Morientas still on - Well rafa prefers spanish...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Woollyback » Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:26 pm

Surely not Beattie.....     He'd be ridiculously overpriced for starters, and we need players with class - not just brawn

I'd be happy with Anelka or Morientes, but can't quite make up my mind which I'd prefer. Haven't really seen enough of Morientes to judge
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:26 pm

It must be anelka, for two glaring reasons:

1) He will not need anytime to settle in. He is established in the Premeirship, and he is still friendly with a number of Liverpool players, including (significantly) Stevie G. There fore there is no need to worry about him getting into the pace of the league here, or settling in with the lads.

2) He is available for the Champions League. It may cause a wry smile with some on here, but look at the draw, it has opened up for us big time.

Morientes for £8m, with no Champions League football and no guarantee hw will fit in to this leagues frantic style, or Anelka for £5m + Henchoz, with guaranteed goals and a real hunger (and proven record) in the Champions League.

No question.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:36 pm

Leon agreed mate good post.
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:07 pm

Stevie G's recent comments on Anelka MIGHT mean that he knows the club are about to sign him and he is finding it difficult to keep his mouth shut.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby L-type » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:27 pm

I thought about that myself but regardless his comments seem out of place and random.
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:00 pm

Re Anelka, it might turn out to be the best business Houllier ever did, letting him go somewhere else for 10 mill plus then letting the club sign him for less than 5 mill two seasons later just as he is entering his prime.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:13 pm

Well it looks like we have bid morientas. 3.5 million looks about right for a cup-tied player. Can't believe madrid wants more. If they want 8 million, i rather we bid for anelka.

So you guys & gals happy ?

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liv....ge.html

Reds bid £3.5m for Morientes Dec 20 2004

Exclusive By Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL have bid £3.5m for Real Madrid striker Fernando Morientes.

But the Reds have been told to double their offer to sign the 28-year-old forward (left) before January.

Negotiations between both clubs are ongoing as Rafa Benitez tries to land the player he first targeted last summer.

Benitez is confident Morientes wants to move to Merseyside, despite being linked to former club Monaco for much of the season.

Having now made an official approach, the Reds boss must play a waiting game before securing his number one target.

Madrid officials insist they want £7m, but that's beyond the Reds' valuation.

A fee of around £5m could eventually land the highly rated target man, who was the star of last season's Champions League.

Morientes could have moved to Anfield last August as part of the deal which took Michael Owen to the Bernabeu.

Instead, he opted to stay and fight for his place in Madrid, but the early departure of exmanager Jose Camacho has left Morientes in limbo.

Benitez has made no secret of his admiration for the centre-forward, and he's been the top priority throughout the season - despite late interest in Manchester City's Nicolas Anelka.

Liverpool officials have not been given the green light to discuss personal terms with the player yet, but negotiations will continue throughout this week.
Last edited by The_Rock on Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:18 pm

i have a funny feeling that Morientes could be abvsolutley awesome for us, he has the necessary attributes to cut it here IMO.

Heim or anelka woul be a good signing for sure, but Morietnes may be priced out of the market by real Madrid, the greedy ******.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby simic_ie » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:57 pm

I was just about to post the same topic there Rock :p I like the way this has started though, make a low bid and meet half way, Morientes would be an exellent addition to the team
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:01 pm

simic_ie wrote:I was just about to post the same topic there Rock :p I like the way this has started though, make a low bid and meet half way, Morientes would be an exellent addition to the team

Giving real a taste of their own medicine. 8 million for 24 yr old owen ? 3.5 million for cup-tied morientas sounds just about rite  :D
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:02 pm

Well Anelkas not going to Barca, I think it will be him, Morientes is a big gamble and we need a better striker than Mellor in our CL games, plus Morientes not used to the prem.
I would prefer Anelka.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:03 pm

me too...but rafa seems to prefer his spanish m8......  :cool:
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:05 pm

More news... Real could have done us a huge favour by giving morientas in the owen deal. Now when he is cup-tied, they wanna release him. Fcuking irritating if you ask me. Hope Juventus knocks them out.

http://www.sportnetwork.net/main/s342/st63366.htm?fromrss=1

Morientes ‘I want Liverpool move’

Fernando Morientes has stated that he would like to bring his unhappy return to Real Madrid to an end by joining Liverpool: ‘ I have always played at big clubs and when a side of Liverpool’s stature comes in for you of course you consider it’

‘I never wanted to leave Madrid, my heart is here but they no longer want me, if Liverpool are interested I would love to see what I can achieve for them’.

‘They are a great side and I think I can help to get them back where they belong’.

The player himself only recently returned to Madrid after a successful loan spell away, but now looks set for a move to the Premiership. He could of course help to solve Liverpool’s current striker problem and would be a good investment for the Merseyside club.
Last edited by The_Rock on Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:07 pm

from bbc sport...lol

Liverpool are believed to have tabled a £3.5m bid for Real Madrid striker Fernando Morientes.
Boss Rafael Benitez wants Morientes to strengthen his team, with Djibril Cisse out for the season with a broken leg.

BBC Sport understands that Liverpool have been told to double their bid for the 28-year-old Spanish international.

Morientes, who has lost his place at the Bernabeu following the arrival of former Liverpool striker Michael Owen, is also wanted by Monaco.

Liverpool believe Morientes is keen to move to Merseyside and hope a compromise deal of £5m can be agreed.

Morientes said: "To play for Liverpool would please any player and in Rafa Benitez they have a technical coach who I have always appreciated.

Is that a joke offer? Great if we can get him for that but I think £8m might be required

From Matthew
Have your say on 606 
"But there are a lot of things to sort out. I haven't spoken directly with Benitez but I know Liverpool want me."

Morientes was the top scorer in last season's Champions League while he was on loan at Monaco.

However, on his return to the Bernabeu he has found himself behind Raul, Ronaldo and Owen in the pecking order.

Morientes was thought to favour a permanent move to Monaco but he admits that now looks unlikely.

"I had a good time in Monaco last season but I have not heard anything from them lately," he said.

"My situation is difficult but Madrid know they must do something about me."
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:09 pm

The news is coming in thick and fast. Another site. I think we have to play hardball. Offer 3.5. Max is 5 million. If not, we should bid for anelka.

http://www.fansfc.com/frontpage/frontpagenews.asp?newsid=134110

Liverpool make £3.5m bid for Morientes
13:08 December, 20, 2004

Rafael Benitez has signalled his intention to sign Fernando Morientes in the New Year by making an official offer

Real Madrid have rejected the offer for the 28-year-old and have said they want double the amount but are likely to settle for around £5 million.

Morientes enjoyed a successful loan spell at Monaco last season before deciding to return to Spain but has found first team chances hard to come by at Real, ironically due to the form of former Liverpool forward Michael Owen.
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion