Current Squad- who should we sell

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon May 02, 2016 10:14 pm

My choices have nothing to do with the swansea result?
:no
Thommo's perm

Postby Reg » Tue May 03, 2016 1:10 am

Eagle, your list is not that different to mine.

Mine's not just based on who can/will influence first team selection/games but also who is quite frankly a waste of money (wages). If they're not in the good enough then lets stop wasting money.

We have to have an objective, Klopp must have 11 names on a sheet of paper probably of whom only 6 are currently at the club, ok, cut out the weakest 5 and start freeing up funds.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Tue May 03, 2016 1:19 pm

What has frustrated me over the last few years, is the biannual clear out that occurs, and new players are purchased without learning the lessons of previous rebuilds.

We keep buying average players in large numbers, and no real prospects that will add something. As an example we went out and spent millions on players like Downing, Markovic, Hendo, Benteke, Ballo, Allen, Mig, and others who at the time did not really improve the side. Yes, in the case of Hendo he has trained on and become a decent player but the others did not. Downing was a disaster and the others look limited even now. Also take the money spent on young players, Illori and Tex for instance. Both not good enough (although they are decent players). We can look further back at signings such as Coates.

I think it is fair that admirable though it is, the clubs ethos in buying young British talent at inflated prices has failed.

What I want to see, is the money raised from selling the squad players invested in one or at the most two players that will come in and make a difference. There are a lot of young players on the books who to be honest are not going to step up to the first team. These should go as is normal at every club in the league. Most will do a job in the lower leagues, and some we may see again when they are older and wiser. But harsh as it is, players such as Stewart, illori, Tex will never become regulars and need to move on.

We have a lot of money sitting around at the moment. We have a decent spine, with some great players and we do not need wholesale changes. One or two world class players would make all the difference.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Tue May 03, 2016 1:19 pm

What has frustrated me over the last few years, is the biannual clear out that occurs, and new players are purchased without learning the lessons of previous rebuilds.

We keep buying average players in large numbers, and no real prospects that will add something. As an example we went out and spent millions on players like Downing, Markovic, Hendo, Benteke, Ballo, Allen, Mig, and others who at the time did not really improve the side. Yes, in the case of Hendo he has trained on and become a decent player but the others did not. Downing was a disaster and the others look limited even now. Also take the money spent on young players, Illori and Tex for instance. Both not good enough (although they are decent players). We can look further back at signings such as Coates.

I think it is fair that admirable though it is, the clubs ethos in buying young British talent at inflated prices has failed.

What I want to see, is the money raised from selling the squad players invested in one or at the most two players that will come in and make a difference. There are a lot of young players on the books who to be honest are not going to step up to the first team. These should go as is normal at every club in the league. Most will do a job in the lower leagues, and some we may see again when they are older and wiser. But harsh as it is, players such as Stewart, illori, Tex will never become regulars and need to move on.

We have a lot of money sitting around at the moment. We have a decent spine, with some great players and we do not need wholesale changes. One or two world class players would make all the difference.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Tue May 03, 2016 2:25 pm

This is true and sadly we seem to say the same thing at the end of every season. Problem is with every new manager we have have faith in him to find those WC players, regardless of the past. First came Hodgson who bought his players, then came Kenny who was also backed and bought his players while selling the poor players Hodgson bought. Along cam Rodgers who had a different philosophy and sold Kenny's players at a big discount ( Carroll was sold for 15 million for example) then went on to spend huge money on what we now call average players ( with the occasional gem). Now comes Klopp with yet another style and he now wants his own players. We cannot dwell on the past if we want to move on and the owners need to back the manager on who he wants, despite the poor signings from the past.

As it was in Kenny we trust

Then in Brendan we trust

It must now be in Klopp we trust. This time I feel the owners have learned by bringing in a better manager and hopefully a better transfer strategy, time will tell.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue May 03, 2016 2:54 pm

crazyhorse » Tue May 03, 2016 1:19 pm wrote:we went out and spent millions on players like Downing, Markovic, Hendo, Benteke, Ballo, Allen, Mig, and others who at the time did not really improve the side.

Just gotta say that I think Allen has been a more than decent addition to the  squad and Markovic  was/is a talent WE failed to encourage   :kungfu:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue May 03, 2016 4:34 pm

I'm not sure our squad is quite as bad as we think, after all we have beaten the likes of City, Chelsea, United, Everton and Dortmund this season and you don't do that if you are utterly shyte. Don't get me wrong we obviously need to strengthen of course we do but I think a lot of our problems are down to the mental flakiness of the players. I think a lot of them deep down just don't believe they'll ever win the title here and I think they take that attitude onto the pitch with them, hence the capitulation's at places like Watford and Newcastle.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue May 10, 2016 12:56 pm

Rumours doing the rounds today that Spurs want Lallana for £20m and West Ham want Bekteke for £25m....would take both offers to be honest as both are squad players at best and I'm sure we could improve on them given Klopp's quality.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Tue May 10, 2016 2:03 pm

I wouldn't sell Lallana but I'd definitely sell Benteke for those money. I like Benteke personally, even after this season, but he'll never make it with us. He'll be very good at West Ham though.

So, football manager time. This is who I'd move on:

Important players:

Skrtel - £4-5m
Henderson - £20m
Benteke - £20-25m
Balotelli - £10m
Markovic - £10m

TOTAL: £64-70m

Not so important players:

Adam Bogdan - ?
Jose Enrique - free
Andre Wisdom - £5m
Tiago Illori - £3-5m
Kevin Stewart - £4-5m (I like the kid but I don't think he'll make it here, best sell)
Carlos Teixeira - £4-5m (same as above)
Luis Alberto - £5m

TOTAL
: £21-25m
BOTH TOTAL: £85-95m

Since I'm getting these prices out of my a$$, let's cut the total down to £70m, a more realistic income. Plus some £50m the owners would give Klopp, a total of £120m sounds like a good amount to spend for the summer.

We don't need much anyway. This is what I'd spend our money on:

1. NEW MF - £30-40m (priority)
2. NEW LB - £20m
3. NEW WINGER - £20-30m (doesn't need to be anyone special. Gotze, who's not getting much game time at Bayern, would do for me)
4. NEW GOALIE - £20m

TOTAL: £90-110m, would even have something to spare
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue May 10, 2016 2:26 pm

I'd like to see Markovic given another crack. I think he'd work well under Klopp.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue May 10, 2016 3:07 pm

7_Kewell » Tue May 10, 2016 2:26 pm wrote:I'd like to see Markovic given another crack. I think he'd work well under Klopp.

:nod  :nod  :nod  :nod  :nod  Couldn't agreee more.

Might not work out BUT don't think Bodgers ever truly gave the fella a proper go.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby ethanr » Tue May 10, 2016 4:25 pm

woof woof ! » Tue May 10, 2016 6:07 am wrote:
7_Kewell » Tue May 10, 2016 2:26 pm wrote:I'd like to see Markovic given another crack. I think he'd work well under Klopp.

:nod  :nod  :nod  :nod  :nod  Couldn't agreee more.

Might not work out BUT don't think Bodgers ever truly gave the fella a proper go.

And he's young enough to still hold some value if it doesn't work out for him here, but it doesn't look like he's been great at Fener.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby woof woof ! » Tue May 10, 2016 5:45 pm

ethanr » Tue May 10, 2016 4:25 pm wrote:And he's young enough to still hold some value if it doesn't work out for him here, but it doesn't look like he's been great at Fener.

???

Haven't watched him at Fernerbache  mate but one of our members in Turkey has often posted positive reports re Marko's performance.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby damjan193 » Tue May 10, 2016 6:17 pm

Nah, not for me, I'd get rid. Markovic had enough chances last season and didn't really impress me. You may argue that it was Rodgers' fault but he hasn't set the world alight in Turkey either. With Coutinho, Firmino, Lallana, Milner, the potential arrival of a new AM (Gotze?), and the youngsters such as Ojo, Ibe, Canos etc, there's just no room for Markovic IMO.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby leeroy74 » Thu May 19, 2016 12:31 pm

I'd keep Sakho, Lovren, Clyne, Can, Sturridge, Courtino, Ibe, Origi, Allen
I'd keep as back up... Migs, Milner, Lucas

get shut sharpish...   Moreno, Henderson, Benteke, Firmino
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion