Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby Mikz » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:59 pm

There is not the same spirit or camaraderie this year, i know we arent winning but the players look as if they dont even LIKE each other. Something wrong , Im wondering has Rodgers lost some of the dressing room whatevers wrong. It would need to change soon or the '' sacked in the morning'' chants will be starting and thats between a rock and a hard place .
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kash_Mountain » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:08 pm

He's making mistakes left, right and centre mate I'm not denying that but I do think he will get it right eventually.[/quote]
If he was trying different things to get it right I would agree with you but he has played the same backbone of the team every week with this conviction that it will come right, the best two performances in the past few weeks have been the Swansea and RM games but he hasnt seemed to learn from that, he just goes back to the same selection that's not working, maybe it will come right but how long are we going to wait and how far down the table will we drop before it does.[/quote]

The thing is though, we didn't go to RM to win, we went there to lose by the smallest possible margin. It worked. What BR is actually creating is a defeatist mentality and it's taking its toll.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby RedAnt » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:20 pm

It's not a question of wether the job is too big but rather wether BR has the capacity to grow into the role. In fairness anything could have happened last season. There was a lot of bizarre factors, not just at LFC but at other clubs. As things currently lie, it looks like BR won a bit of a lottery in getting second place. We can't understate the influence Suarez had on us, nor can we forget Moyes' time at Manure which would have created a chain reaction throughout the division.
BR has had plenty of finance with which to lessen the blow of losing Suarez, and the money should also have been used to make sure any injury to Sturridge wouldn't have such a huge impact.
Really he was unfortunate to reach 2nd place. Lakes10 said it somewhere. We went too fast and now the pressure is on, and rather than have the luxury of growing into the role, he's now contending at the very top when neither he nor the team are ready.
It's a cruel world and I'm afraid BR seems to be crumbling under the pressure, and good manager or no, he might find his P45 waiting for him soon.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby Doeboy » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:15 pm

I genuinely think things could turn around pretty quickly in the next few weeks. We would quite easily motor up the league, because let's be honest, apart from Chelsea and maybe Southampton, none of the other teams have shown any kind of consistency/form and managed to really pull away. On paper, we have some very winnable run of games coming up coinciding with Sturridge's return so we could quite easily be looking at a completely different situation come the end of the month/early December.

However BR desperately needs to find a situation solution to our defensive weakness. Even though we have winnable games on paper, with the way we are conceding goals, you can never discount us dropping points in the upcoming run. It needs addressing, because otherwise it will continue to undermine anything we do down the other end.  It has to be BR's priority, because if your not looking like scoring, you have to make sure you don't concede.

Like I've said before, we can criticise individuals all day long but for me, the defensive organisation is just not there as a unit (not only defence but the whole team). No real organisation result's in defenders being unsure which in turn lead to individual errors. Get someone in to work with the defence all day if they have to and get work them into a well drilled unit. BR has a massive blind spot when it comes to the defensive side of the game IMO and unless he sorts it out, I really do think it will be the straw that breaks the camels back and ultimately cost him his job. However I hope that isn't the case and he realises what he has to do and adjusts
Doeboy

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:31 pm

imo the job is too big for him, at the end of the season is a good time to take stock of the situation and see what the future holds. it will have been 3 years since he took over and can be fairly judged by the owners.

for me though he has struggled to implement his philosophy, has struggled to buy decent players who even fit into said philosophy and completely looks lost without suarez. this summer for me was a good chance when he had a lot of money to address mistakes he made previously and he just bought poorly again. same old story and if he is allowed to continue in the current set up then we are proper fecked as he will buy more of the same.

if he is ever going to turn it around then he can do it with the players at his disposal. after the money he spent, he at least should have a side capable of finishing in the top 4.
personally i think he has lost some in that dressing room and his man management isn't what he'd have you believe.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:42 am

Ferguson was on a knife edge of getting fired after 3 seasons but the club believed he could turn it round... BR is going through the same crisis of confidence after a dream start. We have to give him 2 more seasons. There is no magic solution I'm afraid.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:08 am

What on earth makes anyone think this Muppet is worth two more seasons? Sorry not for me
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:32 am

I'm actually not that bothered about the results against Madrid and Chelsea, Madrid are probably the best side on the planet ATM and Chelsea beat us home and away last year even when we were firing on all cylinders so losing to those types of clubs can happen.
For me the concerning thing was that the same old faces walked back into the team which based on their recent performances just wasn't justified. I actually think there's a very good side somewhere within our squad but Brendan seems reluctant to try and find it because he can't see past his favourites.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:59 am

Not playing "the Brendan way" though. We do not have the players to set up in that way or press, even when they are all fit. When Coutinho, Sterling, Danny and Mario are fit we will have a good front four, However our defence, keeper and central midfield will still be weak and vulnerable.

We need to set up completely differently and change the system to suit our better players
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby eds » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:47 am

Stu the Red » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:08 am wrote:What on earth makes anyone think this Muppet is worth two more seasons? Sorry not for me

Never argue with stupid people Stu, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Two more seasons, seriously GTFOH you Manc troll......  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
Last edited by eds on Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:49 am

Stu the Red » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:59 am wrote:Not playing "the Brendan way" though. We do not have the players to set up in that way or press, even when they are all fit. When Coutinho, Sterling, Danny and Mario are fit we will have a good front four, However our defence, keeper and central midfield will still be weak and vulnerable.

We need to set up completely differently and change the system to suit our better players

Lucas, Can and Allen may not be the answer in the long term but they showed enough against Madrid and Swansea to suggest that they are at least capable of playing some version of Brendan's system. Any midfield that involves the 2014 version of Steven Gerrard clearly is not.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby aCe' » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:05 pm

We have to go back to the diamond 4-4-2 setup from last season. For me, with the front 4 you mentioned Stu, we have a chance. Obviously Balo is no Suarez and we cant expect in a million years to be creating the same quality and quantity of chances we did last season but I feel its the only way forward now. With Sturridge out, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to test out both Lambert and Borini and see if either has it in them to step up to the plate. We didnt, and in all likelihood it has cost all 3 of them going forward.

In January, bring in a forward who is comfortable on the ball, someone who can pass and create and hold up the ball by being clever rather than big. A downgraded version of Suarez basically. Someone like Jovetic, Sanchez, Rooney to clarify the type of player I am talking about. 

Back to Rodgers though, I am not quite sure what he is trying. From last season, the attacking tactics, playing Chelsea for a win when all we needed was a draw, to this pile of shiit he serves on a weekly basis. Putting out a side to get beat then putting out a side to stop the opposition playing. We've hardly created anything in the last few games and yet he has persisted with the same pathetic setup. His work in the transfer windows overall has been woeful and that alone is worthy of intense scrutiny when assessing his performance. Is the job too big for him ? You could argue all 3 answers and have valid points imo. I went for the last option but my fingers were twitching to click the 1st.

What he did last season, he did last season and it was great. This season, he'll get a bit of patience and leeway from the fans for it and rightly so.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:57 pm

Ace the diamond is the problem lad, one of our biggest problems a lack of width
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:08 pm

eds » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:47 pm wrote:
Stu the Red » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:08 am wrote:What on earth makes anyone think this Muppet is worth two more seasons? Sorry not for me

Never argue with stupid people Stu, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Two more seasons, seriously GTFOH you Manc troll......  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Eds.... pull your pants up so we don't have to hear your usual sh!te. You really are a BORE.  :help

Miserable, miserable little man.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:06 pm

Stu the Red » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:57 pm wrote:Ace the diamond is the problem lad, one of our biggest problems a lack of width

We're playing one upfront now and we still have no width !

Atleast with the diamond we have more of a presence up top and players like Sterling (playing through the middle) and Balotelli (with a partner upfront) have more of a chance of influencing the game. If we had better wide options or a top striker, playing the system we do now would have made more sense. As things stand, our best chance of climbing up the table is by giving our best players as good a platform to perform as possible. Something Rodgers has done incredibly well last season but has somehow failed to do rather spectacularly so far this season.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion