Moving forward - Now that the race for 4th is over

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby friendlyguy33 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:09 pm

Penguins wrote:
KennyisGod....still wrote:we keep on about Carroll and the 35million.... when we HAD to release Torres, Carroll was all that was instantly available. The toon fleeced us, of that theres absolutely no doubt, but thats business. I read somewhere someone sayin we didnt need a striker at the time to replace Nando - well how would that have looked a coupla months into the ownership of FSG? "Selling club!!" would have been the headlines, "New owners, same old ways" etc....
We were bundled into a corner by Torres, held to ransom by Newcastle. If we hadnt bought anyone to replace him we certainly wouldnt have got 50mill in June. Now, we are where we are, which is a trophy down the line, one in the possible near future. Yes, maybe too far off 4th to be realistic but the way this seasons goin anyone around where we are now could still be in with a shout of 4th. Our fixtures aint the toughest run in, and tbh any1 with a little luck yesterday would have wiped the floor with Arsenal. A missed pen, a rushed rebound, 2 against the post and that fluffed volley from Downing just to list a few chances against what was really a poor (1st half specially) Arsenal team. Spurs aint got the easiest game today, Chelsea are droppin points at an alarmin rate. The toon could well get a harder game than they bargained for against Sunderland today. It aint over.

And as yet the fat lady aint out the dressin room, never mind warmin up.

Why?
We could have waited until the summer instead when there were more options. There was no need to rush into a bad deal like that. Caroll was injured for 3 months and did almost not play anything that season anyway.We had just bought Suarez also and the club/owners/manager could easily had gone out and said that we will invest heavily in the summer to appease the fans.

I'm guessing that from a PR perspective it looked better to spend that money having let Torres leave for £50 million. Also Suarez hadn't played in England so they wanted someone with premiership experience. Also they could have feared that Spurs would have snatched him last summer if they didn't move quickly.
friendlyguy33

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:41 pm

just on ssn now that avb is gone
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:52 pm

red till i die!! wrote:just on ssn now that avb is gone

Rafa's taking the job
Last edited by 7_Kewell on Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby friendlyguy33 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:02 pm

God forbid AVB doesn't replace KK in the summer. I just don't think he's cut out for the premiership not at the moment anyway.
friendlyguy33

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:10 pm

7_Kewell wrote:

Rafa's taking the job

they have said that di matteo is in the hotseat till the end of the season.
id be surprised if rafa took that job now and i really dont think he would take that insolence from those players.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:14 pm

red till i die!! wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:

Rafa's taking the job

they have said that di matteo is in the hotseat till the end of the season.
id be surprised if rafa took that job now and i really dont think he would take that insolence from those players.

There's also the small fact that Lampard and his cronies don't like him, but he's now odds on to be the next chelsea boss
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:16 pm

friendlyguy33 wrote:God forbid AVB doesn't replace KK in the summer. I just don't think he's cut out for the premiership not at the moment anyway.

I wouldn't get too carried away, he's too much of a risk, it wont happen
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby redtrader74 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:33 pm

KennyisGod....still wrote:we keep on about Carroll and the 35million.... when we HAD to release Torres, Carroll was all that was instantly available. The toon fleeced us, of that theres absolutely no doubt, but thats business. I read somewhere someone sayin we didnt need a striker at the time to replace Nando - well how would that have looked a coupla months into the ownership of FSG? "Selling club!!" would have been the headlines, "New owners, same old ways" etc....
We were bundled into a corner by Torres, held to ransom by Newcastle. If we hadnt bought anyone to replace him we certainly wouldnt have got 50mill in June. Now, we are where we are, which is a trophy down the line, one in the possible near future. Yes, maybe too far off 4th to be realistic but the way this seasons goin anyone around where we are now could still be in with a shout of 4th. Our fixtures aint the toughest run in, and tbh any1 with a little luck yesterday would have wiped the floor with Arsenal. A missed pen, a rushed rebound, 2 against the post and that fluffed volley from Downing just to list a few chances against what was really a poor (1st half specially) Arsenal team. Spurs aint got the easiest game today, Chelsea are droppin points at an alarmin rate. The toon could well get a harder game than they bargained for against Sunderland today. It aint over.

I and most level headed Liverpool fans would have accepted,
" Fernando Torres has insisted on a move, Liverpool football club are a lot bigger than any one player and we will move on. We are accepting a British record fee of £50m for Torres which represents a huge profit. Unfortunatly the timing of his request means that we cannot acquire the replacement we would like, and we would like to assure the supporters that we will use these and other funds in the Summer to strengthen our squad. We would also like to welcome Luis Suarez to LFC"
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby mart » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:44 pm

Thommo's perm wrote:Rafa bought Aquilani who was injured. Purple nose bought an injured Van Nistelroy
So what?
Its done and hes here.

The big difference is that some claim that we were forced to buy Carroll at any price, and that simply isnt true. Buying aquaman might have been a mistake, but then we can surely say the same about Carroll. Not that the purchase of Aquaman is at all relevant.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby parchpea » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:05 pm

AVB needs a club where there is no pressure on the manager to finish top 4 so Anfield would be a good destination for him at this point

:glare:
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Penguins » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:30 pm

Thommo's perm wrote:
Penguins wrote:

Why?
We could have waited until the summer instead when there were more options. There was no need to rush into a bad deal like that. Caroll was injured for 3 months and did almost not play anything that season anyway.We had just bought Suarez also and the club/owners/manager could easily had gone out and said that we will invest heavily in the summer to appease the fans.

Rafa bought Aquilani who was injured. Purple nose bought an injured Van Nistelroy
So what?
Its done and hes here.

I agree. But who wasn't totally slaughtered by the fans for Aquilani?
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby Kerry07 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:00 pm

maguskwt wrote:I said that we needed to get a striker during the Jan window to climb up the table. When Kenny and commoli announced that we aren't getting anyone for the first team I was disappointed. This team is a very average side that can play and defend but is toothless in attack. But fair enough to the owners they have splashed the cash on the likes of Henderson, downing, Adam and Enrique in the summer so they probably don't want to spend in Jan. Now our focus should be on winning the FA cup and try to finish 5th. Buy a striker, a winger and a DM in the summer...

To be fair to Kenny, this is his first season and he deserves to fulfill his contract... But he really made an error of judgement on Carroll... If we didn't spend 35 million on him we will probably see the owners spending again on another striker...

what is his contract?

If its three years then no chance. He will get next season and if we are no nearer top 4 then he will be gone.

Two and a half years, over 100m spent (to date), is more than enough. Some dont get that (AVB).
"Its not just any other club" C.Tyldsley
"Liverpool are a special institution" X.Alonso
"Anfield es un templo de fútbol" AS
"The English club prove miracles do exist" D.Maradona
"Theres not one club in the world so united with its fans. Liverpool fans sent shivers down my spine" J.Cruyff
Kerry07

Postby kartiek » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:08 pm

Well, it seems like Mourinho was found "house hunting" in London recently.

Considering it's been made pretty clear that he doesn't want to stay with Madrid next season, it's highly likely he's going to be at Tottenham or Chelsea next season.
kartiek

Postby kartiek » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:16 pm

Well, the league position, accepting reality is not going to be top 4 at the end of the season. Since the EL is in the bag, this is as good as any we're going to get to get some youngsters a feel for the premier league.

I'd like to see -

Reina and Standard defense

Spearing and Henderson

Gerrard, Adorjan/Suso, Sterling

Suarez

Of course, not all of them together, but one of them youngsters at a time coming on from the bench.

I think that if we truly see something in Henderson, it definitely has to be in a more central position.
Last edited by kartiek on Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kartiek

Postby Wee_Didit » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:20 pm

Yeah, we so much needed to win that game against the gooners to keep us in the running for that much craved C/L spot.

Mathematically it's not done and dusted yet, BUT somehow I can't see us overtaking the 'Bottlers", cause we've been bottling it ourselves by not being clinical enough in front of goal.

It now looks more likely that we'll be doing our thing in Europe in the E/L.

Kenny needs more time, how much or how long, I don't know, but he needs more time.

Tbh, I know that, not every new signing will hit the ground running, like a Suarez, Silva or Aguero, but most of Kenny's signings has not delivered as expected, and that's the worrying factor.
Last edited by Wee_Didit on Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Son, you'll do well here as long as you remember two things. Don't over-eat and don't lose your accent.' - to Ian St John when he signed for Liverpool.
Wee_Didit

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion