Rafa on his first six months at anfield - Still very tight about morientas :)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The_Rock » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:25 am

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N147387050109-0809.htm

NEWS STORY
RAFA ON HIS FIRST SIX MONTHS AT ANFIELD
Paul Rogers 09 January 2005 

Rafael Benitez speaks exclusively to Liverpoolfc.tv about his first six months at Anfield, his hopes for the future and potential signings during the January transfer window. 

Liverpoolfc.tv: You've been at Liverpool for six months, how would you assess that time at the club so far?

Rafael Benitez: I say many times we are very happy, the staff and family, and I think that we are working properly and in my opinion we have a good future in front of us.

Liverpoolfc.tv: Has anything surprised you about English football since arriving here?

Rafael Benitez: For me the most impressive thing is the supporters, our supporters especially. All the supporters in England are always with the team and it's very interesting.

Liverpoolfc.tv:Is the speed and tactics used different to what you see in Spain?

Rafael Benitez: In Spain it's different and the football is different. Here it is more physical and as I say the supporters, the stadiums are different. It's another style and I like it.

Liverpoolfc.tv:Has the level of the team improved in the way that you would have hoped as the season has gone on?

Rafael Benitez: Yes. I think that we are improving each day, each week because we have a new manager and new ideas. I think that we playing better, we are winning now at home and away and I think that we are improving the level.

Liverpoolfc.tv:Do you have a favourite memory or a game from your six months at Liverpool so far, is there one that sticks in the mind more than the other?

Rafael Benitez: I think all the supporters think about the Arsenal game and the Olympiacos game, those were the best.

Liverpoolfc.tv:But every win is a good day for you?

Rafael Benitez: Yes when you win it is always good but if you win playing well and with intensity at the end all the supporters enjoy it and me too.

Liverpoolfc.tv:Are you happy with the league position of fifth at the moment as we stand in the Premiership?

Rafael Benitez: I would like to be first but in this moment it's okay. We are more consistent now, we are winning more games and we are nearer the top four. For the second part of the league season I am very optimistic.

Liverpoolfc.tv:You've had a lot of injuries to contend with, how much have they disrupted your plans since you arrived here?

Rafael Benitez: Always it is difficult to work losing players each time, each week but we have a good squad. I like to see the reserve team also and we will try to use the young players if it is possible.

Liverpoolfc.tv:Xabi Alonso is the latest player to be lost to injury. How big a blow to you is having him out for the next three months?

Rafael Benitez: I think that he is a very important player for us and for him it's important we are with him and he can come back as soon as possible. We have lost the player for three months but he has a strong mentality and he will work hard after the operation.

Liverpoolfc.tv:Chris Kirkland is also out for three months, does that affect your plans for the transfer window?

Rafael Benitez: We need to see more options. We know it's important to have good goalkeepers and if possible have some more experience. We are working in the scout department now and we will see.

Liverpoolfc.tv:The transfer window opened and you brought in Mauricio Pellegrino, what can you tell us about him as a player?

Rafael Benitez: He's a winner. He has a very good mentality, during the game, after the game and before the game. He's a good player in terms of tactical work and I think with his experience it will be good for us because he can give a rest to Sami Hyypia and Carragher.

Liverpoolfc.tv:How confident are you that he will be able to fit into the Premiership quite quickly?

Rafael Benitez: If you know the player he is always thinking football and I am sure that he will start quickly talking about English football with Carragher, Gerrard and all the players with experience. I am sure that in a few weeks we will see the best because he is not playing now. He needs to improve his physical level but in terms of mentality it is the best.

Liverpoolfc.tv:Not a day goes by without a further twist in the newspapers about the Morientes transfer. Is there anything more you can add about a player you would like to see here?

Rafael Benitez: Now at this moment we cannot say anythingelse because it is a holiday in Spain and we need to wait two or three days to know more about the situation with Morientes.

Liverpoolfc.tv:You've talked about players coming into the club, is there any chance players could be leaving during this January transfer window?

Rafael Benitez: Normally if you sign new players you need some players to go. The question is we need to talk and see if it's better for them and for us to go.

Liverpoolfc.tv:What are your plans for the remainder of this season?

Rafael Benitez: We need to see the transfer market but we know that we can improve our level. We will think about the next game and then after that we can arrive.

Liverpoolfc.tv:Three wins out of four over Christmas must have given your players a lot of confidence. Do you think we will see that over the next forthcoming games?

Rafael Benitez: It's important for us to have this confidence and we can win these games in the FA Cup, Carling Cup and the Premiership. It will be better for the Champions League also and we are improving.

Liverpoolfc.tv:In six months time when we are both sitting down here again what would you have liked Liverpool to achieve this season?

Rafael Benitez: Now at this moment the idea is to be in the top four, if it's possible to win the Carling Cup as we are in the semi-final, and to do well in the Champions League and the FA Cup. I don't want to say we will do this and that, I look to the next game and then after we will see.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mynameisred » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:42 am

Is Rafa Jewish, he hardly gives anything away!!!!!!!!
The man who came to merseyside from Newcastle, the man who says he's part of Liverpool as much as the Liver building. When he was needed Alan Kennedy was there. And with now just 8 minutes to go it could be that Alan Kennedy has made a little history.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:53 pm

:D He's a "wise..man"
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:23 pm

He knows the second he says about the players he would want to buy, other clubs will be trying to snatch them or try to ****** up the deal i.e. Newcastle
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion