Mascherano and alonso wanted by spanish giants - If it came down to losing one...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Mascherano and alonso wanted by spanish giants - If it came down to losing one...

Mascherano to Barcelona
59%
Alonso to Madrid
41%

Total votes : 78

Postby Rush Job » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:11 pm

Owzat wrote:I am somewhat surprised it is only 13-11 in favour of Mascherano given the impression I've got off here that people don't want Alonso to go and didn't back when it was to make way for Barry. I think selling Alonso would be a far bigger backward step in our progress than selling Mascherano, we need to be more attacking as we were in the last dozen games of last season and selling our best passer of the ball seems far from the best way to sustain that style.

I dont think anyone wants him to go mate, blame the topic starter for making us choose  :veryangry
:D
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redbeergoggles » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:33 pm

I possess neither the arrogance or temerity to decide on which World class midfielder should depart ,I expect Benitez will make the appropriate decision and act accordingly ,if indeed any such decision needs to be made .... (Which I doubt )
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:25 pm

If absolutely pushed I'd sell Alonso over Mascherano.  Overall I think Alonso is the better player - his range of passing and ability to switch play is so important to the way we have played this season and he has also added a toughness to his game that he didn't have before.  He looks to enjoy mixing it these days and gets through plenty of the dirty work in midfield.  Mascherano is more mobile and has the better engine.  He is also the better tackler, but I agree that he offers nothing against the lesser sides in terms of attack.  Why he is so important however, is that he shields the back four superbly (I don't think our centre halves are as strong as some people seem to think - but that's another debate), and he is perhaps the main reason for us not conceding a lot of goals.

My reason for selling Alonso over Mascherano however, is that quite simply I can see Alonso wanting to go at some point, and on the other hand I can't see Mascherano wanting to leave for a good few years.  If we sold Mascherano now we'd risk losing both of them over the next year or two which would be disastrous.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:58 pm

GYBS wrote:Rock and hard place for me , cant really answer it has they both extremely important players for us .

Good contribution GYBS, are you won of those people who phones in a vote to declare that you are undecided??  :wwww

BTW I voted to let Alonso go, he's :censored: anyway  :D
In all seriosuness I think the defensive qualities of Mascha are a bit more valuable than the creative qualities of Xabi but I really would prefer to keep both of them.
heimdall

Postby Ciggy » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:50 am

That will be great for next season wont it? Alonso & masch leaving  :no

Masch's wife left Liverpool two months ago to have her baby cause she cant settle, and now it looks like Xabi is off.

Feckinell.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GRAHAM01 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:55 am

i said alonso and reason why is i think rafa is looking for a second striker and if that is the case i think gerrard will be pushed back in to the middle ( not such a bad thing depite what he has done for the last to seasons playing up there with torres ) this would only work if we get a second striker that is good enough, if we do then i have to look at it as gerrard is taking over from alonso and we would only have 1 holding midfield player and i would have to choose mash for that job

like i said i does depend on the striker bought in if he was not good then gerrard would be pushed back up front and we would be left short

it's all if buts and maybes but that what i think
if you want some come get some!
GRAHAM01
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:31 am

Bad Bob wrote:
s@int wrote:For me Alonso doesn't create enough, while Masch does his job, so I voted to sell Alonso. (I also think when Masch is at the top of his game he is World class, sadly he has only shown this in a few games this season)

For the sake of a bit of discussion, I've highlighted this part of your post, mate, because I think you could look at it in a very different way.  Masch may do his job but it's a job that perhaps isn't that vital against all but a handful of teams.  Do we really need him against the likes of Sunderland at Anfield, for instance?  Whereas, with Alonso we have a player that dictates tempo from deep (i.e. the deep-lying playmaker) and who also does a solid job of shielding the back four when necessary--which should be sufficient against many teams in the league.  Plus, as you say, we could probably replace Masch more easily with a cheaper alternative for the 'big' games where a spoiler is needed so, from that perspective, keeping Alonso would make more sense too.  As for Xabi not creating enough, I guess that depends on what kind of expectations you have.  As a deep-lying playmaker he surely can't be expected to be playing 1-2s around the "D" most of the match.  I see his role as dictating tempo and providing the platform for our attacks--which he does very well (i.e. he does his job).  Since he's been, by everyone's admission, back to his best this season and since this has been a season that has seen as collect a record number of points and outscore everyone in the league, I'd say he does create enough.  Put another quality attacker in front of him to complement Gerrard, Torres and the likes of Kuyt, Benayoun and Riera when on form and we'll be in great shape IMO.

I dont often disagree with you Bob but in this case I do.

It is against the Stokes and Sunderlands of the world that we need Mash in there , we need a runner, a tackler and a warrior against these sides who as we know will get behind the ball and try to deny space.

If I were to compile a list of who should not go these two players would be right at the top of the list with nando and Stevie. They are the spine of the side and we must not mess that up at any cost.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RobinHood6969 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:43 am

I wouldnt sell both instead sell vorocrap and degen... Y on earth should we sell
RobinHood6969

Postby DanAn » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:27 am

I'd sell Alonso because IMO Alonso's value is inflated when compared to Masherano. I also think we could do with a slightly more dynamic CM partnership that scores more and that means bringing in a more attacking CM. If that was the case and we kept Alonso he's have to play a more defensive role and IMO would be less effective.

The type of deal I would look for is a swap deal of Sneijder + Cash
DanAn

Postby Ciggy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:30 am

The midfield hardman’s agent has confessed that his client would have no problems swapping Anfield for Camp Nou
9 Jun 2009

Liverpool midfielder Javier Mascherano has become one of Barcelona’s prime transfer targets this summer and it appears that the Blaugrana could get their man should they step up their pursuit.

The Argentine captain’s agent, Walter Tamer, has revealed that his client would not hesitate in accepting an offer to join the Catalans should one be officially made.

“If a club like Barcelona want to bring you into their ranks after having completed such a brilliant season and having won everything, obviously as a player, you are going to say, ‘Yes, I want to play there,’” he told RAC-1 programme ‘Tu Diras’.

“It is an honour for Javier that a club like Barca pay such close attention to him, especially after the incredible season they had. I believe that a transfer would be feasible. If Barca really want him, he will sign for them.”

Tamer also believes that ‘Masche’ would have no problems fitting into Pep Guardiola’s setup at the Camp Nou.

“He would have a very easy job at Barca,” claimed the agent.

“Sometimes we talk and joke that the only thing he has to do is run, rob the ball, and pass it on to all the superstars in front of him.”

Tamer, however, is aware that a Mascherano switch to Catalunya is not as easy as it seems, especially since Liverpool have to be willing to sell first.

“I have spoken with [Barca technical director] Txiki Begiristain before, but we have not been in contact for a while now,” the representative asserted.

“To have something concrete, we have to talk to Liverpool first to know what their options are for Javier to leave, and then talk to Barcelona to find out their level of interest.

“What if Xabi Alonso also leaves? Surely, [Liverpool manager] Rafael Benitez would not want to have both his central midfielders go. It will be difficult, although Xabi’s future does not depend on Mascherano and vice-versa.

“The transaction would certainly happen, but the first to leave will have more options.”

Is that why you signed for West ham Javier to pass the ball to all them superstar players?

His agent is a gobsh!te I find his comments totally disrespectfull to Liverpool like we are some no mark club.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:03 am

Will agree with you 100% Ciggy and just shows up agents for what they are - scum of the football world .

I gotta a feeling Masher doesnt agree with what his agent says
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:22 am

Yes, the Barcelona press are piling pressure on Mascherano and reckon that he'll go for 30.

I doubt though Benitez would or should accept that, unless a player like Eto'o is involved in the operation.

Anyhow, like in the Alonso case, it's a case in which I wouldn't like the player gone, and if he's gone, for a very expensive price.

I agree the agent seems a cúnt, but it's difficult, bear in mind that those argie journos ask questions like "would be good to see Messi and Mascherano in the same team" etc, etc, etc, and asked in Argentina, and in that context, it's easy to give answers that might upset us from the distance.

Mascherano though has made clear his comfortable here more than once, and that's good enough for me.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby akumaface » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:32 am

It would be a really big problem if Mascherano is leaving as we can see from last season how important he is to this team. He is crucial in breaking up plays and can dominate the midfield defensively with the best there is. Even if we sell him for a high price but that doesn't mean Rafa or the Yanks will allow those fund to be used in the transfer market. The Yanks can never be trusted as he will use those money against his own debt. :angry: Since we don't have much money to get a significant number of players, I hope we will only sell off fringe players but not in the starting eleven.
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby Ciggy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:33 am

Sabre wrote:Yes, the Barcelona press are piling pressure on Mascherano and reckon that he'll go for 30.

I doubt though Benitez would or should accept that, unless a player like Eto'o is involved in the operation.

Anyhow, like in the Alonso case, it's a case in which I wouldn't like the player gone, and if he's gone, for a very expensive price.

I agree the agent seems a cúnt, but it's difficult, bear in mind that those argie journos ask questions like "would be good to see Messi and Mascherano in the same team" etc, etc, etc, and asked in Argentina, and in that context, it's easy to give answers that might upset us from the distance.

Mascherano though has made clear his comfortable here more than once, and that's good enough for me.

Graham Hunter on SSN then has just said Perez is p!ssed off cause Alonso is ignoring his advances.
And liverpool has no intentions of selling him, the same cannot be said for Mascherano.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:36 am

I wouldnt consider selling him to a rival at any price.

We say we consider selling Alonso to Chelsea or city as they are our league rivals.
But Barcelona are our major champions league rivals, and if they were to sign Masher their midfield would be even more impressive.

No chance would i sell.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion