Current squad

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby metalhead » Sat May 05, 2012 7:55 pm

Spearing, Downing and Henderson are not good enough for this club and should be sold for better players
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby akumaface » Sat May 05, 2012 8:12 pm

metalhead » Sat May 05, 2012 6:55 pm wrote:Spearing, Downing and Henderson are not good enough for this club and should be sold for better players

Hard to find any takers now....For Downing, he is still useful in a way but Hendo really puzzled me. To me, seems Jonjo had a better upside and had performed better than Hendo. Combining with bad players with a non tactical manager, it just doesn't add up and doom to be a disaster...
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby D___C » Sat May 05, 2012 8:13 pm

Weakest squad in my lifetime (20 years).. and given we dominated for the 3 decades before that then u are going back to the 1950s since we were this bad.. which is exactly how it is league-wise. The 100m outlay by Kenny effectively destroyed any chance of progress. We didn't have the luxury of having a strong team before that outlay to get away with wasting it on pap. We needed that 100m to be spent on quality. We brought in one first class player, and a decent left back. The rest p1ssed away.

Said it many many times, our squad is riddled with average. Jay Spearing wearing a Liverpool shirt in a pre season friendly.. ok..a cup final? Dear God
D___C

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat May 05, 2012 8:55 pm

D___C » Sat May 05, 2012 7:13 pm wrote:Weakest squad in my lifetime (20 years).. and given we dominated for the 3 decades before that then u are going back to the 1950s since we were this bad.. which is exactly how it is league-wise. The 100m outlay by Kenny effectively destroyed any chance of progress. We didn't have the luxury of having a strong team before that outlay to get away with wasting it on pap. We needed that 100m to be spent on quality. We brought in one first class player, and a decent left back. The rest p1ssed away.

Said it many many times, our squad is riddled with average. Jay Spearing wearing a Liverpool shirt in a pre season friendly.. ok..a cup final? Dear God

carroll will lead the line in our next title winning side, mark my words.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby D___C » Sat May 05, 2012 10:43 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat May 05, 2012 7:55 pm wrote:
D___C » Sat May 05, 2012 7:13 pm wrote:Weakest squad in my lifetime (20 years).. and given we dominated for the 3 decades before that then u are going back to the 1950s since we were this bad.. which is exactly how it is league-wise. The 100m outlay by Kenny effectively destroyed any chance of progress. We didn't have the luxury of having a strong team before that outlay to get away with wasting it on pap. We needed that 100m to be spent on quality. We brought in one first class player, and a decent left back. The rest p1ssed away.

Feel churlish having even a hint of negativity towards andy today after his brilliant display, but the reason i am not a fan is due to the fact he is not a partner for Suarez, and it is Suarez whom we should be building our team around, playing the manner that gets the best of of him and alongside similar players who compliment him.

Would a Barca fan say... "Ibrahimovic will lead the line in our next title winning side"... at the expense of the team being catered toward Messi?

Suarez is head and shoulders our best player now (Stevie is still world class but not quite what he was) and its him who we should be building the team around.
D___C

Postby Boxscarf » Sat May 05, 2012 11:31 pm

Already Gerrard's come out and said "We'll be force to be reckoned with next season", yes Steven, I've heard this all before. "Next season is our season", "we'll be better" etc. I've been hearing this nonsense since 1994. I was 5 then, I'm now 23, so I've been hearing that for 18 years and tbh I'm a bit fed up of hearing that now.
Boxscarf

Postby lakes10 » Sat May 05, 2012 11:54 pm

metalhead » Sat May 05, 2012 7:55 pm wrote:Spearing, Downing and Henderson are not good enough for this club and should be sold for better players

then you must replace them with homegrown players!
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat May 05, 2012 11:57 pm

D___C » Sat May 05, 2012 9:43 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat May 05, 2012 7:55 pm wrote:

Feel churlish having even a hint of negativity towards andy today after his brilliant display, but the reason i am not a fan is due to the fact he is not a partner for Suarez, and it is Suarez whom we should be building our team around, playing the manner that gets the best of of him and alongside similar players who compliment him.

Would a Barca fan say... "Ibrahimovic will lead the line in our next title winning side"... at the expense of the team being catered toward Messi?

Suarez is head and shoulders our best player now (Stevie is still world class but not quite what he was) and its him who we should be building the team around.

i dont agree mate, carroll and suarez can play together in the same attack but they cant be a 2 man `lone raiders` attack in the sense that gerrard and torres were, i look at carroll and suarez like i look at aldridge and beardsley, aldo and peter couldnt have been a 2 man strike force like torres and gerrard because aldo was about as quick as dirk kuyt but when surrounded by steve mcmahon, ray houghton and of course john barnes we played some of the most attacking football ever seen in the english game.
carroll and suarez arent the problem, they have shown against good sides like everton and chelsea that they can play well together, but the support they get from the midfield and the flanks is.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby friendlyguy33 » Sun May 06, 2012 12:22 am

I wonder if the club might look at Spearing and a couple of others and think about moving them on. Also although Shelvey has done well recently I don't think he would have done any better against Chelsea today. Dalglish I suspect was banking on Adam returning for this game or not being injured in the first place. Maybe Henderson should have started alongside Gerrard in the middle with Kuyt on the right and either Carroll or Bellamy up front.

The decision not to sign someone in January to fill in for Lucas is certainly looking costly on today's performance from the midfield because it looked like that Gerrard was afraid to get too far forward in case Spearing got outmuscled and we got caught again on the break like with the first goal.
friendlyguy33

Postby Octsky » Sun May 06, 2012 5:41 am

i think Hendo will come good, made a few good tackle in the final and he has stamina. really really good stamina.
just need to work on his shooting and creativity.
Carroll, after 1.5 season is looking good too. he is a big game player no doubt, but can he show the consistency?
Spearo on the other hand, a good utility player but not a big game player yet.
Downing has ability no doubt but he is a nervous wreck, put in 2-3 teasing crosses in the 2nd half. will be better next season.
Adam will not start every game but with his passing ability and relatively cheap price when we bought him, we wont lose out on him.

Sadly we have to move Kyut now, we need some new blood in the right wing. sign a true red winger and Sterling to understudy. and sign another good forward to backup Suarez and Carroll and a DM to backup Lucas. Downing and Bellers will fight for the left slot. Agger, Skertel, Coates and Carra (?) will fight for CB. so we may have to sign another CB. i cant wait for next season under Kenny.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sun May 06, 2012 5:46 am

lakes10 » Sat May 05, 2012 10:54 pm wrote:
metalhead » Sat May 05, 2012 7:55 pm wrote:Spearing, Downing and Henderson are not good enough for this club and should be sold for better players

NO WE DON'T!
Gerrard, Johnson, Carroll, Kelly, Flanagan, Sterling, Robinson, Shelvey, Bellamy and Brad Jones are considered home-grown players.
Each team requires 8 of their 25 players to be home-grown. There are 10 names above, and that's even without mentioning Joe Cole and other reserve players like Suso, Morgan, Coady, etc.
Get your facts right!
maypaxvobiscum

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sun May 06, 2012 7:51 am

It looks very likely that Maxi and Kuyt will leave. Maxi is capable of being a passenger in games, but he is one of the most intelligent players in the team. He's got this striker's instinct which is why he had a very good goal ratio despite rarely playing. As for Kuyt, he's not playing as well as he could but he's nevertheless incredibly hardworking and opposition players rarely have enough time on the ball with Kuyt energetically pressurizing them. And both their attitude have been top notch. You don't see them going to the press complaining about the lack of football the way other prima donnas would. I don't deny that both players aren't world beaters and are on the wane due to age but that just goes to show how poorly players like Downing and Henderson have performed. Downing had his best games against Championship opposition. He constantly makes aimless crosses into the box hoping someone would get on the end of them. I've never seen a more ineffective left winger in my entire life. Henderson is out of his depth. He's not good enough for a team that's chasing a ECL spot. I don't even know what position he plays in, and I don't think he's too sure of it himself.

And while certain factions of the fanbase continue to live in the past hoping Kenny will right the wrong, we continue to plummet down the table because of the ignorance of talent outside of UK. Arsenal just signed Podolski, Chelsea signed Marko Marin. The season isn't over yet and those 2 clubs have no guarantee of ECL football but are still able to attract 2 very good players while some of you on the other hand use the lack of European football as an excuse for the club's inability to secure the signatures of top talent. And nobody is asking the club to break the bank. Look at Demba Ba and Ciise at Newcastle! The most ironic thing about the Marin and Podolski transfer is that they are both Germans and Germans are notoriously known to prefer staying in the Bundesliga, even though there are an exceptional few.

The thing about having a major restructuring of the team is that there'll be a lack of familiarity between the players but that can be sorted in time and games together. If the quality is there, it will happen. Gerrard is getting old, and Suarez is human. If the Uruguayan gets injured, we're screwed. Look at how badly Lucas is being missed! Spearing for all his heart, is a Championship player at best. It's funny how some posters use "lightweight" as an excuse against signing certain foreign players when our very own Jay looks like a midget standing and competing for headers against Mikel. The Chelsea team yesterday was beatable. Sure you might say Barcelona struggled but that was different as Chelsea parked the bus against them and ugly football prevailed. Chelsea last night were much more open and there were areas we could have exploited.

Players Out: Jordan Henderson, Jay Spearing, Stewart Downing, Joe Cole, Stephan Darby, Maxi Rod, Doni, Danny Wilson, Peter Gulacsi, Fabio Aurelio, Daniel Pacheco and Charlie Adam.

Players In: (Any 4 of the following) Luuk De Jong, Patricio Rodriguez, Luciano Narsingh, Javi Martinez, Nico Kranjcar, Adam Johnson, Gaston Ramirez.

We lack penetration, dynamism and attacking instincts and these players will be able to provide the sparks which are missing.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby kartiek » Sun May 06, 2012 8:44 am

Octsky » Sun May 06, 2012 4:41 am wrote:i think Hendo will come good, made a few good tackle in the final and he has stamina. really really good stamina.
just need to work on his shooting and creativity.
Carroll, after 1.5 season is looking good too. he is a big game player no doubt, but can he show the consistency?
Spearo on the other hand, a good utility player but not a big game player yet.
Downing has ability no doubt but he is a nervous wreck, put in 2-3 teasing crosses in the 2nd half. will be better next season.
Adam will not start every game but with his passing ability and relatively cheap price when we bought him, we wont lose out on him.

Sadly we have to move Kyut now, we need some new blood in the right wing. sign a true red winger and Sterling to understudy. and sign another good forward to backup Suarez and Carroll and a DM to backup Lucas. Downing and Bellers will fight for the left slot. Agger, Skertel, Coates and Carra (?) will fight for CB. so we may have to sign another CB. i cant wait for next season under Kenny.

I'm not too confident of Henderson's chances to be honest. The problem with the lad is that he really doesn't do anything productive with the ball at his feet. He needs to at least develop that ability to run at players and through gaps between players. This is the most crucial thing for a proper midfielder to be able to do, that's how space and chances are created at the end of the day from the midfield. The kid has good technique, never misplaces passes, but he needs to up his game a notch and try and develop a more attacking instinct to his game. He has had a lot of time this season, but I'm afraid, not much to show for!
kartiek

Postby lakes10 » Sun May 06, 2012 9:03 am

maypaxvobiscum » Sun May 06, 2012 5:46 am wrote:
lakes10 » Sat May 05, 2012 10:54 pm wrote:

NO WE DON'T!
Gerrard, Johnson, Carroll, Kelly, Flanagan, Sterling, Robinson, Shelvey, Bellamy and Brad Jones are considered home-grown players.
Each team requires 8 of their 25 players to be home-grown. There are 10 names above, and that's even without mentioning Joe Cole and other reserve players like Suso, Morgan, Coady, etc.
Get your facts right!

we had to buy more homegrown players, under Rafa Liverpool had the highest percentage in Europe of expatriate players (non homegrown)within our squad, measuring 90%

Kenny had to sort that out, yes we ended up with a few players that did not cut it but we still need 8 out of 25 homegrown players.....and i think that most have to be under 25 years of age (not sure about that)
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Sun May 06, 2012 9:53 am

Personally I'd keep Henderson. I think he has potential to be a real decent footballer. My qualm with him is which in essence is more of a qualm with Kenny is; he's had too much game time this season. From now and next season onwards he needs to be edged into the team from a peripheral starting point. He isn't the finished article and I think it was asking too much of Henderson to come in and be a regular in the starting eleven. He needs to come off the bench more and play with less pressure on his shoulders to flourish IMO.

Downing on the other hand should be off loaded, perhaps Adam as well. And we need to bring in a good few quality players to try and get back into the race for forth  :down: 'race for forth'  :down: .

We at least need 1 goal poacher.
A CM to ease Gerrard out of the side (tall ask I know).
a creative midfielder to link attack and midfield.
another DM.
A LM and a RM.

6 positions I think we could at least do with and 6 players who could walk into the side and do a job, problem is can we attract the kind of ilk I'm talking about, not sure.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion