Do you think rafa prefers to win the cl ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Rafa D » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:22 pm

Yield wrote:kk
it was just a joke
but you scousers
who usually know
what a joke is started
turning it into
some sort of debate
booya!
at least davo knows
wot a joke is
booya!

STOP SAYING BOOYA!!
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 89-1159041913 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:26 pm

kk
bloody hell
i dont c
what the prob
is with it?
its a cool
word me
n my gal
always use it
you get me?
89-1159041913

Postby red37 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:12 pm

Yield wrote:yeah yeah, ive heard it all before
whilst its nice to live in the past
its the present and future that
counts, not what was achieved
30 years ago.

chelsea will be champs league
and league winners this
season
and if we arent
ill wear a dress and post on
here, deal?

what a lack of football knowledge you display...30 years ago my friend, this club was about to hit the stratosphere.. we'd already been league champions a few times, got used to that. and were now about to really turn the screw (im sure you are as able in reading as you are in jumping onto bandwagons)  ...and that lasted for a further 15. yes, 15 years of domination, with different sides and no sugar-daddy's.  Come back to us in 2036 with a list as long as Liverpools triumphs and you can gladly call us wrong for being sceptical.

if chelsea do not win the champions league, i for one will be surprised. after all, they've invested billions on the task. apparantly thats all you need isnt it?  that and the longest path round your nemesis: senor rafa benitez in actually getting to a final, let alone winning it.

get a life, get a seeding...best of all get a decent hold of your senses and go back to being a frustrated gooner, or 'ammers fan.  t h e m o n e y w i l l d r y u p e v e n t u a l l y. besides, arsene wengers far more charismatic and interesting than the shower of gimps running your (ahem) club. i nearly said gravy-train then....

history?  weve sh1t nothing else m8. and all done with a smile.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:12 am

I think if you look at the players he has bought, it's obvious he wants to win the Premiership.

Bellamy, Pennant, Zenden (Premiership experience), Fowler, Crouch, Sissoko - all more suited to the English style than that on the Continent.

Reina is a more English-style 'keeper than Dudek, who wouldn't come for a cross. Kuyt is made for the Premiership, and Agger and Paletta are British-style CBs.
The only signings after his first season better suited to Europe are Aurelio and Gonzalez.

I would say Rafa wants the title as much as the Champions' League.

I know us fans yearn for our first Premiership trophy, but when all is said and done, "European Champions" is a nice label to wear.
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:21 am

Moris may well win it - he SHOULD win it with the astronomical amounts of money he's spent. I think a kangaroo in a dress could win the Champions' League with an unlimited wedge of cash to spend on players.

There is no glory in buying your way to victory. You claim Sh*tski are building history, but the same could have been said for Adolf Hitler in 1939.
He built a whole ile of history, but for all the wrong reasons.

Sh*tski, particularly during the current Russian Mafia-boss' tenure, will only be remembered for one thing:

Dirty Money. And that isn't a history worth having.

Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 89-1159041913 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:21 am

whilst i accept your opinions
even though thy are completely
wrong, you lot do
sound a bit jealous of the money
which i dont know why you would
be, maybe it's because you want
to win your first prem champ so badly?
89-1159041913

Postby Ciggy » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:25 am

Yield wrote:whilst i accept your opinions
wrong, you lot do

Not atall I would go off my head should a Roman type of character take over our great club.
Respect is earned not bought.
Thats why no one respects Chelsea and Im not just talking about Liverpool fans, Chelsea are now hated as much as the mancs.
Not by me I really could'nt care less what Chelsea or Manure do.
Those bitter blue noses from across the park are our rivals and they havent got a pot to piss in.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:28 am

Bad Bob wrote:
babu wrote:please explain why we can't compete in ECL and the league at the same time? Why can't we play as an english side in the champions league? I know you're saying rotation is coping strategy for a club that is trophy driven, i understand. But why don't we do the same for a settled team.. i mean if it works, don't feck with it until it doesn't work.

I'm not getting up up Rafa, its just i'm used to non-performance=change.

Babu, mate, don't misunderstand me...I think we probably can compete for both at the same time this season (although see my caveat below).  In fact, this may be the first season where we have a reasonable shot at doing well in both competitions due to the strength and depth of our squad now. 

In 2004-2005 we simply did not have the squad to compete in both and our league performances certainly suffered as we progressed further in the CL.  Last season we had a deeper squad and probably could have put up a good fight in both but Benfica caught us cold and dumped us out of the CL earlier than we would have expected.  Now, I'm not definitively saying that our being knocked out of the CL early was responsible for our sparkling run-in last campaign but it is interesting that we really only looked like world beaters after exiting the Champions League (and after the game or two required to get over the shock of that exit...remember Arsenal away?).  Had we progressed further in the CL perhaps we would not have wound up with 80+ points in the league?  This season we are stronger and deeper still as a squad and are finally in a position to compete effectively on both fronts over the long term.  To do so, however, requires some sort of rotation strategy to keep players fresh during the grueling two-games-a-week parts of the schedule. 

As for playing as an English side in the CL, I think we do that.  Playing the likes of Crouch and Pennant last week against Galatasaray illustrates that.  Thankfully, Rafa does not believe in fielding two distinct sides: a league side and a Champions League side.  There's an awful lot of overlap between the teams played in each competition and we play the Liverpool way in both.  So, while I agree that wholesale rotation is counter-productive, I still contend that limited rotation, when done correctly, is the way forward for success in both competitions.

Having said all of that, I agree with the likes of Saint and Big Mick, who are suggesting that the rotation policy this season--despite making sense on paper--is serving to unsettle the team in a way that is impeding results.  We need to remember that this is a team with a lot of new faces that is learning to play a new and more attacking style of football.  There will be, and have been, growing pains--growing pains that our rotation policy is perhaps exacerbating.  Rafa, I'm sure, would have hoped that the new lads would bed in faster and that the entire squad would have cottoned on to the new tactics earlier.  Fact is, they haven't and the results so far (particularly in the league) underscore this. 

So, success in the league and the CL might be a bridge too far in what is, to be honest, a significant transition season for us.  Perhaps it is time to play a settled side for a run of games in order to get the results ticking over and boost the confidence.  If, ultimately, we fade in the CL and the league down the home stretch as a result of over-extending the key players at this stage, we can at least be sure that the new system has been battle tested and that we will be ready to storm the league and Europe next season. (Not that I'm giving up hope yet on either front this season!)

Quality reply as usual. Thanks Badbob.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 89-1159041913 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:43 am

Ciggy wrote:
wrong, you lot do

Not atall I would go off my head should a Roman type of character take over our great club.
Thats why no one respects Chelsea and Im not just talking about Liverpool fans, Chelsea are now hated as much as the mancs.
Those bitter blue noses from across the park are our rivals and they havent got a pot to piss in.

what i dont get is
all this "bought" the title
stuff. whilst i agree its an
advantage it doesnt gurantee
us success, as you and most
other fans think!
ranieri spent like a 100 mill
and we won sod all knocked out of
the champs league semi
and runners up in the league
it was when mourinho came in that things
took off and whilst he has spent loads on players, you cant knock him or the players for being able to gel
together and winning the league back to back?
you can say what you like about money being the only reason
but thats :censored:, madrid have more money than us
and look at them? a side without direction.
89-1159041913

Postby Ciggy » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:45 am

Yield wrote:what i dont get is
other fans think!
the champs league semi
took off and whilst he has spent loads on players, you cant knock him or the players for being able to gel

Start a topic on it Yeild in prem dissgussion as this is the Liverpool part of the forum.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:32 am

Manhattan will happily accept another Champions League win.

china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:57 am

The Manhattan Project wrote:Manhattan will happily accept another Champions League win.

Wouldn't we all knobjockey
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:45 am

Yield wrote:
Ciggy wrote:
wrong, you lot do

what i dont get is
other fans think!
the champs league semi

Take off your blue-tinted specs, mate.

Ranieri bought most of the players you now class as Moris signings. The better players in your squad.
The reason he left is because he couldn't get on with the DOn, nor the masses of egos at the Bridge, so Roman went out and bought Mr Ego himself to "manage" them.

Real Madrid have won the Champions' league a damn-site more than Sh*tski, and if you really think they have more money now, you're in danger of becoming a laughing stock. They are over £100m in debt to the Spanish Government.
The only thing they have which you don't is a virtual guarantee that they will never have to pay their debt back.
You want to pray nightly that your Russian sugar-daddy doesn't decide to recall all his capital, as you'd be looking at a figure approaching £1 billion. He had spent about £650m over a year ago, so only he knows how much more he's squandered.

If you truely believe that the ability to sign any morally lacking player in the World is only an "advantage", then you need therapy. It's a virtual guarantee of success, and it's only when you come up against a team managed by a true great/full of great players that you come unstuck. (Rafa, Barcelona, for eg.)

For all of your praise for Moris, and scorn of Ranieri, remember this:

Fat Frank, Robben, Crespo, Cudicini, Gallas, Cole, Makalele, Bridge and Duff were all signings made by Ranieri, and if I'm not mistaken, he was also after Drogba. All signings crucial to BOTH league titles.

He also got you as far as that weasel Moris has in the Champions' League, despite not having the backing from the Mafia-Don.
Remember this aswell when you credit that Portugese tw*t for getting the team to "gel". I think you'll find that the hardest job had already been done, seeing as that prat only really chose Carvalho, Cech and Ferrera in that first season. Robben and Drogba joined, but both play a style where little gelling is required.

Once again - there is no honour in winning with an unfair advantage.
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:45 am

Wouldn't we all knobjockey

No, we wouldn't all jockey a knob.

I'd be happy with the Champions League win, but not THAT happy.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion