Current squad

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby lakes10 » Sun May 06, 2012 5:20 pm

The_Rock » Sun May 06, 2012 5:12 pm wrote:
Boxscarf » Sun May 06, 2012 9:23 pm wrote:
Kenny played it safe and went with Premier league proven footballers, who were performing well for their respective clubs. The players he went for were big fish in small ponds and suddenly they are moved to a larger pond and they aren't comfortable in the pond. Adam, Downing and Henderson have just been poor and I expected better from them this season. Henderson has perhaps been the worst of the signings purely for the small fact he looks as though he'd rather be somewhere else. His effort level is nonexistent. Henderson has quality, he's shown that at Sunderland, he was one of their best footballers, but he needs to sort himself and offer more. Downing was never good enough, the lad does everything well, but his end product is just abysmal. Adam again has done nothing of note as of yet, he seems quite immobile, he seems slow and he's one-footed. He's a good back up player, but he's good enough to be a regular first team starter.

If Kenny is still our manager in the summer, then he needs to sign genuine quality from abroad. He played it safe in the last transfer window and it backfired on him, this summer (if he is given one more roll of the dice) then he needs to be less cautious and go and sign some genuine quality, not big fish in small ponds.

Well our scouts should have also looked at their players mentality too.

An example...scott parker. West Ham was going down but scott parker gave 110% every game. So if we are gonna buy premiership players we should have bought players like him. So on top of skill we should also look at a player mental strength (easy...just look at past videos on how he plays when his team is down a goal).

We just can't afford another summer of buying players without balls.

we put a bid in for parker 2 years ago, Rafa would not pay the asking price and got a player that was unfit and is now out on load instead.

we cut ties with clubs like southend under Rafa and started to only look overseas. happy to say that we have now taken going to see clubs like southend again under Kenny.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun May 06, 2012 5:21 pm

roberto green » Sun May 06, 2012 4:55 pm wrote:
Boxscarf » Sun May 06, 2012 3:49 pm wrote:According to Christian Purslow, this club was only one day away from being in administration. That puts everything in perspective.

Well that's reassuring, let's go and waste another 100m on Sh*t players to celebrate.

yawn
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby D___C » Sun May 06, 2012 5:23 pm

Thommo's perm » Sun May 06, 2012 9:59 am wrote:Suarez was anonymous until Carroll came on you fu'c'king tit
:laugh:

Oh dear Thompson.. and who WAS on the field with Suarez?.... Downing, Henderson, direct basic players bought to supply Carroll. One on the left, run to the byline swing in crosses/the other to swing in early crosses from the right.

Not only does Carroll not compliment Suarez, neither do the direct basic 3rd rate british players whom we pi'ssed over 70million on.

Comolli was fired because of this transfer policy.

We should have been buying players to compliment our best player... we did the opposite.
D___C

Postby The_Rock » Sun May 06, 2012 5:53 pm

lakes10 » Sun May 06, 2012 11:20 pm wrote:
we put a bid in for parker 2 years ago, Rafa would not pay the asking price and got a player that was unfit and is now out on load instead.

we cut ties with clubs like southend under Rafa and started to only look overseas. happy to say that we have now taken going to see clubs like southend again under Kenny.

whoa...chill out.

I am not asking rafa to come back (but if he wants to come back as assistant to KK...i have no problem with it).

You have to remember..i was one of rafa's biggest critics here a few seasons ago. Anyway...what has having ties with clubs like southend do for us ? When newcastle, evershite, and even fullham buying cheaper (and looks like better) players from aboard and u go on about having ties with some league 2 side....

How will having ties with southend move us ahead ? Do they even have a successful youth system. I mean if we have a tieup with southampton or boro (yeah..i know downing is from there...but adam johnson was from there too)...i would be more estatic.

Lets not make this about KK vs Benitez.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Sun May 06, 2012 6:27 pm

The_Rock » Sun May 06, 2012 5:53 pm wrote:
lakes10 » Sun May 06, 2012 11:20 pm wrote:

whoa...chill out.

I am not asking rafa to come back (but if he wants to come back as assistant to KK...i have no problem with it).

You have to remember..i was one of rafa's biggest critics here a few seasons ago. Anyway...what has having ties with clubs like southend do for us ? When newcastle, evershite, and even fullham buying cheaper (and looks like better) players from aboard and u go on about having ties with some league 2 side....

How will having ties with southend move us ahead ? Do they even have a successful youth system. I mean if we have a tieup with southampton or boro (yeah..i know downing is from there...but adam johnson was from there too)...i would be more estatic.

Lets not make this about KK vs Benitez.

lol mate i did not mean it to read like that, this is nothing to do with a kenny v Rafa thing, Rafa was not the one to cut the ties to the lower english teams, that come from the board.

ties to lower clubs means we get a call to say come and have a look at this young kid and the likes of man u dont get asked to see him.

big Stan C comes to mind, southend would not talk to any other club untill Liverpool got to talk to him first.
even down to cutting ties with Crewe was a bad thing, i loved going up there foe the pre season game, i think thats also back on next season.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boxscarf » Sun May 06, 2012 7:33 pm

The days where a manager in England could drive from Liverpool to Newquay, pick up a player from two leagues below and help transform them into title winning players is dead and buried. It might have worked forty years ago when Shankly was our manager, but it's not realistically going to work now. Take Charlie Adam as an example, a Rangers reject who establishes himself as an important focal point in a Blackpool side which did well to come up to the Premier League, but whom weren't good enough to stay in the division! It's rare that a player playing for a lower tier club in the Premier league will be able to make the step up to the standards expected at a club like ours. Only Antonio Valencia has managed it in the last few years and even then he's hardly a world beater is he?

I see Lakes is harping on about Stan Collymore, if I was Roy Evans with hindsight I'd have gone for that Tony Yeboah over Stan Collymore, he was a genuine quality striker and I'd have probably gone for LeTissier as he was also a genuine quality footballer. These players played for weaker teams than Liverpool football club, but where are you likely going to find another LeTissier from in say the Championship or the football league? Realistically you aren't! Oxlade-Chamberlain who is still a young lad with potential for the future does look like something special, but then so did Theo Walcott several years ago when Arsenal signed him.

If this club wants to become a successful club then poaching youngsters from clubs like Southend and Crewe isn't the way to go about doing that. Rafa quite rightly knew this and decided to look abroad foryoung talent.
Boxscarf

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun May 06, 2012 7:35 pm

It doesn't matter where a player comes from as long as he is good enough. The club has had just as many foreign players fall on their backside in recent years so they aren't always the answer.
Benny The Noon

Postby Boxscarf » Sun May 06, 2012 7:38 pm

Benny The Noon » Sun May 06, 2012 6:35 pm wrote:It doesn't matter where a player comes from as long as he is good enough. The club has had just as many foreign players fall on their backside in recent years so they aren't always the answer.

If you look at the most successful teams in England at the moment, a vast majority of the playing staff at those clubs are foreigners.
Boxscarf

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun May 06, 2012 7:42 pm

The top players are foriegn but they come at a price.

It's fine for City and Chelsea to pay over the odds in fees and give players over 200 grand a week - we can't.
Benny The Noon

Postby Boxscarf » Sun May 06, 2012 7:48 pm

Benny The Noon » Sun May 06, 2012 6:42 pm wrote:The top players are foriegn but they come at a price.

It's fine for City and Chelsea to pay over the odds in fees and give players over 200 grand a week - we can't.

When it comes to paying over the odds for players, we're better than everyone else it would seem and we can afford to pay players ridiculous wages. FSG though won't do it as they want to vehemently stick to the FFP ruling and that's very noble of them to do so at a time when Manchester City have no qualms about throwing money at players willy, nilly! FSG want us to work within a frame work and want the club to become self-sufficient and therefore sustainable through the money [the club] generates! FSG are running us like a business where as Man City and Chelsea are effectively just a play-thing.

We can attract genuine quality and quality need not come in the shape and form of someone from a top European team. Newcastle have shown that you don't need to break the bank or sign International superstars in order to create a genuinely good football team.
Boxscarf

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun May 06, 2012 7:51 pm

Newcastle are not the standard - they are a one season wonder who will return to their mid table depths next season with players like Cisse struggling for goals

I'm glad our owners want to run the club sensibly, I don't want us to be in debt or close to admin.
Benny The Noon

Postby Boxscarf » Sun May 06, 2012 7:59 pm

Benny The Noon » Sun May 06, 2012 6:51 pm wrote:Newcastle are not the standard - they are a one season wonder who will return to their mid table depths next season with players like Cisse struggling for goals

That is what you hope and you also hope that this is just an off season for us! Hopefully next season we'll have a swapsie and Newcastle will be 9th and we'll be challenging for a top four spot. However I can see Newcastle becoming a better team next season and I think Pap!ss Cisse will continue to flourish at Newcastle. He might even be poached by someone like Manchester United before too long! I remember people dismissing Demba Ba when he was relegated with West Ham, but he's walked into Newcastle and done an exceptional job. Not bad for someone with dodgy knees.
Boxscarf

Postby lakes10 » Sun May 06, 2012 8:02 pm

Benny The Noon » Sun May 06, 2012 7:35 pm wrote:It doesn't matter where a player comes from as long as he is good enough. The club has had just as many foreign players fall on their backside in recent years so they aren't always the answer.

my point is that we missed out at looking at young english players as we cut our links with feeder clubs, limks that have now been put back in place since xmas.

your right many overseas players dont make it, just got to look at our last 60 overseas players to see that.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun May 06, 2012 8:03 pm

Missed out on who Lakes ?
Benny The Noon

Postby Greavesie » Sun May 06, 2012 8:07 pm

lakes10 » Sun May 06, 2012 8:02 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Sun May 06, 2012 7:35 pm wrote:It doesn't matter where a player comes from as long as he is good enough. The club has had just as many foreign players fall on their backside in recent years so they aren't always the answer.

my point is that we missed out at looking at young english players as we cut our links with feeder clubs, limks that have now been put back in place since xmas.

your right many overseas players dont make it, just got to look at our last 60 overseas players to see that.

don't want young English players anyway, they're sh!t
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion