Michael Owen
13%
John Toshack
2%

Total votes : 53

Postby supersub » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:12 am

Arguements over Fowler/Owen:

Who can kick with both feet?
Who can control a ball with either foot?
Who can shoot and score from outside the box?
Who really wants to debate it?
Who has more strings to their bow?
Who is a one trick pony?
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Dalglish » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:15 am

Me :D Owen's by a considerbale margin :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:15 am

Interesting comments to do with Rushie....major part of game was,he was 1st line of defence...nice to see Morientes has same traits...something sadly lacking for a few years....you know stand on half-way line hands on hip,ti*ty lip and all that.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:03 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Fowler also wasn't capale of winning games on his own when the team wasn't at its best. Owen done it many a time and in massive games aswell.

i suppose the comparison would be the 1996 and 2001 fa cup finals. when we needed robbie to produce he didn't. when michael had to produce he did.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:45 pm

my personal faves are rush and fowler, but it all depends on how old u r i guess. Rush did it all, had a great record and played fantastic football. Fowler scored the fastest hat trick in the top league against the gooners no less.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:40 pm

Fowler wasn't even good enough to play for England regularly. Owen is just a couple of goals short of Shearer. Owen definately better - Fowler good too but had a weak mind (idolised mcmanamann and wanted to be a spice boy, even though ugly as fukk.

Rush& Aldridge very similar (must be the tache)
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:19 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:All of the above were hugely talented. I have a soft spot for Fowler, but before him Rush and King Kenny went out and won championships.

Top players.

This sounds odd - I know - but had his mind been right there is absolutely no reason why Stan Collymore shouldn't have had his name on that list. His talent was immense. Had he the mentality of a Thierry Henry Liverpool would have won Championships in the mid 1990s. Some of his performances for Notts Forest in the season before he came to Liverpool were outstanding, and his displays in the second half of each of his two seasons for Liverpool were rather good (if patchy at times). Alas, Stan's mind and heart were elsewhere, yet another example of an immense talent wasted.  :(

to true, the collymoore/fowler partnership was absolutly outstanding at times, but could have been so much more if the two players were more profesional.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Chrissy » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:24 pm

I think... 1. Rushie 2. King Kenny 2. Owen 4. Fowler 5. Keegan
Who's Aldo?
Chrissy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:10 pm

Chrissy wrote:Who's Aldo?

WTF? ??? ??? ???
jonnymac1979

Postby gabbyh » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:17 pm

I chose Kenny. After Keegan left us, he was an inspirational buy.
I have tried to list the reasons why I picked him and failed.
Brilliant all-rounder sums him up as a player, but really fails to hit the mark. His was a genius which was not allowed to flourish on the world stage because Scotland rarely reached those heights.
Rush? I saw him as a raw striker and was excited, he had pace, skill and was a deadly finisher. Fowler and Aldo were very like him. Raw, Natural and Predatory Goalscorers. Ask them to backtrack and mark...they lose thier natural flair, their very nature is usually selfish but deadly.
Rush, when he came back, was very good at backtracking, being a team player, but his score rate went down.

Kenny was a combination of Keegan, Rush,Fowler and Owen.

Fowler was like Rush, Owen was like Kenny, but neither Fowler or Owen come anywhere close to either of them.
gabbyh

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:59 am

jonnymac1979 wrote:
Chrissy wrote:Who's Aldo?

WTF? ??? ??? ???

:D

I hqve to echo your sentiments jonny.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:15 pm

who's aldo?

I really liked aldo, he seemed to show that he was living his dream by playing for lfc. probably because he had a few years on him at oxford and thought he'd never play in the big time.

You ALWAYS saw the passion. I can't imagine him giving a half arsed approach like some of todays players.

Even for Ireland when under Charlton's ****** system Aldo didn't score for about 25 games he never complained, gave his all and went on to be our record scorer. top man.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:16 pm

oh yeah. Who's Aldo. Watch the record breaker in the 1988 cup final. OUCH!
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:38 pm

John Aldridge is a very special player in Liverpool's history, even though he was only at the club for slightly under three years. His goalscoring, particularly in 1987/88 was terrific.

Sadly he was sold to make room for the returning Rush, but he went on to earn an excellent reputation in Spain (which survives to this day) and then returned to England and scored bucket loads for Tranmere, a strange move for him perhaps as he was certainly capable of playing in the Premiership. He also played with distinction for his adopted country Ireland, where he was forced to play a selfless role as a "runner" in Jack Charlton's Ireland, often running into the corner instead of running into the box. Despite this Aldridge eventually managed a respectable amount of goals for his country.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:40 pm

the big difference i noticed when aldo took over from rush was that aldo was very good in the air. rush always liked it to feet and into space where aldo liked the ball to be thrown in from the flanks. with the whip and pace john barnes used to get on his crosses aldo had a field day, especially the first season. what john lacked in pace he made up for with cool finishing and bravery, he certainly wasn`t scared to put his head where the boots were flying.
i remember aldo`s last game at anfield he threw his kit into the kop whilst the whole ground chanted his name. 
poor old aldo had tears in his eyes but it was no secret in football that john was a fanatical liverpool fan and stood on the kop himself.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion