Do you think rafa prefers to win the cl ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red37 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:43 pm

you'd have to hope that rafa should be interested in the 'bread and butter' kinds of things....the league title. but the way money, idol and kudos is thrown about these days, you'd also be forgiven for expecting him to want his own share of the 'cherry-topped cake' as well.

possibly we have the resources for our gaffer to be very well  fed for quite some time. no doubt time and tv will dictate the fate of that.

but, how far a world away from the time when there was once a man at the helm of this great ship who would have gladly made certain that the people who dared to hope for crumbs of comfort, were instead given the very loaves from his own table, metaphorically. and who were the 'be all and end all'  the justification OF it all....

in answer to the question i do think we have a humble man in charge of those dreams - one who would cherish every victory as though it were the first.  the same cannot be said of 'us' the voracious supporters who, demand the raising of the bar.  time after time, trophy after trophy...because thats exactly what we have all grown used to, all weve ever known - the very best. secretly we all want the day when the title of champions of england is again ours...but globally and corporately, we all know where the rewards now lie...this club though was and should always be different to the rest.

standards are exceptionally high and rightly so, due to the hopes and dreams of its fans.... id like to see rafa prioritise ALL the prizes on offer,  i reckon he is the same. but never forget the measure of the people who keep him on his toes and work that extra mile to make this the best club in the country. because thats what it is. all we need is the record books to say the same.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:02 pm

red37 wrote:standards are exceptionally high and rightly so, due to the hopes and dreams of its fans.... id like to see rafa prioritise ALL the prizes on offer,  i reckon he is the same. but never forget the measure of the people who keep him on his toes and work that extra mile to make this the best club in the country. because thats what it is. all we need is the record books to say the same.

Understand the sentiment .

But a  question to all in here , IF you were LFC's manager ,during your time with the club what would  you class as your biggest achievement , (a) winning the premiership or (b) qualifying for the CL every season ?

Personal glory may tempt you to go for the "win the prem" option , but surely qualifying for the CL every season is in fact far more important for the welfare of the club ?
Last edited by woof woof ! on Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby red37 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:03 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
red37 wrote:standards are exceptionally high and rightly so, due to the hopes and dreams of its fans.... id like to see rafa prioritise ALL the prizes on offer,  i reckon he is the same. but never forget the measure of the people who keep him on his toes and work that extra mile to make this the best club in the country. because thats what it is. all we need is the record books to say the same.

But a  question to all in here , IF you were LFC's manager ,during your time with the club what would  you class as your biggest achievement , (a) winning the premiership or (b) qualifying for the CL every season ?

Personal glory may tempt you to go for the "win the prem" option , but surely qualifying for the CL every season is in fact far more important for the welfare of the club ?

a fair point in all honesty, though sadly an all too true one. it does though conjure up a mindset of  "its not the winning its the taking part" approach though, for the sake of millions and millions to waste on miscalculated transfers, stagnation of ambition and the status of ' being just another benign european club' with pots of cash.  ahhh,  the prowess in being declared " the worlds wealthiest club"   what an achievement! also bearing in mind the obstacles to be overcome by actually winning the cup. what, say 13 plus games? even by losing games it is still possible. and the 8 or so clubs who are in a position to do something about it often enough... we all know why that has to be the case. money,the media, all they stand for and their obsessions and whims that change daily. but does it do justice to all the foundations and reputation painstakingly built up.

it kind of worries me that this is what we all at one time drooled over - a european superleague. hell, its what it is...where the reality suggests, nothing could be further from the truth in expecting ANY of the entrants in it- to go on and lift the thing. there are next to no chances of that happening often enough to make it a decent spectacle year after year. i think it is a special thing to win as a one-off campaign, where the team drags the fans through every drama along the way. but not every season.

unlike the league- there is the real football. played in the sh1t and the rain, when the sun shines and where there are no false prophets, zooming in on every incident, football related or otherwise. (yeah right?) thanks to sky tv that isnt the case any longer. and whether you like it or not, we all love the controversy and the intrigue AND the cynicism.

then i suppose you have an argument to say there are even less clubs able to win their own domestic leagues...thats as clear as a bell in our own premiership.

but if your asking which of the two actual trophies would be more desirable to a club with aspirations for a bigger bank account than its own beating hearts ambition...well there again is little contest. its the CL.

give me the league title though, anyday. and call me an old fashioned dreamer while your at it - iam. sorry...

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:30 pm

red37 wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:

a fair point in all honesty, though sadly an all too true one. it does though conjure up a mindset of  "its not the winning its the taking part" approach though, for the sake of millions and millions to waste on miscalculated transfers, stagnation of ambition and the status of ' being just another benign european club' with pots of cash.  ahhh,  the prowess in being declared " the worlds wealthiest club"   what an achievement! also bearing in mind the obstacles to be overcome by actually winning the cup. what, say 13 plus games? even by losing games it is still possible. and the 8 or so clubs who are in a position to do something about it often enough... we all know why that has to be the case. money,the media, all they stand for and their obsessions and whims that change daily. but does it do justice to all the foundations and reputation painstakingly built up.

it kind of worries me that this is what we all at one time drooled over - a european superleague. hell, its what it is...where the reality suggests, nothing could be further from the truth in expecting ANY of the entrants in it- to go on and lift the thing. there are next to no chances of that happening often enough to make it a decent spectacle year after year. i think it is a special thing to win as a one-off campaign, where the team drags the fans through every drama along the way. but not every season.

unlike the league- there is the real football. played in the sh1t and the rain, when the sun shines and where there are no false prophets, zooming in on every incident, football related or otherwise. (yeah right?) thanks to sky tv that isnt the case any longer. and whether you like it or not, we all love the controversy and the intrigue AND the cynicism.

then i suppose you have an argument to say there are even less clubs able to win their own domestic leagues...thats as clear as a bell in our own premiership.

but if your asking which of the two actual trophies would be more desirable to a club with aspirations for a bigger bank account than its own beating hearts ambition...well there again is little contest. its the CL.

give me the league title though, anyday. and call me an old fashioned dreamer while your at it - iam. sorry...

:laugh:  , Go and have a pint with the Notts Forrest  fans , I'm sure they'll agree with your point of view, as they sit around and remember the good ole days when they were a top flight outfit.
:laugh:

Again, I understand where your coming from but would you really exchange one or two seasons of glory for continued competition at footballs top table ? (thats what your post implies , to me at least .) Like it or not CL football is far more than just the "cherry on the cake"  it is the competition that financially can make or break the future of a club .

I for one want to see my team represented in club footballs elite FOREVER  (and most of footballs elite participate in the CL year after year) , if that means winning our domestic competition is not our primary aim , so be it .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby red37 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:01 pm

:D  forest...

yeah and i hear you too woof- ive conceded that the champions league is where its at and without a shadow of a doubt will continue to be. like it or lump it.

what i cant disregard are the principles this club was built on and those achievements that came through the direct result of all that. and neither do you deep down.

'bastions' and 'fortresses' are still of course to be found on the continent - but not until we have reinstated our own house. and until then the breaching of enemy lines should be far more coveted within our own shores. it always used to be?

nights like Rome, Paris and Istanbul etc are special one-offs to savour for ever...dramatic markers that tell history who to respect and consider the standard of the day. (regardless of form) besides, we are continually told its a results orientated business. in that case there's a thousand cherished memories that allow us to be discussing the facts relevant today here in this topic..otherwise we'd all be off up the Trent or negotiating 'spaghetti junction'...

and who said it was only "one or two seasons of glory to exchange" ? from my point of view ive been positively bloody spoiled over the years!

i wouldnt swap the idea of returning to that kind of heady success for all the tea in china...never mind Athens. yes, id prefer it all.

but thats me..in either case its nice to agree to disagree.   :)

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:38 pm

to be honest i'm getting bored with us winning the CL now anyway. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:44 pm

red37 wrote:but thats me..in either case its nice to agree to disagree.   :)

:D  OK .

One thing we do at least agree on is that whatever the opposition , be it Bolton or Barcelona we both want our lads to win . (but I know which game I'd rather watch   :D  )

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Effes » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:52 pm

I don't think Rafa would rather win the Champs League but he may think that's our best chance of glory this season.

We were always brought up with the fact that the domestic league was our "bread and butter" - have times changed so much that we don't think that anymore?

One thing's for sure, if you can win your domestic league year in year out, it gives you a fantastic platform to go into Europe.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 89-1159041913 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:56 pm

raf will just have 2
settle for second
best in both the league
and the champs
they have chelseas name
writen all over it.

booya! :D
89-1159041913

Postby davo_LFC » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:28 pm

haha chavski win the CL, my @rse
how many times have yers won it again?
5 times less than us matey :D

I reckon if mourinho will get swerved if yers dont win it this season, hes spent about 6000000000000 million on players so they should be pi$$ing it really but they wont coz we will beat yers again in the knock out stages.
Maybe roman will get bored of spending his wedge on the prem and decide to do one if the CL is not won some time soon. Thats what i think will eventually happen anyways. :D
ImageImage
davo_LFC
LFC Super Member

Postby 89-1159041913 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:59 pm

yeah yeah, ive heard it all before
whilst its nice to live in the past
its the present and future that
counts, not what was achieved
30 years ago.
although it is nice to remember
its bad to live in it.
chelsea will be champs league
and league winners this
season
and if we arent
ill wear a dress and post on
here, deal?
89-1159041913

Postby Rafa D » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:02 pm

Yield wrote:yeah yeah, ive heard it all before
whilst its nice to live in the past
its the present and future that
counts, not what was achieved
30 years ago.
although it is nice to remember
its bad to live in it.
chelsea will be champs league
and league winners this
season
and if we arent
ill wear a dress and post on
here, deal?

2 LEAGUE TITLES AND YOU THINK YOUR CREATING HISTORY. BEEN THERE DONE THAT.

It seems to be a common misconception that we live in our history. When we have won the most trophy's out of Englands top 4 clubs since the 00's began!!!

Champions League is beyond Jose, get a grip.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 89-1159041913 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:05 pm

we are creating history, for chelsea fc
yeah youve won 18 leagues, we've won
three, sure thats pretty bad if you compare
but its about what you do now
and not what you did in 1901, thats
all im saying.
as for jose not being able to win the cl
hes won it before and im sure
hell do it again
89-1159041913

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:13 pm

Chelsea may win it, they may not but I couldn't give a toss discussing it because this is a Liverpool forum. :;):
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby 89-1159041913 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:19 pm

kk
it was just a joke
but you scousers
who usually know
what a joke is started
turning it into
some sort of debate
booya!
at least davo knows