Morientas still on - Well rafa prefers spanish...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The_Rock » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:06 pm

I though Anelka is a definite until i saw a whole list of sites reporting on morientas.

If you ask me, i would prefer anelka as he is eligible to play in league & CL (the league is over. But we can win the champions league if we play well). But morientas is better at holding up play and heading the ball. Important stats for a team looking to play 4-3-2-1 formation (not really 4-5-1)

Ah well, rafa's the boss. Will not question him.

Check out all the below info on morientas.

1) http://skysports.planetfootball.com/Article.asp?id=244459

Rafa upping Moro chase

Real Madrid striker Fernando Morientes is still high on Liverpool's wanted list for January.

Rafa Benitez is desperate to bring in new players during the winter transfer window, especially to bolster his depleted ranks of attackers.

The Reds' 1-1 draw with Portsmouth on Tuesday illustrated the need for more firepower after they missed a host of chances to kill off the game before being stung with a late leveller.

Injuries have not helped the Spanish coach, but it is still apparent that he needs more options, and Morientes continues to be on that list.

Manchester City marksman Nicolas Anelka has been linked with a possible return to Anfield, but Benitez is still keen on Morientes.

The Spain international is spending far too much time warming the Bernabeu bench for his liking, and he wants to leave the Spanish capital.

Florentino Perez knows that 'El Moro' is way down the pecking order, but is reluctant to allow him to leave on the cheap, or on loan.

Morientes spent the season on loan at Monaco last term and would welcome a return, but it now seems as though he would favour The Premiership.

Spanish media sources suggest that Morientes would like to link up with Benitez at Anfield, and that the only sticking point would be the price involved.

Benitez will be assessing his options with the winter transfer window fast approaching, but it seems Morientes is high on his wanted list.

2) http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2004-12/16/content_2344184.htm

Liverpool keen on Real Madrid's Morientes 

LONDON, Dec. 16 (Xinhuanet) -- Liverpool are reportedly closing inon a deal to sign Real Madrid striker Fernando Morientes.

The Reds are struggling for options up front after the August departure of Michael Owen and a horrific leg injury to 14 million pounds signing Djibril Cisse.

Milan Baros and youngster Neil Mellor have been carrying the load up front, but according to The Sun they could get assistance from Morientes soon - as early as next month's transfer window.

The tabloid says Real have admitted they will listen to offers for the Spanish international striker, who helped Monaco to the Champions League final last season during a higly-successful loan period.

Madrid want to raise funds to bankroll a summer bid for Inter Milan's Brazilian superstar Adriano, and selling Morientes would help that process.

They would want 8 million pounds for the 28-year-old hitman, and the fee could prove a stumbling block for Liverpool.

3) http://sports.yahoo.com/sow....pe=lgns

Liverpool step up hunt for elusive striker

LONDON (AFP) - Unwanted Real Madrid striker Fernando Morientes was set to move to injury-hit Liverpool in the January transfer window.

Real Madrid have admitted they will listen to offers and if the clubs can agree a fee he could be at Anfield next month.

The Spaniards want to raise funds for a summer raid on Inter Milan striker Adriano.

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez is woefully short up front because of injuries and Real know offloading him to England now, rather than in the summer, would bring in serious money.

And Morientes, who Liverpool thought they would be able to get in the summer when Michael Owen went to Madrid, is believed to be the top target, ahead of Manchester Citys Nicolas Anelka.

Morientes, 28, has been unsettled all season, playing a bit part role behind Raul, Ronaldo and Owen.

"If there is an attractive proposition, I could be keen to leave during the winter," he told The Sun newspaper.

Real would want 8 million pounds for the striker, which could prove a stumbling block for Liverpool.

French side Monaco are also keen to bring the player back after a highly successful loan period last season when he helped them to the Champions League final.

Morientes would be ineligible for the Champions League but Benitez admits he needs reinforcements to maintain a challenge in the Premiership with French star Djibril Cisse out until the end of the season with a broken leg.

Liverpool are 15 points off the pace and face the possibility of missing out altogether on a place in Europe next season.

And defender Jamie Carragher has called for Benitez to strengthen the squad.

"No matter whats happened so far this season, I think everyone knows were still short of players," he said.

"It is no secret that the manager is looking to strengthen in January so we will get stronger.

"Even though we beat Arsenal, I dont think any of us was thinking that meant we had a squad which is good enough to challenge for the title.

"Im not talking necessarily about replacing individuals, but more about getting numbers in. We need a bigger squad.

"We lost a lot of players during the summer who still havent been replaced, and while its not an excuse, thats been seen with the number of injuries weve had. There are still a lot of players out now."

But Benitez remained optimistic and said he would continue with Harry Kewell and Antonio Nunez on the flanks.

"They are working well with our strikers and this will only improve as time passes," he said.

But he agreed they were missing a finisher of the calibre of Morientes and Anelka.

"What we are doing is creating a lot of opportunities. However we need to turn those chances into goals," he added.

4) http://liverpool.rivals.net/default....8368055

Benitez Targets Morientes

By Carl Hendrick
Date: 16/12/2004

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez looks likely to launch a bid for Real Madrid Striker Fernando Morientes. The Spanish giants are willingly to let him go if a price can be agreed during the January transfer window.

The 28 year old striker, who had a hugely successful on-loan spell at Monaco last year has slipped down the pecking order and wants first team football again.

"If there is an attractive propostition it could be I would be keen to leave," said Morientes.

The comments look set to pave the way for a Liverpool bid this January. Morientes added "Unfortunately, I'm not in control of the situation. I'm under contract to Real and they will make any decisions."

The striker is valued at 8 million but Benitez knows he must bring that evaluation down if he is to get his man. A key factor in that is that the striker is cup tied and would not feature in the Champions league for Liverpool this season.

It is believed that Real Madrid have sanctioned the sale in order to make a summer bid for Inter Milan striker Adriano.

A second option for Benitez would be Manchester City moodster Nicholas Anelka who had a successful 6 month loan spell at Anfield, and has notable support at the club including captain Steven Gerrard. His recent grumblings suggest he has had enough at City and wants Champions League Football. He would likely be evaluated at no less than 6 million as City still owe money to Paris St. German for the French hitman.

Whatever option Benitez goes for, its clear that he needs to bring in a proven goalscorer who will settle quickly. Liverpool are six points off fourth place and 15 from the top this week. If the Reds acquire a frontman who can convert half of the chances that Liverpool's dominance of recent games has created, then they may be back in business sooner rather than later.

5) http://www.liverpool-mad.co.uk/news....=193553

Rumour Mill: £15m bill for Morientes?

Liverpool are being linked with a move for Fernando Morientes in today's papers.

The Real Madrid striker has been told he can leave in January, but Liverpool will need to stump up the cash if they want their man.

Rafael Benitez initially wanted Morientes as part of the deal that took Michael Owen to the Bernabeu, but had to settle for Antonio Nunez.

Madrid would want £8m for their player, but with a salary in the region of £40,000 the total cost for a three-year deal would be in the region of £15m.
Last edited by The_Rock on Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:31 pm

Good research Rock !!
Morientes is still Hot, I wouldn't be over suprised if we didn't land both Anelka and Morientes.
I also liked the page from xinhunet and the article on 'Facelift for Sharon Stone', should pass that one on to Tommy Smith !! :D  :D
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby L-type » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:45 am

The_Rock wrote:(the league is over. But we can win the champions league if we play well).

good post, but to think that they can win the Champions League is rubbish Not to be a nay sayer by any means. I was listenin to the Olympiakos game and was one of 2 people that actually posted positive comments.  But to even think that we can compete with the likes of Juventus, AC Milan is crazy.  Though i must admit Juve is looking very shakey on defence so as long we sort out our keeper soap opera everything could be in order and maybe a run to the quarters or semi's.. Come on Rafa prove my sorry ****** wrong !!!
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:48 am

Benitez plays down Morientes talk
17/12/2004
20:20   Reply 

koptalk

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has tried to distance himself from the speculation linking him with a possible move for Real Madrid bench warmer Fernando Morientes.

With the transfer window almost upon us clubs are actively trying to secure new deals and that of course includes Liverpool who have a number of players under consideration. Morientes is one of them and finances permitting, it should happen.

Rafa said: "Morientes is a good player, a good striker but there are a lot of them around the world. I am only interested in my squad and improving them as players.

"I don't want to talk about new possibilities because I prefer to work hard with those here."
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby L-type » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:48 am

and also i can't even imagine the possibility of picking up two strikers when we are desperately short in other areas of the squad.  I mean what happens when Cisse recovers? We will have 6 or 7 healthy strikers.  We would have to offload several players, more than likely Mellor who i want to see stay nearly as much as Gerrard.  Mellor give 110% every game and all he wants to do is perform for THIS club.  To him Liverpool is his home and i respect the man for that.  Lets pick up aniother defender + anelka or morientes.
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:24 am

I don't think those who have the idea of landing the two strikers really mean it. This is more to the difficulty of choosing one of the strikers assumed to have equal qualities. Since Cisse's been injured, Baros is currently the key striker. Given the current LFC finance situation, we only need one more 'world class' player. I principally agree with you, the (prospective) remaining funds should be particularly allocated for different prioritised sector.

Instead of bringing in both mentioned players, even there's been a strong indication that we would release Sinama to afford a new striker, which might be an indication that we don't actually have enough money to even buy one new decent striker, not to mention two.
Last edited by anfieldadorer on Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:19 am

I see mellor and pongolle as stand in's really, we need 3/4 quality PROVEN striker and we don't have time to wait around for players and pongolle and mellor won't want to wait in line.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:53 pm

Morrientes is very skillful but he is not one who will bang in 20 plus goals a season. At Madrid, he is the supporting striker to Raul in the past and has created numerous chances for his strike partners. If I am not mistaken, his best tally was 18 a couple of seasons ago wheras Raul and Rolando gets 20+ (Raul had not been in this form for some tiem now).

Morrientes would be a good bet to breach the deadlock in tight matches but I fear he may have to adjust to the hustle and bustle of the EPL where defenders get a lot of leeway for physical challenges as compared to the continent. This si where Cisse really struggled.

Anelka, as a comparison, is more of a finisher and he has done a tremendous job at Man City givent their poor team and is fully adapted to the Premiership. he can also play in the Premiership and has shown his quality when he scored in both legs of the Champions' League semi or quarter for Real Madrid against Bayern Munich. The only thing is his attitude and the very negative influence of his brothers who act as his agent or advisers and successfully unsettled him at Arsenal, Real Madrid and PSG.

I'd go for Anelka given that the EPL top 4 finish is a must and it is very unlikely that we will win the CL as we don't have enough quality at this moment. He did not score many when he was on loan to us because of the way Houllier's team played with no build up and straight punt for Owen to chase.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:23 pm

.. Morientes sounds good.. but we do need a prolific goal scorer.. not many about it wud appear... Anelka is too moody .. be surprisedif  Benitez brings him back... Saviola perhaps another name being touted.. but no-one really prolific..
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:10 pm

zarababe wrote:.. Morientes sounds good.. but we do need a prolific goal scorer.. not many about it wud appear... Anelka is too moody .. be surprisedif  Benitez brings him back... Saviola perhaps another name being touted.. but no-one really prolific..

robbie fowler.......
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:14 pm

... was prolific... now .. dunno...

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:17 pm

:D .....but seriously we should try to get shearer here ASAP. He can do the job. With the chances we create, he will be banging in 20 goals by may.

I think souness does not want him at newcastle as he sees him as a threat to his manager's job.
Last edited by The_Rock on Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:21 pm

So they want 8m for Morientes? The ******.
They got Owen for 8m, he was not cup-tied, 4 years younger and a much better player. They can take 8m up their ******, Anelka is a good 3 years younger and proven on English soil.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:28 pm

.. moody and not prolific...

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:45 pm

Looks like morientas defo would leave real in jan...but destination is still not that clear...

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/Article.asp?id=245068

Morientes waits for offer

Real Madrid are still waiting for an offer for unsettled striker Fernando Morientes, who is being courted by Liverpool.

Morientes is keen to leave El Santiago Bernabeu in the New Year as he remains a peripheral figure in the Spanish capital.

His plight has prompted Liverpool to pursue his signature when the transfer window reopens in January, particularly due to the shortage of fit forwards at Anfield.

Reds coach Rafa Benitez has informed Morientes' agent Gines Carvajal of his interest but has yet to firm that up with Real.

Monaco, where Morientes spent a productive loan spell last season, remain keen, while there are several other clubs on the hit-man's trail.

But while Carvajal acknowledged the interest in Morientes, he revealed that Real have yet to field any serious offers for the Spain international.

"It is certain that Liverpool are interested in the player but I don't believe there have been any concrete propositions for a transfer," said Carvajal.

"Morientes only wants to play and today this is impossible in Real Madrid.

"The player is a great striker and there are several European clubs interested in him.

"Real are the key to this story."

Morientes has declared he would be attracted by a switch to Anfield but, like his representative, is unaware of any bids.

The experienced hit-man said: "I am a player of Real and the club has the decision for my situation.

"The rumours in the press are strong but, at the moment, no one has told me anything and I have not had any direct propositions."

Real coach Mariano Garcia Remon concedes Morientes' frustration could signal his exit from the club in the New Year.

"He is thinking of leaving because he is getting very few minutes' football and he wants to play," admitted Garcia Remon.

"Morientes and the club have to look for the best solution."
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion