How did roy do this transfer window?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

How did roy do this transfer window?

He did extremely well: we will be up there challenging for the title
5%
He did well: we will at least be in the top 4
20%
He did OKAY: we brought in two good players but still no striker, we might struggle to finish 4th
56%
He didn't do well: not bringing another striker is a big mistake, we will improve from last season's position, probably 6th
17%
He failed: WTF still no striker? mid-table mediocrity here we come
2%

Total votes : 88

Postby Scottbot » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:16 pm

Obviously it's hard to say at the moment because it all depends on how these lads do in the next few months.

This grade will depend hugely on Fernando's health. If Torres stays fit and Ngog does alright when he has to come in then we're in good shape and it looks (on the face of it) like some good business by Hodgson given the limited funds he had to work with. However, if Fernando gets injured and misses a large chunk of game time (particularly with Kuyt now out injured) then it won't matter how the other signings have fared because our lack of a replacement striker will be the only thing anyone can focus on. I still can't fathoim why we wwere ready and waiting to pull the trigger on the RM deal the moment the Masch money came in and yet the club weren't able to do this on the striker front. Even someone like Gudjonsen on a free would have made sense surely?

Cole, Konchesky and Poulsen all look like good signings particularly given they were all fairly cheap. So much depends on Mereiles, if this lad can come in, apadt quickly and provide a bit of guille and tempo to our passing game then he will  prove to be an excellent signing and Hodgson will right ly be called a genius.
Last edited by Scottbot on Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:27 pm

I seem to remember years ago when we were successful we didnt rely too much on a striker to score all our goals. It felt like everyone except the goalie would regularly get on the score sheet
Hopefully Roy has sussed this and will bring it back into practice
Thommo's perm

Postby Fauxy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:29 pm

:no oh benny benny benny  :no
Fauxy

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:30 pm

Fauxy wrote: :no oh benny benny benny  :no

What ???
Benny The Noon

Postby bigmick » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:03 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:
Fauxy wrote::no oh benny benny benny  :no

What ???

If you don't know by now you never will  :D
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:05 pm

Well im still waiting to find out how training methods stop someone getting injured while playing and on international duty ?
Benny The Noon

Postby bigmick » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:08 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:Well im still waiting to find out how training methods stop someone getting injured while playing and on international duty ?

Whatchoo talkin' bout Willis  ???
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:10 pm

bigmick wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:Well im still waiting to find out how training methods stop someone getting injured while playing and on international duty ?

Well someone has said that Torres will be less injured due to new training methods so the need for a back up isnt as vital as in previous seasons and i asked a few people how come a new training method will stop him getting injured while playing games or away on international duty as thats where he gets his injuries and not while training
Benny The Noon

Postby bigmick » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:17 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:
bigmick wrote:

Well someone has said that Torres will be less injured due to new training methods so the need for a back up isnt as vital as in previous seasons and i asked a few people how come a new training method will stop him getting injured while playing games or away on international duty as thats where he gets his injuries and not while training

The last time I heard something as utterly ridiculous as training methods at Liverpool impacting on whether or not he'll get injured while away, was when people said on here that we had a better medical team than Roma and therefore Alberto Aquilani would not only be fit in no time but would stay fit and uproot trees. You do get some whoppers on here sometimes  :laugh: .
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:26 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:
bigmick wrote:

i'm actually going to try and explain this for you....

the training methods are designed to make him stronger and less PRONE to injury. its nothing to do with getting injured while training - its training designed to stop him getting injured while playing. therefore, it doesn't matter where it is that he's actually playing because the training he has been doing will make him more resistant to injury while he's doing it. as far as i'm aware there has been no training program designed to date whose benefits can be turned off outside national boundaries.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:31 pm

We have heard of all these sort of training methods before Andy that are supposed to help injury prone players and as far as I can tell not one seems to off worked - the players still get the injuries , Torres gets battered all game long and that's where he gets his injuries from - no amount of different training will stop that - understand what your saying but never seen it work in practice
Benny The Noon

Postby andy_g » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:45 pm

i thought the question wasn't whether it would work or not, but what it actually was. or is this a different question....? i guess i should have known better.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:58 pm

It was more to do with someones statement that we would have Torres for more games this season and wouldn't be as injury prone due to different training methods meaning a back up striker was not as big a priority - something which off course I disagreed with :D
Benny The Noon

Postby roberto green » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:28 pm

Lets give it a bit longer than 4 weeks to see if this new training regime is going to pay dividends eh
roberto green

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:07 am

Interesting tidbits in the Echo this morning.  It sounds as though we were looking good to bring Mario Gomez in on loan but Bayern pulled the plug at the last minute, causing us to scramble for another striker.  There were no details given but it sounds possible that the Gomez loan deal had been lined up in advance of deadline day.  Pity.  It also sounds like we put in a late bid for Van der Vaart but I guess he liked 'Arry's used carsalesman schtick better.  Either that or Champions League football.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion