JOHN FLANAGAN - Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Johnny Boy » Wed May 18, 2011 1:27 pm

Do you guys still think we will sign a left back in the summer?

I am not so sure now, we seem to have plenty of options at right back so we could see Johnson perhaps move over to the left with Robinson as back up.
Leaving Flanagan and Kelly for the right.

I think Flanno has been brilliant, a bit ropey first half against Newcastle but he did equally as well at left back in the second half.
Johnny Boy
LFC Super Member

Postby neil » Wed May 18, 2011 1:46 pm

I agree he had done well and has surely helped to ensure insua isnt seen again. We should still be looking to bring a senior left back though, Inzogbia would be my choice.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed May 18, 2011 1:57 pm

neil wrote:I agree he had done well and has surely helped to ensure insua isnt seen again. We should still be looking to bring a senior left back though, Inzogbia would be my choice.

Not Charles N'Zogbia the left winger mate?
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Wed May 18, 2011 2:38 pm

stmichael wrote:it's weird in a way that we seem to have produced more right backs through the academy than any other position. in the past we've had otsemobor and darby. now we've got flanagan and kelly (even though he's really a CB). martin kelly is a more gifted footballer but i see him as a long term replacement for carra.

i agree that flanagan potentially the long term answer at right back though. yes he's had a few rocky moments but in general his decision making has been exemplary. johnson is an established england international and yet his decision making leaves a lot to be desired at times.

Exactly
Ive felt as comfortable, if not more comfortable with Flanagan at right back as I have with Johnson
Thommo's perm

Postby Waldo » Wed May 18, 2011 3:20 pm

What the emergence of Flannigan (and Robinson) has done is make the requirement for multiple defensive signings less urgent and we have a number of options for cover at the back. I would say however that, unless Glen Johnson is happy to continue at LB which I doubt, then we need to look to bring in someone.

That would leave us with Glen Johnson, Martin Kelly and Jack Robinson at RB and the option to do one of two things -

1. We sell GJohnson and have Kelly and Robinson at RB
2. We keep Johnson, move Kelly into CB (his preferred position) and purchase a senior RB
3. Johnson moves to LB with Flannigan as cover, we have Kelly and Robinson at RB and we buy a new centre half

I don't have any great issues with Johnson other he is defensively fragile and, with us looking to bring in genuine attacking width this summer, I think we need the FB positions to be solid and defensive as opposed to having someone like Johnson who is not the best defensively.

Anyway...what we have is plenty of options and that is before Kenny dips his toes in the transfer market

:) :)
Waldo
LFC Super Member

Postby Raoul » Wed May 18, 2011 3:40 pm

Johnny Boy wrote:Do you guys still think we will sign a left back in the summer?

I am not so sure now, we seem to have plenty of options at right back so we could see Johnson perhaps move over to the left with Robinson as back up.
Leaving Flanagan and Kelly for the right.

I think Flanno has been brilliant, a bit ropey first half against Newcastle but he did equally as well at left back in the second half.

Yes, we'll sign someone I hope.

Johnson has played well there, but we need a proper LB, both for the sake of depth, as well as just someone who is really comfortable crossing on their left foot.

I'm comfortable with Johnson, Robinson, Flanagan, Insua (if he ever returns) as back up but I'd like one more player of real quality in there. Shame about Aurelio, he could've been the man.
Last edited by Raoul on Wed May 18, 2011 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed May 18, 2011 3:51 pm

Waldo wrote:What the emergence of Flannigan (and Robinson) has done is make the requirement for multiple defensive signings less urgent and we have a number of options for cover at the back. I would say however that, unless Glen Johnson is happy to continue at LB which I doubt, then we need to look to bring in someone.

That would leave us with Glen Johnson, Martin Kelly and Jack Robinson at RB and the option to do one of two things -

1. We sell GJohnson and have Kelly and Robinson at RB
2. We keep Johnson, move Kelly into CB (his preferred position) and purchase a senior RB
3. Johnson moves to LB with Flannigan as cover, we have Kelly and Robinson at RB and we buy a new centre half

I don't have any great issues with Johnson other he is defensively fragile and, with us looking to bring in genuine attacking width this summer, I think we need the FB positions to be solid and defensive as opposed to having someone like Johnson who is not the best defensively.

Anyway...what we have is plenty of options and that is before Kenny dips his toes in the transfer market

:) :)

Robinson is a left back mate so i think that's where we will see him next year. Agree on Jonno though, if we've got Flanagan and Kelly coming through he might find himself out of the team if he's not on his game.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Wed May 18, 2011 4:23 pm

Got to say I prefer Robbo of the two and I'm surprised he hasn't had an equally consistent run in the side like Flanno. His performance against Arsenal was class especially given the circumstances. He's the better prospect imo.

Though for Flanagan to come into the side straight from the youth side with no reserve team experience is hugely encouraging as well. I reckon he needs protected when he makes mistakes tho, young lads thrive on confidence, I'm sure Kenny will keep his head on straight.

Don't want either to fall into the same trap as Insua
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby neil » Wed May 18, 2011 7:51 pm

Scottbot wrote:
neil wrote:I agree he had done well and has surely helped to ensure insua isnt seen again. We should still be looking to bring a senior left back though, Inzogbia would be my choice.

its an attacking line up no?  :D
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed May 18, 2011 8:00 pm

I must have been watching a diffderent player. Hes good, but to call faultless, best in premiership and all that, its...erm... verging on the insane
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed May 18, 2011 8:22 pm

the lad has done ok, nothing more, nothing less. I expect him to improve as he gets more experince, but we still need another full back.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed May 18, 2011 9:02 pm

neil wrote:
Scottbot wrote:

its an attacking line up no?  :D

Imagine that, Jonno at righ-back and Nzogbia on the left. All i'm saying is we'd better not lose the ball!
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed May 18, 2011 9:07 pm

dawson99 wrote:I must have been watching a diffderent player. Hes good, but to call faultless, best in premiership and all that, its...erm... verging on the insane

But you've gone the other way and said he isn't the answer next season and that he isn't ready Daws. When the truth is he's been playing as well as just about anybody in the side the past 6-7 games since he's been in there. Young players always get a big dollop of praise when they do well coz it's fuelled with hope, it was the same when Kelly was doing so well in the middle part of the season.

Despite that, he looks a cracking prospect. I wathced him play for the youth side a few times on lfc.tv earlier in the season and the truth is he has actually better playing in the senior side as strange as that may sound.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Wed May 18, 2011 9:59 pm

The lad has been thrown in at the deep end without water wings in the hardest, most hostile league in the world. He has had to cope with 2 of the top 4 teams in the league and in his six appearances has had 4 wins a draw and a loss.
He has not done "ok" or even been, in my opinion "good". I think he has been outstanding considering who he is and what experience he has had. Of course he has made mistakes and is not the best in the prem, but I will repeat, I watch MOTD every week and have seen seasoned, experienced international professionals who havent been as good as Flanagan in his short time as a first team player.
Rejoice and accept that we have found a natural in our own back yard.
Ar'seholes!
:D
Thommo's perm

Postby PabloMedina28 » Tue May 24, 2011 12:18 pm

jajajaja
PabloMedina28
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion