Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:03 pm

cardiff-red » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:27 pm wrote:AVB to Anfield? Liverpool look to ex-Chelsea and Spurs boss as Brendan Rodgers replacement

LIVERPOOL may steer away from Arsenal managerial target Jurgen Klopp and go after ex-Chelsea and Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas should they dispense with Brendan Rodgers.

Klopp, who was touted as a possible target for Liverpool and the Gunners, shelved suggestions last month he would make a dramatic move to the Premier League when he said: "The only other language I speak is English a little bit and, for my type of coaching, I need the language.

"But not now, not this year, I don’t know when."

Villas-Boas, who was sacked last year by Tottenham, has enjoyed a renaissance at Zenit St Petersburg.

The Portuguese is on course to win the Russian league in his first full season in charge.

According to The Times, Liverpool's owner FSG (Fenway Sports Group) are weighing up their options and have asked Villas-Boas to provide details of his coaching methods.

They claim that Villas-Boas is currently the leading candidate to replace the beleaguered Rodgers.

It is also believed that FSG's long-term plans revolves around consistently qualifying for the Champions League.

The Reds' title hopes were effectively ended yesterday after a goalless draw at home to Sunderland, but whether FSG will keep faith in Rodgers in the long term is another matter altogether.

If they give the job to him then that just goes to show they are still clueless about football. The man has been sacked by 2 premier league clubs already
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:50 pm

red till i die!! » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:00 pm wrote:
Kash_Mountain » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:25 am wrote:Is everyone else sick and fed up with hearing the rubbish (same rubbish)  that BR comes up with post games, you know, things like
“The first half was slow in terms of ‘intensity’ and there wasn't much happening,  and,
“In the second half we pressed much better and in the right areas, but the ball wouldn't drop for us and we needed that little bit of luck."     

What is he talking about? Spend £200m and he’s still looking for a ‘wee’ bit of luck!!   Wtf. He is what is known as a sweet talker, nothing else, nothing more.

Everyone knows that the last couple of results (Leicester, Stoke) are really just papering over the cracks. Here we are again, LFC playing another team that are having issues just like those I’ve just mentioned, and what happens? Only one shot on target at Anfield (63rd min) vs Sunderland. That, by any LFC fans thinking is totally unacceptable.

If LFC were playing a team that was in form right now, and played how they played yesterday, and the previous couple of games, all LFC fans know what would have happened, yes, LFC would be ripped and shredded apart.

Why did BR not give some of the academy players a chance such as Sinclair, Yesil, Sinclair or Dunn? 

Why did he totally overload the subs bench with midfielders?  not one striker was on that bench, clueless.

Why is he relying on a 34 year old to create the ‘spark’ or ‘magic’ in each game?  What are they doing during coaching sessions?, cause it strikes me that they are not coaching the right things?

He is also relying on DS to come back cause DS is the saviour in BR’s thinking.  Well, what about the rest of the team, are they that bad, or is it the coaching and the coaching staff that are very bad?!!

Additionally, BR taking the plaudits for RS’s rise in form, then blaming everyone else except you know who when RS’s form has dipped. WTF. It’s plain to see that he is not a good Coach or Man-Manager (he is not a Manager).  A good one would have said, the credit should go to the player for working hard etc. Can you see BR’s head and nose growing that much bigger. His ego and arrogance are hurting the Club.

BR has messed up big time spending £200m and mostly buying ‘potential’  imo, he is only bidng his time because his time is already up. He’s going very soon, maybe before Christmas!!

Honestly I have been sick of listening to him since about 2 days after he got the job. I knew he was full of it during that documentary when he was having a conversation with flanagan like he was a 9 year old telling him what type of footballer he is  :laugh:
Its all talk and bull with rodgers, everything that comes out of his mouth doesn't add up, from his philosophy to the rubbish we are currently playing and yet he cannot help patting himself on the back to take all the credit for the last few results because after ludogorets he decided to go back to the basics. Mingolet has improved because he had a word with him and recently sterling has upped his game after a chat he had with him as well. we are playing like a pub side and he thinks its acceptable and deserves credit for it.
Since he has come in here i have drawn the conclusion that his management style is one of complete dictatorship, everything has to revolve around him first before the team.

To be fair to him that program wasn't his idea, he'd barely got through the doors at Melwood when it was thrown at him so is it really that surprising that he didn't come across that well. To this day I'm still amazed that Kenny okay'd that, every one of those footy fly on the wall documentaries have ended up as comedy shows, wether your talking about the City/Malcom Allison one in the early eighties, the Graham Taylor one, the John Sitton one or whatever they've all started out with the intention of being cutting edge documentaries and ended up like Mike Bassett.
Kenny must have known that.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby eds » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:52 pm

The_Rock » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:47 pm wrote:
cardiff-red » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:24 pm wrote:The Times are reporting that FSG have approached AVB - wtf ??

If FSG really replaces Rodgers with AVB....then they are seriously not fit to run this club. Rodgers, AVB, Martinez are all small time managers. There is no way we can sustain success when these coaches manage us. They might get lucky 1 year (like Rodgers last season) but in the long run they will get found out. They are gonna end up paying over the odds for average players. And you know why ? Because they are average managers. A big-time manager will know if a player has to mental ability to play for a big club. An average manager will pick players who are as average as him.

In a way, I really took rafa for granted. He signed so many good players (yes he signed aquaman among others....but look at his overall record) with a limited budget. Just imagine what he would do with $200M ? Even the king who has his fair share of failed signings didn't do that badly did he ..? (Hendo, Enrique, Suarez, Bellamy). 4 success out of 9 players bought.

If FSG don't get in managers with good CVs (we are one of the 10 biggest clubs in the world.....why do we persist average managers ?), I can't see us being a super-power in football. They have to understand. We don't need to spend insane money to win trophies. Just get a world class manager and he will get the right players (for the right money). With good tactics and set-up of team, we can challenge the madrids & munichs of the world. It makes a lot more sense to pay over the odds salary for a classy manager than to go cheap on an average coach.

The classy manager in the long run is gonna make this club save loads on players. FSG has to understand this.

This kind of highlights the point I was making about a week ago with our owners and the methods of bringing in the "people" they want at this club.

Firstly Rock you need to understand the climate and politics that govern Liverpool FC at the moment.

We have completely inept owners that understand fundamentally NOTHING about our game. They are surrounded by an army of "yes men" that make up the upper echelons of management, and they only want "yes men" like Rodgers, Martinez and AVB to coach this club. These are individuals that are more than happy to "manage" us because for them it is a massive step up in their careers, and are too young and inexperienced to challenge the owners and our upper management. That's why sadly you are not going to get "world class" managers coming in, much like you are not likely to get any "world class" players coming in either. And the reason for that is the ridiculous model we operate under these Yanks and how destructive this will eventually be to our club.

Can you imagine the likes of LVG, Ancelotti, Mourinho, Guardiola, etc keeping a straight face after being told they have 25-30m net spend every season, MUST buy young players and/or "moneyball" stat players while having no re-assurances our best players like Coutinho, Sterling and Sturridge won't be sold if the price is right! It's actually laughable that half the lemmings on this forum think that this is the right way to go. It's frightening debating with these deluded fanatics and how easily they have been brainwashed to think that success is no longer about winning trophies or competing in Europe but by the amount of money we make every season.  :no
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:36 am

eds » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:52 pm wrote:
The_Rock » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:47 pm wrote:
cardiff-red » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:24 pm wrote:The Times are reporting that FSG have approached AVB - wtf ??

If FSG really replaces Rodgers with AVB....then they are seriously not fit to run this club. Rodgers, AVB, Martinez are all small time managers. There is no way we can sustain success when these coaches manage us. They might get lucky 1 year (like Rodgers last season) but in the long run they will get found out. They are gonna end up paying over the odds for average players. And you know why ? Because they are average managers. A big-time manager will know if a player has to mental ability to play for a big club. An average manager will pick players who are as average as him.

In a way, I really took rafa for granted. He signed so many good players (yes he signed aquaman among others....but look at his overall record) with a limited budget. Just imagine what he would do with $200M ? Even the king who has his fair share of failed signings didn't do that badly did he ..? (Hendo, Enrique, Suarez, Bellamy). 4 success out of 9 players bought.

If FSG don't get in managers with good CVs (we are one of the 10 biggest clubs in the world.....why do we persist average managers ?), I can't see us being a super-power in football. They have to understand. We don't need to spend insane money to win trophies. Just get a world class manager and he will get the right players (for the right money). With good tactics and set-up of team, we can challenge the madrids & munichs of the world. It makes a lot more sense to pay over the odds salary for a classy manager than to go cheap on an average coach.

The classy manager in the long run is gonna make this club save loads on players. FSG has to understand this.

This kind of highlights the point I was making about a week ago with our owners and the methods of bringing in the "people" they want at this club.

Firstly Rock you need to understand the climate and politics that govern Liverpool FC at the moment.

We have completely inept owners that understand fundamentally NOTHING about our game. They are surrounded by an army of "yes men" that make up the upper echelons of management, and they only want "yes men" like Rodgers, Martinez and AVB to coach this club. These are individuals that are more than happy to "manage" us because for them it is a massive step up in their careers, and are too young and inexperienced to challenge the owners and our upper management. That's why sadly you are not going to get "world class" managers coming in, much like you are not likely to get any "world class" players coming in either. And the reason for that is the ridiculous model we operate under these Yanks and how destructive this will eventually be to our club.

Can you imagine the likes of LVG, Ancelotti, Mourinho, Guardiola, etc keeping a straight face after being told they have 25-30m net spend every season, MUST buy young players and/or "moneyball" stat players while having no re-assurances our best players like Coutinho, Sterling and Sturridge won't be sold if the price is right! It's actually laughable that half the lemmings on this forum think that this is the right way to go. It's frightening debating with these deluded fanatics and how easily they have been brainwashed to think that success is no longer about winning trophies or competing in Europe but by the amount of money we make every season.  :no

Our transfer policy is driven by FFPR. We already are ring investigated by FIFA based on last years accounts.

You cannot spend more than you make, even if your owners are billionaire Arabs. Ask Man City.

I don't absolve the management or owners from our plight but I do have to comment when dopey fans on message boards fail to grasp the basics.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:27 am

And here you are jumping to conclusions like a dope yourself.

I am not an advocate of getting in billionaire owners to spend a s**tload like Chelsea did a decade ago or Man City have done recently. Not that they can now, with the current FFP rules under way. That's what YOU are reading into my comments as you presume me to be like any other lemming who thinks getting a rich Arab/Russian/American/etc buying our club will solve all our problems.  :laugh:

I am just pointing out the major deficiencies in the flawed model that FSG are trying to implement. With the right owners, right investment, right manager and right strategy we would be in a much, much better position to compete with the world's best clubs. FSG, Rodgers and this "Moneyball" nonsense will only lead this club to oblivion.
Last edited by eds on Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

eds

Postby Dundreamin is back » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:11 am

I,'ve just been looking at premiership table of December 2010 when Hodgson was at the helm. P 18 pts 22. Today's table P 15 Pts 21. So we are teading water if tomorrow we don't beat Basle. BR should do the honourable thing and resign,if he won't then FSG should terminate his contract pronto. Put Kenny back in as caretaker manager and in the summer get Rafa back. After all we could do worse and get a yes man like Hodgson or a total b.ullshiter like we have now. Because something HAS to be done we cannot carry on like this
Dundreamin is back
LFC Advanced Member

Postby eds » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:14 am

Dundreamin is back » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:11 am wrote:I,'ve just been looking at premiership table of December 2010 when Hodgson was at the helm. P 18 pts 22. Today's table P 15 Pts 21. So we are teading water if tomorrow we don't beat Basle. BR should do the honourable thing and resign,if he won't then FSG should terminate his contract pronto. Put Kenny back in as caretaker manager and in the summer get Rafa back. After all we could do worse and get a yes man like Hodgson or a total b.ullshiter like we have now. Because something HAS to be done we cannot carry on like this

Benitez was not interviewed when FSG had a chance to interview him a few seasons back.

You can look at all the things he had to say publicly about Twiddle Dee and Twiddle Dum to see he is definitely NOT a "yes man"

So instead they opted to interview just Martinez and Rodgers.

Nothing has changed with Henry and co, fans thinking that Benitez will come back to the club to "save the day" are seriously kidding themselves.  :no

eds

Postby Kash_Mountain » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:01 am

eds » Dec 8th, '14, 07:14 wrote:
Dundreamin is back » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:11 am wrote:I,'ve just been looking at premiership table of December 2010 when Hodgson was at the helm. P 18 pts 22. Today's table P 15 Pts 21. So we are teading water if tomorrow we don't beat Basle. BR should do the honourable thing and resign,if he won't then FSG should terminate his contract pronto. Put Kenny back in as caretaker manager and in the summer get Rafa back. After all we could do worse and get a yes man like Hodgson or a total b.ullshiter like we have now. Because something HAS to be done we cannot carry on like this

Benitez was not interviewed when FSG had a chance to interview him a few seasons back.

You can look at all the things he had to say publicly about Twiddle Dee and Twiddle Dum to see he is definitely NOT a "yes man"

Nothing has changed with Henry and co, fans thinking that Benitez will come back to the club to "save the day" are seriously kidding themselves.  :no

It won't be Rafa or AVB. I believe the Owners are looking (potentially) at Frank De Boer.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby Reg » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:03 am

Let's hope it's all internet rumour... I can't believe the owners would discard a manager 'before christmas' having just allowed him to spend 100+ million. Change the coaching staff, change the scouts, blame the tea lady but shooting the manager is certainly the highest profile way of responding, but not sure it's the most productive way to approach the problem.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby killerp » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:03 am

Dundreamin is back » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:11 am wrote:Put Kenny back in as caretaker manager...

I don't think we can survive another caretaker stint from Kenny... besides being club ambassador suits him so well, why ruin a good thing  :eyebrow
killerp

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:57 am

Kash_Mountain » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:01 am wrote:
eds » Dec 8th, '14, 07:14 wrote:

It won't be Rafa or AVB. I believe the Owners are looking (potentially) at Frank De Boer.

Whilst you might be right, I never quite understand where the certainty comes from with some posters.

We all read the same papers.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kopite-Jud » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:29 pm

I'm gonna throw this out there now...

Bring back Rafa.

a second coming isn't always a bad thing... look at Maureen at Chelsea.

I want a man who knows how to make a team difficult to beat and is not afraid of ego's.

Give him some money and go for it. None of this god awful transfer comitee we've got now.

Not buying dross for the best part of £200M. 

and AVB isn't good enough for Spurs/Chelsea he's not good enough for us
Kopite-Jud

Postby Octsky » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:19 pm

i rather take rafa now then avb,
avb should never be allow to manage any clubs.

br was about 2 to 3 games away from the sack when he realised that lucas is the best man for dm,
gerrard the best man for attacking mid and lovren + moreno always have a hand in our goals conceded.
i dont blame him for the bet on mario, we bought him for 16m if he performs we can sell him for 40m if not
we can dump him for no less than 14m.

but i do blame him for the bet that sturridge will be fit, the lad was injured for more than 10x with his few short years with us.
if all went to plan, we would have 5 wingers in the team in sterling, countihno, lana, marko and shaqiri. why we need 5 wingers i will never know.

if he survive til jan, he must correct his mistake by signing a forward and a defender/goalkeeper.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:48 pm

Not posting as much as I used to as I'm totally depressed by the footy being served up by the team under BR's guidance this term.

Just looking at the table and some of the teams currently above us e.g. Swansea, Newcastle, Southampton, West Ham ! makes me want to vomit.

I know there are some that will still jump to be BR's defence and make excuses for him but I'm having none of it. I firmly believe that man for man our squad is certainly as good (if not better) than those sides mentioned above and our biggest problem this season has been our managers tactical ineptitude.

Time and again this season we've been out fought and out thought by teams of far lesser quality and for me the responsibility lies firmly at our managers door.

If only because of the sparkling football we served up last season I'm prepared to persevere with Brendan Rodgers up to the end of the current term, as I suspect are FSG, BUT failure to secure a CL place this season will be a massive step backwards for the club and I for one will certainly be calling for Rodgers removal if, as seems increasingly likely, we slip back into the pack of "also rans" .

In the meantime I "walk on with hope in my heart" but still fking depressed  :kungfu:    :down:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby maguskwt » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:55 pm

I am really hoping the owners will decide to spend on a striker... 4th place is really in jeopardy if we don't strengthen... I think the owners and BR were too complacent when it came to strikers. They didn't think that Sturridge would be out so long. And they appear to have over estimated Balotelli and Lambert. They felt that Sturridge, Balotelli, Lambert and Borini were enough and to be fair if they were fit and Sturridge and Balotelli played together for a number of games, it was probably enough. Balotelli would have gained enough confidence playing together with Sturrdige instead of being asked to lead the line by himself. They even spent money on Origi not for the current needs but for the future...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion