Morientas still on - Well rafa prefers spanish...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ssss » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:39 am

prefer anelka though, we need someone who can adapt rightaway to the EPL and also doesnt morientes has a history of being injured frequently?

The last thing we need is for us to sign moro and he gets injured on his debut...

I would like to think we've learnt our lesson in owen..so, sign em both...hehe..:D
ssss

Postby mistyred » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:50 am

Any of them will do at the moment if it helps the cause. :)
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:56 am

Anelka has had some injury problems this season.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:12 am

A.B. wrote:Anelka has had some injury problems this season.

has he missed any games?
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:14 am

Yes he has.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby A.B. » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:15 am

He just returned this weekend I believe.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:17 am

A.B. wrote:He just returned this weekend I believe.

how long was he out? and for what?
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:24 am

Out for 4-5 games, don't know why he was out.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:33 am

A.B. wrote:Out for 4-5 games, don't know why he was out.

alright thx AB
do you think the injury would really affect is form depending on what it is?
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:35 am

If we are going to buy him then I hope gets back to his form because we certainly don't need an injured prone player.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:46 am

A.B. wrote:If we are going to buy him then I hope gets back to his form because we certainly don't need an injured prone player.

well yes that true
how long do you think it would take anelka to get adjusted to benitez and the red jersey
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:46 am

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Morientes would certainly be in demand when he becomes available, as there are plenty of big clubs who can afford him who aren't in Europe.

There are also a number of clubs who would sign him regardless. Last summer half of Europe wanted him.

Reported on the radio this morning...Real would want to have a 1st option on Stevie Gerrard in any deal involving Morientes...pretty cheeky demand I would say for sale of one of your reserve player. Morientes have turned down Liverpool before plus he is cup-tied, not sure if he's our best stop-gap signing. In addition, knowing how Rafa liked to keep any transfer interest as low key as possible, I wouldn't be surprised if the reported interest in Morintes is just to provide a diversion for other "targets" in La Liga.

Otherwise, I say go for Anelka. Not that he is any better than Morientes but if he could help us progress through the next rounds of CL, his fees would more than pay for itself. Although Baros is playing well for now, we do need more options and variety going forward, plus I would love to see Aimar in our Red shirt as he is not playing regularly for Valencia.
Last edited by Santa on Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:59 am

Santa wrote:
John Barnes' Granny wrote:Morientes would certainly be in demand when he becomes available, as there are plenty of big clubs who can afford him who aren't in Europe.

There are also a number of clubs who would sign him regardless. Last summer half of Europe wanted him.

Reported on the radio this morning...Real would want to have a 1st option in Stevie Gerrard on any deal involving Morientes...pretty cheeky demand I would say for sale of one of your reserve player. Morientes have turned down Liverpool before plus he is cup-tied, not sure if he's our best stop-gap signing. In addition, knowing how Rafa liked to keep any transfer interest as low key as possible, I won't be surprised if the reported interest on Morintes is just to provide a diversion for other "targets" in La Liga.

Otherwise, I say go for Anelka. Not that he is any better than Morientes but if he could help us progress through the next rounds of CL, his fees would more than pay for itself. Although Baros is playing well for now, we do need more options and variety going forward, plus I would love to see Aimar in our Red shirt as he is not playing regularly for Valencia.

There maybe some truth in that santa about Benitez, he is a very shrewd man and doesnt like everyone knowing whats going on behind closed doors, he didnt like the fact of Gerrard talkin to the media a few weeks ago. And thankfully since then its been all quiet on the western front.
8 million and first option on Gerrard they have a bloody cheek, 2 reserve players for our best players, they already have one of our best players, who rafa kept out the CL so he could go to Real and not be cuptied :angry:.
Its in the Guardian about first refusal on Gerrard.

Dominic Fifield
Tuesday December 21, 2004
The Guardian

Liverpool are to resist Real Madrid's attempts to include a first option on Steven Gerrard in the deal which is ultimately expected to see Fernando Morientes swap Spain for Merseyside.
Negotiations between the two clubs over the transfer of the Spanish international striker are ongoing, with Liverpool's opening bid of £3.5m having been swiftly rejected. Real now intend to push for a deal which would see Morientes as a makeweight to secure a first option on Gerrard should the midfielder leave Anfield, though the Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry will resist when talks resume today.

The club's board will not countenance Gerrard's future being included at any stage of the deal involving Morientes, even if their refusal to consider that possibility effectively ups the price they have to pay for the 28-year-old and prolongs negotiations. Instead they remain confident that a compromise can still be reached with Real before the opening of the transfer window next month.

Speculation over Gerrard's future has been rife in recent weeks after the England midfielder admitted in the build-up to Liverpool's critical Champions League group game with Olympiakos that he would have to consider his future if the club did not show signs of winning silverware in the near future. His form has been outstanding when fit this season, with Chelsea expected to attempt to prise him away next summer having failed in a similar attempt after Euro 2004.

Signing Morientes would go some way towards persuading Gerrard that his future still lies at Anfield. Liverpool faxed a formal bid for the striker, though Real are seeking around double the amount offered and dismissed the bid. However, Morientes has made no secret of his desire to move to Anfield having slipped down the pecking order at the Bernabéu this season, not least since the Spanish club recruited Michael Owen from Liverpool in August.
The £7m asking price upon which Real are currently insisting is out of the Premiership club's reach - particularly as the player will command wages in excess of £50,000 a week - though an improved bid of around £5m could yet secure Morientes' arrival without needing to involve Gerrard at all.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:19 am

I think it would be a good move for the club if we could get Morientes purely on the PR side as he is a world class striker who is known around europe and with players like Gerrard, Baros, Morientes, Anelka, etc and a manager of Rafa Benitez then I think it will be good for attracting big names in the future. :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:25 am

??? Dont forget Alonso Paul :;):
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion