LIVERPOOL  V  WEST HAM UNITED - FA CUP FINAL Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redsince2001 » Sat May 13, 2006 8:07 pm

if u  dont know who COTW is then goto page 8 of this thread (or thereabouts).
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby redsince2001 » Sat May 13, 2006 8:13 pm

anyway get back to celebrating now.
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sat May 13, 2006 8:14 pm

Phenomenal, phenomenal final. Mistakes and injuries all over the place, but they just helped in making it a classic.

After half time, Reina turned what had been his worst performance for the club into one of his best. The save from Harewood was just phenomenal, and his saves in the shootout were just sublime. I always laugh about how early and how far Dudek came off his line in Istanbul for the pens, but apart from the last save (he came forward a yard or two), Reina was just textbook.

Frankly, Finnan apart, our defence was a shambles today. Alonso and Kewell were pretty anonymous before they went off, Sissoko was very ordinary, and Cisse (apart from the goal), Crouch (apart from the disallowed goal) and Morientes were all sub-par.

Gerrard, however, was simply phenomenal. His first goal was emphatic enough, but where the hell did the equaliser come from? I'd completely resigned myself to losing, was in the middle of b*llocking a kid I was babysitting for, and suddenly the roof came off my house. A minute earlier he looked like he couldn't walk, and suddenly he found the strike of the decade. Even when cramp had killed the match as a spectacle, he was still trying to find space, and was making things happen. He scored a wonderful pen in the shootout as well. I hate reading articles about this one guy dragging a sub-standard team to victory on his own, but there's a lot to be said for that argument today. We were poor, but he was his typical iconic self, cropping up at the important moments. What a player!

Am relieved that Jamie's own goal and the disallowed Crouch effort are no longer massive talking points, as both players have had a wonderful season, and it'd be a cruel way for them to end. Massive respect to West Ham as well, who played out of their skins and would have been worthy winners in my eyes after the way they started the game. Am obviously glad that Konchesky's fluke wasn't the winner, but a great occasion like today really deserved a goal as mesmerising as Gerrard's second. Apart from the disallowed Crouch goal, I thought the officials played their part, and they kept it moving at an eye-popping rate. Just a few cards sprinkled over 120 minutes, and although it was a physical game at times, it was played in exactly the right kind of spirit.

A wonderful day for Liverpool Football Club, and a wonderful, wonderful day for football as a whole. Well done to both teams, but particularly kudos to Reina and Gerrard. I'm just f*cking elated. :D
ivor_the_injun

Postby redsince2001 » Sat May 13, 2006 8:16 pm

Gerrard bailed us out today,but we need to strenghten bigtime in the summer if we are to win the PREM.
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby neil » Sat May 13, 2006 8:21 pm

supersub wrote:  Good Luck has followed the hotel ever since;even when the countryside of Wales was struck down by foot and mouth,it was lucky for the hotel that no live-stock had pre-booked any rooms for the forthcoming Stereophonics concert.

I am fully aware that I am in a particularly 'good mood' however its worth noting that I found this piece really quite funny
Last edited by neil on Sat May 13, 2006 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Sat May 13, 2006 8:58 pm

WHHHHOOOOOOOO HHHHHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
What a game! That was so cool and a close second to 25.05.05 imho.

WHEN YOU WALK,
THROUGH THE STORM,
HOLD YOUR HEAD UP HIGH...

Stevie G and Pepe were phenominal. Rafa got it right and credit to the Hammers coz they were top draw opposition today and they've got a good, young and predominantly English team which is good for the future of the international game. But when we've got Stevie, who can win any game on his own if he wants to, the state of England, and more importantly Liverpool, is safe and more than healthy. Now let's go win no. 19 next season!

Allow me to reiterate:

WWWWHHHHOOOOO HHHHHOOOOOO!!!!!
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby shanks74 » Sat May 13, 2006 9:17 pm

Just recovering after a marathon of a game and full of ale,played WATC very loud-well done you boys !!!!!!!!!!
shanks74

Postby kunilson » Sat May 13, 2006 9:25 pm

I know sequels to great films tend to be of lesser quality......

Well for me, the champions league final last year was packed full of the entertainment you would get in a great film. Passion, emotion, sorrow, euphoria........and it makes you think at the end...

This was a worthy sequel to last year's final. Look how far we have come in 2 seasons!?!? unbelievable.

the passion of a team, and its fans...are what makes a team great. never lie down, stand up tall.

YNWA.
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby lakes10 » Sat May 13, 2006 9:36 pm

A post from a west ham forum

Rightback

My Posts: 359
Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject:   

Steven Gerrard: Kudos

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ironic that Pardew singled him out as the only difference between the two sides. And so it proved to be. Of all the people you would not want those two loose balls to drop to....

A wonderful game, a wonderful peformance from both sides and a real shame that it had to be decided on pens.

So near, yet so far. Disappointed, but not gutted. We can be proud of our players and our club for what we've achieved in the last twelve months. We gave the FA Cup the respect it deserves this year and I'm delighted it will go down as one of the greatest.

Well done to Liverpool, as much as it pains me to say it. But Gerrard's performance today was quite exceptional. A goal as sweet as you will see for a long time. And I agree with the poster who said that if he doesn't produce that kind of performance for England, I will also be majorly pis*ed off.
Last edited by lakes10 on Sat May 13, 2006 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sat May 13, 2006 9:57 pm

I've got nothing but respect for West Ham after their part in today's final.  They were fantastic and tested us to the end.  We won of course but they should take nothing away from their performances as a team or as individuals.  They were great all over the park, especially their wide players, and Ashton before he was substituted.

I actually tried to innocently log on to one of their message boards before but I was banned.  Can't think why.  Weren't going to take the piss or nothing, it's not my style.  I wanted to congratulate them.  Any one know of a friendlier link who'd let me log on?

Fair enough their goals might have been a bit cheeky compared to ours but that's football.  Take nothing away from West Ham.  I hold my hands up, they were worthy opponents and not the pushover the hyped-up media predicted.
jonnymac1979

Postby red_mad_head » Sat May 13, 2006 9:59 pm

right on!!!  :hearts to hammers
red_mad_head

Postby Alonso14 » Sat May 13, 2006 10:03 pm

There are alot of differences between Gerrard and Lampard, I think the most significant is that Steive plays FOR the team, Lampard plays for himself.

People will say Lampard scored 20 in the premiership, but I’ll tell them he is the player who shoots more then he passes.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Sat May 13, 2006 10:31 pm

I need a thesaurus to describe that, even Stuart Hall could not describe that properly.

West ham were simply brilliant and at several points I thought we could not win it. I crapped a brick every time Yossi Benayoun got the ball he was immense Reo-Coker was great as well credit to the finals and brilliant ro produce a game with such drama. Almost upset that somebody had to loose.

However saying that we did gift them goals :D Carra and Reina whoopsies but they were great none the less. Liverpool players looked kinda shell shocked that west ham were playing this well but Sissoko was awsome he held our midfield/ defensive line brillinatly and help break up attacks (the guy had endless stamina he just keeps running). Gerrard what can I say bailed us out I suppose but absolutly outstanding.

Being Reinas No.1 Fan I have to say his fault for the second should have held it, then composed himself like david seaman for the third, but made a beautiful save in extra time and then saved the penalties so for me he rediemed himself.

Reina         6
Finnan       7
Carra         7
Hyypia       8
Riise          6
Gerrard      9
Sissoko      9
Alonso       6
Kewell       5 (injured tho)
Crouch      6
Cisse        7

Kromkamp  8
Hamann     8
Morientes   6
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Sat May 13, 2006 10:52 pm

Reina         7, apart from one mistake he had a good game

Finnan       7 solid and got up field a lot

Carra         6, not one of his best game, seemed come in and out of the game

Hyypia       8  good game, and look the most fit at the end

Riise          8, run his legs off, must have coverd the more than any other player.

Gerrard      10 yes 10, i dont think i have ever given a 10 before, not sure what our team would be like withoutout him over a season

Sissoko      8, great game but not sure where he was in the first half

Alonso       5, not fit, and i dont think he should have been picked

Kewell       5 been on form all year till today, big shame , was not in the game much in the first half  and got hurt coming back on for the 2nd half

Crouch      7 had a good game and not sure why he was taken off

Cisse        7 great goal  but for a man with such pace did not see him use it much in the first half and seemed to be out on his feet at the end.

Kromkamp  8, not liked the guy till today, had a great game the best i have seen him play

Hamann     8  strong strong strong, just made me feel good when he come on when we was down.

Morientes   5 got himself in thje right place at the right time but seemed never to get the shot off.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Sat May 13, 2006 11:54 pm

OHHH YEAH, WE WON THE FA CUP FOR THE 7TH TIME!!!! WELL PLAYED WEST HAM BUT ONCE AGAIN THE MIGHTY LIVERPOOL HAVE COME OUT ON TOP GERRARD IS A F.UCKING LEGEND WE SHOULD THANK GOD HE STAYED HERE, WE WOULDNT HAVE WON TODAY IF IT WASNT FOR HIM!! GO LIVERPOOL!!! GO WIN THE 19TH!!
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion