Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby Boocity » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:49 am

Reg » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:05 am wrote:
eds » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:49 am wrote:
Reg » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:27 pm wrote:St Mick used to do that....   :laugh:  :laugh:

Just when I thought you couldn't get anymore stupid, you are always amazed by how relentless the local village idiots can be.

Tell us more about your sponsorship's conspiracy you clown.  :laugh:

Here you go:  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... -news.html

Tin hats on lads, soft lad's about to kick off again!    :veryangry  :help  :veryangry

1-0 Reg  :laugh:
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:28 am

1-0?   More like 5-0 up after 10 minutes. Some people are walking towards the exit already.  It's a whitewash.   :buttrock  :buttrock
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:56 am

Its a funny aul game football, a month or two back most of our own fans would have been fairly happy to see the back of Rodgers.   
The poll results on this thread show how much support he had on here. 

At this moment in time though, we are only 5 points off top 4 and still very much alive in 4 competitions. 
We also have a top striker due back any week now.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Kash_Mountain » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:08 pm

Latest comments from BR:

Brendan Rodgers insists that Liverpool will challenge for the Premier League next season, claiming he never expected to be in the title race after spending £120m on new players last summer. 

Do people remember him taking a dig at Tottenham, he clearly made fun and mocked them for spending £100m+ and not challenging for the EPL. One of his comments was, "If you spend £100m+, you must be challenging for the EPL title etc etc"

He made several promises to the Owners, one of which was to deliver the EPL this season, (it [the promises) was his only way of getting money, because the Owners don't really trust him to spend wisely) hence, that's why they gave him all that money to spend. What must the owners be thinking I wonder,  now that he (BR) has said that he never expected LFC to challenge for the title!

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:32 pm

Kash_Mountain » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:08 pm wrote:Latest comments from BR:

Brendan Rodgers insists that Liverpool will challenge for the Premier League next season, claiming he never expected to be in the title race after spending £120m on new players last summer. 

Do people remember him taking a dig at Tottenham, he clearly made fun and mocked them for spending £100m+ and not challenging for the EPL. One of his comments was, "If you spend £100m+, you must be challenging for the EPL title etc etc"

He made several promises to the Owners, one of which was to deliver the EPL this season, (it [the promises) was his only way of getting money, because the Owners don't really trust him to spend wisely) hence, that's why they gave him all that money to spend. What must the owners be thinking I wonder,  now that he (BR) has said that he never expected LFC to challenge for the title!

Who cares what he said? Show me a manager that hasn't made the odd faux pas when someone has shoved a microphone under his nose. The important thing is that he has got us playing well again, what's more he has done it without Suarez or Sturridge which was another aside levelled at him.
In the past few weeks we have played Arsenal and Chelsea off the park, 2 clubs with vastly superior resources and wage bills to us so how about giving the manager a bit of credit for once?
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kash_Mountain » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:33 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Jan 23rd, '15, 19:32 wrote:
Kash_Mountain » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:08 pm wrote:Latest comments from BR:

Who cares what he said? Show me a manager that hasn't made the odd faux pas when someone has shoved a microphone under his nose. The important thing is that he has got us playing well again, what's more he has done it without Suarez or Sturridge which was another aside levelled at him.
In the past few weeks we have played Arsenal and Chelsea off the park, 2 clubs with vastly superior resources and wage bills to us so how about giving the manager a bit of credit for once?

By all means, i'm delighted he's finally made changes and winning some game, but ttop making excuses for him. "who cares what he said", well he's certainly causing embarrassment to the club and Owners, shoudd they care?  He's been told on countless occasions to think before he speaks to the press, does he ever listen, no he doesn't. He doesn't learn from the mistakes that he makes, because he keeps making them. Give  him credit, why?  for wasting the first part of the season, again. Do you remember that he started last season with his philosophy football, you know, the keep ball/possession system, only to change it in the second half of the season because it wasn't working. Do you realise BR  has reverted to his philosophy football at the start of each season. Except this season, he played this system for much longer. That's  least  approx 18 EPL games not to mention CL and other competitions. Was it not apparent to you that his philosophy football was not working, when it was to most fans?  Was it not apparent to you that the players brought in were actually suited to playing the type of football played in the second half of last season, and now, the second half of this season? why was it not apparent to BR, when it was plain and clear for all to see that his philosophy football  wasn't working? why has it taken him this long to make changes?  if he'd made change very early on, within 4 or 5 EPL games, because it was that early that you could tell it wasn't working. The moment he gets comfortable, he'll revert back to his all loving spanish (Barca) philosophy football. Will you be happy with that?

oh and btw, he's also said or at least suggested, Johnson get a new contract, what does that tell you about BR, and the way he is thinking, its certainly not a positive long term view is it. Johnson needs to go.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby Reg » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:18 am

Kash_Mountain » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:33 am wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Jan 23rd, '15, 19:32 wrote:
Kash_Mountain » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:08 pm wrote:oh and btw, he's also said or at least suggested, Johnson get a new contract, what does that tell you about BR, and the way he is thinking, its certainly not a positive long term view is it. Johnson needs to go.

That tells me 2 'positive' things:

1. It's cheaper to renew Johnson's contract for 12 months than to buy in a replacement RB, and
2. He thinks the new lads are good enough but need another 12 months cover from an experienced 30 year old as insurance.

Clever lad is our BR.  :ghostface:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:07 pm

Firstly kudos to the way he's got us playing 'eventually' and its evident through our slick passing he puts a hell of a lot of work on the training pitch with the lads ,but
I still cant get my head around how he allowed the fans to pull their respective hair out in frustration for so long ,I mean we all knew that on paper we had a very good
side ,yet he continually overlooked the obvious solutions to the point of us sailing out of the competition we had fought so hard to secure last season with a whimper  ???

Surely this was the time we needed the tactical changes ,surely for a competition so important then this was when the need to tweak the system was imperative ? 
I'm sorry,but his so called brainstorm for the game against Bournemouth came too late to lay the ghost of a dispirited and unliverpool champions league campaign.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:45 pm

I think that's spot on RB, I have said it before on this forum, I struggle to forgive him for such an inept CL campaign. I know we are playing well now but why did it take so long for BR to get the team selection right.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Danish Red » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:49 pm

It was his first season in the CL having losing our best player and having a lot of recruits join - we were searching for form and and trying to play the way we did last year without the two main players.

Rodgers is on a learning curve - he will make mistakes , established managers have gone out in the Group Stages of the CL before and this year will stand the club , players and manager in a good place for future campaigns
Danish Red
LFC Basic Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:29 pm

Danish Red » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:49 pm wrote:It was his first season in the CL having losing our best player and having a lot of recruits join - we were searching for form and and trying to play the way we did last year without the two main players.

Rodgers is on a learning curve - he will make mistakes , established managers have gone out in the Group Stages of the CL before and this year will stand the club , players and manager in a good place for future campaigns

Some would be less inclined to agree with your assessment ,I think if he had attempted to play a similar football to last season then he would have received the credit
such bravery was due ,however our performances in general were turgid fare and Rodgers repetitively sent the team out with the same mindset every game.

Players who were not conducive to the type of football we had been so enthralled with last season were annoyingly utilised week in week out ,this was the managers fault
alone ....I really fail to see how this can be put down to his naivety pertaining to Champions League football  ???
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Danish Red » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:40 pm

I reckon the manager sent the players out with the mindset to win the game and that mindset is the same mindset being used right now

Its been a summer and start of season of changes - the manager trying to find the right line up and right players whilst the new players get adjusted to either the Prem or the club.

The biggest area we struggled was up front - well that will happen when you lose two players who scored over 50 goals for the club last season.

The manager made a change to three at the back ( im going to guess that not many suggested that ) mainly using the same players and it has improved the team significantly also whilst players settle - now we can give the manager credit for changing things to get the form on the up and be positive and look forward to the rest of the season and future CL - especially with our main striker returning soon.

Its been a struggle so far but we are through the worst of it and moving forward - its all part of the development of the team , manager and players.
Danish Red
LFC Basic Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:16 pm

I think there was a lot of things going on behind the scene's as well which didn't help, there was the fallout with transfer committee, the alleged bust up between Gerrard and Lovren and by the sounds of it the manager was having some long conversations with Gerrard himself about reducing his playing time which went down like a lead balloon with Stevie.
Thankfully it's all water under the bridge now, yes mistakes were made but at least we are heading in the right direction again.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RedAnt » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:39 am

We may have had an upturn in results recently but I'm still far from convinced that BR is anything other than a good coach. Results of course are hugely important in football but performances and results come from coaching, not management. In his post match interview against Bolton he was again banging on about our "great" performance. Everything he says is designed to cover his own back, or to pat himself on it.
I'm pleased to see us performing and getting results but as RBG has pointed out Brendan is merely putting some (and only some) of his mistakes right.
BR has a lot of work to do yet.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:35 am

RedAnt » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:39 am wrote:We may have had an upturn in results recently but I'm still far from convinced that BR is anything other than a good coach. Results of course are hugely important in football but performances and results come from coaching, not management. In his post match interview against Bolton he was again banging on about our "great" performance. Everything he says is designed to cover his own back, or to pat himself on it.
I'm pleased to see us performing and getting results but as RBG has pointed out Brendan is merely putting some (and only some) of his mistakes right.
BR has a lot of work to do yet.

Any manager would have struggled to cope after losing both Suarez and Sturridge and having 9 new players come in, the vast majority of them under 24. Yes he probably stuck with Gerrard as a DM for too long but the decline of our greatest ever player was always going to be a tricky situation for any manager to handle, especially when Gerrard wasn't interested in taking a back seat.
Considering Brendan is the same age as Ryan Giggs I think he is doing a phenominal job.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion