FABIO AURELIO - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 5 stars » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:47 pm

So far this season he has looked good, being a Brazilian it will take him some time to settle into the Preimership. It is interesting that he seems to be a options in dead ball situations. I can remember Rafa saying, that Fabio Aurelio is a better passes of the ball than Alonso. So it's proably not so surprising.

I see Fabio Aurelio as being a good option to play fullback, if Kewell is playing left midfield. Kewell is excellent at tracking back, and defending when needed. Gonzales is more of a old fashioned winger, the jury is still out on his defending capabilities. I see a Fabio Aurelio/Kewell combination for the left, being used against a more experienced/smarter fullback.

Fabio Aurelio will be used, when we need over lapping, attacking fullback. He would perfect if we ever played 3-5-2, like we did against the Newcastle last season. :D
Last edited by 5 stars on Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 stars

Postby stmichael » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:33 pm

I've noticed he can be defensively naive. On the ball he's sound, but the goals we've conceded in the premiership have been, to a certain extent, due to his defensive frailties. A few of the chances yesterday also ocurred from our left side where his positioning was at fault. Anybody else noticed this? I don't have any worries as I'm sure Rafa would have noticed this and will improve as Fabio plays more within our back line.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:59 pm

stmichael wrote:I've noticed he can be defensively naive. On the ball he's sound, but the goals we've conceded in the premiership have been, to a certain extent, due to his defensive frailties. A few of the chances yesterday also ocurred from our left side where his positioning was at fault. Anybody else noticed this? I don't have any worries as I'm sure Rafa would have noticed this and will improve as Fabio plays more within our back line.

I deffo see where you're coming from St Mike. I felt looking back on the game yesterday that he should've been out there pressuring Zamora in the build-up to their goal. At times very early in the game I looked at our left side and felt that it looked very weak with Aurelio & Garcia lining up there. There were one too many occassions when Aurelio seemed to get sucked into the middle when a player moved inside. Now I hope that this is just going to be a case of him being infamiliar with our defensive system and the other players around him and with games he will improve. Against Sheff. Utd last week he had to be held accountable for the goal conceeded IMO as he just didn't defend his 'ZONE' against the incoming attacker and ball. This again I'm hoping is just a case of needing time to bed in to the team.
Last edited by RUSHIE#9 on Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:40 pm

He certainly seems to be more comfortable going forward than defending that's for sure. In many ways he's a classic wing back.

Oh well, at the end of the day, Brazilians don't believe in full backs anyway. They are wingers who might put in a tackle or two every now and then  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby alessandromagno » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:03 pm

I guess that's true. Aurelio will be great in an essentially attacking team that doesn't give the other lot a chance to come forward.
ALESSANDRO
alessandromagno
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby davo_LFC » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:18 pm

of what i have seen of him so far he looks like a good attacking full back, always overlapping and witha few adjustments in his defensive duties hes going to be a very good left back i think,he may need a little time to settle but he seems to be doing so quickly and just a minor few things to improve on but apart from that i think he appears to be a very good player especially since we got him for nothing, he seems to like a tackle aswell which i thought i'd never say about a brazilian :D
ImageImage
davo_LFC
LFC Super Member

Postby Kopite-Jud » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:56 pm

he looks about as Brazillian as a Brazil nut
Kopite-Jud

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:39 pm

It nice to have more technical ability and comfort on the ball in the team. Defensively he has been O.K, the only thing that has let him down is his positioning a few times, but I suspect that this will improve with work on the training ground and playing regularly with the same players, but so far so good as far as I’m concerned.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Liverpool 4 EVA » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:22 am

stmichael wrote:Oh well, at the end of the day, Brazilians don't believe in full backs anyway. They are wingers who might put in a tackle or two every now and then  :D

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
Drummerphil - our thoughts are with you
Liverpool 4 EVA
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:14 am

I disagree with peoples misgivings about his defensive capabilities. I didn't think he was at fault positionally for the goal on Saturday, on the contrary I thought he was absolutely correct to tuck in and anticipate the pass onto his outside when Zamorra ran accross him. It would have been far worse had he stayed wider and allowed Benayoun (I think) to slip Zamorra in between himself and Agger.

Knowing when to tuck and when to push is the hardest thing about playing full-back and it's not a text book thing, often it's just a guess. The better ones get in right almost every time though and sofar I have absolutely no concerns about Aurelio from a positional point of view. Defensively I think he is sounder than JAR, but from an offensive point of view the Norwegian shades it. It will be an intersting battle this season between the two.

My only misgivings about Aurelio is like players from other leagues, his interpretation of the rules is different to the way we play. Defenders playing for the foul over here is quite a new thing, our referees expect them to stay on their feet by and large. Incidents like the one with Harewood on Saturday where he got in between the attacker and the ball and then went to ground under contact are very dangerous over here. Particularly away from home he might find play getting waved on and he'd look pretty silly then. It's definately early days I know but my impression is that he is going to be a really sound left-back, worries about his defending are misplaced in my opinion.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:34 am

After watching him against West Ham my first impressions are with the majority on this one. At the moment his own qualities look better suited to a L.midfielder. His left foot looks more of an offensive weapon when going forward.
When defending he looks a little lacklusture for me, the Beneyion fella ran at him during the game on saturday. Aurelio showed him on the inside where he (Beneyion) eventually let off a shot, Beneyion In my opinon never should of had the right to do that as Aurelio invited him on and didnt even look interested in blocking the shot. Also when the ball was out on the sideline, the little Brazillian IMO would give there winger too much space in which to work. Because of that and maybe with having the not so defesive of minded players in Garcia ahead of him most West Ham attacks flourished more down that flank where they were able to get in decent early crosses.
To me he on first glimpses epitimises the Brazilians when it comes to defending, going forward is a different kettle of fish . But first and foremost you want your Left back to look solid defesively rather than neat and tidy going forward. So no he's definately not the soundiss of defenders at the moment, but thats not to say hes no good as its so early to say, I'm only going on first impressions. And I'm pretty confident Aurelio will be a hit at Anfield.
66-1112520797

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:46 am

Sorry Mick but Aurellio hasn’t looked in sync with the rest of the defence at times, but it is only natural. Just get the feeling that he is too eager to tuck in, I know Rafa likes the wide players to tuck in when we lose the ball, but I think Aurellio is over doing what Rafa has told him. It’s a tactical thing that will get better over time, its got nothing to do with his natural positional play, its just getting used to the tactical play.

But I agree that he looks good defensively, I have no worries so far in that respect except for the tactical part.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:53 pm

I still believe JAR will be the 1st choice at FB. I see Aurelio and Gonzales competing for the LM role on a regular basis. I had forgotten about Kewell. Can't see him getting back into that team. I would sell him.
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby onizukaeikichi » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:58 pm

i havent a clean sheet yet since the new season has started :( i want  JAR back!
onizukaeikichi

Postby GOAT » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:09 pm

onizukaeikichi wrote:i havent a clean sheet yet since the new season has started :( i want  JAR back!

I want carra back..
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion