Transfer window question

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:46 pm

Recently Birmingham City sold Jespoer Gronkjaer to Athletico Madrid I believe, but how is that possible when I thought no players were to be brought/sold until the Transfer Window opens in January?
Last edited by A.B. on Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:00 pm

Not sure , perhaps the deal is done but the move won't take place until the window actually opens ? .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby jonnymac1979 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:02 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Not sure , perhaps the deal is done but the move won't take place until the window actually opens ? .

Yes, this is usually what happens. 

I remember when Heskey left the club.  It wasn't in a scheduled transfer window and I was panicking in case he was going to stay. 

Only when I saw him wearing Birmingham blue I trusted the transfer system.

Likewise, we signed Djibril Cisse long before July 1st but it only became "official" that day.
jonnymac1979

Postby A.B. » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:04 pm

It makes sense now.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:05 pm

jonnymac1979 wrote:I remember when Heskey left the club.  It wasn't in a scheduled transfer window and I was panicking in case he was going to stay.

PMSL  :laugh:   :laugh:   :laugh:
JMac you crack me up .
:D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby the great one » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:20 pm

A.B. wrote:Recently Birmingham City sold Jespoer Gronkjaer to Athletico Madrid I believe, but how is that possible when I thought no players were to be brought/sold until the Transfer Window opens in January?

Maybe both parties agreed to terminate the contract on mutral consent  :)
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:29 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
jonnymac1979 wrote:I remember when Heskey left the club.  It wasn't in a scheduled transfer window and I was panicking in case he was going to stay.

PMSL  :laugh:   :laugh:   :laugh:
JMac you crack me up .
:D

It's not meant to be funny!!!  It's true!!!  :D
jonnymac1979

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:30 pm

A. No.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby simic_ie » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:41 pm

A.B. wrote:Recently Birmingham City sold Jespoer Gronkjaer to Athletico Madrid I believe, but how is that possible when I thought no players were to be brought/sold until the Transfer Window opens in January?

I'm not 100% sure but I think the transfer window for Spanish clubs is open now therefore it was possible for Gonkjaer to move. Can't be certain of this though.
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the great one » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:04 pm

simic_ie wrote:

I'm not 100% sure but I think the transfer window for Spanish clubs is open now therefore it was possible for Gonkjaer to move. Can't be certain of this though.

It not open but they have a window where they can sign players on loan or players without a club.
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:32 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Not sure , perhaps the deal is done but the move won't take place until the window actually opens ? .

Look at it this way
We've just made an offer for Morientes , If Real had accepted it ,Hi Ho  deal done, the actual move would take place in the Jan window . Just like the Gronljaer situation .
Sounds right to me.

:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:40 pm

he hasnt moved yet, the deal has just been agreed thats all, he wont sign officially until January 1st
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:43 pm

Fowler_E7 wrote:

he hasnt moved yet, the deal has just been agreed thats all, he wont sign officially until January 1st

I see.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:53 pm

Also, pre contract agreements for players whose contracts expire in June/July (the end date of the vast majority of players) cannot be signed until January, so the alleged pre-contract deal Parry spoke about a few days ago is probably for a guy in the middle of his contract, his club given him permission to speak to Liverpool and Liverpool have secretly agreed terms with his club.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby A.B. » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:56 pm

It seems that we are more likely to sign Morientes more than ever.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion