How did roy do this transfer window?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

How did roy do this transfer window?

He did extremely well: we will be up there challenging for the title
5%
He did well: we will at least be in the top 4
20%
He did OKAY: we brought in two good players but still no striker, we might struggle to finish 4th
56%
He didn't do well: not bringing another striker is a big mistake, we will improve from last season's position, probably 6th
17%
He failed: WTF still no striker? mid-table mediocrity here we come
2%

Total votes : 88

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:43 pm

voted for 3 because he just about did ok in the transfer window.
he claimed at the time that purslow was the man to be credited with the cole signing.(i think roy was only in the job a day or 2 when we signed him).
anyway he is a great signing for the club whoever signed him.
poulsen seems like he could be ok.
merieles is quality and an impressive signing.
konchesky is solid,not flashy but could do a job for us and will most def be 1st choice.

bit disapointed over him letting aqualani and nemeth go.
the striker problem was an issue for a while and im surprised he didnt address that this window although he most likely will in january.
happy we didnt get players like luke young,stylian petrov and carlton cole.
overall he did ok i suppose given the circumstances he is in and i believe he will get us to a better  finish than last year,but might just miss out on 4th.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby jimmy brighton » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:26 am

My vote goes for number 2. He was gonna lose Masch anyway and therefore, good riddance. I think there is more option in the squad now. If you have Poulsen playing DM and Meireles in front of him, with Cole behind Torres, that leaves Gerrard to do just about what he wants to do. There's plenty of back up as well. I think N'gog, Kuyt and Babel are decent options if Torres gets injured
joey ate the frogs legs
made the swiss roll
now he's munching gladback
jimmy brighton
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:11 am

fivecups wrote:Very nicely balanced poll this one. 3 groups - 2 sets of extremists on both sides but by far the largest group are the 'sit-on-the-fencers', 'wait 'n see's', 'balanced view-point' posse. :D

I wonder if we did one of these this time last year would the result be exactly the same - just a perfect swap of extremists on both sides and the big group stuck in the middle in exactly the same way! :laugh:

very true...  :D
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:07 am

He didnt spend 20 mil on a player
Obviously got no clue
Get rid
Thommo's perm

Postby Ciggy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:06 am

Which 3 of yous voted 1? :laugh:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:08 am

Ciggy wrote:Which 3 of yous voted 1? :laugh:

I reckon it was you nan and Benny  :nod
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:34 am

I said option two he did well though obviously striker situation marked him down.

However considering its  his first season, owner problems, world cup summer, Torres and Masch headache his transfers far exceeded my expectations
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bermenstein » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:42 am

He did well consodering the off field politics surrounding the selling of the club. I'm surprised he had any money available to him to get Meireles.
I'm more concerned about the club going into administration on the 6th October, and possibly being deducted 9 points.
Bermenstein
LFC Super Member

Postby matt_liverpool » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:25 am

Option 2 for me. I reckon we have everything in place to finish in top 4 now. I'm not bothered about the striker situation as we are only going to play one up front and have Ngog, Kuyt, Babel and Jova as backup.  The situation is not too critical as many people think over here.
matt_liverpool

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:05 pm

matt_liverpool wrote:Option 2 for me. I reckon we have everything in place to finish in top 4 now. I'm not bothered about the striker situation as we are only going to play one up front and have Ngog, Kuyt, Babel and Jova as backup.  The situation is not too critical as many people think over here.

We only played one up front last season and had those same players as back up and look what happened then
Benny The Noon

Postby matt_liverpool » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:10 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:
matt_liverpool wrote:Option 2 for me. I reckon we have everything in place to finish in top 4 now. I'm not bothered about the striker situation as we are only going to play one up front and have Ngog, Kuyt, Babel and Jova as backup.  The situation is not too critical as many people think over here.

We only played one up front last season and had those same players as back up and look what happened then

Everyone (excluding you) knows we suffered last season because we didn't have a functional midfield hence the service to our strikers was non-existent at times.
matt_liverpool

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:15 pm

To be fair to Benny it wasnt just the midfield.
I wouldnt feel confident at all with our striking options if Torres is injured for a lengthy period.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:16 pm

And everyone knows we need back up to Torres - even when we did have a "functional midfield " the season before when Torres was out injured we didnt score goals.
Benny The Noon

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:18 pm

Why is the thread about Roy?

I can't blame him for lack of signings when we have no clue what sort of financial constraints he is under. We all know that H&G lie through there teeth regularly.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby matt_liverpool » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:24 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:And everyone knows we need back up to Torres - even when we did have a "functional midfield " the season before when Torres was out injured we didnt score goals.

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

We finished 2nd that season and scored highest no. of goals in the league.
matt_liverpool

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion