JOHN FLANAGAN - Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby supersub » Tue May 17, 2011 2:14 pm

Just to clarify RB's quote...it was on current form and to be perfectly truthful that's not a bad assessment given that the fullbacks from the other 19 teams wouldn't be able to improve on his performances....it's clear some members on here will refute such claims just to take the opposite stance as a means to wind up.......One things for sure if he had an Arsenal shirt on the english press would be hailing him from every pulpit...charlie nicholas would've creamed over Jeff on many occassions
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Tue May 17, 2011 2:17 pm

supersub wrote:Just to clarify RB's quote...it was on current form and to be perfectly truthful that's not a bad assessment given that the fullbacks from the other 19 teams wouldn't be able to improve on his performances....it's clear some members on here will refute such claims just to take the opposite stance as a means to wind up.......One things for sure if he had an Arsenal shirt on the english press would be hailing him from every pulpit...charlie nicholas would've creamed over Jeff on many occassions

..in your opinion.

The board is divided on current form but united on the fact the potential is awesome, lets leave it at that
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Tue May 17, 2011 2:28 pm

dawson99 wrote:
supersub wrote:Just to clarify RB's quote...it was on current form and to be perfectly truthful that's not a bad assessment given that the fullbacks from the other 19 teams wouldn't be able to improve on his performances....it's clear some members on here will refute such claims just to take the opposite stance as a means to wind up.......One things for sure if he had an Arsenal shirt on the english press would be hailing him from every pulpit...charlie nicholas would've creamed over Jeff on many occassions

..in your opinion.

The board is divided on current form but united on the fact the potential is awesome, lets leave it at that

:nod

Yes, he has loads of potential. And has been very good in his position, of that there is no doubt.

However there is no agenda to ''wind'' anybody up or to take an opposing ''stance'' unless of course, ludicrous claims are made.

Let's give the lad time and watch him develop, the burden and pressure of tags such as 'best FB in league' or whatever can be more of a hindrance than help. Especially if he gets wind of it.  :D
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby supersub » Tue May 17, 2011 2:49 pm

dawson99 wrote:The board is divided on current form but united on the fact the potential is awesome, lets leave it at that

Who on the board thinks his current form is unacceptable but his potential is awesome..

I merely think he has played outstandingly well....hasn't faltered under pressure...has performed better than most full backs I've seen at Anfield this season including a fair few of our own....of course he has and will make the odd mistake but tell me a player past or present that has never made a mistake......

I'm just glad Kenny & Steve think he's worth a place
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Tue May 17, 2011 2:52 pm

supersub wrote:
dawson99 wrote:The board is divided on current form but united on the fact the potential is awesome, lets leave it at that

Who on the board thinks his current form is unacceptable but his potential is awesome..

I merely think he has played outstandingly well....hasn't faltered under pressure...has performed better than most full backs I've seen at Anfield this season including a fair few of our own....of course he has and will make the odd mistake but tell me a player past or present that has never made a mistake......

I'm just glad Kenny & Steve think he's worth a place

FFS no one said unnacceptable,w e're just saying he ain't the finished article and the wet dream some people are saying. He shouldnt be put on the highest pedastal after a great entrance, albeit one with imistakes as you would see from a newcomer youngun
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Tue May 17, 2011 3:08 pm

bit panicky, caught in possession a few times against Newcastle, I got the impression they actually targeted him when he received the ball.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Tue May 17, 2011 3:27 pm

neil wrote:bit panicky, caught in possession a few times against Newcastle, I got the impression they actually targeted him when he received the ball.

He did have a patch against Newcastle and it would have been easy to take the lad off...there were a few calls for that to happen but hats off to Kenny for just swapping the fullbacks but sticking with JF, because the second half he was excellent despite the early booking hanging over his head....it's the tough pressure situations that reveals the quality of the player and he has answered a lot of questions thrown his way.

I don't see anyone wet dreaming...I think a few need to choose their words wisely because they seem to be exaggerating a little  :laugh:
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Tue May 17, 2011 4:00 pm

supersub wrote:
neil wrote:bit panicky, caught in possession a few times against Newcastle, I got the impression they actually targeted him when he received the ball.

He did have a patch against Newcastle and it would have been easy to take the lad off...there were a few calls for that to happen but hats off to Kenny for just swapping the fullbacks but sticking with JF, because the second half he was excellent despite the early booking hanging over his head....it's the tough pressure situations that reveals the quality of the player and he has answered a lot of questions thrown his way.

I don't see anyone wet dreaming...I think a few need to choose their words wisely because they seem to be exaggerating a little  :laugh:

pot, kettle
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue May 17, 2011 4:19 pm

I've been reasonably impressed with the lad.  He's been thrown in at the deep end and done quite well for a young fellow still learning his craft.  Has he been flawless?  No.  But he has been better than I would have expected for one so inexperienced over a considerable run of games.  With that said, I think any suggestions that he might be the best FB in the league on current form or during his recent run of games is premature.  I might even go so far as to suggest that young Martin Kelly was more impressive during his run in the side but that's beside the point: it's clear that Flanagan's got a real chance of making the bit time and that's exciting.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby supersub » Tue May 17, 2011 4:29 pm

dawson99 wrote:pot, kettle

I think it best I correct a popular misunderstanding...

A pot is nothing like a kettle...

Pot maybe black but the kettle is definitely RED
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby metalhead » Tue May 17, 2011 9:29 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:The Lad was different class against Spurs ,the  pace he showed was actually frightening . I would say for me personally  this Lad has already more than justified Kennys decision to make him a regular starter ,and he's taken  great strides in cementing his place in the team for the foreseeable future ... Man of the Match against Spurs just pipping Kuyt ,and taking the lions share of the plaudits of that fella takes some doing .....   :D

I think he is good mate, but I wouldn't go OTT saying he is one of the best in the league just yet :D  However, your very generous in your ratings  :laugh:

Potentially, I think he will be an excellent club player
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue May 17, 2011 10:56 pm

Total lack of first team experience
Thrown in at the deep end when we needed top performances
Unbelievable pressure not to fu'ck up and let the team and the fans down
I believe he has passed these tests with flying colours and I still maintain that seasoned experienced full backs have fu'cked up week after week while he has quietly gone about his business.
My late entrant for player of the season
:;):
Thommo's perm

Postby Scottbot » Wed May 18, 2011 12:46 pm

dawson99 wrote:not good enough at the moment by far. Been caught out way too many times to be anywhere near first choice.

But he was dunked straight into the deep end and the kid obviously has heart. Needs someone to show him more, if we had someone like Clichy (im not the biggest fan but) he could show him how to play so much better.

I think this is definately one where he is being over hyped.

He is one for the future, but the future aint yet

Absolute rubbish Daws, this kid is the real deal. He's been a key member of a back four that hadn't put a foot wrong up until the Spurs game at the weekend. He's a little bit lightweight (but still a strong little bugger) but that's no surprise given his age but for me, on the basis of what we've seen this season, he is a better prospect than young Kelly who was doing a fantastic job himself until his injury.

I've been very impressed with this kid. He's tenacious, surprisingly good positionally, has decent pace, he gets his head up early and can pick a pass and you can see him growing in confidence as an attakcing player.

If I were Glen Johnson i'd be worried about my place in the side next season with Flano, Kelly and young Robinson coming through we're looking pretty decent in the full-back department. What odds on seeing a Robinson, Carra, Kelly, Flano back four at some stage next season!?
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed May 18, 2011 12:47 pm

supersub wrote:
Thommo's perm wrote:My point is that as young as he is, he is as good as most seasoned right backs in the league already
:;):

Totally agree......he most definitely does not look out of place.......

100% agree. He's the real deal and I believe he will play mroe games at RB then any of our other players next season so long as he stays fit.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed May 18, 2011 12:54 pm

it's weird in a way that we seem to have produced more right backs through the academy than any other position. in the past we've had otsemobor and darby. now we've got flanagan and kelly (even though he's really a CB). martin kelly is a more gifted footballer but i see him as a long term replacement for carra.

i agree that flanagan potentially the long term answer at right back though. yes he's had a few rocky moments but in general his decision making has been exemplary. johnson is an established england international and yet his decision making leaves a lot to be desired at times.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion