Morientes says no to rafa - Prefers monaco

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Redtribe » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:41 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
laza wrote:And if we do sign Morientes and he doesnt start hitting goals straight away, how many games will you give him before you decide he is a dud as well ???

Three......

That many!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby gabbyh » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:28 pm

Cisse? Don't know. Can't get to a match so have to rely on match reports and my own instict.
Rafe gives him a chance, why don't we?
Using strikers as wingers? Didn't we do that with Michael Owen? Didn't Real do that with him too? Didn't his freedom enable him to score for Real from a cross by Ronaldo? I read that he admitted that as he was placed on the wing, he should not have scored, but he ended up playing on the end of a pass from Ronaldo who supplied a cross from the wing.

Isn't football about players thinking for themselves? Isn't it a sad time when players are restricted by their roles? Or even by the roles their Managers put them into?
Also, to be honest, I don't think a lot of modern managers trust their players on the field. They have to control every move.
Liverpool has suffered from this. I don't think we have had a Manager apart from Bob Paisley, who has been able to put aside his dislike for a player enough to play him anyway for the good of the team.
gabbyh

Postby Redrider » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:41 pm

Leon, Don't read the Sunday Sport mate, it's bad for your eyesight :

KOP STARS JUST DON'T HIT IT OFF
Daily Mirror 21 October 2004 

Benitez would like Real Madrid's Fernando Morientes who has made it clear he would love to come to Merseyside in January. But if the asking price gets near the £8m Liverpool received from them for Michael Owen then they will walk away from the deal.

Having said that, the Mirror is only marginaly better.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby Redrider » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:49 pm

Personaly, I can't see the Morientes one happening in January. The Mista deal looks like a better runner, past history of playing with Rafa etc. and maybe a cheap deal, semi-Bosman etc.
Is this Mista chap any good ? some speak highly of him!!
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:52 pm

Redrider wrote:Is this Mista chap any good ? some speak highly of him!!

i'd say he was a classic goal poacher. just what we need really.
Last edited by stmichael on Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:00 pm

I have said it before, but Rafa was his boss until six months ago, and he never offered him a new contract.

I dont think this is:

1)   co-incidence
2)   a ploy as he knew he was going to leave Valencia

I think it was cus he did not like/rate him that much.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:06 pm

Latest from Skysports re Morientes :

Fernando no-go
by Francisco Acedo -  Last Updated 21 Oct 2004
Sky Sports

''Real Madrid claim they will not entertain the prospect of selling Fernando Morientes when the transfer window reopens.

The striker's future at the club has been called into question as he has found himself behind Raul, Ronaldo and Michael Owen in Mariano Garcia Remon's pecking order.

Morientes's agent Gines Carvajal was reported to be in Liverpool on Wednesday, sparking rumours he was opening talks on a possible transfer to Anfield in January.

However, Madrid have now come out to declare Morientes 'intransferable', with Real president Florentino Perez claiming he will be needed during the course of the campaign.''

Do RM, really mean this ?  Or is this just a ploy to push up the price ?
I still think that this an unlikely deal in January, unless we are really desperate for a striker !!
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby ralmach » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:58 pm

When Real Madrid says white, is black, and when they say black is white, so don't believe their claim.
Spanish LFC fan
ralmach

Postby spud » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:19 pm

I think we should sign both Mista and Morientes for :p "two-bob and a pickled onion".  If neither of them score more than 10 (each) in their first 3 games then boot them out. :p

I'm now going to burst into a song :D
spud

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion