Rafa gets spanish coach award

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby adamnbarrett » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:34 pm

Rafa Benitez was today named as Coach of the Year for 2005 by la Comunidad de Madrid. 
The Liverpool manager was honoured at the annual Seven Stars of Sport Awards ceremony held in the Spanish capital this morning.

Speaking afterwards, Benitez told liverpoolfc.tv: "I am very proud to accept this award, but it's recognition for everyone at Liverpool including the players, backroom staff and the supporters, who have been magnificent since I came to the club. I'm very happy at Liverpool and enjoying life in England."

----------------

he deserves it aswell. He has transformed our club in less than 2 years and taken us to 3 cup finals. Times are just going to get better aswell. He will be the manager to win us the premiership.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby murphy0151 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:44 pm

Here here, I wouldnt swap Rafa for any other manager in the world.

Well done RAffa................
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby 2520years » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:44 pm

adamnbarrett wrote:he deserves it aswell. He has transformed our club in less than 2 years and taken us to 3 cup finals. Times are just going to get better aswell. He will be the manager to win us the premiership.

It's very difficult to argue with that Adam.

He's certainly got Maureen rattled!

Congratulations Rafa!
:buttrock
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby The Ace1983 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:39 pm

Top stuff Rafa, well done.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:44 pm

not a bad haul for one weekend. another cup final at the expense of chelsea, pfa player of the year and spanish coach of the year. if ever there was a tonic to keep the lads spirits up at this stage of a gruelling season this weekend has been it.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:45 pm

As deserved as Gerrard's award. More even.

He is by far the best manager in the World for my money, and rarely gets it wrong.

Best manager since Paisley at least.
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:48 pm

andy_g wrote:not a bad haul for one weekend. another cup final at the expense of chelsea, pfa player of the year and spanish coach of the year. if ever there was a tonic to keep the lads spirits up at this stage of a gruelling season this weekend has been it.

Don't forget the youth cup win on friday. Great weekend.  :)
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:32 pm

I don't want to start a new topic about this, as it is really a sub-topic of this one, but my question is this:

In light of the recent peer acknowledgement of both our Manager and Captain, plus our progression to the FA Cup final, our youth's cup win, and our immense progression over the last 20 months;

Will our club now get the media recognition it so obviously deserves?

Several factors make me believe the media will try to sweep our achievements under the carpet, much like our Champions League success last year.

Arsenal's Champions League campaign is the catalyst in my opinion. Somehow, their progression to the Semi finals has already eclipsed our against-the-odds success of 2005 in the eyes of the London-based media. This is neither fair, nor justifyable. It is quite simply a blatent show of bias towards a Southern club.

As I have already stated - the country's media is based in London, which is as far away from Liverpool culturally as Washington DC is to Bagdad.
There is no common ground. They are a city obsessed with themselves. They are far removed from the fabric of British society, and as a result, have no interest in the "outside world" as they see it, save for the world's stock-markets and fashion shows.

So. Am I foolish to expect these cretins to fully appreciate the vast achievements of our brilliantly simple club? Am I quite silly to expect that Arsenal's fantastic achievement, should they win the Champions League, should be greeted with the same nonchalance as ours a year ago?

I think I am.
What do you think?

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:01 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:I don't want to start a new topic about this, as it is really a sub-topic of this one, but my question is this:

In light of the recent peer acknowledgement of both our Manager and Captain, plus our progression to the FA Cup final, our youth's cup win, and our immense progression over the last 20 months;

Will our club now get the media recognition it so obviously deserves?

Several factors make me believe the media will try to sweep our achievements under the carpet, much like our Champions League success last year.

Arsenal's Champions League campaign is the catalyst in my opinion. Somehow, their progression to the Semi finals has already eclipsed our against-the-odds success of 2005 in the eyes of the London-based media. This is neither fair, nor justifyable. It is quite simply a blatent show of bias towards a Southern club.

As I have already stated - the country's media is based in London, which is as far away from Liverpool culturally as Washington DC is to Bagdad.
There is no common ground. They are a city obsessed with themselves. They are far removed from the fabric of British society, and as a result, have no interest in the "outside world" as they see it, save for the world's stock-markets and fashion shows.

So. Am I foolish to expect these cretins to fully appreciate the vast achievements of our brilliantly simple club? Am I quite silly to expect that Arsenal's fantastic achievement, should they win the Champions League, should be greeted with the same nonchalance as ours a year ago?

I think I am.
What do you think?

good points lando... and we all know it will be the west ham roadshow at the millenium. however should we beat them, then of course, as a club of liverpools stature, they'd be expected to beat such inferior opposition anyway..... ???

:angry:

you cant win.

as for the progression of liverpool, it must be noted that this is definately NOT another 'learning curve' nor is it merely yet another turned corner... we are neither 'in transition' or even a 'cup' side.

we are LIVERPOOL FC. and this pheonix is about to rise again majestically from the ashes of history into a re-worked revamped modern version, that i feel confident in saying could well be about to smack their gobs well and truly shut for at least 5-10 years!

adambarratt mentioned 3 cup finals in 2 years..credit enough there id say?  in real terms it is actually 5 if you include the super/world club.

just for the record thats:

uefa champions league final
f.a cup final
carling cup final
super cup final
world club trophy

qualification for 2 consecutive CL campaigns
manager of the month, what 3 times this season? (april surely)

and the respect and esteem enough throughout the world game to be honoured by another country for your efforts....all this in 2 seasons at the club.

now THATS A SPECIAL ONE  :bowdown

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby andy_g » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:04 pm

The Ace1983 wrote:
andy_g wrote:not a bad haul for one weekend. another cup final at the expense of chelsea, pfa player of the year and spanish coach of the year. if ever there was a tonic to keep the lads spirits up at this stage of a gruelling season this weekend has been it.

Don't forget the youth cup win on friday. Great weekend.  :)

goddam it - you're right! my bad!

:laugh:

has the club had a more successful weekend in recent history? (the CL win was mid week before anyone mentions it!!)

andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:07 pm

i wouldn't think too much about your impressions of biased media, lando and red. what i've been seeing this weekend are sports journalists creaming themselves about us and seriously questioning arsenal's ability after the game v tottenham. add to that the beginnings of a general falling out of love with old jose and i don't feel too hard done by.

andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:10 pm

andy_g wrote:i wouldn't think too much about your impressions of biased media, lando and red. what i've been seeing this weekend are sports journalists creaming themselves about us and seriously questioning arsenal's ability after the game v tottenham. add to that the beginnings of a general falling out of love with old jose and i don't feel too hard done by.

for all the tea in tesco's.. nothing, and i mean nothing was sweeter than the silence from andy grays gob last may 

heres to many more   :rasp

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby The Ace1983 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:17 pm

Football coverage on TV is gonna change some time next year. Some European court decided tht it was unfair that Sky got all the rights to the prem, so they'll be splitting it up into five packages, and no-one can own more than 4 of those. BBC, ITV, Five, Sky and (quit strangly) C4 all want some of the action, though it is likely that Sky will get at least 3 of the chunks. What it means is a lot more games will be shown on TV, the probable death of Prem+ and, most importantly, lots more LFC matches for us to watch.
So don't say the European court never does any good.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:24 pm

The Ace1983 wrote:Football coverage on TV is gonna change some time next year. Some European court decided tht it was unfair that Sky got all the rights to the prem, so they'll be splitting it up into five packages, and no-one can own more than 4 of those. BBC, ITV, Five, Sky and (quit strangly) C4 all want some of the action, though it is likely that Sky will get at least 3 of the chunks. What it means is a lot more games will be shown on TV, the probable death of Prem+ and, most importantly, lots more LFC matches for us to watch.
So don't say the European court never does any good.

no need for me to cut down the council protected tree that blocks me from having sky because it blocks the signal  :D
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:51 pm

It's quite a good idea really, but there are on going arguments as to how it will be divided. The least favoured is based on timing so that games at the beginning of the season would be, for instance, on the bbc, then te next section would be on sky and so on. Geographic divisions were called ridiculous because you'd end up with a group of Liverpool, Everton, and maybe Man Utd and man City as well. The only two systems which seem to suit everyone are the home game contracts (so that one package could include the rights to show the home games of four random clubs) and the completely random way so that games are drawn at random and assigned to each package.

Whatever happens, it will certainly be interesting, and should ensure that every club will get more time in the spotlight.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion