LIVERPOOL  V  WEST HAM UNITED - FA CUP FINAL Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby H_K_LFC » Sun May 14, 2006 1:20 am

With gerrard's two great goals i think Cisse's goal has gone unnoticed a bit.It was a great finish from a guy not known for his finishing,it was a great ball from Gerrard and an equally great finish.

Maybe it was the the odd boots  :Oo: :D
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun May 14, 2006 1:23 am

That was a very good finish indeed by Cisse, best I've seen from him all season.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun May 14, 2006 1:33 am

Steven Gerrard: Utterly remarkable.

Nothing more to say.

:bowdown  :bowdown  :bowdown  :bowdown  :bowdown

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Sun May 14, 2006 1:42 am

"Success is a Journey , only those who believe reach it's destination" :D

Yet again LFC take us right to the wire and test our faith in this great club. We leave Cardiff in 2006 as we found it in 2001, as winners in yet another extraordinary final.

Not been back long from the game and ranks up there in terms of excitement and intensity. Truth is we were below average and taken all the way by a  West Ham side who gave it a real go today for which they will have received much respect. Its easy to be magnaminous when you have won but it takes teams of real character to ressurect a winning result from what was a below average performance.

We never looked comfortable on the ball and Gerard and Sissoko apart were exposed by an attack minded Hammers team. We never got to grips with their tricky right winger and Ashton was a constant threat. Reo -Coker and Etherington bossed the midfield for long periods of the game and only a couple of top drawer saves from Reina kept us in it.

However the record books will show that we have secured yet another trophy (our 43rd I believe  !! :p ) but what it won't say is how hard we had to work to achieve it.

Walk on ..........
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun May 14, 2006 2:10 am

We have a tendency to make things difficult for ourselves in the cup final, and in the process we the fans lose five to ten years of our lives due to panic attacks and high blood pressure :D

BUT..... I really wouldn't want it any other way :D

The sleeping giant has finaly awoken
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 73-1141222089 » Sun May 14, 2006 2:15 am

jonnymac1979 wrote:I've got nothing but respect for West Ham after their part in today's final.  They were fantastic and tested us to the end.  We won of course but they should take nothing away from their performances as a team or as individuals.  They were great all over the park, especially their wide players, and Ashton before he was substituted.

I actually tried to innocently log on to one of their message boards before but I was banned.  Can't think why.  Weren't going to take the piss or nothing, it's not my style.  I wanted to congratulate them.  Any one know of a friendlier link who'd let me log on?

Fair enough their goals might have been a bit cheeky compared to ours but that's football.  Take nothing away from West Ham.  I hold my hands up, they were worthy opponents and not the pushover the hyped-up media predicted.

ditto......

Hammers played out of their skins and special mention to Reo-Coker.... had a blinder.....

Their fans are as good as ours..... always have been and respect to them...

but stevie's screamers did them on the day...... and yes son, we know your name.
73-1141222089

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sun May 14, 2006 2:22 am

i dont know if you had the same footage as us in asia but after the presentation cisse was looking at his medal and hyppia walked towrds him, cisse looked at the medal as though someone had walked in his house on christmas day and sh1t on his kids. he had a look of total disdain like he was expecting more from the medal. hyppia just walked away.

the guy is a whinger
112-1077774096

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun May 14, 2006 2:34 am

Some of the player ratings on here are a bit generous, to say the very least. Here's mine:

Reina: 6 - Clearly at fault for at least 2 of the 3 goals, although obviously very unlucky with the third. Stunning save late on from Harewood, and a star turn in the shoot out. He'll get good press tomorrow, but the bottom line is that he gifted West Ham a 2 goal start.

Finnan: 7 - The pick of the defence. Fairly solid at the back, and worked the ball around tidily in the opposition half.

Carragher: 5 - Not a good performance at all. Very unlucky with the own goal, but not his normal reassuring self, and slack in the tackle. One of his worst performances of the season.

Hyypia: 6 - Very rash in the challenge at times, and played too narrow in the centre which gifted Ashton and Harewood space in the first half. Very ambitious going forward though, and carved himself a great half chance after leaving 3 players for dead with a deft turn.

Riise: 5 - Poor. Out of position far too often at the back, and never really at the races going forward. Some good challenges, but also a couple of dire attempts at sliding tackles which were poorly judged and could have left us in trouble. Good to see him score a pen in the shootout though - it wasn't a great effort, but he looked incredibly relieved.

Gerrard: 8 - Man of the match. Two phenomenal goals, almost single-handedly bringing us back into the game in the second half. Beautifully weighted pass to Cisse as well, and a cracking penalty in the shoot out. Apart from the brilliant late goal, however, he had little involvement in the last 40 mins of play once cramp had set in.

Alonso: 5 - Did very well to prove himself fit in time for the final, but looked off the pace once he'd got there. One of his occasional poor days in terms of passing (his missed pass started the move leading to the Carra OG), sluggish going forward, and reticent in the challenge. Shouldn't have started, really.

Sissoko: 6 - Typically game and energetic, put in some good challenges, and went on some good runs but lacked a finish or a killer pass. Often unlucky after covering a lot of ground, only for challenges to result in a throw in against him, or for the ball to break for the opposition. Fitness not in question though - he looked our freshest player at the end extra time.

Kewell: 5 - Another final to forget for Harry. Virtually anonymous in the first half, conceding possession regularly after trying a trick or two, and misplaced passes often. Very unlucky to injure himself on the way out for the second half, as I was hoping for a big 45 mins from him.

Crouch: 6 - Unjustly denied a very good goal - he'd timed his run to perfection. Lacking in the air as usual, but towards the end of the first half put some good passes together around the box to help us maintain the pressure. Often outmuscled by Gabbidon, and didn't assert himself as he could've done, but unlucky to be taken off.

Cisse: 5 - Scored a great goal, but apart from a cross for a Morientes half-chance, offered very little else. Didn't do anything after he'd been moved over to the left, but gamely soldiered on when clearly injured in extra time. Seemed his frustrating, sulky self for most of the second half when things didn't go his way.

Subs:

Morientes: 5 - Covered a lot of ground, but never looked threatening. West Ham defence played him out of the game in and around the box. Some good passing and movement when he withdrew to 30 yards out, however.

Kromkamp: 7 - Effective on the right of midfield. Got himself forward, worked the West Ham left back hard, and got a few good crosses in. Showed some good skill and composure at times too.

Hamann: 6 - Solid and reassuring. Helped nullify the growing threat of Benayoun, and broke things up well a few times as West Ham's fresh legs tried to catch us on the break. Tidy passing, but no massive attacking threat, which was a shame given that he was the freshest player in a red shirt for 50 mins. Very good penalty in the shoot out though.

--------------------------------------

Gutsy team performance in the extra time crampfest, but we lacked quality for most of the 120 mins. Three good goals kept us in the game, but those aside we didn't play particularly well, even when we were dominating possession. As I've said elsewhere, West Ham wouldn't necessarily have looked bad value for the win.

A great, great final though. :D
ivor_the_injun

Postby 73-1141222089 » Sun May 14, 2006 3:02 am

peewee wrote:i dont know if you had the same footage as us in asia but after the presentation cisse was looking at his medal and hyppia walked towrds him, cisse looked at the medal as though someone had walked in his house on christmas day and sh1t on his kids. he had a look of total disdain like he was expecting more from the medal. hyppia just walked away.

the guy is a whinger

Yeah.... I saw that too..... Looked like he was complaining about the winner's medal or something...... What a git!

Savor the moment, Djibril, the medal's appearance is not the important thing. It's the fact that you won the GREATEST domestic cup trophy in the world as part of the LIVERPOOL team son....

He really needs to grow up and concentrate on his football and stop screwing around with his hair and freaking boots......

Bloody idiot...
73-1141222089

Postby The_Rock » Sun May 14, 2006 3:35 am

GOAT wrote:OHHH YEAH, WE WON THE FA CUP FOR THE 7TH TIME!!!! WELL PLAYED WEST HAM BUT ONCE AGAIN THE MIGHTY LIVERPOOL HAVE COME OUT ON TOP GERRARD IS A F.UCKING LEGEND WE SHOULD THANK GOD HE STAYED HERE, WE WOULDNT HAVE WON TODAY IF IT WASNT FOR HIM!! GO LIVERPOOL!!! GO WIN THE 19TH!!

and the 6th ................ :D
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anti-hero » Sun May 14, 2006 4:17 am

GER-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Where would we be without him?

Though this performance would have ranked among the very worst of our season, this is definately one to remember.

And who could forget?

HAM-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Shined when it mattered most.

A true Liverpool Legend.
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby xd3vilx » Sun May 14, 2006 4:34 am

peewee wrote:i dont know if you had the same footage as us in asia but after the presentation cisse was looking at his medal and hyppia walked towrds him, cisse looked at the medal as though someone had walked in his house on christmas day and sh1t on his kids. he had a look of total disdain like he was expecting more from the medal. hyppia just walked away.

the guy is a whinger

nah...i think he was just joking around...
xd3vilx
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Sun May 14, 2006 4:37 am

oakton wrote:i agree, moro and crouch has to go, both of them useless, we need decent strikers!

Crouch doesn't need to go, he's been good for us all season. We can't expect him to have a dominate game everytime.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Sun May 14, 2006 4:45 am

jonnymac1979 wrote:I've got nothing but respect for West Ham after their part in today's final.  They were fantastic and tested us to the end.  We won of course but they should take nothing away from their performances as a team or as individuals.  They were great all over the park, especially their wide players, and Ashton before he was substituted.

I actually tried to innocently log on to one of their message boards before but I was banned.  Can't think why.  Weren't going to take the piss or nothing, it's not my style.  I wanted to congratulate them.  Any one know of a friendlier link who'd let me log on?

Fair enough their goals might have been a bit cheeky compared to ours but that's football.  Take nothing away from West Ham.  I hold my hands up, they were worthy opponents and not the pushover the hyped-up media predicted.

Same here, West Ham have had a suprisingly brilliant season. To be promoted and then to qualify for UEFA Cup is amazing. They thoroughly deserve to be in top flight and thank them for being a part of one  of the most exciting FA cup finals in years.
You'll never walk alone.

AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Sun May 14, 2006 4:48 am

ivor_the_injun wrote:Reina: 6 - Clearly at fault for at least 2 of the 3 goals, although obviously very unlucky with the third. Stunning save late on from Harewood, and a star turn in the shoot out. He'll get good press tomorrow, but the bottom line is that he gifted West Ham a 2 goal start.

I could blame him for the own goal coz Carra got in the way, but the Konchesky goal was a freakish goal and Reina was caught out of position.
You'll never walk alone.

AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion