:09 am wrote:
damjan193 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:43 am wrote:Re Suso, I've been watching him a lot on his loan and I was really impressed with him at first. He was assisting and hockey assisting in almost every game. He was basically involved in Almeria's every goal. But as time passed, I started noticing other things, such as his low work rate off the ball, his low speed, low stamina etc. Most of his performances seemed lethargic. He doesn't want to get physical and doesn't want to chase players. It seems that all he does is finding a player with a pass and no more than that.

As this is his first full season in the top flight maybe he's just running out of steam a bit? He wouldn't be the first young player to find the attritional nature of playing against fit, strong experienced players week in week out a bit of a slog. Playing for a team that spends most of the time on the back foot defending for their lives is not really his forte either. Sterling's early career was a bit bumpy to say the least and look at him now.
Suso was probably the most talented of all the lads coming through our ranks, I'd be very wary of writing him off too soon.

Yeah, I guess you're right.

Like I said, I'd give him a season, I think he deserves it.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion