Strikers

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Doeboy » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:05 pm

Need to seriously get in a decent striker in Jan. Really can't put up with this :censored: any longer.

Cisse - Case of the emperors new clothes. Came with a big reputation and in all honestly has been dissapointing considering he cost £14m. :censored: touch and control, no poise in front of goal and snatches at shots.

Morientes - Simply don't think his suited to the EPL. Game is too fast and physical for him, and at his age would seriously consider shipping him back to spain and getting whatever we can for him.

Crouch - What a waste of money. Squad player at best. Was dead against his signing in the first place and nothing as happened for me to change my mind. Southampton must have been laughing all the way to the bank.

We have had some great strikers in the past like Dalglish, Keegan Rush, Fowler, Owen. I can't see none of the above ever coming into the same bracket.
Doeboy

Postby neil » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:07 pm

get fowler back, right :censored: NOW.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:09 pm

Doeboy wrote:Crouch - What a waste of money. Squad player at best. Was dead against his signing in the first place and nothing as happened for me to change my mind. Southampton must have been laughing all the way to the bank.

That's it mate, stick the boot into one of our players who actually performed reasonably well today :no

You're too harsh on Crouch im my opinion, but I do agree that we could be doing with bringing in another striker in January.  Cisse will never be Benitez's cup of tea and we're going to have to replace him sooner or later.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:11 pm

Whats the point in buying another striker with 5-4-1?
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:12 pm

john craig wrote:
Doeboy wrote:Crouch - What a waste of money. Squad player at best. Was dead against his signing in the first place and nothing as happened for me to change my mind. Southampton must have been laughing all the way to the bank.

That's it mate, stick the boot into one of our players who actually performed reasonably well today :no

You're too harsh on Crouch im my opinion, but I do agree that we could be doing with bringing in another striker in January.  Cisse will never be Benitez's cup of tea and we're going to have to replace him sooner or later.

If we had spent £4million on Crouch as a squad player i would have no problem. But £7million??? On a player who had half a good season??? I just hope to god rafa don't see him as a starting player.
Doeboy

Postby Doeboy » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:14 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:Whats the point in buying another striker with 5-4-1?

Buy a striker who can actually play the lone striker role. The ones we currently have cannot to that.
Doeboy

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:16 pm

john craig wrote:

Its not a case of sticking the boot in...but more a case of "waking up to reality" those players are not good enough to wear the red of our famous club, and until rafa "smells the coffee" and brings in quality players LFC will always be known as the greatest team of the PAST!. :veryangry
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:19 pm

Doeboy wrote:
cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:Whats the point in buying another striker with 5-4-1?

Buy a striker who can actually play the lone striker role. The ones we currently have cannot to that.

Whos going to buy Morientes, Cisse and Crouch then? thats 28 million pounds in strikers we have at the moment and not one of them are scoring with the system we are playing plus wages :) Great isnt it :glare:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:22 pm

The strikers aren't the problem, its the paucity of quality of the wide players.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby welsh wizzard » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:25 pm

Come on crouch has done ok considering he is on his own up there, give him a partner to link with like pongolle in a 442 and the goals will come. Baros would have been in his element with crouch, A new forward will arrive in jan with cisse and maybe moro offloaded, but lay off crouch his control and ability is superb he just needs a decent forward to link with in a 4 4 2.
welsh wizzard
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:31 pm

Dirk Kuyt on what ive seen of him does look a good all round striker. Good in the air, good finisher, runs and chases down all day long. Think he could play the lone role well. However he is playing in a :censored: poor league at the moment so would still represent bit of a gamble especially with the amount Feyenoord are asking for him.
Doeboy

Postby JC_81 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:33 pm

REDTILLDEAD wrote:
john craig wrote:

Its not a case of sticking the boot in...but more a case of "waking up to reality" those players are not good enough to wear the red of our famous club, and until rafa "smells the coffee" and brings in quality players LFC will always be known as the greatest team of the PAST!. :veryangry

Don't post angry faces at me mate.  We're all p1ssed off at today's game, but Crouch was one of the few who did alright today.

We do lack quality in certain areas, especially out wide, but do you think Benitez doesn't know this?  You can see it, I can see it, so you can be fu.cking well sure that Benitez sees it too.  Quality players don't come cheap, we can't 'do a Chelsea' and spend 20 million on a player.  I'm sure Benitez has a plan to address our weaknesses but it won't happen overnight
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby welsh wizzard » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:35 pm

well said mate!!!!!!!!!
welsh wizzard
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:40 pm

I feel as angry as an evertonain I really do, our strike force is as bad as theirs at the moment, with the style of play with negative tactics both managers are playing its dreadfull.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NiftyNeil » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:51 pm

None of our strikers are playing well in the formation we play. This is due to the lack of quality wingers. If we had of bought Owen in the summer, he would be looking bad as well.
We need to start playing two up front. Crouch/Cisse or Crouch/Flo.  Garcia should be used as a sub. Riise/Zenden on the left. Gerrard/Barragan (who seems to be doing well at reserve level) on the right.
We have most of the pieces of the puzzle, Rafa just needs to put them in the right order.
Last edited by NiftyNeil on Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion