Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby ConnO'var » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:47 am

Its a horrible result today and we got it horribly wrong in the tactics and team selection.
Kolo getting injured didn't help either. Emotions are running high and there are many who have put the blame squarely at Rodgers' door.... quite correctly IMO.

But that is now... I am still furious. Tomorrow when it is a new day and the sun comes out, I MAY feel differently. I doubt it though. He has had his chance and more than enough funds to make our squad stronger but has failed miserably. Sure, the transfer committee needs to shoulder the blame too. But we have known for quite some time that we lack steel in the middle and we desperately needed to replace Suarez. We did neither. Murphy then raised his head and Sturridge got injured leaving us horribly bare upfront. We took a gamble on a good player in Mario (if you forget his social idiocies)... and the proceeded to play him in a system where he is so ill suited. So the cupboard is bare upfront. Rodgers has been woefully found out. I have never liked his soundbites and these days they are getting worse. I wonder if he started to believe in his own press or if he is being distracted on the personal front.... Frankly I don't care.

He is not the man for the job any more as I don't think he can turn us around.
For those who are pining for the return of Rafa, I admire your belief. Me personally? I hope not... IMO, Rafa is not what this club needs. Honestly, I hope he never returns... i have absolutely no time for him at all.

my 2p worth.
ConnO'var

Postby eds » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:48 am

Reg » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:07 am wrote:Eds, I honestly believe if they intended to replace Gerrard with a major impact play maker they'd have done so by now. Instead they're wringing every last drop of juice out of Stevie then expect Hendo to take over. Like with Suarez, lose a superstar and replace with a mediocre player. Sadly it shows as I said some time ago, that the owners want to emulate the Arsenal business plan more than be champions.

Kind of summarises what i said in my last sentence Reginald.

I did forgot to include our owners alongside manager, structures, club management and scouts. 

The whole club needs a clean out :down:
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby jacdaniel » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:39 am

I don't think the problems are as bad as we believe.
We made one huge mistake by not signing a striker that fits our system.  Maybe we gambled a bit on Sturridge staying fit.
With Sturridge and Balotelli up front we'd have had plenty more performances like the Spurs game.
And our goalkeeper is cack which causes lots of issues. 

Once we have a pacy striker back we can start attacking / pressing and go back to the machine we were last season. 
I think the owners will realise this. 

We've seen how much of a disaster it can turn out to be when you sack a good manager the second things aren't working out.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby SkippyRed » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:39 am

I am not sure if the job is too big for Rodgers. Last year showed the kind of manager he can be. Sure he had Suarez but he had a smaller squad to work with as well.

Whilst I think Rodgers is one of the best young managers going around, and one of the best philosophers of the game, I think he has his limitations which he needs to address other wise he is going to get himself sacked. The first thing he needs to do is re design his game plan and tactics. They haven't worked yet, and they probably won't work, so go back to what worked last year, our diamond formation and start from the ground up.

He has a good striker in Balotelli, who has never been successful in leading the front line by himself at any club he has played for. I think that Balotelli's best performance for us, was against Spurs when he had Sturridge up front with him. Whilst Danny is out, Balo should be played (when he returns) with Borini/Lambert/Sterling in our diamond to get back to the basics of a Rodgers structure that has been successful.

He also needs to address his short fallings in the transfer window, and quick, because he has another one approaching where he could just as easily embarrass himself again.

I voted as not sure. I honestly think if he goes back to his basics and what worked last year that he can dig himself out of the hole, and providing he makes a couple of decent signings. I have faith he can get us fighting for the top 4 spot again. Just.
SkippyRed
LFC Advanced Member

Postby RedAnt » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:23 am

I finally voted yes. I'd imagine he will be given the Manure game, probably the Arsenal game and then be sacked.
There's no sense in a new manager coming in and getting hammered by United and Arsenal using BR's useless squad, so I'd think we'll have a new manager ready for the transfer window.
Wether BR is a good coach or not doesn't really matter at this point. Too much is broken.
He's lost the dressing room. Two holding midfielders in a must win home match means he doesn't trust the defence. And if in the dressing room Brendan employs his media-handling style, I'd not be surprised if the players think he's a bit of a knob, shouldering the blame on one hand and then blaming the players for not making the system work on the other.
He's had a go. Sadly, his failure to learn and adapt means he can't grow further as a manager.
Is the job too big? ... BR is a bonsai tree in the middle of a pine forest.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby Dundreamin is back » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:35 am

I ain't felt this bad since the morning after the Athens final waking up in a shop doorway waiting to get ferry back to Crete and having to put up all the ribbing off the blues.*i*e and mancs
Dundreamin is back
LFC Advanced Member

Postby only me » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:50 am

Voted yes.

I'm not a historian ,although love it, but BR probably fcked up the most important year in 2 decades in lfc history ,it's that bad yes.
This year should have signaled the return of liverpool to its glory days ,permanent title contender and CL member ,the fund at his disposal should have assured continuity growth and the transition from the Stevie era to a future rejovinated team. What an epic failure.
Horrendous signings ,no recognition of our weak spots ,no ability to adopt change correct while running borderline comatose,BR has flushed our future with a repetitive terrible decisions. he proved he has no plan a b or any plan for that purpose, his outrageous interviews just make it easier to kick him to the curve. His star burnt too fast too bright crashed all our dreams in record time.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Kash_Mountain » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:54 am

jacdaniel » Dec 10th, '14, 08:39 wrote:I don't think the problems are as bad as we believe.
We made one huge mistake by not signing a striker that fits our system.  Maybe we gambled a bit on Sturridge staying fit.
With Sturridge and Balotelli up front we'd have had plenty more performances like the Spurs game.
And our goalkeeper is cack which causes lots of issues. 

Once we have a pacy striker back we can start attacking / pressing and go back to the machine we were last season. 
I think the owners will realise this. 

We've seen how much of a disaster it can turn out to be when you sack a good manager the second things aren't working out.

Imo, it’s just plain crazy to think that LFC fans should be waiting around for a pacy striker to help the cause or even waiting around for DS (one player) to get back. The players we have now should be doing a job. But BR has totally messed things up. Prior to the high pressing game LFC played last season, BR dished out the same football you see the team playing now. Except this time, his stubbornness and arrogances has inflated 100 fold and he won’t change it. 

The Owners, imo, want the best for the Club, that is why they have invested vast amounts of millions on redevelopment of Anfield and taken on huge debt. They have also provided vast amounts of millions to BR and the Transfer Committee to bring in the players, unfortunately, BR and the Transfer Committee weren’t thinking big, they had the mindset of a smaller team and as a consequence, brought in average players. BR and the Transfer Committee had millions to spend, they chose quantity over quality. They could have brought in less players and just concentrate on bringing in the top quality that the Club really needed. On top of that, BR could have given some of the Academy players a go, however he seems to have shafted them big time.   All I see is a GK coming in the January Window, unless the Club sell first, then perhaps another striker can come in (FFP is looming).

The way it’s going, I think it will be lot worse if BR is kept. The Owners are looking for the right person to replace BR, they, from what i've heard, don't want a Caretaker.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:35 am

I think the club would be making a big error if they replaced Rodgers, yes he's going through a bad time atm but show me a great manager that hasn't gone through a rough patch. United fans even went as far as making banners imploring Ferguson to do one and Kendall took horrendous stick from the Goodison faithful but both managers turned things around to become the most successful managers in their respective clubs histories. Having a bad spell doesn't mean that you can't have a lot of success in the future.
Rodgers does have a lot of good managerial qualities, his philosophy is the right one, he likes to attack (that might not sound much but when you've sat through the Houllier and Hodgson era's and even to some extent the Benitez era having a manager who's default position is to have a go is a veritable God send), he gives young players a chance, he's good with the media (okay he can sound like a snake oil salesman at times but that's better than having someone constantly putting their foot in it and causing media shyte storms like Roy and even Kenny) and I think he buys into the history and traditions of the club.
I genuinely think he's been a bit unlucky in the sense that one or two events have conspired against him, firstly he did well to mould a potential title winning team from the wreckage of Kenny's regime but the star player who was the heart of the side wanted out, that meant that he would have to build an entirely new team (his second in the space of 2 seasons), then although he gets given money to spend he's not the only one spending it, then his main striker gets injured for half a season and on top of all that he's the manager who is in charge as Gerrards career winds down which was always going to be tricky for any manager to handle.
Add to all that normally reliable players having prolonged spells of poor form, players coming in who he didn't really want, new signings taking their time to find their feet, twitter storms and a fan base who once again think it's their god given right to win the title and the man has got a lot on his plate ATM, it's not a surprise that he struggling.
I believe he will turn it around though, if we stick with him I'm certain we will have another top side (that plays exciting football) at some point in the future.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:42 am

Rodgers can have no one to blame at all but himself  :nod He banged on about being patient so I knew what was to come in that 1st half last night and that was more of the turgid $h!t that has become his philosophy. We spent £45 million pounds on 2 players who can both play wide and yet he plays fooking henderson there. Its all his own doing through player recruitment and crappy tactics compounded by his ability to talk spin. With the way he treats those players they have given up on him and it is going to cost him dearly  :nod

If our owners really want to pursue this young buck thing then at least sound out quality lads like klinnsmann or de boer. If that fails then give it to rafa or someone just as experienced.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby RedAnt » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:55 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:35 am wrote:I think the club would be making a big error if they replaced Rodgers, yes he's going through a bad time atm but show me a great manager that hasn't gone through a rough patch. United fans even went as far as making banners imploring Ferguson to do one and Kendall took horrendous stick from the Goodison faithful but both managers turned things around to become the most successful managers in their respective clubs histories. Having a bad spell doesn't mean that you can't have a lot of success in the future.
Rodgers does have a lot of good managerial qualities, his philosophy is the right one, he likes to attack (that might not sound much but when you've sat through the Houllier and Hodgson era's and even to some extent the Benitez era having a manager who's default position is to have a go is a veritable God send), he gives young players a chance, he's good with the media (okay he can sound like a snake oil salesman at times but that's better than having someone constantly putting their foot in it and causing media shyte storms like Roy and even Kenny) and I think he buys into the history and traditions of the club.
I genuinely think he's been a bit unlucky in the sense that one or two events have conspired against him, firstly he did well to mould a potential title winning team from the wreckage of Kenny's regime but the star player who was the heart of the side wanted out, that meant that he would have to build an entirely new team (his second in the space of 2 seasons), then although he gets given money to spend he's not the only one spending it, then his main striker gets injured for half a season and on top of all that he's the manager who is in charge as Gerrards career winds down which was always going to be tricky for any manager to handle.
Add to all that normally reliable players having prolonged spells of poor form, players coming in who he didn't really want, new signings taking their time to find their feet, twitter storms and a fan base who once again think it's their god given right to win the title and the man has got a lot on his plate ATM, it's not a surprise that he struggling.
I believe he will turn it around though, if we stick with him I'm certain we will have another top side (that plays exciting football) at some point in the future.

Sorry mate but that post is littered with contradictions. He's not given many young kids a go. Kendall and Ferguson adapted and evolved with their teams and didn't keep hammering square pegs into round holes. Last year we were an attacking team but that has long gone. How can you claim a manager who picks a defensive side to play a must-win home game is naturally attack minded?
Last night I'd have played a 4-1-2-2-1 with lambert up front, Lucas sitting, Sterling and Marcovich coming in to support lambert from out wide and the wing backs making the width. We should have gone for it. It makes no sense. BR probably does have decent coaching qualities but something has gone seriously wrong and I very much doubt BR can put it right. It'd be different if we saw some dynamism from him, but it's all so stale and flat and the same old, week after week.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby only me » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:05 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:35 am wrote:I think the club would be making a big error if they replaced Rodgers, yes he's going through a bad time atm but show me a great manager that hasn't gone through a rough patch. United fans even went as far as making banners imploring Ferguson to do one and Kendall took horrendous stick from the Goodison faithful but both managers turned things around to become the most successful managers in their respective clubs histories. Having a bad spell doesn't mean that you can't have a lot of success in the future.

Frankly mate you protrate a picture which is disconnected from reality or grossly naive,what you describe as unlucky I call a horrendous management of a football team ,he got a Shiite loads of money to build the team of his dreams do you agree he failed miserably? What do you mean he was unlucky to lose Daniel? The lad is prone to injuries I from my insignificant place as a stupid fan called for BR sacking in the beginning of the year if he doesn't bring a world class striker so it wasn't bad luck when he was injured it was totally predictable and BR failed in bringing a crucial vital striker ,As to Gerrard was he surprised Stevie turned 34? Didn't he know he had to deal with the Stevie "problem"? FFs I opened a thread on this obvious issue...As to youngesters really? Look where he is now with youngesters as glen Toure ricky Stevie all in his starting linup it's a farce mate....and the most disturbing point is his inability to see his tactics are failing and attempt to fix them. It's pure insanity to try the same lineup same tactics and expect a different result ,ask Einstein he said that.

Unlucky is the understatement of the year mate.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Dundreamin is back » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:07 pm

Unread postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:35 am
I think the club would be making a big error if they replaced Rodgers, yes he's going through a bad time atm but show me a great manager that hasn't gone through a rough patch. United fans even went as far as making banners imploring Ferguson to do one and Kendall took horrendous stick from the Goodison faithful but both managers turned things around to become the most successful managers in their respective clubs histories. Having a bad spell doesn't mean that you can't have a lot of success in the future.
I believe he will turn it around though, if we stick with him I'm certain we will have another top side (that plays exciting football) at some point in the future. As much as I admire your faith in BR this isn't going to work. I've seen all this before the worst thing is when a manager has got it terribly wrong,won't change things do they think 45000 fans who pay a small fortune to watch the game's can see it. Last night as a example until we got the equaliser it was like a library which on important European night's is unheard of
Dundreamin is back
LFC Advanced Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:10 pm

Red ant - How can you say he doesn't give many young players a go mate? Having 19/20/21 year old players in his teams is commonplace, you wouldn't see that in Kenny or Rafa team, they'd opt for experience any day of the week.
And I said his default position is to attack, obviously ATM with strikers that can't hit a barn door and defenders that can't defend he's having to batten down the hatches and eek out results until Sturridge returns.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:17 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:10 am wrote:Red ant - How can you say he doesn't give many young players a go mate? Having 19/20/21 year old players in his teams is commonplace, you wouldn't see that in Kenny or Rafa team, they'd opt for experience any day of the week.
And I said his default position is to attack, obviously ATM with strikers that can't hit a barn door and defenders that can't defend he's having to batten down the hatches and eek out results until Sturridge returns.

Are you serious? Other then Sterling And Hendo which are young but not new comers did you see his recent linups? And you are describing our defensive and attacking predicament as if it's not HIS responsibility,who is directing the defense?who forget to buy a world class striker? Come on you know better.
only me
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion