How did roy do this transfer window?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

How did roy do this transfer window?

He did extremely well: we will be up there challenging for the title
5%
He did well: we will at least be in the top 4
20%
He did OKAY: we brought in two good players but still no striker, we might struggle to finish 4th
56%
He didn't do well: not bringing another striker is a big mistake, we will improve from last season's position, probably 6th
17%
He failed: WTF still no striker? mid-table mediocrity here we come
2%

Total votes : 88

Postby In and Out » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:36 am

andy_g wrote:i thought the question wasn't whether it would work or not, but what it actually was. or is this a different question....? i guess i should have known better.

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

funkin funny that
Football is a relatively simple game and Roy knows it ;)
In and Out
LFC Super Member

Postby kawaton » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:35 pm

Bad Bob wrote:Interesting tidbits in the Echo this morning.  It sounds as though we were looking good to bring Mario Gomez in on loan but Bayern pulled the plug at the last minute, causing us to scramble for another striker.  There were no details given but it sounds possible that the Gomez loan deal had been lined up in advance of deadline day.  Pity.  It also sounds like we put in a late bid for Van der Vaart but I guess he liked 'Arry's used carsalesman schtick better.  Either that or Champions League football.

Yeah, i heard about VDV. Was surprised he didn't want to join us...i wonder if RB or DK did anything to try to talk him into joining us....maybe they didn't know, or VDV doesn't get on with one or both of them.....
kawaton

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:38 pm

kawaton wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:Interesting tidbits in the Echo this morning.  It sounds as though we were looking good to bring Mario Gomez in on loan but Bayern pulled the plug at the last minute, causing us to scramble for another striker.  There were no details given but it sounds possible that the Gomez loan deal had been lined up in advance of deadline day.  Pity.  It also sounds like we put in a late bid for Van der Vaart but I guess he liked 'Arry's used carsalesman schtick better.  Either that or Champions League football.

Yeah, i heard about VDV. Was surprised he didn't want to join us...i wonder if RB or DK did anything to try to talk him into joining us....maybe they didn't know, or VDV doesn't get on with one or both of them.....

I expect he went to spurs because of CL football .
Benny The Noon

Postby maguskwt » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:44 pm

bigmick wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:
bigmick wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:Well im still waiting to find out how training methods stop someone getting injured while playing and on international duty ?

Whatchoo talkin' bout Willis  ???

Well someone has said that Torres will be less injured due to new training methods so the need for a back up isnt as vital as in previous seasons and i asked a few people how come a new training method will stop him getting injured while playing games or away on international duty as thats where he gets his injuries and not while training

The last time I heard something as utterly ridiculous as training methods at Liverpool impacting on whether or not he'll get injured while away, was when people said on here that we had a better medical team than Roma and therefore Alberto Aquilani would not only be fit in no time but would stay fit and uproot trees. You do get some whoppers on here sometimes  :laugh: .

:D  HEY that was me! I was just being optimistic... while you and 'your sheep' were doomers and gloomers...  :D I was hoping that our medical team were better than Roma's and therefore we will get Aquilani up and running in no time...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:45 pm

champions league football, london, stable ownership etc would have been the key factors i think.

gomez is awful by the way. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:56 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:It was more to do with someones statement that we would have Torres for more games this season and wouldn't be as injury prone due to different training methods meaning a back up striker was not as big a priority - something which off course I disagreed with :D

that was me.

How many times has Torres gone away on international duty, trained with Spain, picked up an injury and come back to us crocked?  Rafa even questioned Spains training methods.

Can't remember too many times when torres injury was caused by another player clattering him, more likely caused by the fact Torres is fast as lightning therefore needs to train the old legs, groin, hamstrings a certain way. If Spain neglet this then he gets injured.

My point really was that with our new medical centre/team(probably being one of the best in football) Torres should be given the best training regeime for his style of play therefore should lessen injuries caused by explosive bursts.

any clearer?
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:01 pm

Lee J wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:It was more to do with someones statement that we would have Torres for more games this season and wouldn't be as injury prone due to different training methods meaning a back up striker was not as big a priority - something which off course I disagreed with :D

that was me.

How many times has Torres gone away on international duty, trained with Spain, picked up an injury and come back to us crocked?  Rafa even questioned Spains training methods.

Can't remember too many times when torres injury was caused by another player clattering him, more likely caused by the fact Torres is fast as lightning therefore needs to train the old legs, groin, hamstrings a certain way. If Spain neglet this then he gets injured.

My point really was that with our new medical centre/team(probably being one of the best in football) Torres should be given the best training regeime for his style of play therefore should lessen injuries caused by explosive bursts.

any clearer?

I understood what you said the first time Lee and as i said to andy we have heard many times all these new training methods etc was supposed to stop injury prone players getting injured - players like owen , kewell , shearer etc yet they all still kept getting injured just like torres will - so my point is no matter what training methods are employed players will still get injured as will torres and we will still be within a decent back up .

The crux of the matter is - we lose torres we loose our threat up front as well as the goals . We have no one to come in and replace him . The previous manager failed to address the problem as has current manager .
Last edited by Benny The Noon on Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benny The Noon

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:43 pm

Current manager hasn't really had a lot of time to sort it and it sounds like he did try. I bet you owt he's using the next 3 month finding someone and in January he'll pull the trigger on another striker to help torres out for the second half of the season. we can hope.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:54 pm

I hope he is looking for a striker lee - and I will keep my fingers crossed we get through to jan with an injury free Torres and I hope it's not too late in jan
Benny The Noon

Postby rocky29 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:29 pm

maguskwt wrote:
bigmick wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:
bigmick wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:Well im still waiting to find out how training methods stop someone getting injured while playing and on international duty ?

Whatchoo talkin' bout Willis  ???

Well someone has said that Torres will be less injured due to new training methods so the need for a back up isnt as vital as in previous seasons and i asked a few people how come a new training method will stop him getting injured while playing games or away on international duty as thats where he gets his injuries and not while training

The last time I heard something as utterly ridiculous as training methods at Liverpool impacting on whether or not he'll get injured while away, was when people said on here that we had a better medical team than Roma and therefore Alberto Aquilani would not only be fit in no time but would stay fit and uproot trees. You do get some whoppers on here sometimes  :laugh: .

:D  HEY that was me! I was just being optimistic... while you and 'your sheep' were doomers and gloomers...  :D I was hoping that our medical team were better than Roma's and therefore we will get Aquilani up and running in no time...

dont worry pal you were right. Apparently aqua had to endure an 6 hour medical at juventus and there medical staff said after that his ankle was in perfect condition. Thats clever we spend all that time and money. Then finally whens hes finally fit we ship him out. Good business sense that is matey.
rocky29
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:38 pm

rocky29 wrote:dont worry pal you were right. Apparently aqua had to endure an 6 hour medical at juventus and there medical staff said after that his ankle was in perfect condition. Thats clever we spend all that time and money. Then finally whens hes finally fit we ship him out. Good business sense that is matey.

It's not his ankle which is the problem though fella, we know that's 100%. It's his ticker which is the problem, and his stomach. He's got neither for the battle.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:07 pm

My vote would be he did well given the difficulties, and we might struggle to be in the top 4, due to the same difficulties.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby killerp » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:36 am

Cole & Meireles are the highlights of the transfer period but not signing a striker was a mistake, Ngog will not be able to step up this season when Torres is not available.
killerp

Postby paisleyred » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:27 am

why?
paisleyred

Postby maguskwt » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:09 am

paisleyred wrote:why?

Why not?
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion