All the strikers are underperforming - So who now?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby dawson99 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:55 am

Ok, Cisse bashers, sorry to say this but Mori hasnt really lit up anfield either. And all this crouch link up play doesnt matetr if thres no one to link up with... so what do we do?

Anelka: Hes a goalscorer, simple as that. he knows how to find the back of the net and has done this at every club. And theres the problem, hes never at a club long enough to have a proper say. A recent article had him saying hed never play for everton as hes already worn the decent shirt of the city.
Cost? around 11 million probably, but if he doesnt sulk hes a great buy

Shevchenko: Hes class, one of the worlds best. and everyone knows it. Hes also good friends with Stevie G but would cost us millions and millions. Hes also getting on a bit and you cant pay stupid money for a player of his age... so a no go.

Raul: when on form i still think he is one of the best. But he hasnt been on form for a while now. Hes a god where he is and he knows that if he performed for us he would achieve the status which he is used to where he is. Hed cost a few quid but real have a load of strikers so they may be willing to cash in. Risky and wages would be huge.
No Go

Michael Owen: Little Michael, what have you done? He made the biggest mistake of his life leavign us and he knows it. He wants to come back and we want him back, but not at the money real were asking for. Give it a season, 2 at most, and he;'ll be here again. Doesnt help us now tho.

Saviola: Poor mans Michael Owen. I dunno much abotu him lately but he seemed a player before.

Aimer: Too weak for the premiership? im not too sure, hes got a bite on him and could do well.

Trundle: Fat lower division player. Sounds crude but nowhere near our standards.

Dunno where im going with this. Maybe Anelka would be the best route to take, but as everyone is saying we do need to look at the strikers, as that is where we are definately lacking.

Opinions?
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:10 pm

I support you man. Anelka is definately available for transfer. He has matured a lot and I don't think he'll be just collecting paychecks and going to late night parties. Anelka will score lots of goals. He has speed, good ball control and killer instinct. He is a footballer with a proven record in the premiership. And FWIW he seems to love Liverpool. I think a £ 6-7 million bid would ne enough. Taking Anelka now won't stop us from signing another striker next summer (Kuijt/Owen) cause I think we need to replace both Cisse and Morientes. Hate to say it, but we sold the wrong guy. We should have kept Baros and sold Morientes/Cisse.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby Garymac » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:11 pm

Either one of Robbie Keane or jermaine Defoe, id get GOD back on a free or half a million, and sell Cisse and Morientes, Pair of them are sh!te and have been total let downs, think its time to accept the fact that these 2 just dont cut it but at least Morientes has a go.

Hes had 2 games at OT now and hasnt looked intrested in the slightest, i think he knows he has to work hard against good sides to create or get chances and hes just not up for it at all.

We are a shake up of the strikers away from having a team who can challange for the league but this current crop of front men just arnt good enough.

But a new striker has become more important than a right winger in my eyes, we can cope with out a winger till the Summer, how many chances do we create and how many do we score are conversion rate must rank as one of the worst in the league.

Id take Henrik Larsson on loan till the end of the season as well.
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby Ciggy » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:20 pm

My biggest worry about Morientes is that he seems to be Rafa's best mate, and Rafa will favour him above anyone of the spanish players, I just cant see Rafa saying to him you arnt performing well enough I have to sell you. Good shout Gary about Larsson but with Eto at the African nations I dont think Rijkard will let him leave.
Last edited by Ciggy on Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby caseydude » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:27 pm

think rafa should table a bid for defoe he is young quick has goals in him and think at liverpool could improve immensly anfd would be the perfect player to link up with crouchy dont think he is happy at spurs right now and think a swap deal with cisse and a small amout of cash may seal the deal then during the summer go all out for a world class striker and i reckon next season will be a happy one for us all:)
caseydude

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:34 pm

I think a short term fix until the end of the season in the strikers department might be a good idea, but I just don't see Benitez going for it.  We definitely need to replace Cisse in the summer, Morientes might be moved on too, but I can't see either of them being sold now as their replacements are unlikely to be eligible for Europe.

Options?

I'd take Larsson without a doubt til the end of the season.  I'd take Anelka on a loan but I'd have reservations about signing him as I just don't see Benitez putting up with his attitude.  The first time he got dropped the cracks would start to show.

In terms of more permanent signings, I like Robbie Keane, but his finishing is quite erratic.  At worst he would be a Cisse that works hard for the team and links play a lot better, definitely a better player than Cisse.  Defoe I like, but again I think he is hyped up quite a lot because he is English.  Definitely there'd be better value for money to be found by looking abroad.

Fowler, although he'd probably buy himself out of his Man City contract and play for us for free if he thought Benitez wanted him, wouldn't be good enough, sad and all as it is.  One player who I think, believe it or not, would be excellent short term for us is Fowler's team-mate Andy Cole.  Ex-scum and about 33 years old, but he's excellent with his back to goal, very good at linking play and still has goals in him when the service is right.  I don't for a minute suggest we try and sign him, he's just a player that I think, under different circumstances, would have been perfectly suited to the style of play that Benitez has brought to Liverpool.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:40 pm

Well it says something when Arsene Wenger buys the fastest young english player in England for 12 million pounds at 16 years of age, but he wasnt the slightest bit interested in signing the fastest young French player from France at 16 years of age. And who better to know about wonder kids from France than Wenger?
WE GOT RIPPED OFF GOOD STYLE
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby BringBackTiti » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:43 pm

I think we need a fox in the box someone like in the fowler mold I know there arnt that many of them knocking around maybe take a gamble on Andy Johnson or take Robbie back as a quick fix until till the end of the season.
''I talk about the table. We need a leg, so I have bought a leg.'' Rafa Benitez
BringBackTiti
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DAV » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:44 pm

I wouldn't lose any sleep if we got rid of all off them at the end of the season
Maybe Defoe,Anelka would do the job
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:46 pm

I think that Sinama-Pongolle may be getting mature enough to play off Crouch. Maybe have Florent playing off the right and Kewell of the left of him would give us options with Riise slotted in behind Kewell and Gerrard in behind Sinama-Pongolle & Alonso directing, would be a decent and formidable midfield/forward line.

Reina
Finnan     Carragher    Hyypia    Warnock

Gerrard           Alonso           Riise

Sinama-Pongolle  Kewell
                     Crouch
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Garymac » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:48 pm

Like Andy Gray Said yesterday how good would this Liverpool team be with RVN and Rooney upfront, we would win the league, no doubt, so why on earth dont the board back Rafa big time knowing we are possibly a World class striker away from a title winning team.

And if Rafa was prepared to pay 12 mil for Simao, id rather see some of that money go on Pennant.
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:51 pm

Clearly we need somebody, though who it is I wouldn't know as I don't watch any foreign football really. I do think out of our current crop, I'd be sorely tempted to give Luis Garcia a run alongside Crouch. He would provide awareness and a goal threat. If that's not an otion because of injury I'd have a look at Kewell central with Riise wide left. Of course all of this won't happen as i think that for the forseeable, Rafa will start with Crouch and Morientes with Piongo off the bench. I feel we may have seen the last of Cisse as a starter.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:53 pm

BringBackTiti wrote:I think we need a fox in the box someone like in the fowler mold I know there arnt that many of them knocking around maybe take a gamble on Andy Johnson or take Robbie back as a quick fix until till the end of the season.

Andy Johnson is another I forgot about.  In the past I always argued against signing him because he was seemingly just having a good season after several average ones.

But the guy cannot be ignored, he's still banging them in, and I know it's only the Championship, but when you look at some of his finishing it's top quality.  Playing off a player like Crouch might bring out even more in him.

The trouble is the price tag, he'd be massively overvalued at 8-10 million I reckon, when in truth he's worth about 3-4.  Unless he hands in a transfer request or shows some desire to leave Palace, he'll not be going anywhere, and so far he's been very loyal to them.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby gary106 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:57 pm

henrik larson?
gary106

Postby Mikz » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:13 pm

Garymac wrote:Either one of Robbie Keane or jermaine Defoe, id get GOD back on a free or half a million, and sell Cisse and Morientes, Pair of them are sh!te and have been total let downs, think its time to accept the fact that these 2 just dont cut it but at least Morientes has a go.

Hes had 2 games at OT now and hasnt looked intrested in the slightest, i think he knows he has to work hard against good sides to create or get chances and hes just not up for it at all.

We are a shake up of the strikers away from having a team who can challange for the league but this current crop of front men just arnt good enough.

But a new striker has become more important than a right winger in my eyes, we can cope with out a winger till the Summer, how many chances do we create and how many do we score are conversion rate must rank as one of the worst in the league.

Id take Henrik Larsson on loan till the end of the season as well.

Id go for that !

Its the big games that we need to win these strikers have let us down. Champs League final,world club final,important league games -its just not on,we need someone to worry the opposition. Morientes is just going through the motions and cisse just isnt good enough.
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion